Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I can only hope this happened at the law firm of morrison foster...

The mofo.com sysadmins would be in the catbird seat, whatever goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
We got a strange one last week. One of our offices that does a particularly large amount of paper work sent in a ticket claiming the copier was taking a long time to produce copies. To a man we all laughed and talked about how stupid they were. I have literally never heard of something like that in my 16 years of IT. Til low and behold we look at it and sure enough its taking a long dang time to copy. 4 minutes by our timing for 3 sheets. Friggin weird. Anyone ever seen a copier start to slow down copying as it gets old?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Syano posted:

We got a strange one last week. One of our offices that does a particularly large amount of paper work sent in a ticket claiming the copier was taking a long time to produce copies. To a man we all laughed and talked about how stupid they were. I have literally never heard of something like that in my 16 years of IT. Til low and behold we look at it and sure enough its taking a long dang time to copy. 4 minutes by our timing for 3 sheets. Friggin weird. Anyone ever seen a copier start to slow down copying as it gets old?

Check the DPI settings. Also yes things get slower as they get older.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
A new tool came in: our company is replacing HP Service Manager with ServiceNow for service management (tickets, release, assets, etc). Can't be worse than Service Mangler, could it ?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
A spam email came in, complete with a warning from the mail server about the attachment containing "W32/Trojan.MNWL-4927." Our first-tier guy then forwarded it individually to almost everyone in the company asking "is this attachment something you were expecting? I don't know what it is."

God drat it.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Install Windows posted:

I call bullshit because

Unless you really are upset because you were running a network between when the domain name concept was implemented in 1985 and .int specifically was created in 1988...

It was NIS. Not even DNS or AD. And I was a student intern at the time, I wasn't running anything.

The other one I was thinking of was a customer much later that used a .net domain name that they used to have, but let lapse. They had actually registered it, even though it was only for internal stuff. Beancounters basically said, "if it's only for internal stuff, we don't have to renew it.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

nitrogen posted:

It was NIS. Not even DNS or AD. And I was a student intern at the time, I wasn't running anything.

The other one I was thinking of was a customer much later that used a .net domain name that they used to have, but let lapse. They had actually registered it, even though it was only for internal stuff. Beancounters basically said, "if it's only for internal stuff, we don't have to renew it.

also using .local now causes issues with apple devices etc, so it's still good advice to use a valid domain tld nowadays.

Content!
EMAIL: A new meeting invite was sent out for the Daily Check-in, however, there are still individuals attempting to use the old one. The meeting invite individuals should delete has Join online meeting and the one to keep has Join Lync Meeting in the body of the email.

......:downs:

I'm not sure if they want me to click delete for all the users or something.

namol fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 31, 2014

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sonic Dude posted:

A spam email came in, complete with a warning from the mail server about the attachment containing "W32/Trojan.MNWL-4927." Our first-tier guy then forwarded it individually to almost everyone in the company asking "is this attachment something you were expecting? I don't know what it is."

God drat it.

Sounds like you need a new first-tier guy. Send out an email individually with the job opening saying "is this posting something you were expecting? I don't know what it is."

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

tomapot posted:

A new tool came in: our company is replacing HP Service Manager with ServiceNow for service management (tickets, release, assets, etc). Can't be worse than Service Mangler, could it ?

Hope you don't need any custom fields, workflow, or anything that doesn't come out-of-the-box!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sonic Dude posted:

God drat it.
How prudent of him to prevent a cascade of reply alls.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

nitrogen posted:

I am not an AD guy, but thats what i recommend. (using a subdomain of a domain you own) Here's why:

1) RFC 6762: .local is for MDNS. Don't use it for other things.
2) IANA is drunk with power and creating new TLD's all the time. A company i worked for used .int, which was later snatched up by IANA as a TLD. They were smart enough to grab it, at least.
3) There are bits of software that are stupid and will freak out if it sees a non-normal TLD. I had one that freaked the gently caress out at .wan
4) AFAIK, there's nothing like RFC1918 for "safe" TLD's to use for your own stuff, so don't make any up.

