Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Jetsetlemming posted:

I'm still waiting for working out to make me happy, it so far throughout my life has always made me want to sit around in the dark for a while to compensate

it helps a bit, but it's not a bandaid. i've always been relatively active and despite running I'd still be massively depressed the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chiba City Blues posted:

lol
eating a healthy diet and exercise helps with a lot of things but saying it's the only cure for depression that works is really stupid

goons are not actually depressed, just lazy

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

The last book I read that wasn't an ebook or textbook, the last physical novel I read, was probably Liminal States by goonman goonery. It was... a goony book

Not awful for a goony book, but then it unravels in the last half and you have a woman cutting herself up and feeding herself to a bunch of dudes for entertainment, because ~nihilism~, and then the world ends or something
It started out cool though, and his short stories on the front page are still good, I'd recommend them if you haven't read them

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Schmetterling posted:

What about taking brain pills AND vitamins?!?!

I have too many pills. 5 brain pills, 3 fish oil, 1 multivitamin, 1 vitamin D.

I now understand how they can charge 3x the price for the enteric coated fish oil pills and wish I'd sprung for them. 80 days of fish oil burps. :qq:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Wildlife Analysis posted:

if he's a fyad regular he's probably an expert in clinical depression

top bunk wanker

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
Hulk Stewy Park
@suey_park

Still trending and waiting @StephenAtHome and @ColbertReport. Want to know how many hours #NotYourAsianSidekick trended? #CancelColbert
7:03 PM - 27 Mar 2014

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Sabel posted:

I got more of an endorphin rush out of DDR and swimming than squatting 2xx pounds

The music might help with DDR, I definitely get better results from running to Janelle Monae than running to podcasts. On the other hand, I get better results from sitting peacefully listening to Janelle Monae than running to podcasts.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Jetsetlemming posted:

The last book I read that wasn't an ebook or textbook, the last physical novel I read, was probably Liminal States by goonman goonery. It was... a goony book

Not awful for a goony book, but then it unravels in the last half and you have a woman cutting herself up and feeding herself to a bunch of dudes for entertainment, because ~nihilism~, and then the world ends or something
It started out cool though, and his short stories on the front page are still good, I'd recommend them if you haven't read them

i won a free promo copy of that from a thread he did to promote that book and i agree it was pretty goony
it was entertaining enough :shrug:

e: i dont see why ebooks are different than print books/arent counted though?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

step aside posted:

Hulk Stewy Park
@suey_park

Still trending and waiting @StephenAtHome and @ColbertReport. Want to know how many hours #NotYourAsianSidekick trended? #CancelColbert
7:03 PM - 27 Mar 2014

Are people offended that he tweeted something offensive, or that he lazily intentionally removed a joke from its initial context to intentionally troll people
Because I feel the latter is disappointing, because it distracts from the good point of the joke in its original context

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jetsetlemming posted:

The music might help with DDR, I definitely get better results from running to Janelle Monae than running to podcasts. On the other hand, I get better results from sitting peacefully listening to Janelle Monae than running to podcasts.
i walk everywhere, but unless i have a goal it gets boring

like if i'm getting groceries, ok, but working out just to work out? eh.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

amarantinesky posted:

I don't know if that's exactly fair, I have taken over 2 dozen different brain pills and it gets really frustrating when even your doctors get stumped and don't know what to do. Yeah there are definitely people who want SSRIs to cure their moderate depression INSTANTLY and believe me, I find that so obnoxious, but there are also people like me who are desperately hoping anything will help. It got to the point where I was like, I'm literally doing everything I can, I have a job, boyfriend, take all my pills, exercise, eat okay, and I am STILL MISERABLE. So I have become really skeptical about medication, unfortunately.

