Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ooo mama.

Galaia, Swordseeker
4UR
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Chimera

When Galaia enters the battlefield, search your library for an equipment spell, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your library.
When Galaia attacks, you may pay 4. If you do, put an equipment spell into play and equip it to Galaia.

Haste
4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

jassi007 posted:

I knew someone was going to object to me saying she had asian features. Whatever. These two people don't look like each other.

It happens:

v:v:v

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Yay Ajani officially announced, now we just need someone to leak his rules text.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

jassi007 posted:

maybe it was legendary enchantments are only god stuff? It was something about the reason why chromanticore couldn't be a legendary.

Legendary Enchantment Creature — Manticore is too long to fit on the type line. The reason God is a creature type and they aren't Avatars is God is the only word that would fit after Legendary Enchantment Creature.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

There is information on some of the gods that isn't online, you only find it in the Players' Guide you get with fat packs. Some of it is interesting:

quote:

Ephara is the patron god of the city-state of Meletis. She presides over all aspects of civilization, including city-building, learning, industry, architecture and philosophy. She believes in establishing stability without crushing imagination, and she recognizes that mortals can create wonders when they work together. Even in the trouble times that shake Theros, she stands firmly on the side of the humans.

According to legend, Ephara granted mortals the magic that allowed them to free themselves from tyranny. An archon called Agnomakhos had ruled the area with an iron fist for centuries, enforcing his will with an army of leonin. With the help of Ephara, the mortals overthrew the archon and drove out his forces, establishing the enlightened polis of Meletis in the wreckage of her empire.

Ephara is associated with white and blue mana, and her presence is believed to keep at bay the forces of the wild. Statues of her abound in Meletis, depicting her with a great urn from which pour enlightenment and prosperity. Whenever a new stone wall or marble edifice is raised, it almost always includes a representation of the god's face.

quote:

Phenax, the masked patron of lies and cheats, was imprisoned by Heliod in the Underworld. He chafed at his bonds and eventually discovered a way to escape. Phenax crossed back over the Rivers That Ring the World on the tattered cloak of Athreos, who ferries the dead to their ultimate rest. Because Phenax was hidden by illusion, the river guide could not detect him, and Erebos could not find him to drag him back.

Other restless shades watched his passing, but without divine powers of deception, they could escape only by surrendering their identities. They followed the "Path of Phenax" to become the Returned and haunt the world once more. They worship the god as their patron because he showed them the way.

Phenax is associated with blue and black mana, and he governs the realms of gambling, deception, betrayal, plots and secrets. He is worshipped by criminals and others who wish to subvert the rules. He is delighted by Xenagos's upending of the natural order and thoroughly approves of scapegoating Elspeth.

So there's your link between Phenax and the Returned both having gold masks. Phenax is kind of a complete gently caress. Related: He and Ashiok are currently doing things in the Dack Fayden the greatest thief in the multiverse comics.

quote:

The god of wrath and pain, Mogis takes the form of a ferocious minotaur. In his dominion over warfare, he delights in the dark side of battle, feasting on the utter destruction and abject fear of the defeated. Mogis is the twin brother of Iroas, god of victory, who commands the nobler aspects of war, and the two spar constantly.

Minotaurs are Mogis's most fervent worshippers. They embody the qualities he admires most, and he encourages them to ravage the countryside. Barbaric and cruel human warriors also honor Mogis, but he has turned away from such followers in the recent crisis. His single-mindedness has made him an unwitting pawn in Xenagos's plans.

Sadism, revenge, malice, domination . . . these are Mogis's spoils, and his worshippers are legion. Associated with black and red mana, he has no loftier goal than spreading destruction throughout the world. He wields a fearsome axe and seeks to keep its jagged edge drenched in blood.

quote:

Karametra is the god of the harvest, the hearth, and protection. She is the patron deity of Setessa, where a mystical grove of ancient trees enclose an immense temple to her. A serene, wise god, Karametra values community, stability, and the balance of nature. She speaks of Nylea, god of the hunt, as her sister; while the two often come into conflict, Karametra values wild animals as protectors of civilization.

Though she also governs the realms of fertility, motherhood, and agriculture, Karametra is not a pacifist god. Her signature item is a scythe, signifying both the harvest and the natural laws of life and death. She is often depicted with a sable, a weasel-like creature of great ferocity.

Karametra is associated with green and white mana. She governs the defense of home and hearth against outside threats, and she stands with her mortal worshippers against the tide of Nyxborn creatures.

quote:

The satyr Xenagos fully indulged himself in the revels of the Skola Valley before his Planeswalker spark ingnited. After traveling the Multiverse and learning the truth of the gods' nature, he returned to his home plane disillusioned but with a bold new plan: he would seize power on the Theros by becoming a god himself. In his arrogance, he sees this ascension as his right.

