Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Rogan called up Ralek on the podcast and it seems that he is in fact not at all mad at Eddie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The most confusing Gracie is Rickson. Do I hate him? Is he cool? I don't know. This keeps me up at nights.

Rickson seems very serious and would probably be difficult to get along with in casual interaction. I've heard he gives good seminars though and will make drat sure you do the techniques right.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Rickson seems very serious and would probably be difficult to get along with in casual interaction. I've heard he gives good seminars though and will make drat sure you do the techniques right.

Fantastic seminars. I went to one in 2009 in Nashville. I was surprised how jovial he was. Supposedly he mellowed a lot after Rockson

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
He came to eat at the restaurant where I worked, when he was at valenti bros doing seminars. I caught up with him when he was coming back from the bathroom, said, "Master Rickson, osss." threw a little bjj bow in and shook his hand, he was friendly and receptive.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lobstermobster is wrong. Renzo was getting stalked to be mugged and turned it around on the muggers. Renzo is the coolest R gracie.

If you ignore how he carried on against Shungo Oyama in their Pride fight.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Metamoris isn't biased at all

quote:

Joe Rogan ‏@joerogan 1m
"@eddiebravo: Check out this description to my @MetamorisPro match with @RoylerGracie Tell me what you think pic.twitter.com/viqFJb1CQT" LOL WUT

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Im looking at the metamoris page now and don't see that. Theres a post from yesterday congratulating eddie. Says his first win was not a fluke...

Yall got played.

E- im pretty sure.

always be closing fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 1, 2014

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control
I know this has probably been said before but I'll say it again; trim your fingernails. I took a thumbnail to the eye tonight and it was not pleasant.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
just watched the match. jesus christ eddie.

Incendiary Pig posted:

I know this has probably been said before but I'll say it again; trim your fingernails. I took a thumbnail to the eye tonight and it was not pleasant.

yeah i got a badly scratched eye and that was loving agony for a good few days.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Rogan Gracie

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Whaddya gonna do, brother, when Rulkamania is running wild all over you?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
interesting to hear the behind the scenes for what eddie and royler were saying in the knee lock and the big restart argument. Props to Ralek for just saying "gently caress it start standing" when it looked like they wouldn't have the replay.

I hate hate hate when matches go out of bounds and they have a big fight over where to reset, or they do like ADCC and put torquino right in position for a heelhook.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

interesting to hear the behind the scenes for what eddie and royler were saying in the knee lock and the big restart argument. Props to Ralek for just saying "gently caress it start standing" when it looked like they wouldn't have the replay.

I hate hate hate when matches go out of bounds and they have a big fight over where to reset, or they do like ADCC and put torquino right in position for a heelhook.

I liked Eddie's idea of starting in his halfguard and moving back into the position step by step.

The Toquinho/Avellan reset was stupid because with a submission that deep they should've let it go into the stands if necessary, but once you stop them it wouldn't be fair to change the position just because it's a 98% guaranteed instant finish for one guy. With Metamoris they don't have the option to let them roll into the out of bounds areas because of the raised platform. What they did was the best they could do.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Royce being a stereotypical Brazilian obsessed with 'respect' and a huge arsehole is a water wet, sky blue sort of thing.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

interesting to hear the behind the scenes for what eddie and royler were saying in the knee lock

Sorry if I missed something but has this been clarified? Hoping for more pants chat.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

LobsterMobster posted:

Good(ish) Gracies:

Rener
Ryron
Tioki
Clark
Kyra
Besides being terrible at MMA, is there a reason Roger isn't on this list?

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Decades posted:

Sorry if I missed something but has this been clarified? Hoping for more pants chat.

Joe Rogan podcast --> http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/45610583 About 47 min in they show the video of the match with Bravo giving commentary through it.

EDIT better link if you just want to watch the match --> http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/45610583/highlight/486225

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grifter posted:

Roger is pleasant, chill, and generally quiet.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

hes pretty removed from the other Gracies in general though isn't he?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

hes pretty removed from the other Gracies in general though isn't he?

He trains with Renzo whenever he's in the US.

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control
I completely agree that Rener and Ryron are total salesmen, but they seem like generally cool dudes who love Jiu Jitsu and I totally want to hang out with them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
BUY OUR COCONUT WATER GRAPPLING POUCH SO YOU CAN POWER UP ON GRACIE COCONUT WATER WHILE YOU DO GRACIE JIU JITSU WHICH WAS INVENTED BY OUR GRANDFATHER AND OUR UNCLE DID UFC.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Ryron wants in on some of this action too: http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/ryron-gracie-i-think-that-kevin-casey-is-better-than-keenan-cornelius/

Ryron Gracie posted:

“I think Kevin Casey is better than Keenan Cornelius. I’ve never trained with Keenan, but he impressed me, but I still think that Kevin’s jiu jitsu is some of the most solid jiu jitsu, it’s on a different level. Kevin just wasn’t as prepared for those leglock positions. Kevin tapped to that heel hook because he had an MMA fight coming up and did not want to get hurt.”

I mean, full credit to Casey for stepping up on short notice, but :cmon:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Kevin Casey stinks and I don't care how good he is at BJJ, he's just a fuckin' nerd who sucks at fighting and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc2N2TiKI3o

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acsf29yRBlU

Speaking of Ryron and Rener, here's them doing the thing they do that we all love them to do with the Gracie Breakdown for Metamoris III.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Kevin Casey did look drat good for a guy showing up on an hour notice. Cornelius had to resort to suburban techniques.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Kevin Casey did look drat good for a guy showing up on an hour notice. Cornelius had to resort to suburban techniques.

