Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Worse, what actually happens is you fall on top of the spear and try to parry the entire planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

DEVLOG TI- no actually it's just a Future of the Fortress session. There was a word about plants, though:

quote:

Q: Now that we have real world fruits, etc, what will happen to the other ones (aside from the underground crops) which were basically analogs to real world crops? Like will bloated tubers become potatoes or something?

A: That's an open question. My thought was to scrap them, since the real-world ones are more interesting and I want to use that stronger diverse base of mechanics and potential mechanics as a place to generate random ones from eventually. Generated plants can have more intricate ties to generated mythology than the made-up plants without constraining the game, I think, and it allows for more possibilities (and our made-up plants are crappy enough that they could all have easily been generated without decreasing the quality at all...).

All the same, they could end up dying a slow lingering death instead, and some might survive indefinitely.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

scamtank posted:

I've heard something about really high falls on top of spear traps making the victims instantly legendary blockers or armor wearers, since the gained XP somehow scales with the astronomical amount of force inflicted. How heavy were those rocks?

I dunno, I guess that might depend on the material? It was just layer stone of some sort.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The other most important fact from the Q&As is that ghosts can feel emotions but cannot cry due to their lack of eyes.

Man, there's going to be some weird opportunities for modding. We can rid our forts of the emotionally unstable by replacing dwarf tears with lethal acid!

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 1, 2014

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

PublicOpinion posted:

Man, there's going to be some weird opportunities for modding. We can rid our forts of the emotionally unstable by replacing dwarf tears with lethal acid!

Welp, I know what I'll end up doing. A fortress of stone cold murdering communist dwarves. Bonus points if I can mod in cannibalism :getin:

Edit: seriously, cannibalism would be the best thing in DF. Suddenly all those migrants get a lot more useful. Not working? Off to the processing facility!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MohawkSatan posted:

A fortress of stone cold murdering communist dwarves.

Not really that different from how most forts end up.

I can get why Toady wants to remove the old plants but part of me will be sad if I can't feed my fort off an endless supply of plump helmets anymore. Its tradition dammit.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Internet Kraken posted:

Not really that different from how most forts end up.

I can get why Toady wants to remove the old plants but part of me will be sad if I can't feed my fort off an endless supply of plump helmets anymore. Its tradition dammit.

Underground plants seem like they'll be safe for the time being.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So yeah I'm trying Masterwork/Warlock Tower and I got the random name

KNIFERAPED

:stonk:

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
How come in adventure mode I'm forever finding cool terrain, waterfalls, gorges and stuff like that but for the life of me every fort I start is on a flat-ish area with ponds and a cliff face.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
So one of my dwarves was cleaning himself by the well even after I installed dwarven baths. They're installed so that everyone has to walk through them to get anywhere important (like the well).
Strange! I better have a look at his inventory, maybe he's got something sticky on him...

He had dwarven blood on his guts and ribs (and has since healed back up)

Sorry dude, no amount of soap will help you there. Thankfully he too came to this realisation and went back to work.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

Splode posted:

So one of my dwarves was cleaning himself by the well even after I installed dwarven baths. They're installed so that everyone has to walk through them to get anywhere important (like the well).
Strange! I better have a look at his inventory, maybe he's got something sticky on him...

He had dwarven blood on his guts and ribs (and has since healed back up)

Sorry dude, no amount of soap will help you there. Thankfully he too came to this realisation and went back to work.

Thats like the Dwarf Fortress version of MacBeth

"Lady McUrist Cancels Job: Cannot remove spot."

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I sometimes wonder how many apparent oversights like that are oversights and how many are intentional.

The thing where a dwarf picks a particular unit of material for a job and then cancels the job if that unit is missing for whatever reason, e.g. someone else got to it first or it is being moved in a container, seems like an oversight. But the thing where a dwarf obsessively tries to wash an internal body part seems silly enough to be on purpose. Perhaps in some future iteration such physical symptoms will give rise to mental conditions brought on by the constant awareness or belief that one is dirty on the inside, etc.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

But the thing where a dwarf obsessively tries to wash an internal body part seems silly enough to be on purpose.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2500

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

quote:

Quietust: Fortunately, this problem has a sort of a workaround - save the game, edit the raws to make blood boil at room temperature, load the game and unpause long enough for the blood to boil away, then save the game and change the raws back.

kwieland: Doesn't that kill all the dwarfs, Q?

Quietust: No, it doesn't - all it does it cause dwarves to refuse to eat food (with the apparent reason being that it's too hot) until you change the blood properties back to normal.