It's not meant to be fair, just honest. Before I took the meds I had a long-term gf, I exercised, went out every other weekend and was in school. I still crashed and burned spectacularly. Sometimes it is just a matter of overcoming anxiety (which many pills are designed for) and engaging in things you might not have otherwise. I agree that if your life is going nowhere it's unlikely you're going to feel much better, and not all pills work the same for all people, but that's life. It sucks.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

it's Irish magical realism, it owns

If it's anything like Russian or Japanese Magical Realism there's no possible way it couldn't own.

goons are not actually depressed, just lazy

the pills help with that tho: now i feel the basic urge to care for myself and not wallow in my own filth. the way i see it is, that's half the battle.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 3, 2014

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Jetsetlemming posted:

Are people offended that he tweeted something offensive, or that he lazily intentionally removed a joke from its initial context to intentionally troll people
Because I feel the latter is disappointing, because it distracts from the good point of the joke in its original context

it was some random intern that nobody knows or cares about, and it probably wasn't intentional.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
treatment resistant depression is an actual thing but its irresponsible and just plain wrong to say that the whole psychiatric system of medicine is at fault because of it

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Chiba City Blues posted:

i won a free promo copy of that from a thread he did to promote that book and i agree it was pretty goony
it was entertaining enough :shrug:

e: i dont see why ebooks are different than print books/arent counted though?
eBooks don't not count, I was just thinking of the last time I read a physical book. Now that I think about it though, I'm pretty sure it was actually Company by Max Barry. That book was real good, imo.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

amarantinesky posted:

I would love to walk peacefully through the woods, I am awaiting reasonable weather for this.
yeah, sightseeing is good

another pro choice--walking through the downtown area of your city and looking at all the rad late-19th/early-20th century architecture. Manhattan. :allears:

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Jetsetlemming posted:

eBooks don't not count, I was just thinking of the last time I read a physical book. Now that I think about it though, I'm pretty sure it was actually Company by Max Barry. That book was real good, imo.

lol i thought it was a :smug: ebooks arent real books thing that people still do for some reason
im reading the exact same book you are only the words are on an electric screen i dont see why people flip out over that

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

The last book I read on my Nexus was Zealot, that book about Jesus by the Muslim historian that made Fox News all upset by daring to be Muslim while studying Jesus. The last novel was American Gods, which was a nice 7/10-ish book.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

another pro choice--walking through the downtown area of your city and looking at all the rad late-19th/early-20th century architecture. Manhattan. :allears:

the downtown of the small city i go to school in has a really old rustic ~middle america~ feel to it and a lot of really old buildings are still standing and it owns

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Jetsetlemming posted:

the idea of somebody trying to threaten somebody else with a trending twitter hash tag should be beyond belief, yet here it is in the world that we live in, and maybe people call Suey Park a good activist too, which I find supremely hosed up

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Chiba City Blues posted:

lol i thought it was a :smug: ebooks arent real books thing that people still do for some reason
im reading the exact same book you are only the words are on an electric screen i dont see why people flip out over that
If I'm not reading a paper bound book in public people won't know that I'm smarter and better cultured than they are, they'll just assume I'm playing angry birds or updating facebook :saddowns:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Just walking home from work can sometimes be amazing. I walk absolutely everywhere I can, it's the best thing about living in a city imo

Urban armor is essential, of course

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

step aside posted:

the idea of somebody trying to threaten somebody else with a trending twitter hash tag should be beyond belief, yet here it is in the world that we live in, and maybe people call Suey Park a good activist too, which I find supremely hosed up

You still haven't apologized for my avatar erasure, you bigot #StepAsidestepaside

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Jetsetlemming posted:

The last book I read on my Nexus was Zealot, that book about Jesus by the Muslim historian that made Fox News all upset by daring to be Muslim while studying Jesus. The last novel was American Gods, which was a nice 7/10-ish book.

i remember that, the fox news interview was really funny because he has a PhD or some poo poo in theology and has studied the life of jesus pretty much his whole academic career but they just couldnt get over the whole muslim thing
it was kinda sad

