Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Where's a good place to get cheap whitebox Supermicro servers? One of my engineers is building a Cassandra environment for a proof of concept and has a decent chunk of change to play with, but wants the most hardware he can get for the dollar without building his own stuff.

I found ServersDirect.com and their pricing seems really good. We're an HP shop for corporate stuff, but he doesn't want anything but basic whitebox servers.

Any recommendations? We're looking for just a bunch of 1U pizza boxes with a single 6 core and 32/64GB RAM. A few servers will have dual proc and 128GB RAM. He needs 38 servers and has 100K to play with (maybe a little more).

Bob Morales posted:

What about exit interviews? They're so amazingly pointless. It's not like the company is going to say "OH HEY MAYBE WE SHOULD MAKE ALL THESE CHANGES NOW THAT DOGSTILE TOLD US ABOUT THEM"

We don't even do exit interviews anymore. I found out HR recently switched to a post employment survey that they send to your personal email account after your last day.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What about exit interviews? They're so amazingly pointless. It's not like the company is going to say "OH HEY MAYBE WE SHOULD MAKE ALL THESE CHANGES NOW THAT DOGSTILE TOLD US ABOUT THEM"
You should only ever hint at what's going wrong if:
1) there exists a culture of trying to fix it
2) the person conducting the interview is not in your former chain of command

Your resignation letter should be nothing but logistical details, and terse to commending praise if you happened to like working there.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 31, 2014

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Never say anything in exit interviews. It's pointless, and it's documented that you badmouthed your ex-boss.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I don't mind doing an exit interview if there is something that needs to be said and was why I left. I mean you shouldn't bad mouth it but if there was something really wrong then why not at least bring it to light?

However, if it's and obvious "I'm leaving because X much more" then yeah why bother.

dogstile posted:

Luckily for me I don't have to offer to help find a replacement and i'm not in a senior position. Half the reason i'm leaving is because these assholes won't trust me to log into a database, right click and select "run".

I keep volunteering to do things out of hours and I keep getting turned down because i'm not experienced enough, which is bullshit. I'm just going to say that I need to advance my career and work closer to home, because right now its an hour's journey each way.

E: Oh gently caress this place, I just got an email, starting Wednesday my position goes from helpdesk to first line support. New rules are no leaving the desk without permission from a manager (this includes visits to the loo), no consulting with other first line guys if an issue is out of your knowledge (which is going to be great for when we get a call regarding their issue, as we can't pass calls to other first line guys) and i'm not allowed to spend time resolving issues if the first solution doesn't work.

gently caress. This. I'd walk out now if I didn't want the reference.

Ah well that sounds pretty bad then, hope new experiences await which are better.

Working a lower position or on "documentation" is something I do see fairly common, at least in my area.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 31, 2014

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I don't mind doing an exit interview if there is something that needs to be said and was why I left. I mean you shouldn't bad mouth it but if there was something really wrong then why not at least bring it to light?

Because like people have said over and over again, with rare exceptions, there is literally no advantage to you saying anything.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Syano posted:

Because like people have said over and over again, with rare exceptions, there is literally no advantage to you saying anything.

Some people will never understand this.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

But I'm a special flower dammit and if they only take my totally awesome advice everything will be so much better.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Syano posted:

Yeah I know that's most likely true, because all companies are awesome, policies are flawless, and senior staff is never the problem! But at least if you do it you know you tried. :shrug:

skipdogg posted:

But I'm a special flower dammit and if they only take my totally awesome advice everything will be so much better.

I think that's going a bit far.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 31, 2014

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah I know that's most likely true, because all companies are awesome, policies are flawless, and senior staff is never the problem! But at least if you do it you know you tried. :shrug:

Nothing is perfect but no one with 2 feet out the door has anything to gain by pointing that out, which is the point of this whole discussion: You quietly move along to greener pastures and you let them marinade in their own poo poo and misery.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jesus Christ, Germany

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

'Gotta have a picture with every article' is going to extremes I see.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

three posted:

Some people will never understand this.

Well, luckily I do. I'm applying to every job within distance right now, i'll take anything of equivalent wage that's roughly the same distance. This place is toxic.

E: Before I was just applying for things that were straight upgrades. I'm cool moving sideways so long as I get to a better work environment.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's actually awesome?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
"Germany's labor ministry has banned managers from calling or emailing staff out of hours except in emergencies."

