Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Foster, Shady, Forte and Rice all signed their extensions around the same time IIRC, and they all got between $7m and $9m APY. They picked the right times to sign!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

Also a reminder: for that buying stock in Foster thing to pay out for investors, he would have had to play out his current contract then sign an even bigger one and play that one out as well

The whole thing fell through and never happened

You can buy some Vernon Davis now if you want! https://fantex.com/explore

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Intruder posted:

Also a reminder: for that buying stock in Foster thing to pay out for investors, he would have had to play out his current contract then sign an even bigger one and play that one out as well

The whole thing fell through and never happened

You mean I can't invest in EJ Manuel?

gently caress.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's going to take at least 3-4 years for running backs to get back to that salary, if they ever do. Baltimore and Houston have to really regret those contracts.

Edit: I want to buy DeSean Jackson stock now. Buy low sell high!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rice's is the worst because cutting him is a net cap negative until the last year of his deal. After this season, cutting Foster will get the Texans $4m in cap savings with $5m in dead money.

The Eagles killed it though, they can cut Shady after 2014, 2015 or 2016 and get ~$7.5m in savings in any of those years if he falls off a cliff like Rice/Foster have

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happy Jared Allen :3:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Intruder posted:

Rice's is the worst because cutting him is a net cap negative until the last year of his deal. After this season, cutting Foster will get the Texans $4m in cap savings with $5m in dead money.

The Eagles killed it though, they can cut Shady after 2014, 2015 or 2016 and get ~$7.5m in savings in any of those years if he falls off a cliff like Rice/Foster have

Shady is so drat elusive he doesn't take big hits so I think he'll last awhile.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Shady is so drat elusive he doesn't take big hits so I think he'll last awhile.

That may very well be true but they still have the option if they need it

Or hell, if they decide that having such a huge cap figure on a RB isn't worth it. After 2014, they're basically not tied down by his contract at all

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Good running backs make about the same down the board as LT's ya'll. It's pretty ridiculous to act like teams could give a gently caress less which player is responsible for 300+ plays a season on offense.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I'm seriously loving distressed at that Rice contract. A rare bonehead move by the ravens FO.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guys don't worry, the Jets can't pay DeSean Jackson but they have a plan! They have a plan!!

Rotoworld posted:

Free agent Jacoby Ford visited the Jets on Monday.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Volkerball posted:

Good running backs make about the same down the board as LT's ya'll. It's pretty ridiculous to act like teams could give a gently caress less which player is responsible for 300+ plays a season on offense.

The production is much easy to replicate with an above average Rb vs elite Rb

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Jacoby Ford is pretty fun to watch when he can actually catch footballs.

Shades of that Chiefs game a few years ago come to mind.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Oh joy. I was reading an article on NFL.com about why running backs are getting paid like poo poo compared to just a few years ago, and I just had to read the comments:

quote:

In comparison, RBs get shorted, but...y'know, I dunno about the rest of you, but I would happily take a 90k salary to play professional football, regardless of the position.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000337644/article/running-backs-getting-paid-like-kickers-and-punters?icampaign=ATL_newsdriver

:suicide:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Yeah 90k for potential mental and physical disability 20 years later sounds like an awesome idea

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AAA DOLFAN posted:

The production is much easy to replicate with an above average Rb vs elite Rb

There's quite a few teams who are hosed when it comes to running the ball, so I disagree.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Captain Tolerable posted:

Yeah 90k for potential mental and physical disability 20 years later sounds like an awesome idea

Running backs just don't have the love of the game anymore you know?

I bet if you put in a 30 year old guy who was a rotational fullback in high school out there he'd give it 110% and you know what? You just might be surprised. That's the power of love. Of the game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John Brown posted:

Oh joy. I was reading an article on NFL.com about why running backs are getting paid like poo poo compared to just a few years ago, and I just had to read the comments:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000337644/article/running-backs-getting-paid-like-kickers-and-punters?icampaign=ATL_newsdriver

:suicide:
I said it in the N/V but my brother barks this poo poo at me every year and I just have to turn my brain off

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Someone did bring up a semi-interesting point in suggesting that RBs work with the NFLPA to structure contracts so that they may make more money earlier in their careers than some of the other positions. Should this even be given a thought?

For instance, what if their contracts had really great incentives for performance of the first 3-4 years of their rookie contracts? They'd have a legitimate argument in that their careers tend to end earlier than others. Also, with it being performance-based that would pretty much be a win-win situation, right?