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

step aside posted:

My hashtag can beat up your hashtag on twitter

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

step aside posted:

suey park is a big idiot and honestly an example of why slacktivists are terrible

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 3, 2014

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Jetsetlemming posted:

If I'm not reading a paper bound book in public people won't know that I'm smarter and better cultured than they are, they'll just assume I'm playing angry birds or updating facebook :saddowns:

i put keroppi stickers all over the back of my old barebones non-touchscreen non-keyboard kindle so people probably think im reading weird anime stuff but thats okay

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Twitter drama becoming national news is bullshit.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Chiba City Blues posted:

i remember that, the fox news interview was really funny because he has a PhD or some poo poo in theology and has studied the life of jesus pretty much his whole academic career but they just couldnt get over the whole muslim thing
it was kinda sad

Wow, that's sad. Also it would blow their minds to realize that Jesus was Jewish, if you could ever convince them of such a thing.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
According to The Guardian

quote:

#NotYourAsianSidekick is a civil rights movement for Asian American women
The hashtag responds to the multiple oppressions of Asian American women: patriarchy, and racism in white feminism

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Kimmalah posted:

Wow, that's sad. Also it would blow their minds to realize that Jesus was Jewish, if you could ever convince them of such a thing.

yeah, he came off as kinda smug in the interview but only because he had to keep on mentioning that he had at least one PhD in the subject and has studied this subject his whole career to get them to shut up and listen if only for a second

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

amarantinesky posted:

My point is that at a certain point you are doing all you can and it's still not enough. I don't feel like it's fair or reasonable to just be like, "well keep putting a shitload of effort into daily life when all you want to do is die" if a person IS already doing everything they can. It's easier to believe that everyone will find that pill that actually helps or that they can eventually power through it, but I don't think it always works out that way

Yes, but you're talking about something rare. most people are not going to put all the effort in (including trying meds in good faith) and be depressed for their entire lives.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Chiba City Blues posted:

it was kinda sad
It was pretty awesome, it was like a real life reversal of this:

Where they just got brutally owned by the guest they were expecting to sweat and demonize for five minutes straight until they cut for commercial

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Obligatory Toast posted:

If it's anything like Russian or Japanese Magical Realism there's no possible way it couldn't own.

I remember, this anime adaptation of a Haruki Murakami book came out, and ADTRW flipped their poo poo about it because it was so good, but then immediately fogot about it like six months later.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Gorgar posted:

At least three in the Chicago area, one of whom is withholding pizza information.

Whattup ladygoon drinks in August?

Best Tasting! posted:

or Baltimore

This ladygoon's heart.

Obligatory Toast posted:

virginia whadduuuup

This ladygoon's displaced body :saddowns:

Kat Delacour posted:

:respek:

I just did 2 poo poo house job applications featuring "What? No, no I don't have an education, nooope" because I am stuck in this inglorious hole between my over qualification and inexperience (I worked for a call centre for 7 years while I hosed around and went to uni to get proper clever). Every now and then I get inspired to transfer all my over qualification into stuff like coordinators and trainers and team leaders, but there isn't enough of that sort of thing so at some point eventually I have to say "Okay, today is the day I have to be an enthusiastic idiot for some jobs that won't call me back either". And now I am eating a double chocolate muffin for breakfast because failure begets failure.

I will hire you to just say "proper clever" periodically throughout the day.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

boom boom boom posted:

I remember, this anime adaptation of a Haruki Murakami book came out,

what

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Jetsetlemming posted:

You still haven't apologized for my avatar erasure, you bigot #StepAsidestepaside

BUllshit, she still hasn't apologized for ending all discussion of the xbox one on the SA forums #theynamedthethirdxboxthexboxone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

boom boom boom posted:

BUllshit, she still hasn't apologized for ending all discussion of the xbox one on the SA forums #theynamedthethirdxboxthexboxone

#xbone

• Locked thread