Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
I don't cackle when I cry but sometimes when I'm really super miserable I make sounds like a dying moose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Avshalom posted:

:3: it would be super cool in fact

i have no doubt in my heart that the ladythread is excellent, i'm not posting here for validation. just because sometimes it kind of helps to whine really really loudly like a mosquito and know that people can hear me

It wouldn't be to try to make us look good, but to try to help you feel good when you feel bad. Lord knows I know what it feels like to feel bad.

So many feels in this post.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

GNU Order posted:

Ladythread do any of you remember the A/T thread about the person whose roommate (or friend) had like anime spirit-boyfriends? Was that one of y'all?

You mean Ask me about growing up with a girl who thinks she's married to anime guys? That wasn't posted by one of the regulars in here I don't think. It's still current, it's just fallen off the first page of Ask/Tell.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Kimmalah posted:

You mean Ask me about growing up with a girl who thinks she's married to anime guys? That wasn't posted by one of the regulars in here I don't think. It's still current, it's just fallen off the first page of Ask/Tell.

Yeah, thanks.

I'm going in, see you all on the other side

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Avshalom posted:

once again the ladythread has mentored me through my time of crisis and i feel a bit better :) i don't even know what's going on with me, i've been having these nutty moodswings that send me from fine to suicidal and back up again in like an hour. i think they're too fast to be a mood disorder and too powerful to be a normal reaction to events so idk :sigh: i will consult a medical physician

i really really appreciate having you guys here, it's hard to express it. last time i had someone i could talk to online, i ended up going off at her while i was in a particularly bad state and she chose that moment to stand up for herself (she told me during the ensuing screaming match that she'd made a new year's resolution to be more assertive and this was her first opportunity to go through with it) and tell me that everybody secretly hated me and i was just a drama queen who would never have any friends and would end up driving everyone away for the rest of my life and i was beyond hope and she wanted me to know that everyone was just pretending to like me and they secretly talked behind my back about how horrible i was. that was three years ago and i've never been able to open up since. you're beautiful people i love you :qq:

Wow drat that's horrible. I haven't been here long but you seem like a pretty okay person :)

p.s. do you do commissions? I heard you are an arter.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

amarantinesky posted:

And depression etc make you paranoid that people are avoiding you and gossiping because to some extent they DO start avoiding you. They don't want to bother you or deal with your issues, etc. It's because it's difficult to deal with mental illness but it's not your fault, it's the unfortunate effect of brain issues. Depression is a terrible cycle because you think people hate you so you withdraw, which makes others avoid you and confirms your belief that everyone hates you, repeat over and over. :(

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Pessimism posted:

I don't cackle when I cry but sometimes when I'm really super miserable I make sounds like a dying moose.

I just make really awful "Hyuoo hyuooo HYUOOOOO" noises, no one's gonna be paying me to cry on TV

Luckily I don't cry much anymore. Being/doing better at/with mental health stuff owns, you can look back and be all 'christ I'm not great but things are sooooo much better than they were'

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

GNU Order posted:

Ladythread do any of you remember the A/T thread about the person whose roommate (or friend) had like anime spirit-boyfriends? Was that one of y'all?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444416

You are right, it was a/t!

E: oh, beated.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

GNU Order posted:

Yeah, thanks.

I'm going in, see you all on the other side

It's like 175 pages of pure crazy, so good luck!

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I don't get really self-loathing like I did before medication but I still get the paranoia that people are saying really awful things about me behind my back. my method of dealing with that has been to acknowledge that I am very much not a perfect person but that I should try the best I can, and no one can judge me for that

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 3, 2014

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

amarantinesky posted:

Aww thank you. Honestly that's why I'm really anxious about making new friends irl, I've just had lovely experiences recently. I feel bad because she couldn't make me better and since she's a control freak, she couldn't handle that situation. Also it was like two days before college graduation haha.