Ha! I'd like to see how long that lasts.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Seems perfectly fine? It's not a law, just the labor ministry itself making this pledge. For people who are paid to be on call, or for emergencies (that are hopefully real emergencies) nothing will change, but it should re-assure workers about putting down their phone once in a while.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you have to do an exit interview, stick to saying nice things. Think of all the things that made your life easier, people who helped you and things that you hope they'll keep doing in the future.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I get that it's perfectly fine, it's just amazing to me that a country would actually step up and say "Hey... they're people. Leave them alone."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not the country as in part of the law, it's one government department (following other large employers). The article is badly written.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skipdogg posted:

Where's a good place to get cheap whitebox Supermicro servers? One of my engineers is building a Cassandra environment for a proof of concept and has a decent chunk of change to play with, but wants the most hardware he can get for the dollar without building his own stuff.

I found ServersDirect.com and their pricing seems really good. We're an HP shop for corporate stuff, but he doesn't want anything but basic whitebox servers.

Check your PMs, I might be able to help out.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I get that it's perfectly fine, it's just amazing to me that a country would actually step up and say "Hey... they're people. Leave them alone."

I like the principle that if you can't get your job done within normal work hours then you're bad at it or your manager is incompetent at managing resources.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

And your username fits this perfectly.... lol.
Short-form text isn't good for nuanced discussion. I'll elaborate below.

HalloKitty posted:

It's funny, my girlfriend has the exact same experience.

She works as a technical author, writing documentation for machines and determining the relevant safety standards it has to conform to and so on (she writes in English exclusively even though she's Danish, in Denmark, gets someone else to translate her English to Danish; which as a stupid Englishman, makes me feel humbled). Previously mainly doing drawing in AutoCAD and Inventor for machines.

Yeah. Not a very female-heavy job, I guess it's too on the technical side? That sounds stupid though, they are no doubt just as capable at technical jobs, so I don't really understand why the ratios are still so shot. It's not like it's a physically demanding role, so it's not that. She went on a training course recently (and drank extremely expensive booze on the company dime), and as expected, there are barely any women (and of course no others under 30).

Same whenever I've been to any kind of training. Sausage fest.
Sexism and racism are institutionalized throughout the entire system, from computer science education and technical training all the way up through the workforce. There are certain islands within the field where this isn't the case so much -- as psydude has pointed out, government work and government contractors tend to have a much higher percentage of women and minorities than the industry as a whole -- but these biases are generally rampant. People within the profession, as extremely technical minds, tend to consider themselves extremely rational, reasonable, and logic-driven, and therefore less prone to succumb to emotion. Unfortunately, this isn't the case at all, and this mentality actually makes people blinder and more callous to the consequences of the system we've created. Someone who spends all day constructing complex ontologies and patterns tends to apply that mindset to other problems as well.

If you don't believe that these biases exist, just read any discussion of race or gender dynamics on Hacker News or Reddit. Half the stuff in the poo poo HN Says threads in YOSPOS are about these types of people. Men's Rights Advocates and others who use misunderstood, misguided :biotruths: eugenics and evolutionary biology arguments are all over the place, and a surprising number of upper-middle-class white guys have no problem sharing their opinions on why African-Americans or women are just biologically wired not to be interested in tech. Never mind that organizations like Per Scholas or Black Girls Code are seeing tremendous enrollment over the last couple of years.

I don't mean to place the blame solely on the shoulders of industry, of course. Race and gender dynamics are extremely complicated, and even more complicated in the United States where it's very easy to conflate race and poverty. But people do need to recognize the problems where they arise, and try to take steps to address the inequality.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

three posted:

I like the principle that if you can't get your job done within normal work hours then you're bad at it or your manager is incompetent at managing resources.
Identifying the problem as managerial incompetence doesn't do anything for the person who's actually being expected to respond to calls and emails at all hours of the day, of course.

I think that this is a good policy for people to take, as long as the government doesn't go too far in codifying it. Ricardo Semler, the guy who wrote Maverick! about Semco's unorthodox approach to management, wrote an entire book called The Seven-Day Weekend about flexible working conditions and how competent management can (and must) make it easy for their employees to get "me time" during the week if the company expects them to answer emails on the weekend. I've found that approach works really, really well for me (my wife is a night nurse with an unpredictable schedule) and I'd hate to see the benefits legislated away for others because a committee of Parliamentarians are set on throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Germany tends to take pretty progressive stances on labor laws, and they're seeing their own pretty healthy startup scene, so I imagine they'll take a moderated approach and a soft hand.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Misogynist posted:

wrote an entire book called The Seven-Day Weekend about flexible working conditions and how competent management can (and must) make it easy for their employees to get "me time" during the week if the company expects them to answer emails on the weekend.

