Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
It's fairly sad that the last President to even try to stand up to Israel was Gerald Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sucrose posted:

This is one of the few times I wish more Americans were harder nationalists.

You mean isolationists.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

You mean isolationists.

Because clearly our involvement is making things better in the middle east.

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

It's fairly sad that the last President to even try to stand up to Israel was Gerald Ford.
In the first few years of the Obama administration there was some public tension over the settlements, but Obama ended up backing down.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mitt Romney flew to Israel to get endorsed by Benjamin Netanyahu, so there has to be alot of bad blood there.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
This whole hullabaloo about Pollard is completely pointless. If the U.S government wanted to actually 'entice' Israel to go to the negotiating table, they could hint at cutting off military aid. If they did that, we'd be seeing peace rallies in Jerusalem by week's end.

Too bad that everyone doing that would pretty much be signing their own resignation notice.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I find the relationship between the United States and Israel to be completely baffling.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Phlegmish posted:

I find the relationship between the United States and Israel to be completely baffling.

In famous nerd wargame "Warhammer 40,000", technology has become so ritualized and the science behind it lost so long ago that computer programs are treated like spirits that must be prayed to and placated and this is basically how American realpolitik has evolved with regard to Israel since the end of the cold war.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The whole Pollard thing is fortunately kind of a moot point now. Apparently he somehow got wind that Palestinian prisoners would be released as a condition of his own, and realized that he'd probably go down as "the reason why the terrorists went home."

Either way, the fact that his release was even on the table to begin with appalls me. It seems like no one wants a bilateral peace except for the Americans.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phlegmish posted:

Mostly it's inertia, but even if we decide to drop Israel who in the region that's not Iran (which other Middle-Eastern allies will hate) should be ally with instead? The Saudis pretend to hate Israel but they don't make that much of a fuss about it, the Egyptians have (at least minus the past couple years) been pretty secular about the whole deal, and I don't think Turkey really has that strong of feelings.

Basically there's no real reason to drop support of Israel from a political ally standpoint because the only alternative for the region (Iran) is worse regarding how our other allies feel about them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's not the alliance itself that I find difficult to understand, it's the fact that the US are behaving like the subordinate partner. Just set them straight like the petulant child that they are. Who the hell else are they going to turn to if they don't like it?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Phlegmish posted:

It's not the alliance itself that I find difficult to understand, it's the fact that the US are behaving like the subordinate partner. Just set them straight like the petulant child that they are. Who the hell else are they going to turn to if they don't like it?

Republicans. America's unique relationship with Israel is based almost entirely on the fact that America has a very large, very active pro-Israel political community that will turn on a dime if politicians so much as say "occupied" instead of "disputed."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^It's mad ignorant to say 'republicans', there's a ton of Zionist leftwing factions and many of the Democratic strong supporting Jews fall into that faction.

Pro-Israel lobbies exist on both sides, the only factions without them as fairly large branches of support are the total isolationist types. If those lobbies get upset they're very good at stirring up anger. Many American Jews who are political, even on the far left, have very Complex Feelings About Israel, and for many of us we have very recent memories of family being hurt or put in danger there that clouds judgement. It's not that they'll 'turn to someone else' it's a fear of them being alone and honestly that wouldn't be a good place for them.

There's a good deal of fearmongering in the Zionist movements, where paradoxically Israel must use its massive military might to crush the Arabs and at the same time it's a mewling defenseless faun that will be devoured if left alone. That message, to many Jewish voters, resonates because, ya know, we kinda have a history of getting our poo poo pushed in a lot, so it's really easy to go 'oh right like (insert literally any era of history)' when some dude says unless the US supports Israel 100% and gives them tons of money and weapons they will literally be destroyed by the year end.

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011

illrepute posted:

Republicans. America's unique relationship with Israel is based almost entirely on the fact that America has a very large, very active pro-Israel political community that will turn on a dime if politicians so much as say "occupied" instead of "disputed."
Also, almost all elected Democrats.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Sad Banana posted:

Also, almost all elected Democrats.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

^^^It's mad ignorant to say 'republicans', there's a ton of Zionist leftwing factions and many of the Democratic strong supporting Jews fall into that faction.

Yeah definitely, I just brought up 'Republicans' as the entity that Israel would turn to if the current (Democratic) administration tried to distance itself from Israel.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 2, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
[url] http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/chris-christie-occupied-territories-apology-105169.html [/url]

When you govern a state that is about the same size as Israel + West Bank you must subconsciously realize how ridiculous the situation is.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH0FnRmvEgE
new from vice about Sunday's election in Turkey

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

McDowell posted:

[url] http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/chris-christie-occupied-territories-apology-105169.html [/url]

When you govern a state that is about the same size as Israel + West Bank you must subconsciously realize how ridiculous the situation is.

hahaha, he has to apologize to Israel because he wasn't sucking up like he was supposed to.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Count Roland posted:

hahaha, he has to apologize to Israel because he wasn't sucking up like he was supposed to.