Well if it makes you feel any better someday we'll become good friends and I'll touch your boobie when you least expect it. That's a promise! Not gonna mislead you like all those other people.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Pessimism posted:

i was meeting with a higher up about applying to a grad school program and i told him my mental illness sob story since its relevant as to why my gpa is terrible, and im still at that point where ill start crying when i talk about this poo poo one on one but i also have nervous laughter so i was both laughing and crying and im sure i made a very weird impression on him

sorry dr ramu

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Pessimism posted:

Why are we all such awful broken people?

Now, now. We're very nice broken people.

Fabulist posted:

warning I ended up talking about my kid a lot in this post. skip if you hate breeders.

I used do this to my kid, I'd poke his tongue (not too far back). When he was a newborn he'd react almost exactly like a cat, all confused and mildly angry. When he got a bit older, like 8+ months, it made him laugh. Then he started getting teeth and I don't do that any more

I also didn't do it if like, I'd just changed a massively gross diaper and hadn't washed my hands. Just in case that worry popped into anyone's head. Although apparently the 'don't overprotect them from germs' thing is true, we haven't over-protected him, and he legit has made it two and a half years on this earth without a cold/flu/anything. Just teething pain grouchiness.

Earlier today I was changing the sheets on his crib mattress, and when he saw me start to haul the mattress out of the crib, he went and grabbed the other end of it and grunted a lot :3: When I got it out (it's heavy, I'm short, the crib is tall, it's like a Cadillac of cribs) and threw it on the ground he went "Whew"

Your kid sounds very cute :)

You know that scene from Knocked Up where Seth Rogan is playing fetch with the kid? Sometimes i forget that you play with babies different than cats and dogs. I accidentally will pet a baby's head like a dog, and I have let them chew on my hands like a puppy.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Chiba City Blues posted:

i was meeting with a higher up about applying to a grad school program and i told him my mental illness sob story since its relevant as to why my gpa is terrible, and im still at that point where ill start crying when i talk about this poo poo one on one but i also have nervous laughter so i was both laughing and crying and im sure i made a very weird impression on him

sorry dr ramu

oh man I totally feel you there, I loving hate when the waterworks start up while I'm trying to be taken seriously

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Portals posted:

oh man I totally feel you there, I loving hate when the waterworks start up while I'm trying to be taken seriously

he was actually really sweet about it and pretty much said "we shouldnt penalize you for having a mental illness, you're trying to get your life back together and i'm not going to hold that against you" and he's the guy whos pretty much going to make the final decision on my application so i felt pretty good about that :unsmith:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

If any of you follow Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, particularly the episode about Amy's Baking Company, Amy and Sami are now accusing Gordon Ramsay of sexually harassing Amy :lol: Best train wreck I have ever seen on tv.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Portals posted:

I don't get really self-loathing like I did before medication but I still get the paranoia that people are saying really awful things about me behind my back. my method of dealing with that has been to acknowledge that I am very much not a perfect person but that I should try the best I can, and no one can judge me for that

That sounds like a good way to think.

I was doing good for a while, but I've felt constantly on the verge of tears for like a week now. Plus I've stopped picking up he phone when family calls and my one friend is sad that I'm not trying to meet up with her when she's only an hour away. I just can't deal with more than the basics of living right now.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Schmeichy posted:

Now, now. We're very nice broken people.

Maybe you are.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Chiba City Blues posted:

he was actually really sweet about it and pretty much said "we shouldnt penalize you for having a mental illness, you're trying to get your life back together and i'm not going to hold that against you" and he's the guy whos pretty much going to make the final decision on my application so i felt pretty good about that :unsmith:

This warms my sad heart. I cut off contact with all my professors after undergrad even though I liked them a lot and wanted to go to grad school. For some reason I felt ashamed of not finding a job right away or knowing what I wanted to do and couldn't admit any of that. Brain problems.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Suzuki Method posted:

If any of you follow Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, particularly the episode about Amy's Baking Company, Amy and Sami are now accusing Gordon Ramsay of sexually harassing Amy :lol: Best train wreck I have ever seen on tv.

pro pro click do ittt

her 70 year old lizard husband claims to be a gangster too it's amazing

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Zombieland isn't as good of a movie as I remembered, and I didn't remember it being very good in the first place

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
You all posted too much while I was cleaning.

