Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Incoherence posted:

Some impressions of the new as-yet-untitled Opeth album. Depending on your point of view, you will either be disappointed or excited that it's apparently the love child of Ghost Reveries and Damnation (and also that there's no growling on this album either).

Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

caiman posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. This should keep me busy for a while.

Just a few more:
Illogicist
Pavor
Nero Di Marte
Beyond Creation

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Another album with no growls what the gently caress Opeth goddamn you assholes

if it really is like a combination of ghost reveries and damnation i might actually like this one, but yeah lmao akerfeldt has one of the best growls in metal and he just doesn't really use it that much anymore. i guess he's getting old

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Has anyone gone to/is anyone going to the Decibel Magazine tour? I got my ticket to the Columbus show yesterday. Got screwed over on pricing because the venue apparently only opens the Box Office on the day of the show and makes you buy advance tickets through Ticketmaster (paid $34 for a "$23" ticket), and I have to drive 90 minutes with a morning class the next day, but I'm hoping it will be worth it because Carcass and Gorguts are two of my favorite bands.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I'm gonna be there today. Gonna meet Luc fuckin' Lemay :smugdog:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The new Sabaton doesn't sound like poo poo, actually this new track is probably the best song they've released in a long time (OK, OK, I actually really like their entire last album) it's like a perfect blend of synth obsessed era Dio and Rebellion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYWdgBtSM8s

Between this and the new Epica and Edguy it looks like a good couple months for cheesy power metal. I really dislike Epica but this new "Kalmah meets Sirenia" thing they have going on their new album is pretty good in my book.

The new Iron Savior wasn't awful either, just above average. It reminds me of Highland Glory (who are the best cheesy power metal band you've never heard of, Cradle to the Brave is a work of genius).

Edit: gently caress it, listen to this band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQrvViwRZlQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKRb-JjHwO0

Double Edit: HOLY KNIGHTS RELEASED A SECOND ALBUM WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THIS WHEN IT HAPPENED THEY ARE THE BEST TERRIBLE ITALIAN POWER METAL GROUP

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 30, 2014

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The new Sabaton doesn't sound like poo poo, actually this new track is probably the best song they've released in a long time (OK, OK, I actually really like their entire last album) it's like a perfect blend of synth obsessed era Dio and Rebellion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYWdgBtSM8s

Huh, I thought I'd heard they broke up. Not as good as Carolus Rex and definitely retro though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That Rainbow in the Dark cover is great, but I noticed that the Holy Diver cover is Killswitch Engage, which they did 4 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7dG_m3MsI

It's actually pretty good for most of the song but the chorus in that goddamn metalcore scream just ruins it for me.
Yeah, this really pisses me off. That screamo poo poo is just so goddamn out of place and lovely.
Also, the vocals on Catch the Rainbow get really loving irritating at some points, which is a big shame since the instrumentation is really solid. gently caress you Glenn Hughes, whoever you are, your stupid nasal singing style is horrid.

Otherwise though, really good tribute album. Quite surprisingly my favourite track is the Scorpions' take on Temple of the King. Sounds very soulful, and I've never heard Klaus Meine sing this well.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Between this and the new Epica and Edguy it looks like a good couple months for cheesy power metal.
gently caress yeah I'm so pumped for the new Edguy. I love both of the songs they have put out already. Sabre & Torch is just really solid crunchy power metal, and Love Tyger is... well, it's glam as gently caress and hilarious at that.

Oh and add the new Gamma Ray to the list of "Why this spring is awesome for power metal".

DeusExMachinima posted:

Huh, I thought I'd heard they broke up. Not as good as Carolus Rex and definitely retro though.
Was I the only one who didn't find Carolus Rex all that special? Sure it has a few good solid Sabaton tracks, but overall I much preferred the previous album. I have high hopes for the upcoming one though. (can't listen to that link atm, as I'm at work)

Also, maybe the breaking-up thing you thought you heard about was a couple ex-Sabaton guys founding Civil War? Check that band out, it's pretty excellent Dio worship.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Has anyone gone to/is anyone going to the Decibel Magazine tour? I got my ticket to the Columbus show yesterday. Got screwed over on pricing because the venue apparently only opens the Box Office on the day of the show and makes you buy advance tickets through Ticketmaster (paid $34 for a "$23" ticket), and I have to drive 90 minutes with a morning class the next day, but I'm hoping it will be worth it because Carcass and Gorguts are two of my favorite bands.

