Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Third game in Double-A with the knuckleballer. CG shutout on 136 pitches (granted, only on Veteran).

Still, 136 seems rather high for a pitch count in Double-A. Should've been yanked after 6, was already at 101 by that point. The hell was the manager thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

ShadowedFlames posted:

Third game in Double-A with the knuckleballer. CG shutout on 136 pitches (granted, only on Veteran).

Still, 136 seems rather high for a pitch count in Double-A. Should've been yanked after 6, was already at 101 by that point. The hell was the manager thinking?

Nothing at all.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I got it on Vita to hold me over until May. It's fun, it's baseball in my hands, but it looks awful in some places (likes the grass when the camera is moving) and in the default fielding camera there is a lot of slow-down. Using the "medium" camera view it isn't nearly as bad but the grass still looks terrible.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
My RttS guy hit .217 in 27 ABs and got called up to AAA. Uhhhhh....

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

IMB posted:

Nothing at all.

:golfclap: awesome picture.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ShadowedFlames posted:

They'll leave you in longer if you have something like a shutout, no-hitter or perfect game going.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ShadowedFlames posted:

If it's the same as in 13 in minor league ball the manager will leave you in there forever. In MLB he will pull you at 68 pitches in the 6th with 10ks, 2H, and 0ER, after you walk your first batter.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I finally caved and bought this despite my hesitation to start any serious saves until OSFM comes out. It was well worth it, since it seems they've finally managed to make a Catcher mode that isn't incredibly boring and tedious. Looks like my RTTS guy's gonna be wearing the tools this year.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I got it for Vita, played it for a few hours and was highly disappointed. It's 13 with new rosters and a slightly better UI. Guess I'll keep waiting for the PS4 version.

Resold it on Amazon and basically paid a $5.00 rental fee.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm about to go to Gamestop and pick up the PS3 version to play for a month since they are allowing a $20 upgrade when PS4 version hits. A month is too long of a wait.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

jabro posted:

I'm about to go to Gamestop and pick up the PS3 version to play for a month since they are allowing a $20 upgrade when PS4 version hits. A month is too long of a wait.

Yea I ordered the PS3 version off amazon. A coworker agreed to buy it for $50 at the end of the month so I took the plunge.

E: Also add me to the club of "Quick Counts Suck". You get fast games, yes, but getting constant at bats behind at 0-2 is frustrating and it really makes the game feel like an RNG fest.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well, I love quick counts. I wouldn't use them online but being able to burn through a couple games of franchise in an hour is well worth the loss of control to me.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Have there been any videos of PS4 gameplay yet? I haven't seen any myself and I think that's weird a month out.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

AhhYes posted:

Have there been any videos of PS4 gameplay yet? I haven't seen any myself and I think that's weird a month out.

Not yet. I imagine they haven't released any because they wanted to promote the PS3/Vita version, so hopefully we'll see some footage going forward.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is it me, or does the PS3 game this year look much better than last years? The models look really good for the players.

Manhatta
Jul 21, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

I finally caved and bought this despite my hesitation to start any serious saves until OSFM comes out. It was well worth it, since it seems they've finally managed to make a Catcher mode that isn't incredibly boring and tedious. Looks like my RTTS guy's gonna be wearing the tools this year.

What did they do differently re: catching?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I got 30 seconds into that giantbomb video before I turned it off. People think that poo poo is entertaining?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

davecrazy posted:

I got 30 seconds into that giantbomb video before I turned it off. People think that poo poo is entertaining?

I don't understand the popularity of that site. The best part of what I watched of the video is that MC Breed is on the soundtrack.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
The players look a touch better for sure. This net code though is so disappointing. I looked through the online franchise thing and it's going to be super intuitive and actually work really nice when the SA league pops up. You can set schedules as low as 14 games and a bunch of different types of scheduling methods. I played a little diamond dynasty and the online play is better but if you can spring for it get this on ps4.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

davecrazy posted:

Meh they are pretty uninformed when it comes to sports game coverage. Their podcast is one of the better gaming podcasts.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Yeah. Their podcast (and most non-sports game coverage) is excellent, but they intentionally go into sports games knowing as little as they can. They aren't the best if you actually want to actually know something about a sports game.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Giantbomb is really getting worse and worse, but yea, their sports games coverage is infuriating to anyone who has thrown a round object in their lives.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Manhatta posted:

What did they do differently re: catching?

