Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DStecks posted:

At that point, wouldn't it make more sense to simply make an iPhone case that you can strap to your wrist?

There's already numerous versions of that out on the market, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
If they kickstarted a new one, it'd make the big bucks.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is that WSJ article about the Oculus Kickstarter user-submitted or something? There's like a dozen typos in it and it's driving me nuts.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

The Pebble smart watch wasn't cool. You know what's cool? The same exact thing only 6x the size and straight out of Star Trek/Fallout! Check out this hilarious "wrist communicator"

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-rufus-cuff-more-than-a-smartwatch-a-wrist-communicator

At least I can respect them for using fixed funding.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Frozen-Solid posted:

The Pebble smart watch wasn't cool. You know what's cool? The same exact thing only 6x the size and straight out of Star Trek/Fallout! Check out this hilarious "wrist communicator"

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-rufus-cuff-more-than-a-smartwatch-a-wrist-communicator

It's like Google Glass, but even sillier. Why would you need an accelerometer or gyroscope on your wrist anyway?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OldMemes posted:

It's like Google Glass, but even sillier. Why would you need an accelerometer or gyroscope on your wrist anyway?

jerkin' it leaderboards

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OldMemes posted:

Both of those things are built into the cheapest cell phone chipsets, which is what that thing uses.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Fauxtool posted:

jerkin' it leaderboards

You laugh but I could totally see this being an actual thing. If 4chan and Reddit have taught me anything, it's that dudes certainly like to brag about masturbation a whole lot.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I don't know what the hell this is but it sure is something...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/965424352/whipped-re-inventing-foreplay (mildly :nws: )

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Man I can't believe someone is ripping off Blizzard, a company known for its completely original works.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Fauxtool posted:

jerkin' it leaderboards

best cheevo

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I could have sworn the cat thing was over, but I guess I was wrong.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Noyemi K posted:

Someone paid 750 bucks to have their cat be drawn on the cover :ughh:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

Am I missing something because this looks awesome and not awful

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Noyemi K posted:

Thanks for posting an awesome kickstarter that ended months ago.

Also cats are never over. Cats are amazing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

If nothing else pans out, at least Goat Simulator has an awesome launch trailer that takes the piss out of that "emotional" Dead Island trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvWGLcdI8o8

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I just read about a failed Christian Kickstarter making a game and now they're convinced Satan is fighting the release of their Abraham RPG. I figured if there was anywhere I could find a blow by blow about this it would be here, has it already come up? Links?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TheSpiritFox posted:

I just read about a failed Christian Kickstarter making a game and now they're convinced Satan is fighting the release of their Abraham RPG. I figured if there was anywhere I could find a blow by blow about this it would be here, has it already come up? Links?

Call of Abraham? Nothing much, lovely game that raised about 20% before it was cancelled. No big flameout until now, I guess.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

steinrokkan posted:

Neil Young's Pono has already collected five million with 20 days to go - will it surpass OUYA (8.6 million) as the most expensive proof that crowdfunding sucks?

I'm a huge loving nerd and I actually put some research into it.

The Toblerone shape isn't half bad an idea, and the FLAC files do provide much better audio quality.

So thus far it's almost exactly like the dozens of other Shenzhen-made portable FLAC players.

Except it's actually cheaper than most available decent-quality players, because apparently being a huge enough audio nerd to want lossless music on the go means you're also willing to pay $300 - $700 for something your phone can already do if you're fine with having just five hours of music in your pocket. This is unfortunately not surprising, because audiophiles* are notorious for this poo poo. At least it isn't Denon AKDL1.

So it's still very expensive, but for the people who want that poo poo, it's also cheaper than the competitors.

* "Audiophile" means someone who can't get off unless he knows his audio setup cost more than the neighbor's car.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hey guys remember those muscle pads that you strap around your fat, slovenly gut, that do your workout for you?

Remember how you could instantly tell they were bullshit?

Well gently caress you we made em smaller and now you can strap em to your chest too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVCS58XX39Y

It's raised $76,000.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smartmio-the-world-s-first-connected-wearable-sports-muscle-stimulator

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

can i attach this to my dick?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

if you find something on god's green earth that you can't attach to your dick, you're not trying

Larz
Jul 29, 2011
What, you don't trust Dr. Vladimir and his son Alex? In America, you use exercise equipment. In Soviet Russia exercise equipment uses you!

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Larz posted:

What, you don't trust Dr. Vladimir and his son Alex? In America, you use exercise equipment. In Soviet Russia exercise equipment uses you!

The one non-russian:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

you can

the question is do you really want to?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Meatwave posted:

The one non-russian:

I loved his humor site back in the late 90's with the Superfriends comics and poo poo.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Greyhawk posted:

the question is do you really want to?

yes definitely

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I'm gonna be a total stick in the mud and say that my first thought on the use of this was to help the disabled or those with limited mobility maintain muscle tone. But I kinda doubt it would work well enough for those purposes.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

endlessmonotony posted:

* "Audiophile" means someone who can't get off unless he knows his audio setup cost more than the neighbor's car.

Pretty much this. It's the search for the biggest number, nothing more.

The biggest irony is that in many cases, 96/192KHz content actually sounds significantly worse than 48/44.1KHz content, because they can carry ultrasonic content. Not only can you not hear ultrasonics natively, but the vast majority of headphones/earbuds will distort when they try to reproduce it, which means you get intermodulation. Congratulations -- by giving too much of a poo poo about stuff you can't hear, you've added resonance noise to the stuff you can hear! And it gets even worse if you run it through an amp!

