Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butthead
May 31, 2011

fat greasy puto posted:

all this scoffing at people who say they'd play in the league for $90k is silly because anyone itt given a call from an nfl team would go play in a heartbeat

Well yeah because it's good money and there is no way in hell they would actually put me in a real game. Not even pre-season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

fat greasy puto posted:

ya same, but lets say your favorite team called you up and said "hey chris gaines we have a roster spot for you, just come down to the facility tomorrow we'll get you a uniform and start you in training but we can only pay you $90k a year" what would you say

If you asked me 5-10 years ago I would probably say yes, but knowing what I know now the answer is oh hell no

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Sweeney Tom posted:

Rams get Kenny Britt. 1 yr $1.4 mil, max value of $2.9 mil, $550k guaranteed

Pretty good signing by the Rams. If he works out, great. If he doesn't, that's not much of a loss. Hope this doesn't stop them from drafting a WR, though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah sorry I'd like to actually use that money on something other than hospital bills

and then be able to remember what money is and can be used for

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

PrinceRandom posted:

I don't want to die sorry.

Edit: gently caress...

we're all gonna die, do you want to be remembered as the guy who played in the nfl or the guy who sat on the worlds most troll free forums and then was killed in the gender wars

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

fat greasy puto posted:

we're all gonna die, do you want to be remembered as the guy who played in the nfl or the guy who sat on the worlds most troll free forums and then was killed in the gender wars

If it's no touch practice sure I'll ride a bench. Don't let J.J Watts touch me though. Please.

Edit: I could bro out with the Great Black Otaku though. Hmmm.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I would go play.

It would look like that Peyton gif where the ball is snapped to his hands, he looks right, then curls up in a ball on the ground immediately.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I'd sign and then on the first play of scrimmage pull a Forrest Gump and run right through the endzone and off the field and then be like PEACE

Butthead
May 31, 2011

fat greasy puto posted:

Doesn't really matter because all those people doing the remembering are going to die also.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Zypher posted:

Pretty good signing by the Rams. If he works out, great. If he doesn't, that's not much of a loss. Hope this doesn't stop them from drafting a WR, though.

Is Vince Young still available? The Rams are him and Chris Johnson away from assembling the skill positions from the magical 2009 Titans offense.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I wouldnt be able to handle the merciless teasing by the stronger guys and would just cry like crazy

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

DariusLikewise posted:

Is Vince Young still available? The Rams are him and Chris Johnson away from assembling the skill positions from the magical 2009 Titans offense.

Vince is in. What's LenDale White doing nowadays?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

fat greasy puto posted:

ya same, but lets say your favorite team called you up and said "hey chris gaines we have a roster spot for you, just come down to the facility tomorrow we'll get you a uniform and start you in training but we can only pay you $90k a year" what would you say

Is it the same team as Michael Sam is on? If so I would like a shower curtain before signing.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Pron on VHS posted:

I wouldnt be able to handle the merciless teasing by the stronger guys and would just cry like crazy
You already do that in real life so I don't really see the problem.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zypher posted:

It probably will. The Rams have drafted 6 receivers in the last 3 drafts, 5 of those 6 in the first four rounds. Tavon Austin was their 1st round pick last year, and Brian Quick was their 2nd round pick in 2012. They just can't keep missing over and over. And to some extent they need to let their guys attempt to develop.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rasczak posted:

I'd sign and then on the first play of scrimmage pull a Forrest Gump and run right through the endzone and off the field and then be like PEACE
This and look back and see my body crumpled on the field and realize I was a ghost.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Showing my age but for me it'd be like that episode of Married with Children where Al sells his soul to the devil to take the Bears to the Superbowl but loses his abilities once reaching it because he wasn't specific with his wish, then dies on the first play

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Quest For Glory II posted:

It probably will. The Rams have drafted 6 receivers in the last 3 drafts, 5 of those 6 in the first four rounds. Tavon Austin was their 1st round pick last year, and Brian Quick was their 2nd round pick in 2012. They just can't keep missing over and over. And to some extent they need to let their guys attempt to develop.

2011 shouldn't really count since it was under the previous regime. They really need a solid #1 receiver, and unfortunately it's not going to be any of the guys they drafted. There's a chance that Kenny Britt might just finally be that guy, but it would be a shame to pass up a selection from such a deep pool of WRs in this year's draft.

#78 Austin Pets
#112 Greg Salas

#33 Brian Quick
#96 Chris Givens

#8 Tavon Austin
#92 Stedman Bailey

:barf:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Also if you've been missing you kind of have to keep trying, it's not like you can run an offense without receivers. Now they might need to allow time for a position that typically requires a couple of years to show value develop, but the idea of not spending picks on something because it hasn't worked out in the past seems dumb to me.