I work at a place that is very flexible, kind of like this. It's a happy medium that works well for us. I have a Dr. Appt Wed afternoon. I'm going to leave around 2 and then work from home the rest of the day. Some weeks I work 50 hours, others I'll work 30. When they need me, I step up,, when things are quiet, I can take off a little early, or 'work from home' for a day.

In exchange for my company having flexibility for my schedule, I have flexibility for them. If I have to do something late night, or on a Saturday, no big deal. The company is flexible for me, and I am more than happy to be flexible for them.

I don't know that I could work some place where I had to be in a cubicle at 8:01AM no matter what. I wouldn't be very flexible with them I could tell you that. I'm in a great situation now and it really is nice. We're all treated like adults, we get our work done with good results and everyone is pretty drat happy.

edit: I have 2 young kids (4 and 2) and because of my workplace's flexibility I have never missed a milestone checkup, if they're sick the first words out of my bosses mouth are 'take care of the family first'. I feel very fortunate to work somewhere that this is the case.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 31, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Wow so my previous companies out of the blue let one of their highest VMware engineers go because he said he was moving in a few months, and wanted to give them a few months notice because how high up he is. This comes after they let a good engineer go because he couldn't update a senior staff member every 5 (not joking he had a message log)minutes on how quick he'd be done or if he was finished yet.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Just had a second interview for a position and I bombed it for 25 minutes. Interviewer took it in a bit of the wrong direction so when it came to "do you have any questions for me" i was frankly confused as to what the position was. In 30 seconds and two questions she told me the position is exactly what i'm looking for (project coordination, identifying bottlenecks and clearing them for more efficient engineering team operation). I then had about 4:30 to tell her why she should hire someone she had just spent 25 minutes talking to about things that have nothing to do with that.

gently caress it. 14 weeks unemployed is enough. I'm fighting for this. I'm going to write it all out in email, and send it to their senior recruiter then ask him to forward to the interviewer. It's hail mary time.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Docjowles posted:

The ISP is definitely debatable. Maybe I'm being too pedantic, but I'd only call a company's core business "IT" if the stuff I as an IT worker do day-to-day (system administration, network administration, provisioning storage, writing code etc) is what the customer pays us for. So to me there are very few companies in the "IT industry", basically MSP's, vendors, web hosts, software development shops where the app itself is the product people are coming to buy. I don't think that just because a company makes its money as a website means it's an IT company. The CEO of Pandora probably doesn't go around telling investors they're in the IT industry.

Exactly this. Most people who say that they are in IT are generally speaking fulfilling an IT function at a company that is not in the IT industry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got a call to interview for a job I applied for last week

Two quick questions about resumes/old jobs.

1. A company I worked for was acquired after I worked there about 2 years. I worked for the new company for another 2 years or so. It looks like I job-hopped so I have to explain what happened - would I be better off just saying I worked for the new company for 4 years? I'm not sure if that's 'right', and the other thing about it is that the job was quite different, since I became part of a bigger IT department and wasn't the entire department anymore.

2. The company also changed names recently. So do I put down the name of the company when I worked there, or what it is now? I'm leaning towards just leaving it for the sole fact that I worked with two people who are now working at that company.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Bob Morales posted:

1. A company I worked for was acquired after I worked there about 2 years. I worked for the new company for another 2 years or so. It looks like I job-hopped so I have to explain what happened - would I be better off just saying I worked for the new company for 4 years? I'm not sure if that's 'right', and the other thing about it is that the job was quite different, since I became part of a bigger IT department and wasn't the entire department anymore.

2. The company also changed names recently. So do I put down the name of the company when I worked there, or what it is now? I'm leaning towards just leaving it for the sole fact that I worked with two people who are now working at that company.

Put the current name of the company as one job as long as you held the same position. The new company will have all of the old HR records, which is really all that anyone will need. I was in a very similar situation: two positions within the same company and then it was acquired by another company after I left.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Two years is not an unreasonable amount of time before finding a new job in IT.