EDIT: Nope, it wasn't int company that was saved by forsight, it was someone else. Too tired to remember straight

The solution is simple. Let's just all agree right now on a standard that is guaranteed to never become a tld. <companyname>.dickbutt

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The solution is simple. Let's just all agree right now on a standard that is guaranteed to never become a tld. <companyname>.dickbutt
I'll give you 20 schmekuls to register a domain with .dickbutt

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nitrogen posted:

That's still really unfair to categorize .int as being "grabbed" by the relevant authorities. A lot of country codes hadn't yet been formally figured out by '88. Plus with the whole thing where initially they only wanted 2, 3, and 4 letter domains, .int was the only thing that made sense to signify "international/no nation".

I woulda used a company/organization name for internal stuff then, to be honest.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KoRMaK posted:

I'll give you 20 schmekuls to register a domain with .dickbutt

Sometimes domain naming is more of an art than a science. A lot of people don't know that, Morty.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
This was in my feed today:

So precious.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Just a reminder that tomorrow is April Fools Day, so if you haven't thought of anything to do to your users, these are pretty harmless.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

nexxai posted:

Just a reminder that tomorrow is April Fools Day, so if you haven't thought of anything to do to your users, these are pretty harmless.

This is brilliant. Going to put up two of these. I only wish I was located near the printers to listen to this.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

nexxai posted:

Google isn't finding one of these for a Pepsi machine, happen to have one?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nitrogen posted:

I am not an AD guy, but thats what i recommend. (using a subdomain of a domain you own) Here's why:

1) RFC 6762: .local is for MDNS. Don't use it for other things.
2) IANA is drunk with power and creating new TLD's all the time. A company i worked for used .int, which was later snatched up by IANA as a TLD. They were smart enough to grab it, at least.
3) There are bits of software that are stupid and will freak out if it sees a non-normal TLD. I had one that freaked the gently caress out at .wan
4) AFAIK, there's nothing like RFC1918 for "safe" TLD's to use for your own stuff, so don't make any up.

EDIT: Nope, it wasn't int company that was saved by forsight, it was someone else. Too tired to remember straight

Essentially this, use a real domain. Whether it's a subdomain of one you already use or one you register specifically for this purpose doesn't matter. Don't use company.com unless you want a world of hurt, if people need the logins to look pretty then UPN suffixes take care of this.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

CommanderApaul posted:

Google isn't finding one of these for a Pepsi machine, happen to have one?
I basically just did a search for "<printername> Voiceover". I had only ever seen the printer ones before, but it looks like just some dude made one for Coke machines too. If I wasn't so horrible at Photoshop I'd try to make one, but I am so I won't.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

nexxai posted:

:argh: None for Toshiba! (Quick GIS didn't bring up any. Safesearch here at work, dunno if that might skew the results.)

I did this a couple years ago, got a few people...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

:argh: None for Toshiba!

Or Samsung. I'm the last one out of the office today, it would be perfect...

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Kyrosiris posted:

Or Samsung. I'm the last one out of the office today, it would be perfect...

Opposite here, I'm coming in early since I have to leave at 2pm. I'm just going to put the Coke sign on the Pepsi machine, I don't think anyone is going to notice.

Debating on the printers. My office is an uptight bunch when it comes to technology issues.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If you can install GIMP you can very easily convert them to whatever brand you want. This isn't exactly high-level photoshoppery guys.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Regarding TLD and .local, keep in mind that TLDs are now a free for all (since 2008ish) given enough time and ICANN's application fees.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

deimos posted:

Regarding TLD and .local, keep in mind that TLDs are now a free for all (since 2008ish) given enough time and ICANN's application fees.
The internet is going to be really useful when humans start spreading through the galaxy and have data communication across light years that responds almost instantly (or like a week). New planet, new TLD.

It will also be useful if we run into another species with a data-network that wants to interface. Their TLD will be whatever genus-species they are.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 31, 2014

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

KoRMaK posted:

The internet is going to be really useful when humans start spreading through the galaxy and have data communication across light years that responds almost instantly (or like a week).

Um... exactly how do you envisage this working without violating general relativity?

Edit:
What this boils down to is that you can choose any two of the following three items:
- Relativity
- Causality
- FTL travel / exchange of information

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 31, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

rolleyes posted:

Um... exactly how do you envisage this working without violating general relativity?

Have you ever seen the factual documentary "What The Bleep Do We Know!?"