:psydwarf:

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I better be able to make Dwarvern Vodka with those potatoes :colbert:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Of course the solution to blood on internal body parts is to boil away the blood. :downs:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

So yeah I'm trying Masterwork/Warlock Tower and I got the random name

KNIFERAPED

:stonk:

In one of my fortresses one of my squads was named something like the Forest of Molesting. Renamed to abo;ljgadf cause what the hell.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Leal posted:

In one of my fortresses one of my squads was named something like the Forest of Molesting. Renamed to abo;ljgadf cause what the hell.

I would have armored them all with masterwork codpieces, if the game had them.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Leal posted:

I read that as forest of mole sting, couldn't figure out what you thought was wrong with it for a while :cripes:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like that the name generator DF uses by default isn't weighted towards words you'd typically use to name a place. It makes forts more memorable since their names are always really weird and unique.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Baudin posted:

I read that as forest of mole sting, couldn't figure out what you thought was wrong with it for a while :cripes:

Moles don't have stings. Zoological accuracy is very important.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

April fools. It's me. I'm the joke

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: It's silly day on the internet: April first. But you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to tell you something that is no joke. We are working like dogs to get this release out and you know it's coming. Because of your gifts we are able to bring it to you without worry or stress. We cannot thank you enough.

Congratulations to the generous!

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: Thanks to everybody that helped out in March! Plant objects should be ready in a day or two, then there are just intruder checks, info screens and vampire/god guards to handle for the feature list to be complete. Once that's done, I'll be cleaning random crap for a while until the game is playable, as usual.

Mar: $3606.70
Feb: $2803.99

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Masterwork DF Manual posted:

Mined "living rock" can be butchered for meat

what :stare:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Look, we don't question the meat stone. All we know is it goes really good with chopped plump helmet.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That actually neatly solves the problem I was having trying to play Warlock in evil biomes: what the gently caress do I eat?

I think one of the nicest things packaged with Masterwork DF is the preset worldgen setups that filter out all the really cruddy/boring embarks. I've tinkered with vanilla DF worldgen for probably hundreds of runs and still have a hard time getting large numbers of evil biomes.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Wait a minute. "God guards"?

Does this refers to the adventure mode overhall where new entities can take over civilizations (or like a vampire/demon posing as a god and taking over a kingdom)?

Or is this something else?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Helical Nightmares posted:

Wait a minute. "God guards"?

Does this refers to the adventure mode overhall where new entities can take over civilizations (or like a vampire/demon posing as a god and taking over a kingdom)?

Or is this something else?

In the FoF thread he mentioned that he added heaven. Well, heavens--Olympus and Elysium kinds of places up in the sky.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I hope you can infiltrate the dwarven afterlife and meet your old buddies from fortress mode. And kill them again.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

TildeATH posted:

In the FoF thread he mentioned that he added heaven. Well, heavens--Olympus and Elysium kinds of places up in the sky.

Make a staircase to Heaven

Then invade

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

TildeATH posted:

Hmmm, can I get a link on this? Sounds interesting, but I can't find it, and though I had a suspicion that this was an April Fool's joke, the date doesn't match up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Baudin posted:

Make a staircase to Heaven

Then invade

Think of all the adamantine that must be up there. I bet they pave the roads with it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Check it out, Toady posted the new plant raws!

https://bay12games.com/dwarves/plant_crops.txt
https://bay12games.com/dwarves/plant_garden.txt

Dwarven popcorn: confirmed.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I can't imagine Dwarven Coffee not having booze in it.

Evil Sheep
Jan 28, 2009
Looks like we'll be able to make paper out of papyrus. Got to have something to roll that cannabis with.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bizarre.

Five kinds of wheat beer? Sure.

But barley, the thing normal beer is made out of, makes barley wine.

And rye makes rye beer.

Neither barley nor rye is used to make whisk(e)y! No malted barley? Where's the hopps (oh I found the hopps) WTF are these dwarves doing.

Sorghum beer, rice beer (there's a comment next to frozen rice beer saying that sake is rice beer, and there are also rice wines... that's... not really right), four kinds of millet beer, teff beer, maize beer, but no beer beer.

Corn! Makes beer. Not moonshine.

e. Potato wine, for armok's sake

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 3, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

As long as he builds a framework that can accommodate the proper way things work, I don't care how wrong he gets his preliminary facts.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scamtank posted:

As long as he builds a framework that can accommodate the proper way things work, I don't care how wrong he gets his preliminary facts.

Yeah. Doesn't he periodically import proper values that have been fan-assembled?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, that's what happened to gem and stone densities during the v34 dev cycle. That was a major undertaking with a lot of references, though. Just going "nuh-uh that's not right" isn't enough to convince him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd hope "beer is made of barley" would not require a huge amount of evidence to prove.

Also there isn't hops, but there's a notation for bitter melon saying its leaves can be used instead of hops. Maybe hops is in a different raw file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there Honey? Can you make mead?