He's an upper middle class white kid. Of course he uses suburban techniques. :rimshot:

The "he only tapped because he has a fight coming up" poo poo is ridiculous though. Keenan had him dead to rights, Casey's not going to let his leg get broken just because he doesn't have a fight scheduled.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Really late on this, but I watched Metamoris 3 live and it was really cool. It was the first grappling show I've watched outside of ADCC clips on youtube. Eddie Bravo is awesome, but I already knew that. Royler is kind of a bitch but I sort of already knew that. Royce is an even bigger dick than I thought I knew. As some people may have mentioned Bravo breaking down the match on Rogan's podcast is amazing and if you enjoyed the event you need to watch it (don't listen to the audio podcast).

I just a had a few general thoughts on Metamoris. The addition of Kenny was really good. He was an excellent commentator and his appearance on the MMA Hour to promote the show along with the main got me to watch. However, I'm wondering about the long term sustainability of Metamoris. Jiu Jitsu has a dearth of big names that appeal to casual viewers, even more so than MMA or boxing. So while the 11 year rematch between Bravo and Royler was really good, you're not gonna be able to consistently generate that much buzz. I can see them tapping the same fighters a lot, which can be fun, but with a lack of belts and rankings along with a lot of draws it is a hurdle for the casual viewer. The weight match ups vary a lot as well and they haven't even ironed out (no pun intended) whether pants or shorts are the way to go for no-gi matches. Right now, it is cool and pretty laid back but it seems the organization is looking to become more and more mainstream and some of the aforementioned issues could hinder that growth. Anyways other good stuff was the crowd and the drummers. I guess having a small crowd that's knowledgeable about jiu jitsu helps a lot in creating an excitable and polite atmosphere. It's nice to see people not booing when stuff goes to the ground and reacting to more intricate maneuvers. I still like MMA crowds (barring Brazil and Vegas) who in general are more boisterous and will call out people for coasting but the Metamoris crowd was a cool change of pace. I'll most likely be watching the next one.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 2, 2014

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Bioalchemist posted:

EDIT better link if you just want to watch the match --> http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/45610583/highlight/486225

Thanks for this. Eddie's half guard game is pretty cool but I still can't get over his crazy names for everything haha.

That slicer was brutal.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Grifter posted:

Her list is crap because Rose isn't on it and isn't first listed.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CuK2N-F98M

While the Bravo talk lately has been focused on his half guard, I felt BudoVideo's timing of now announcing an instructional from one of Bravo's predecessors* in a leg grabbing omo plata based guard style is perfect. Anyone have experience with this position? You ever meet Williams, Fatherdog?

*It's always been amusing to me that if you watch Roger Gracie's Bronze medal match from ADCC 2003 against Xande, he makes use of Williams Guard on the same mat where Bravo beat Royler probably within a few hours or a day at most. This isn't a knock on Eddie, he's never claimed to have invented much of anything, but it is kind of funny.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sprecherscrow posted:

Anyone have experience with this position? You ever meet Williams, Fatherdog?

I have not, nor do I use his guard or rubber guard because neither of them fit well with the way I play guard. Interestingly, Ricardo uses both; he uses rubber guard if he can hip out on the left and Sean Williams guard if he can hip out on the right, because his knee issues don't allow him to use rubber guard on the right.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I have not, nor do I use his guard or rubber guard because neither of them fit well with the way I play guard. Interestingly, Ricardo uses both; he uses rubber guard if he can hip out on the left and Sean Williams guard if he can hip out on the right, because his knee issues don't allow him to use rubber guard on the right.

this reminds me of a story: one of the kata I did in TKD had a weird stance and the rumor was that is was because the guy who taught it had a bad knee and worse english so his weird cripple stance turned into the "official" version.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

this reminds me of a story: one of the kata I did in TKD had a weird stance and the rumor was that is was because the guy who taught it had a bad knee and worse english so his weird cripple stance turned into the "official" version.

I actually got taught a hip toss not sure of the judo name. The underhook one side, grip the forearm turn your right hip to theirs, shoot your leg back etc one in a weird way because my coach at a hosed knee. It worked no worries but my BJJ coach who's also a judo black belt had to correct my technique to do it the "right way".

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Amended List of Cool Gracies, 4/04/14:

:siren:Renzo:siren:
Roger
Rose
Tioki
Clark
Kyra
Rickson???

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Roger
Rose
Tioki
Clark
Kyra
Rickson???

Neiman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gE_MruGVFo

Rickson might have to be taken off because of that whole chicken noises thing from ADCC. That was kind of douchey.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Roger
Rose
Tioki
Clark
Kyra
Rickson???

Rolles is a very nice person too

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Sprecherscrow posted:

Neiman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gE_MruGVFo

Rickson might have to be taken off because of that whole chicken noises thing from ADCC. That was kind of douchey.

Disagree it's awesome. Rickson should sit in meijing Chinese emperor robes and cluck and anyone who stalls in big tournaments.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I don't know if stepping on people's neck after a fight and spitting in someone's face during one makes them a 'Cool Gracie'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

-Atom- posted:

I don't know if stepping on people's neck after a fight and spitting in someone's face during one makes them a 'Cool Gracie'.

what about live tweeting the beat down of two muggers