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

It will also be useful if we run into another species with a data-network that wants to interface. Their TLD will be whatever genus-species they are.

Of you know, .domains because you really need a TLD for uh a collection of domains I guess. (.ninja and .properties are coming too, that last one will be oodles of fun)

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

rolleyes posted:

:edit: Ah gently caress, nevermind. That doesn't work either. :eng99:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

rolleyes posted:

I find your assumption that we live in a causal universe offensive at the exact same time that I do not find your assumption that we live in a causal universe offensive. Help, I cannot collapse waveforms.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

KoRMaK posted:

The internet is going to be really useful when humans start spreading through the galaxy and have data communication across light years that responds almost instantly (or like a week). New planet, new TLD.

The future is literally Ender's Game.

Complete with the sexless Catholic pig people who are born from trees and kept alive by sentient viruses.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

rolleyes posted:

Edit:
What this boils down to is that you can choose any two of the following three items:
- Relativity
- Causality
- FTL travel / exchange of information

I have never really understood the problem with FTL information breaking causality. Yes, in some frame of reference, effect appears to happen before cause, because the information from the effect gets to you first, but really that's no different from if you were deaf and the fastest information could travel to you was speed-of-sound; that doesn't mean Mach I is the fastest anything can go.

EDIT: And that doesn't mean that if I hear an effect before a cause, that the effect happened first just because I perceived it to happen first.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 31, 2014

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

deimos posted:

This is the main reasoning I saw against using .local when I was researching in to it. If someone did go through the effort of registering .local top level domain I wonder what kind of interesting traffic they would see coming to contoso.local.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

An email came in! From my department head so that must mean it's important!

Subject: Google Chrome
Body Text:
Can you get this fixed... ?
... everywhere ...

In a mad panic I called a couple people. They were all able to launch Chrome without issue. I logged on to several different machines using different access level accounts and they could all load Chrome just fine. :psyduck:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Varkk posted:

This is the main reasoning I saw against using .local when I was researching in to it. If someone did go through the effort of registering .local top level domain I wonder what kind of interesting traffic they would see coming to contoso.local.

Can't be done, RFC 6762 reserved .local

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

:argh: None for Toshiba! (Quick GIS didn't bring up any. Safesearch here at work, dunno if that might skew the results.)

I did this a couple years ago, got a few people...
There's a Toshiba one here and a few more in this old reddit thread.

New-ShitPost
Jul 25, 2011

deimos posted:

Of you know, .domains because you really need a TLD for uh a collection of domains I guess. (.ninja and .properties are coming too, that last one will be oodles of fun)

http://loving.domains/

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

sfwarlock posted:

I have never really understood the problem with FTL information breaking causality. Yes, in some frame of reference, effect appears to happen before cause, because the information from the effect gets to you first, but really that's no different from if you were deaf and the fastest information could travel to you was speed-of-sound; that doesn't mean Mach I is the fastest anything can go.

Light speed and speed of sound are fundamentally different though. i.e. if you're on an airplane traveling mach 0.8 and shooting a bullet straight ahead at mach 0.8 (relative to the plane) the bullet will be traveling at mach 1.6 relative to the air. The same thing isn't true for light speed.

As for the causality problems, imagine a 1km long spaceship traveling in a straight line from here towards Alpha Centauri at 97% lightspeed. Because of the various effect from relativity (time dilation at 0.97c is about 1 to 4):
- An observer from the Earth will believe that the ship is moving, and see a ~250m long spaceship traveling the 4 light years in a bit more than 4 years. It starts in the year 2100 and arrives in 2104.
- An observer on the ship itself will believe the stars are moving and see the trip as traveling 1 light years distance in a bit more than 1 year. It starts in 2100 and arrives in 2101.

Both of these claims are equally true.

Now, if faster-than-lightspeed communication existed, the ship passengers could grab the 2104 Earth-Lottery numbers while passing Alpha Centauri at their 2101 ship clock and win the jackpot three ship-years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

peak debt posted:

and win the jackpot three ship-years later.

Only if the people on Earth are silly enough to allow the people on the ship to enter the 2104 lottery when the ship's calendar says 2104, which (assuming no more travel) is 2107-ish on Earth.

• Locked thread