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

John Brown posted:

Someone did bring up a semi-interesting point in suggesting that RBs work with the NFLPA to structure contracts so that they may make more money earlier in their careers than some of the other positions. Should this even be given a thought?

For instance, what if their contracts had really great incentives for performance of the first 3-4 years of their rookie contracts? They'd have a legitimate argument in that their careers tend to end earlier than others. Also, with it being performance-based that would pretty much be a win-win situation, right?

NFL rookie contracts are already dirt cheap, why would owners do anything to gently caress with that?

E: The worst part of NFL running backs being so devalued is that it gives Pete Prisco a reason to be even smugger than usual.

superaielman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 31, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jacoby Ford is pretty fun to watch when he can actually catch footballs.

Shades of that Chiefs game a few years ago come to mind.

Yeah unfortunately for him that game includes most of his NFL highlights.

The weird thing is I don't even remember him being all that good in that game until about the fourth quarter, then he turned into Tim Brown out of nowhere.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

SlipUp posted:

I'm seriously loving distressed at that Rice contract. A rare bonehead move by the ravens FO.

It sucks but it's not the end of the world. If Rice gets cut or anything it'll put some dead money on the team but nothing like Redskins/Raiders cap hell of the past few years.

I still think he has a good year or two left in him. Ozzie's probably grabbing a RB in the 3rd or something anyways since he wants a power-back. Regardless of what Ray has left in the tank he's probably going to be suspended 4-6 weeks even if he's acquitted.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd guess they wait until late on a RB, spend one of the comps on it. Bernard Pierce looked impressive as a rookie and can't be blamed overmuch for last year due to injury/Gradkowski. It would be neat to see Terrance West land in Baltimore. I love it when players end up with the teams they loved as a kid.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Not just that, but you have to dedicate your life to diet and the gym and training. 99.9% of people don't have the will power to do what NFL guys do every year.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd guess they wait until late on a RB, spend one of the comps on it. Bernard Pierce looked impressive as a rookie and can't be blamed overmuch for last year due to injury/Gradkowski. It would be neat to see Terrance West land in Baltimore. I love it when players end up with the teams they loved as a kid.

The FO is high as gently caress on West, if he's still around when they start burning the comp picks I could see him being taken. But yea I'd love him to be in Baltimore. It'd be kinda like Torrey Smith who was a Maryland native, went on to be a Terp, then a Raven.

I would really love to see Pierce play some more. I honestly think he's a much better downhill-runner than Rice, but he's made of paper and has a 100% chance of getting injured in a game where he has to make 15+ carries.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ehud posted:

Not just that, but you have to dedicate your life to diet and the gym and training. 99.9% of people don't have the will power to do what NFL guys do every year.

Unfortunately most people seem to think they could just jog out onto the field in whatever shape they're in and play

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

Unfortunately most people seem to think they could just jog out onto the field in whatever shape they're in and play
Yeah, they're called "talk radio listeners"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Look how fat those offensive linemen are and they can play!

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Washington agrees to terms with Ryan Clark, per Albert Breer. If he's anything better than a burning pile of garbage then it'll be worth it.

Is he anything better than a burning pile of garbage?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Skillface posted:

All I know about him is that he'll die if he plays at altitude.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Alouicious posted:

A team philosophy RG3 has experience in.

That was an awesome game, even if my team was on the losing end of it.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Skillface posted:

Washington agrees to terms with Ryan Clark, per Albert Breer. If he's anything better than a burning pile of garbage then it'll be worth it.

Not anymore, sadly. He fell of a cliff real hard last year

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
all this scoffing at people who say they'd play in the league for $90k is silly because anyone itt given a call from an nfl team would go play in a heartbeat

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rams get Kenny Britt. 1 yr $1.4 mil, max value of $2.9 mil, $550k guaranteed

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

fat greasy puto posted:

all this scoffing at people who say they'd play in the league for $90k is silly because anyone itt given a call from an nfl team would go play in a heartbeat
No one in TFF is in playing shape though. I'm morbidly obese in real life.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Chris Gaines posted:

No one in TFF is in playing shape though. I'm morbidly obese in real life.

ya same, but lets say your favorite team called you up and said "hey chris gaines we have a roster spot for you, just come down to the facility tomorrow we'll get you a uniform and start you in training but we can only pay you $90k a year" what would you say

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

this poster would say "hell motherfuckin yes mark davis ill catch the next plane to oakland"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You'd say yes and then you'd die in minutes

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

fat greasy puto posted:

I don't want to die sorry.

Edit: gently caress...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I would legit beat out Schaub for starting QB

• Locked thread