Assorted responses to talking points:

-Thyroid disorders are lots more common in women and often undiagnosed because the symptoms are just a mess of things that can fit other more common problems and are only properly revealed in specific blood tests that often aren't done until you're already well outside the desireable limits and pursued everything else. The way I explained it to my SIL the other night was imagine the master conductor of an orchestra is conducting at the wrong tempo, everything is effectively being thrown out but some instruments will be more noticeable than others. It's even more fun when you're autoimmune because the thyroid can go in fits and burst of proper/high/low function.

-I'm glad the under the tongue trick worked! I take these like horse sized multivitamins and another fat vitD/Calcium supplement and I can do them both together with the tongue trick.

-Taking your thyroid meds forever isn't a hugely big deal, IMO, but I was on birth control most of my life successfully also so, like, taking a teeny tiny pill in the morning every morning is no biggie. Also I have mastered pill swallowing with this one neat trick the doctors don't want you to know about. I guess it's annoying that I can't eat breakfast immediately but I was never a breakfast person.

-There have been points in my life where my anxiety got so bad if I went to the mall and heard kids laughing I'd automatically assume it was about me. I have really vivid memories particularly of being younger and mum sending me to get McDonalds for the family and worrying that everyone was laughing at me because they thought I was going to eat all the food myself.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Schmeichy posted:

This warms my sad heart. I cut off contact with all my professors after undergrad even though I liked them a lot and wanted to go to grad school. For some reason I felt ashamed of not finding a job right away or knowing what I wanted to do and couldn't admit any of that. Brain problems.

i have another professor from my old major i keep in contact with who was very sweet towards me while i was taking her classes even though i was a terrible student then, like she new something was up other than "doesnt care about class/school/subject material, and when i took her class after i took some time off and did well she told me in her office how proud she was of me
shes writing a letter of recommendation for my application now :)

but ive also had professors that i could just tell that they didnt like me and knew i didnt belong
well i did end up switching majors after getting my head on straight so i really didn't belong but drat you dont gotta be a dick about it

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

amarantinesky posted:

really wanting to go drinking
:ohdear:

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I Get headaches

i have gnarly allergies

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Make your hair like rainbow dash's or rainbow bright or whatever the punk pony is.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Captain Backslap posted:

Make your hair like rainbow dash's or rainbow bright or whatever the punk pony is.

I think it's Murdermane

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I have mango jelly

U jealous

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

amarantinesky posted:

I make the worst posts don't worry I'll probably delete them when the light of day illuminates my shame.
no it is me, my posts are the worst

i'm kicking myself irl because i've ruined the last place on the internet where people don't think i'm a horrible unlikable gently caress-up

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 3, 2014

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Chiba City Blues posted:

i have another professor from my old major i keep in contact with who was very sweet towards me while i was taking her classes even though i was a terrible student then, like she new something was up other than "doesnt care about class/school/subject material, and when i took her class after i took some time off and did well she told me in her office how proud she was of me
shes writing a letter of recommendation for my application now :)

but ive also had professors that i could just tell that they didnt like me and knew i didnt belong
well i did end up switching majors after getting my head on straight so i really didn't belong but drat you dont gotta be a dick about it

I'm glad you're following your dreams of science! Some brilliant people just don't click with school right away.

I've always been an excellent student, and I love learning, but it turns out that I kinda suck at real life. I should just go back to school forever, loans be damned.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

amarantinesky posted:

I make the worst posts don't worry I'll probably delete them when the light of day illuminates my shame.

In other news I am going to dye my hair a lovely color soon and I'm pretty excited. I'll even take a picture of my curls if the color works out well. :)

We won't judge you for being Bigfoot Gangbang. We accept all people.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Avshalom posted:

i'm kicking myself irl because i've ruined the last place on the internet where people don't think i'm a horrible unlikable gently caress-up

You really haven't. Chillax lady we're all sharing our mental and medical problems today.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Avshalom posted:

How are you kicking yourself. Like, pulling your leg up behind you to kick your butt? Or twisting it in front of you? Or doing some amazing high kicks?

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
fart butt

• Locked thread