Make sure and wear earplugs. The Black Dahlia Murder, who are lovely, played way louder than the other bands and I think gave me tinnitus.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Nordick posted:

gently caress you Glenn Hughes, whoever you are, your stupid nasal singing style is horrid.

He's a former Deep Purple member. He's like 60 and hasn't really lost any range since the 70s which is kinda impressive.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

david crosby posted:

Make sure and wear earplugs. The Black Dahlia Murder, who are lovely, played way louder than the other bands and I think gave me tinnitus.

Yeah I hate that metal shows are too loud. I've been in ones that basically sound like they were tuned for listening with ear protection.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

m-o-o-n posted:

He's a former Deep Purple member. He's like 60 and hasn't really lost any range since the 70s which is kinda impressive.
Technically impressive, sure. Artistically, I'm not a fan at all.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Hammer Floyd posted:

HOORAY! I DIDN'T GET A BLANK LOOK!

I'm psyched. Most of the time, if I'm listening to a metal album and I think it sounds awesome, Jens has had something to do with it.

I'll post a youtube link once Jens has done everything and do a blatant plug then ;)

Counterpoint: apparently Jens Borgen is producing the new Dragonforce album which is destined to be suck, so apparently you can't turn anything to gold

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Gamma Ray's new album opens with this big honking 9:21 minute motherfucker, and it is so loving good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckmPbGs1SA

(despite the horrible cgi album cover)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

Gamma Ray's new album opens with this big honking 9:21 minute motherfucker, and it is so loving good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckmPbGs1SA

(despite the horrible cgi album cover)

Yesssssss it's Heading For Tomorrow part 2

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Reminds me of a Kamelot song off The Black Halo somehow.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Incoherence posted:

Some impressions of the new as-yet-untitled Opeth album. Depending on your point of view, you will either be disappointed or excited that it's apparently the love child of Ghost Reveries and Damnation (and also that there's no growling on this album either).

So it's poo poo - he should just change the name of the loving band already as it's the Mikael Jerks-Off 70s Prog Bands Hour now.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Vintersorg posted:

So it's poo poo - he should just change the name of the loving band already as it's the Mikael Jerks-Off 70s Prog Bands Hour now.

But that sounds like a pretty kick rear end hour of music :confused:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Sabaton didn't break up they've just replaced every member but the singer in the last three years.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

m-o-o-n posted:

Sabbath too. His voice is kinda thin and reedy though. Funnily enough he kinda sounds like Lou Gramm here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySdlN_F9kZo

At any rate no track on the Dio tribute is as horrid as Halestorm's.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 1, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

m-o-o-n posted:

Unlike a certain other Deep Purple member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Pomp posted:

Unlike a certain other Deep Purple member

Gillan and Coverdale are so bad nowadays.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
I just bought my ticket for Paganfest 2014! I know Varg are considered to be poo poo, but how are Chthonic live? I've seen Turisas and Korpiklaani.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Gorilla Radio posted:

I just bought my ticket for Paganfest 2014! I know Varg are considered to be poo poo, but how are Chthonic live? I've seen Turisas and Korpiklaani.

I saw Chthonic on their first US tour back in the day and they were excellent then. Great sound & lots of energy, and after they came out to hang out and autograph, really friendly folks.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Anyone going to Sonisphere this year? I'm going to be booking my tickets in the next few days. Looks like a pretty good lineup! Looking forward to Ghost, Maiden, Prodigy, Devin Townsend, Gojira the most :). Metallica I'm not too bothered about, but it'll be cool to see them anyway as they are such a big name.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Gorilla Radio posted:

Anecdote tells me that they are god-damned amazing. So that's 3/5 good bands, which is not a bad ratio for Paganfest (Winterhymn loving suck).