Also all the Israeli organizations, politicians and lobbyists with money that he was appealing to and probably fund the candidates that shill for them.
At the very least I do remember my Political Science classes mentioning some rather highly influential NGOs when it came to Israel in US politics.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nckdictator posted:

How soon we forget George Sr and his weird presidency.

McDowell posted:

Mitt Romney flew to Israel to get endorsed by Benjamin Netanyahu, so there has to be alot of bad blood there.

He did that because it's what you do if you're a Republican. The base eats that poo poo up. Didn't stop him from making an rear end out of himself just like he did in the UK, inspiring some high ranking Israeli officials to say electing Obama would be better for US/Israel relations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

HGH posted:

Also all the Israeli organizations, politicians and lobbyists with money that he was appealing to and probably fund the candidates that shill for them.
At the very least I do remember my Political Science classes mentioning some rather highly influential NGOs when it came to Israel in US politics.

Yes, the real shame is that we in the US have allowed Congress to become so corrupt that it can literally be bought out by agents of foreign governments. I think this is what happened in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth right before it collapsed.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 2, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Sucrose posted:

Yes, the real shame is that we in the US have allowed Congress to become so corrupt that it can literally be bought out by agents of foreign governments. I think this is what happened in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth right before it collapsed.

In the PLC's case, this was particularly disastrous because a single Sejm member could veto the proceedings of a session.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Rogue0071 posted:

In the PLC's case, this was particularly disastrous because a single Sejm member could veto the proceedings of a session.

Well, ok, there was that too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rogue0071 posted:

Oh man, it's funny how much collusion happens between this thread and the Eastern Europe thread now, because I'm seeing why Russia keeps wanting to push this on Ukraine.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

How soon we forget George Sr and his weird presidency.

He did that because it's what you do if you're a Republican. The base eats that poo poo up. Didn't stop him from making an rear end out of himself just like he did in the UK, inspiring some high ranking Israeli officials to say electing Obama would be better for US/Israel relations.

Not really, Netanyahu has more or less openly involved himself with American politics, and on the side of the Republicans every time. He even appointed some Frank Luntz acolyte as the new Israeli ambassador to the US. It would be nice if this sort of unconscionable meddling helped convinced Obama to apply the necessary pressure on the Likud government now that Kerry's negotiations are falling completely to pieces, but he just doesn't seem to care.

Count Roland posted:

Not quite sure where you got that from, all I saw was an article detailing Christie apologizing to Adelson.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 2, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sucrose posted:

It's more to do with congruent world views. If the world view of the white supremacist is that foreigners/blacks/Muslims/whatever are vile parasites on their otherwise pure society, a black nationalist who wants to separate blacks and whites because they think it will protect blacks is bizarrely arguing for the same result as the white nationalist wanting to purge white society of non-whites. Their motives are likely quite different, but have both arrived at the same result; racial separation ideology, and are thus uneasy allies. Same thing with anti-Islam European nationalists and right-wing Israelis; the former may hate Jews in their own countries, but have no problem with and may even like a far-off Jewish state that takes a hard-line against unwanted minorities, because it buys into the same xenophobic, anti-minority ideology that they have. Ultra-nationalists have a vicious alternate ideology revolving around racial and ethnic separation that they'd like to propagate everywhere, not just in their home country, and often do not act with as blind of a hatred as they are assumed to. Instead it's a more calculating hatred. Sometimes.

Anyway, that's why occasional racist ultra-nationalist support of Israel from Europe is not only not ironic, it should be expected.

I just want to say this is extremely well put. The street level fascists here in Copenhagen put up stickers with a picture of a palestinian boy with a slingshot, and the caption "everyone deserves their own nation. Israel out of Palestine, Palestine out of Denmark" :eng99:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've said before that an actual peace process is less likely than another 20 years of settlements which maintains the status quo, punctuated by violence from both sides. Today is a far cry from the 90's when there was basically open war at times between the two sides. I guess at this point the Palestinians are too broken and fractured to mount any real defense to continued settlements and further ghettoization of what's left of Palestinian land.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've said before that an actual peace process is less likely than another 20 years of settlements which maintains the status quo, punctuated by violence from both sides. Today is a far cry from the 90's when there was basically open war at times between the two sides. I guess at this point the Palestinians are too broken and fractured to mount any real defense to continued settlements and further ghettoization of what's left of Palestinian land.