Harnessing his fearsome ability to whip creatures into a frenzy, Xenagos orchestrated a series of mystical rituals to begin his transformation to godhood. One last ritual, a Great Revel, would complete his apotheosis. With the defeat of Mogis's minotaurs, that moment had come: at the revel's height, Xenagos burst into Nyx. In the great Temple of Abandon, the empty throne grew and changed to reflect the new god's arrival.

As a full-fledged god, Xenagos is associated with red and green mana. His domain encompasses indulgence, mischief, destruction, and mockery. He intends to spread his influence across Theros until the whole plane is a never-ending rollick. The elder gods, meanwhile, fear not only the upstart's plans but also the threat his ascension represents to their exclusive status.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 2, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

jassi007 posted:

The style is different, she looks swarthy in the second image and eurasian in the first. She looks like two different ethnicities.

Have you ever seen an Asian person? Elspeth does not look like different ethnicities on those cards, they both look white European. If you want to look at planeswalker ethnicity swap, Sarkhan Vol looks pretty European on his first card but very Asian on his second.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

His behavior there is waaaaaaay more Blue-Black than Red-Green.

I'm going to stick with my own, non-shittily characterized interpretation of Xenagos, thank you very much :colbert:

Eh yeah, I can roll with that. These novels continue to impress me with how bad they can be.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Elspeth is also a Scottish name, a variant of Elizabeth. (Not that names determine everything since they went and made red-haired Irish Chandra canon.)

It'd be hilarious if everyone trying to use Kruphix to figure out how to topple Xenagos end up playing into a bigger plot that topples every god except Kruphix.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

GoutPatrol posted:

From the Planeswalker's guide to Journey Into Nyx:

Time for another Heroes' Reunion reprint! :unsmith:
I think you mean Congregation at Dawn :colbert:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Have you ever seen an Asian person? Elspeth does not look like different ethnicities on those cards, they both look white European. If you want to look at planeswalker ethnicity swap, Sarkhan Vol looks pretty European on his first card but very Asian on his second.

Seems like people are making that giant leap to Asian because her hair takes some cues from the culture. However, all her other features look European and are pretty similar on both cards aside from dyed/sun-bleached hair.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Pretty sure it would feature 3 creatures in the art and not 2 planeswalkers if that were the case.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Thor-Stryker posted:

Seems like people are making that giant leap to Asian because her hair takes some cues from the culture. However, all her other features look European and are pretty similar on both cards aside from dyed/sun-bleached hair.

It makes sense now. Heliod owns a kickin' rad tanning salon.

Entropic posted:

Pretty sure it would feature 3 creatures in the art and not 2 planeswalkers if that were the case.

There's other Leonin in the art. :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

There's other Leonin in the art. :colbert:

Four of them, for a total of 6 figures.

Congregation at Dawn Twice. :colbert:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Congregation at Noon.
Kitties need their sleep. :3:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Heliod confirmed for Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Chorocojo posted:

So there's your link between Phenax and the Returned both having gold masks. Phenax is kind of a complete gently caress. Related: He and Ashiok are currently doing things in the Dack Fayden the greatest thief in the multiverse comics.
Just more proof that U/B is the worst and Not To Be Trusted (ever).

Also Xenagos apparently represents double mischief.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

I trust Kruphix even less than Phenax, to be honest. He knows something.

Zero_Grade posted:

Just more proof that U/B is the worst and Not To Be Trusted (ever).

Also Xenagos apparently represents double mischief.

Oops! Second one is supposed to be mockery.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Chorocojo posted:

I trust Kruphix even less than Phenax, to be honest. He knows something.

He knows everything.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

It makes sense now. Heliod owns a kickin' rad tanning salon.

Oh no elspeth don't get cancer! :ohdear:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Chorocojo posted:

I kind of liked double mischief honestly. Reminded me of the crazy poo poo you'd see from Dwarf Fortress randomly generated pantheons.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Entropic posted:

Maybe it's a new card sort of Congregation at Dawn or Signal the Clans? I mean it does have Ajani's cat soldier army in the background. If they made it cheap like GW I could see such a card seeing some play. Helps GW keep up the pressure later on or helps you keep a mana-heavy hand knowing you'll translate 1 card for 2. Add a CMC limit so it isn't completely abused.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
GW needs something good out of this set because selesnya decks got screwed over in BotG. Even Karametra sucks.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

GW needs something good out of this set because selesnya decks got screwed over in BotG. Even Karametra sucks.

Very good for EDH, though.