You only call pitches with runners in scoring position, instead of all game is the main change I noticed.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Looks like Diamond Dynasty is actually working now, unlike earlier this morning. Completed a full nine-inning Extra Innings game (all the fun of playing against other created teams without the actual pubbies!) and it processed right away. Won 1-0 incidentally, on a late innings dinger by my catcher who has 14 power.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

ShadowedFlames posted:

You only call pitches with runners in scoring position, instead of all game is the main change I noticed.

Oh gently caress yes. Always want to make my guy a catcher but could never make it through more than two or three games before I say gently caress it and quit because it takes FOR loving EVER

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

ShadowedFlames posted:

That's the primary difference, although there's a lot more going on.

- You set a specific target instead of just calling for pitch X in zone Y. Pick a pitch, move the glove to the place you want it, and away you go.
- You need to move the catcher mitt icon to where the pitch is going, otherwise it's going to result in a wild pitch/passed ball.
- Pitchers in AA throw accurately enough now that you don't drive yourself batshit insane (as much).
- You can sim through a defensive part if you don't want to play (although you'll have to do it for each one).

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Oh gently caress yes. Always want to make my guy a catcher but could never make it through more than two or three games before I say gently caress it and quit because it takes FOR loving EVER
Most RTTS games are pretty quick now. Only time it drags on is if your pitchers are getting shelled, and now that you can skip through it now, playing a RTTS catcher is actually fun.

Considering I played catcher (and loved it) in LL/HS, it's probably the best improvement the series has had for me.

Also, I got the digital version this year, and I'm noticing the framerate drop to slideshow levels of bad at times, mostly after a ball is put in play. Anyone else having this issue, or is it my PS3 being poo poo?

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 6, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I finally got the game and got it installed (gently caress you PSN for being a slow piece of poo poo). For someone who has literally not played a baseball videogame since Ken Griffey Jr. baseball what mode should I start with? I kinda wanna see if I can manage to snag the Phillies (or the Astros :gonk: ) a playoff spot given their horrifying roster but I'd also like to see if I could take a player up through the minors.

Are minor league teams accurate in terms of team name/location/roster? Can you do crazy things like make some poor single A team play the Yankees?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhfd6A5X6Aw

:aaaaa:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

axeil posted:

So I finally got the game and got it installed (gently caress you PSN for being a slow piece of poo poo). For someone who has literally not played a baseball videogame since Ken Griffey Jr. baseball what mode should I start with? I kinda wanna see if I can manage to snag the Phillies (or the Astros :gonk: ) a playoff spot given their horrifying roster but I'd also like to see if I could take a player up through the minors.

Are minor league teams accurate in terms of team name/location/roster? Can you do crazy things like make some poor single A team play the Yankees?

Real AA and AAA teams with locations and team names. Rosters are generic names but there are spergs over at Operation Sports that makes an accurate roster every year. By the time they are done with it though you will grow tired of waiting for it since you are a casual player. Just start now. And in the Play Now game mode you can make some helpless AA team play against a Major League squad.

If they have the San Diego foul line girls making catches I'll really be impressed.

jabro fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 7, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

:fap:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Dinger Machine is in the PS4 version? :aaa: I'm guessing since the Twins logo handshake thing works we can have our garish monstrosity light up when we hit home runs. I'm stunned at the level of detail they have in the crowds. I'm probably not getting a PS4 until next year at the earliest but drat, that is all really cool.

jabro posted:

Real AA and AAA teams with locations and team names. Rosters are generic names but there are spergs over at Operation Sports that makes an accurate roster every year. By the time they are done with it though you will grow tired of waiting for it since you are a casual player. Just start now. And in the Play Now game mode you can make some helpless AA team play against a Major League squad.

Thanks for this. I don't care too much about accurate AA and AAA rosters except for maybe the Phillies but it's really neat that there's a way to do it.

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 7, 2014

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

1. I am buying the poo poo out of this. I mean, I was before, but holy gently caress.

2. I cannot wait to see later games in the series, when they figure out just how much graphical wizardry they can get away with.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

rickiep00h posted:

2. I cannot wait to see later games in the series, when they figure out just how much graphical wizardry they can get away with.