Even though I made more than my share of jokes about the Chiefs drafting defensive linemen.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Intruder posted:

Showing my age but for me it'd be like that episode of Married with Children where Al sells his soul to the devil to take the Bears to the Superbowl but loses his abilities once reaching it because he wasn't specific with his wish, then dies on the first play

I watched a lot of Married with Children and dont remember this. Was this in the later seasons when they did poo poo like go to England and it was all weird?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Also if you've been missing you kind of have to keep trying, it's not like you can run an offense without receivers. Now they might need to allow time for a position that typically requires a couple of years to show value develop, but the idea of not spending picks on something because it hasn't worked out in the past seems dumb to me.
The idea of giving up on receivers that you just drafted seems dumber to me. Historically receivers do not just go nuts in their first season unless they're unbelievable talent like AJ Green or Calvin Johnson. Just look at Michael Floyd's leap from season 1 to season 2. The Keenan Allens of the world are outliers.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Zypher posted:

2011 shouldn't really count since it was under the previous regime. They really need a solid #1 receiver, and unfortunately it's not going to be any of the guys they drafted. There's a chance that Kenny Britt might just finally be that guy, but it would be a shame to pass up a selection from such a deep pool of WRs in this year's draft.

#78 Austin Pets
#112 Greg Salas

#33 Brian Quick
#96 Chris Givens

#8 Tavon Austin
#92 Stedman Bailey

If the Skins get Jackson it'd mean they got two receivers and a QB with 4 less 1st round picks.

Jeff Fisher is such a putz.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Well when you're the Rams and you're fleecing dumb teams for their high picks, you can afford to just poo poo out picks on receivers and see what sticks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

I watched a lot of Married with Children and dont remember this. Was this in the later seasons when they did poo poo like go to England and it was all weird?

Apparently in the eleventh season. Have a lovely youtube video of all of Freddy Kreuger's scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfVAYiaICwU

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West
Oakland signed Carlos Rogers. We waist-deep in 49ers leftovers.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Zypher posted:

Vince is in. What's LenDale White doing nowadays?

Living in the bottom of a bottle (or twelve) of Patrón, I believe.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Mgant posted:

Oakland signed Carlos Rogers. We waist-deep in 49ers leftovers.

Leftovers is a fun way of saying raw sewage.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quest For Glory II posted:

The idea of giving up on receivers that you just drafted seems dumber to me. Historically receivers do not just go nuts in their first season unless they're unbelievable talent like AJ Green or Calvin Johnson. Just look at Michael Floyd's leap from season 1 to season 2. The Keenan Allens of the world are outliers.

I think we're saying the same thing in that case, when you said missing I figured you were saying those guys weren't going to amount to anything. Yeah if the argument is they need to give those guys time and address something else I agree.

Also they need to replace their OC to help everything, but I guess that's asking too much.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Zypher posted:

#78 Austin Pets
#112 Greg Salas

#33 Brian Quick
#96 Chris Givens

#8 Tavon Austin
#92 Stedman Bailey

I see they're following the Millen-era Lions strategy :haw:

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Sour Diesel posted:

Well when you're the Rams and you're fleecing dumb teams for their high picks, you can afford to just poo poo out picks on receivers and see what sticks.

No you can't. If you keep missing on the first three rounds you have a huge problem no draft picks will cover up.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Chris Gaines posted:

I see they're following the Millen-era Lions strategy :haw:

Hmm yes I remember that time the Rams drafted a WR in the top 10 of the draft multiple times.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Disillusionist posted:

Hmm yes I remember that time the Rams drafted a WR in the top 10 of the draft multiple times.
Hmm yes I was totally being serious.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The new look Raiders

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I would play for Dennis Allen. Also drink before game day.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

It's great to see how much the Raiders have changed in just one month. I am growing cautiously optimistic about the next season.

EDIT: Granted last season was pretty hopeless.

Ostentatious fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 1, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'd sign for a reasonable deal so they don't have to start McGee at DT.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wait I forgot about Pat Sims. Well I can always battle it out with McGee for the first substitute job.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Based on those pictures alone the Raiders don't look that...bad? I'm not sure where their gaping holes are though outside their offensive line I believe.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Depth is the gaping hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chris Gaines posted:

Based on those pictures alone the Raiders don't look that...bad? I'm not sure where their gaping holes are though outside their offensive line I believe.

Quarterback, running back, head coach

• Locked thread