No seriously, make a landfall deck and see how it goes.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Bored at work and MTGO has been down all day :bang:. I have been trying to get information on programming MTGO bots but the only info I found starts from a downloaded bot package made by someone who cashes in on about 3.5% of all transactions of its users. I want to program one from scratch to divvy out to others and cash in on that same percentage (or less to undercut the ever popular MTGO Library and have the Goon version run rampant :cawg:). If anyone has any info on this or would like to help and collaborate please PM me.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ramos posted:

edit-nope look how wrong i am

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

I have never been so loving sick of Craterhoof Behemoth and Avenger of Zendikar high-fiving all over my life total before my brother picked up Karametra as a Commander.

You know, when Elesh Norn isn't piledriving my board position into mush.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I have never been so loving sick of Craterhoof Behemoth and Avenger of Zendikar high-fiving all over my life total before my brother picked up Karametra as a Commander.

I'd like to take this moment to point out that Karametra's Hat looks a lot like Elesh Norn's :tinfoil:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I think you're out of luck, the next set will be all enemy pairs won't it? Uness you'll settle for things that are one or the other and work in the archetype.

We're expecting the September block to be announced at PAX in about a week, right?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Try Curse of Exhaustion or some other stuff like that.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mindisgone posted:

Bored at work and MTGO has been down all day :bang:. I have been trying to get information on programming MTGO bots but the only info I found starts from a downloaded bot package made by someone who cashes in on about 3.5% of all transactions of its users. I want to program one from scratch to divvy out to others and cash in on that same percentage (or less to undercut the ever popular MTGO Library and have the Goon version run rampant :cawg:). If anyone has any info on this or would like to help and collaborate please PM me.

I always thought the bots just connected to modos IRC backend, but then of course how would they interact with the trading fields. I know some were banned recently for dll injection so the ones that are left must just use UI scripting.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1964529/online-trading-bot is what I could find. Also you could try buying one of the commercial bots and see how it's set up. If they charge by volume of trades and you're not actually using it cuz you're rolling your own, maybe it wold be cost effective to buy and trial and see how it works in practice.

Oh how I wish they'd dump the verisimilitude with binders and actual 1:1 trades and just go to some anonymous stockmarket type approach. But of course they can't even keep a tournament from crashing so good luck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think you're out of luck, the next set will be all enemy pairs won't it? Uness you'll settle for things that are one or the other and work in the archetype.

We're expecting the September block to be announced at PAX in about a week, right?

Something like that. Though maybe this new ajani will be G/W and we'll get something else neat. Selesnya used to be a fun color combo in standard and it's really fallen behind.

Edit: hey did you get those cards I sent you?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

Try Curse of Exhaustion or some other stuff like that.

I play mono-red. If the answer isn't dealing 3 damage to target creature or player it tends to be out of my reach.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

I play mono-red. If the answer isn't dealing 3 damage to target creature or player it tends to be out of my reach.

Stranglehold, Chaos Warp, and Torpor Orb are your buddies here.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Chain Reaction and Blasphemous Act are two of my favorite lesser-known Wrath effects in mono-red. You also have Cinder Cloud and Fissure from a time when the color pie didn't matter and red could get unconditional creature removal.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Saeku posted:

Karametra is an on-cast trigger, not ETB, so Torpor Orb doesn't stop her from racking up lands. e: it'll kneecap Avenger of Zendikar, though

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Saeku posted:

The best chaos warps are the ones where where you go through all the trouble of shuffling the big rear end deck and then flip over the tucked card.

Also, Threaten effects with a sac outlet (or just Grab the Reins) are also a decent answer, especially if you have something like Mimic Vat or Skullclamp to capitalize on the death.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
You know what you need?

You need some poo poo that fucks up spellcasting.

You need Knowledge Pool and Possibility Storm.

Also, Zo-Zu the Punisher and Ankh of Mishra will punch him in the face for playing lands.

EDIT: Two words: Storm Cauldron.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 2, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BJPaskoff posted:

Chain Reaction and Blasphemous Act are two of my favorite lesser-known Wrath effects in mono-red. You also have Cinder Cloud and Fissure from a time when the color pie didn't matter and red could get unconditional creature removal.

I think it would be kind of incredible to play a Kiki-Jiki into a Ball Lightning with a Nykthos on board for an Insurrection but that would probably never happen in a game of Elder Dragon Highlander.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I was going to say there were enemy colored gold cards in BotG, but it was only Kiora and her followers... still, no reason why they can't go with Ajani and a few of his bros/sisters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

JerryLee posted:

I was going to say there were enemy colored gold cards in BotG, but it was only Kiora and her followers... still, no reason why they can't go with Ajani and a few of his bros/sisters.

Everything is set up for a GW Mythic in JOU, there's even an incomplete cycle of allied color mythics in Theros that's missing GW.

• Locked thread