Planes flying overhead to Laguardia at CitiField

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Took me forever to find this thread. Who knew there was a subforum specifically for sports games?

I picked up the Vita version on a whim (I thought the box was pretty) despite no prior experience with any ball-based sports game except for that Ken Griffey game back on the N64. I think it's pretty great despite not understanding anything about Baseball except for the basic concept. Because of that, I'm wondering why I seem to only be pitching and never up to bat. I went through the three Amateur Showcase games as a pitcher (never had a choice otherwise) and was drafted into the Akron Rubberducks, where I usually pitch through all nine Innings. Did I do something wrong somewhere? Do I eventually get to hit a ball? Should I start watching Baseball? Everything may as well be in a different language.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

I don't even own a PS4, and I've told my partner that I will be buying this to play on their system. Holy poo poo.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dr. Wang posted:

Took me forever to find this thread. Who knew there was a subforum specifically for sports games?

I picked up the Vita version on a whim (I thought the box was pretty) despite no prior experience with any ball-based sports game except for that Ken Griffey game back on the N64. I think it's pretty great despite not understanding anything about Baseball except for the basic concept. Because of that, I'm wondering why I seem to only be pitching and never up to bat. I went through the three Amateur Showcase games as a pitcher (never had a choice otherwise) and was drafted into the Akron Rubberducks, where I usually pitch through all nine Innings. Did I do something wrong somewhere? Do I eventually get to hit a ball? Should I start watching Baseball? Everything may as well be in a different language.

You're a pitcher in the minor leagues. They use the DH where the pitcher doesn't bat. You also were drafted by an AL team so when you make it to the majors you won't bat either unless you get traded to a NL team or sign with one when your arbitration years are up.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
I'll be running an online franchise on another site I'm apart of. We are looking at 162 games and quick counts on depending on how quick counts are tweaked in the next patch. If anyone is interested PM me and I can give you the site details. This will be done on the PS4 version and we are hoping to get about 12-14 people to start with.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

jabro posted:

You're a pitcher in the minor leagues. They use the DH where the pitcher doesn't bat. You also were drafted by an AL team so when you make it to the majors you won't bat either unless you get traded to a NL team or sign with one when your arbitration years are up.

Ah, alright. That clears things up for me. Thanks.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I started franchise mode as the Phillies and I'm having a lot of fun on the pitching side. I'm about halfway through April, simming about 2 out of every 3 games and dominating the league in strikeouts and ERA. Unfortunately my offense is atrocious and I hate batting. Does anyone have any tips? I'm doing the batting style where you have to hit the button and use the left stick. It's really hard to figure out what pitch is coming and I think the only walks I've gotten came from quick counts putting me at 3-1.

I'm bad at baserunning too. I had 9 hits against the Cubs somehow but I ended up recording 4 outs from baserunning like an idiot (including going from runners on 3rd and 2nd with no outs to empty bases with 2 outs :gonk: ) because I could not for the life of me figure out how to advance runners on a double or advance guys in scoring position on a single. They'd always just stop at first/third and then get trapped while the throw came in.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Well that seals it. If PSN has an upgrade deal, I'm buying a PS4 in a month.

axeil posted:

I started franchise mode as the Phillies and I'm having a lot of fun on the pitching side. I'm about halfway through April, simming about 2 out of every 3 games and dominating the league in strikeouts and ERA. Unfortunately my offense is atrocious and I hate batting. Does anyone have any tips? I'm doing the batting style where you have to hit the button and use the left stick. It's really hard to figure out what pitch is coming and I think the only walks I've gotten came from quick counts putting me at 3-1.

I'm bad at baserunning too. I had 9 hits against the Cubs somehow but I ended up recording 4 outs from baserunning like an idiot (including going from runners on 3rd and 2nd with no outs to empty bases with 2 outs :gonk: ) because I could not for the life of me figure out how to advance runners on a double or advance guys in scoring position on a single. They'd always just stop at first/third and then get trapped while the throw came in.

Look for pitches in a certain area. Also, be aware of what the situation details. For example: Is there a runner on 1st with less than 2 outs? Odds are they're going to pitch you low to get a double play. Also, try to find a camera angle that works for you. The default batting camera, in my opinion, is zoomed so far back you can't really tell how a pitch is breaking all that well.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 8, 2014

• Locked thread