New Company (formerly Old Company) is how I'd approach #2 if you have space for it in your resume layout.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I'm hoping that the Application Systems Administrator job I applied for is not too terribly different from my current System Administrator job - the posting was at the local university and pays a bit more than I currently make (and in 2 weeks I'll be making a hell of a lot less, so it's got that going for it). I figure I might as well go ahead and violate Commandment 2 of the IT Industry, since I've already violated #1 - Thou Shalt Not Apply for an IT job in Health Care.

I'm hoping to have my final resume version back from the ResumesToInterviews guy by the end of the week, but in the meantime my current version seems to be pretty good with some minor tweaking and cleanup. Time to start shotgunning applications so I can start interviewing in a couple weeks.

In other news, my doctor told me at my physical yesterday that I now have high blood pressure and my triglycerides are too high, so now I'm on a water pill for the blood pressure and some other drug for the triglycerides. I told him that I thought my BP of 150/102 was rather low, all things considered.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I'd be curious what it was back when you were nearly suicidal at that healthcare IT hell hole. Most assuredly higher...

owDAWG
May 18, 2008
Healthcare IT in my area seems to pay the most. A lot of people from my old job including me have jumped ship for a job in the healthcare related industry and have gotten considerable bumps in pay to go along with it. The downside has been dealing with systems where there is no standardization and poorly written software.

I am more of a Sr System Administrator, but I have heard it is much worse for the helpdesk, desktop support side.

owDAWG fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 2, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

owDAWG posted:

Healthcare IT in my area seems to pay the most. A lot of people from my old job including me have jumped ship for a job in the healthcare related industry and have gotten considerable bumps in pay to go along with it. The downside has been dealing with systems where there is no standardization and poorly written software.

I am more of a Sr System Administrator, but I have heard it is much worse for the helpdesk, desktop support side.

The increased pay may have more to do with getting a new job, period, rather than that new job being in the healthcare industry per se.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Alfajor posted:

I'll be there Wed and Thurs! I'm intending to go to their official party on Wed night at LIGHT Nightclub :c00l:, wanna meet up?

I'm expo pass only so I'm not in the cool kids club for the party. I'm in Vegas though so if anyone has any suggestions for stuff I shouldn't miss while I'm in town, I'd love to hear it.

I'm gonna go see Carrot Top!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

owDAWG posted:

Oh, I definitely made the jump into Health Care IT for the money, but frankly that 43% raise to go work on the helldesk was not enough, and I was so happy and relaxed in my current position - it's probably been one of the best years of my working career. Alas, all good things come to an end, and on April 14 we're going to be given the option of taking the lower pay or collecting unemployment. Depending on the pay rate I may take the new scale while I energetically look for work and study for my VCP5 exam (May 5th looms large in my mind - still got a ton of studying and labbing to do). I applied for a Systems Admin job for a bank and put down a 40% pay increase over what I currently earn as my expected salary. I'm hoping they look at it and consider it a reasonable offer. Only time will tell.

And on top of all this my drat truck decides that this week is the perfect time to break down. Sigh. Finances are going to be extremely tight until I land a new job.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

owDAWG posted:

This is the key to Healthcare IT. Be far enough removed from the doctors/nurses/users that you never have to deal with them. I'm a SR Sys Admin too at a very large Healthcare company and I can't remember the last time I had to talk to a user.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
What's the standard for download/upload speed for a office with 10 people? We currently have 30Mb x 3Mb, but can upgrade to 60mb x 4mb for extra. We don't do VOIP, or anything crazy like that. Mainly outlook and facebook... Email is hosted off site.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

scanlonman posted:

What's the standard for download/upload speed for a office with 10 people? We currently have 30Mb x 3Mb, but can upgrade to 60mb x 4mb for extra. We don't do VOIP, or anything crazy like that. Mainly outlook and facebook... Email is hosted off site.

You're graphing/logging your bandwidth usage, right? That should tell you if you need more or not.

I really doubt you're going to notice an increase in performance by upgrading from 30x3 to 60x4.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bob Morales posted:

1. A company I worked for was acquired after I worked there about 2 years. I worked for the new company for another 2 years or so. It looks like I job-hopped so I have to explain what happened - would I be better off just saying I worked for the new company for 4 years? I'm not sure if that's 'right', and the other thing about it is that the job was quite different, since I became part of a bigger IT department

I can't speak for everyone but I've never had a single IT job last over 2 years. I go where the money goes and not single employer has even remotely questioned my employment history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I did 6 years, 4 years, 2 years, 8 months (still there)

• Locked thread