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

edrith posted:

(Winterhymn loving suck).

Really? I found them on Spotify and didn't think they were terrible. At least it's not Alestorm again.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Saw Dream Theater Tuesday night in D.C. A great show and the band really looks like they are having a good time since Portnoy left. And they played Space Dye Vest live which apparently loving owns.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Has anyone else heard a song that SO good that they literally get angry because of it? Maybe it's just the musician in me.

gently caress Tom G. Wa--... sorry, THOMAS GABRIEL FISCHER, for writing two of the best songs I've heard in months and months. I bet he wears that beanie because he head is so full of good riffs and he doesn't want them spilling out. I cannot WAIT for the new Triptykon album.

https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/triptykon-breathing
https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/triptykon-boleskine-house

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

henpod posted:

Metallica I'm not too bothered about, but it'll be cool to see them anyway as they are such a big name.

#gottamakesurenoonethinksimgoingforMetallica

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Father_Johann posted:

#gottamakesurenoonethinksimgoingforMetallica

You couldn't have expressed this in any other way than a hash tag?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Has anyone else heard a song that SO good that they literally get angry because of it? Maybe it's just the musician in me.

gently caress Tom G. Wa--... sorry, THOMAS GABRIEL FISCHER, for writing two of the best songs I've heard in months and months. I bet he wears that beanie because he head is so full of good riffs and he doesn't want them spilling out. I cannot WAIT for the new Triptykon album.

https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/triptykon-breathing
https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/triptykon-boleskine-house

I felt really good after hearing these first two tracks. As if this could be even better than their debut. It's kind of ironic too after reading the new Decibel article this month on how new Triptykon album almost didn't happen (thanks to Tom's girlfriend?). Who would have thought that growing up in a house with a dead beat mother who was a smuggler and hoarded hundreds of stray cats would lead to music this depressing and loathing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sylink posted:

Saw Dream Theater Tuesday night in D.C. A great show and the band really looks like they are having a good time since Portnoy left. And they played Space Dye Vest live which apparently loving owns.

Oh man, I wish I knew about that, wasn't poor, and wasn't dead sick on Tuesday. They have never played Space Dye Vest live that I know of.

Also I should probably listen to that album they put out like a year ago.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

QPZIL posted:

You couldn't have expressed this in any other way than a hash tag?

#Iliterallyonlywriteinhashtags

:nsa:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Probably one of my favorite probations this year. That's like seeing some dude cut you off in traffic and lose control and go into the woods.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

IRQ posted:

Oh man, I wish I knew about that, wasn't poor, and wasn't dead sick on Tuesday. They have never played Space Dye Vest live that I know of.

Also I should probably listen to that album they put out like a year ago.

I would see Dream Theater again if I knew they were going to play Space Dye Vest. Is this the first time they've played it live with Rudess?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

skudmunky posted:

I would see Dream Theater again if I knew they were going to play Space Dye Vest. Is this the first time they've played it live with Rudess?

I know of once prior to this tour (which I know nothing about, it might be a regular thing now) that any of them have played it, and it was Rudess and LaBrie in a bootleg video at some bar years ago. Until now the official line was that it was so much Moore's song that they didn't feel right playing it. Maybe that was Portnoy's thing so it's back on the table? I dunno, I just want to hear that song live; always have loved it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would be absolutely thrilled if Dream Theater would do another Scenes From A Memory tour. SFAM is by far their best album.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Probably one of my favorite probations this year. That's like seeing some dude cut you off in traffic and lose control and go into the woods.

For me it's like when some dick flies by you on the highway at 120mph, and then later you see him pulled over looking pissed off.

But on topic - can anyone recommend anything that sounds like the two new Triptykon songs? I mean, newer Celtic Frost stuff is a given, but anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

QPZIL posted:

But on topic - can anyone recommend anything that sounds like the two new Triptykon songs? I mean, newer Celtic Frost stuff is a given, but anything else?

The new Dread Sovereign is definitely doomy, droney, and huge.