Using high sample resolutions for mastered music is silly as well, but at least it doesn't sound worse than 16 bits. It simply wastes space. (There are reasons to use > 16bits when doing mixing/mastering, as it makes it easier to safely level and combine tracks without clipping. However, a lot of modern mixing hardware just circumvent the problem entirely by using floating point samples.)

Of course, audiophiles would probably consider intermodulation products to be "added richness" or "room presence" or whatever the current synonym for being suckered is.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm not sure if this is going to be good or going to be horribly bad, but Richard Elfman is getting his family together and producing :nws:Forbidden Zone 2:nws:. They're holding an IndieGoGo campaign to help fund the pre-production of the film.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

I'm not sure if this is going to be good or going to be horribly bad, but Richard Elfman is getting his family together and producing :nws:Forbidden Zone 2:nws:. They're holding an IndieGoGo campaign to help fund the pre-production of the film.

The original Forbidden Zone owns but that was almost 35 years ago and the video on their page isn't inspiring any confidence.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ullerrm posted:

Pretty much this. It's the search for the biggest number, nothing more.

The biggest irony is that in many cases, 96/192KHz content actually sounds significantly worse than 48/44.1KHz content, because they can carry ultrasonic content. Not only can you not hear ultrasonics natively, but the vast majority of headphones/earbuds will distort when they try to reproduce it, which means you get intermodulation. Congratulations -- by giving too much of a poo poo about stuff you can't hear, you've added resonance noise to the stuff you can hear! And it gets even worse if you run it through an amp!

Using high sample resolutions for mastered music is silly as well, but at least it doesn't sound worse than 16 bits. It simply wastes space. (There are reasons to use > 16bits when doing mixing/mastering, as it makes it easier to safely level and combine tracks without clipping. However, a lot of modern mixing hardware just circumvent the problem entirely by using floating point samples.)

Of course, audiophiles would probably consider intermodulation products to be "added richness" or "room presence" or whatever the current synonym for being suckered is.

44K sounds like a worn vinyl track being played through a radio station in a tunnel, what on earth are you talking about?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Young Freud posted:

That is like the one thing Richard Elfman ever did with his life and he's been harping it + riding the coattails of his brother's musical genius ever since.

Though if he gets the Kipper Kids to come out of retirement for one big show, I'm all for it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pathetic little tramp posted:

That is like the one thing Richard Elfman ever did with his life and he's been harping it + riding the coattails of his brother's musical genius ever since.

Though if he gets the Kipper Kids to come out of retirement for one big show, I'm all for it.

if it means more Oingo Boingo/Satan Danny Elfman and less "needly needly bum bum lalalalala" Tim Burton soundtrack autopilot Danny Elfman then I can't hate it too much

Omghaiwtfaslplzkthx.

Pomp posted:

44K sounds like a worn vinyl track being played through a radio station in a tunnel, what on earth are you talking about?

Speaking as someone who recently just got into pure audio blu rays (bohemian rhapsody in 5.1 is loving boss) - I'm going to read this again and hope it will make sense to me a second time (I wasn't putting a lot of effort in though).

but Xiph aren't exactly known by me for talking poop.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Otisburg posted:

I loved his humor site back in the late 90's with the Superfriends comics and poo poo.

also fatchicksinpartyhats.com

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
44 kHz is more than sufficient to reproduce any sound someone who hasn't been exposed to gamma rays and mutated a bat's auditory system can hear. The goofiest thing is that there's just about a 0% chance that an old timer like Neil Young can hear much about 12 kHz anyway--high frequency hearing drops off rapidly with age, and 20 kHz (what little we could ever hear of it) is gone to most of us by adulthood.

Tetraptous has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Apr 1, 2014

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Tetraptous posted:

44 kHz is more than sufficient to reproduce any sound someone who hasn't been exposed to gamma rays and mutated a bat's auditory system can hear. The goofiest thing is that there's just about a 0% chance that an old timer like Neil Young can hear much about 12 kHz anyway--high frequency hearing drops off rapidly with age, and 20 kHz (what little we could ever hear of it) is gone to most of us by adulthood.

I agree with the overall point you're making here, but your reasoning is wrong. You're comparing two different things here. 44 kHz sampling can only reproduce sound frequencies up to 22 kHz because you need to capture both the peak and the valley of the wave in order to represent it digitally. So in order to reproduce your example of a 20 kHz tone you would need a minimum sampling rate of 40 kHz.

Digital audio sampling rate is not the same thing as the frequency of a tone despite both being measured in Hertz.

Also, the reason a lot of mastering gets done at 24-bit/96kHz is the same reason people like to have more pixels to work with when editing in Photoshop. When you start running filters on things you will get a nicer result if you have more data to work with.

I don't think the Pono is a fantastic idea or anything, but I think some people might be taking their anti-audiophile stuff a bit too far.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Apr 1, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tetraptous posted:

I was somehow reading KHz as kbps, ignore me I have no loving knowledge about frequencies, but this still makes more sense than someone saying there's no point in storing your music at a bitrate higher than 44kpbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

ErIog posted:

I agree with the overall point you're making here, but your reasoning is wrong. You're comparing two different things here. 44 kHz sampling can only reproduce sound frequencies up to 22 kHz because you need to capture both the peak and the valley of the wave in order to represent it digitally. So in order to reproduce your example of a 20 kHz tone you would need a minimum sampling rate of 40 kHz.

Yes, I'm aware of Nyquist--but 192 kHz is still way way above that!