In a way, I'm impressed that Israel is getting away with it. They're total dicks, but you have to admire that sense of organization and ethnic cohesion. It's kind of like how a tiny white minority was able to rule all of Rhodesia.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 2, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's sheer, murderous ruthlessness. Even in the face of complete ostracism (which they are very far from), they will double down with nuclear weapons. There's no stopping that kind of mad fanaticism.

Tias fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 2, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Plus as many have mentioned, the 'liberal' parties in Israel are severely marginalized, and there isn't major debate over Palestine since at this point no one is really opposing Israel's actions in any significant way

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Three bombs went off near Cairo University today, killing one cop and injuring five others. Here's one of them going off just behind a newscaster- about 22 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1xk6mPDFBY

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

suboptimal posted:

Three bombs went off near Cairo University today, killing one cop and injuring five others. Here's one of them going off just behind a newscaster- about 22 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1xk6mPDFBY

Not just any cop, a brigadier general.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Insect Court posted:

Not quite sure where you got that from, all I saw was an article detailing Christie apologizing to Adelson.

quote:

While the story was intended to forge common cause with Adelson and the several hundred donors to the Republican Jewish Coalition to which Christie was speaking, his use of the term “occupied territories” set off murmurs in the crowd.

He was sucking up to get Israeli/Jewish support, but because of his choice of language, had to apologize. I find it funny how servile he is.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Not just any cop, a brigadier general.

Yeah, the guy who was in charge of the Criminal Investigation Department at the Giza Security Directorate. One of the other wounded was the deputy chief of Cairo's Security Directorate. This wasn't pissed-off students throwing pipe bombs into a crowd of cops, this is looking like another assassination by Ansar Beit al-Maqdis.

On a lighter note, this is the Egyptian equivalent of a mic drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRrL6ak7QEE

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

In the war of words between Google and Turkey over YouTube, it appears I'm to play a role

quote:

Google marketing chief attacks 'very sad' YouTube and Twitter ban by Turkey

Yonca Brunini, Google's head of marketing for pan-EMEA, has criticised the Turkish government for banning YouTube and Twitter in a move she has labelled as a "very sad state".
Speaking on the empowering nature of technology at Advertising Week Europe, Turkish-born Brunini said it would not be "just" if she did not address the situation in Turkey when "I’m here giving a speech on freedom of expression and how technology enables that".

Brunini said: "I just want to say I’m hugely disappointed with that [the YouTube and Twitter ban]. I find it ironic when I’m here talking about freedom of expression and how technology is a superpower and that is a very sad state in my country.

"But I’m an optimist, time is on our side, I really wanted to share these stories from emerging markets because they are so striking and less well known."

Brunini detailed a number of projects that used Google products to empower people, including the story of "armchair activist" Eliot Higgins.

Higgins, who goes by the online alias of ‘Brown Moses’, compiled YouTube videos from war-torn Syria to build up evidence that President Bashar al-Assad’s forces had used chemical weapons.

Human Rights Watch has claimed American and French intelligence agencies told it that the evidence collected by Brown Moses from his armchair in Britain was more accurate than their own intelligence.
That last line is news to me.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
That last line is book jacket material.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

JT Jag posted:

That last line is book jacket material.

I'm actually waiting for my agent to get back to me about publishers' responses to my book proposal as we speak, and hopefully I'll get at least one thumbs up as they are a top agency in the US.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

In the war of words between Google and Turkey over YouTube, it appears I'm to play a role

That last line is news to me.

gently caress, man. That's crazy. While you've obviously worked your butt off, doesn't it terrify everyone a little bit that we'd consider starting a war with intelligence that's not as good as a guy watching freely available online videos and using deductive reasoning? Definitely gives a troubling impression of military intelligence as something to base policy decisions on.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Ninja posted:

gently caress, man. That's crazy. While you've obviously worked your butt off, doesn't it terrify everyone a little bit that we'd consider starting a war with intelligence that's not as good as a guy watching freely available online videos and using deductive reasoning? Definitely gives a troubling impression of military intelligence as something to base policy decisions on.

The difference (one difference) is that BM has no institutional pressure to deliver intelligence that strokes the right egos or tilts towards a certain outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SedanChair posted:

The difference (one difference) is that BM has no institutional pressure to deliver intelligence that strokes the right egos or tilts towards a certain outcome.

Brings to mind the CIA written parody of Hunt for the Red October.

• Locked thread