Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

fondue posted:

Wait, Rose is the cat?

No that's the blonde doofus' voice coming out of the phone. God.. this strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

No that's the blonde doofus' voice coming out of the phone. God.. this strip.

Thanks for the clarification, laughing that it was necessary. :)

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Is that supposed to be Woodstock? Why is it blue? :confused:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Valiantman posted:

Is that supposed to be Woodstock? Why is it blue? :confused:

When I first saw it I thought there was about to be a Twitter joke and I was horrified that someone had apparently been giving Peanuts the Gilchrist treatment. I've never been so glad to realize that something was just a colorist mistake.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Tiny Sepuku, in which we learn that crocodiles make for awkward conversationalists.

The Grizzwells, in which we learn that porcupines are frustratingly cynical and willing to fleece the unintelligent.

Big Nate, in which we ponder which other baked goods would not make good team names.

And I have no clue what Robbie and Bobby is, but this showed up on the front page of GoComics, so I had to post it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

My eyes usually skim over Rip Kirby, but I forced myself to make the effort to read it for a week and it's quite good.

Mark Trail, feat. The Clay Camel as some police dude.

Quincy

Buz Sawyer is petulant!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

That is nothing like the correct way to make yorkshire puddings. I haven't noticed one of the recipes which are cheap, or desirable. Still better than Nancy,

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Since it's no longer April Fool's Day, have some Unedited Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Man, some of those dog biscuits are better than human ones. My grandparents have a dog they dote on constantly, so I got them some high-end ones for Christmas. They were coated in carob and came in a little bone-shaped tin. An hour after dinner I see my grandpa sitting in his armchair absently munching on them. I don't remember if I ever did tell him they were supposed to be for Taylor.

Ballard Street

Pretty sure the tee is supposed to be further away from the green, but whatever. At least they're having fun.

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The writer is also completely incapable of giving the audience a reason to emotionally connect with the comic or the characters on any level, so it's a perfect trifecta of incompetence.

I guess I should finally bring this up: Zachary Nixon Johnson is actually based on a series of novels. I read one of them (The Doomsday Brunette) after a friend gave me a copy as a joke. It was actually very enjoyable, if you go in assuming it was written as some sort of self-insert fiction by a high schooler (oh yes, I'm the last detective in space; oh yes, I have super science bracelets that make me stronger than all robots; oh yes, genetically engineered supermodels keep knocking me unconscious and then I wake up naked in their beds). The idea that the author is actually in his fifties, and he's now paying someone to illustrate the whole thing, just makes it very sad.

Also:

Midnight Moth posted:

Didn't Dethany already ask the manifestation of her ancient blog posting from the 90s and determine it was because someone betrayed her trust?

"Dispairing?" The character Fistula Breech refuses to acknowledge the existence of couples and is determined to treat every person as an individual. It is because of travel expenses.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

When I first saw it I thought there was about to be a Twitter joke and I was horrified that someone had apparently been giving Peanuts the Gilchrist treatment. I've never been so glad to realize that something was just a colorist mistake.

http://peanuts.wikia.com/wiki/Birds

"In recent color reprints of Peanuts, the birds that appeared in 1960's strips have been colored blue."

Maybe its not Woodstock?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Sorry for the delay folks, Cul-de-sac and the Creeps will be posted tonight, but I wanted to weigh in on the whole 'dese comix is boring'
Well, yeah, some of them are. Some of them are down-right lovely, but when you compare them to the awfulness of webcomics, then yeah, they're fairly tame in their badness.

After reading Dominic Deegan and Goblins and moon over june and any myriad of other horrid horrid comics, Oh Baby doesn't seem so bad. Don't get me wrong, it's still terrible, but it's not anything but ugly and dumb, not aggressively so.

Don Jamie, keep posting that dumb ugly bullshit, in fact, I'd like to see you post not only those, but Thatababy as well, and maybe something even MORE horrible.
:justpost: remember folks, :justpost:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

All Posters unite in the Comic Posting Club!

And with that I'm all out, and ready to pass the stick to the next goon with time, a scanner, and moomin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I want a Moomin tie.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Endless Mike posted:

I'd be shocked to find a state that doesn't have online renewals for that sort of thing.

Technically it's not a state :v:

But seriously, their boosting of online services has saved me loads of time at the DMV.

Edit: Those ZNJ book titles sure are...uh...something.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 2, 2014

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

PowerBuilder3 posted:

http://peanuts.wikia.com/wiki/Birds

"In recent color reprints of Peanuts, the birds that appeared in 1960's strips have been colored blue."

Maybe its not Woodstock?
That would be my guess as well. I don't know when this particular strip came out, but there was a whole storyline around Woodstock's first arrival:

http://peanuts.wikia.com/wiki/Woodstock

The blue is probably a deliberate visual cue that it's not meant to be Woodstock.

e: (Although, given what the colorists are doing to Iron Man over in the Spider-Man dailies, I may be giving them too much credit.)

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 2, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Green Intern posted:

Technically it's not a state :v:

But seriously, their boosting of online services has saved me loads of time at the DMV.

Edit: Those ZNJ book titles sure are...uh...something.

As a resident of DC, I am well aware of its lack of statehood. :colbert:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

:iiapa:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

That's the end of Knight Errant. Tomorrow starts The Grand Victory.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Esplanade posted:

That would be my guess as well. I don't know when this particular strip came out, but there was a whole storyline around Woodstock's first arrival:

http://peanuts.wikia.com/wiki/Woodstock

The blue is probably a deliberate visual cue that it's not meant to be Woodstock.

e: (Although, given what the colorists are doing to Iron Man over in the Spider-Man dailies, I may be giving them too much credit.)

That's a good theory until you find what they did to what the wiki claims is Woodstock's unnamed first appearance.

And why would they jump to a conclusion like that? Well...

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

I feel like I've been doing nothing but carping lately, so let me say that I am really starting to love this strip. I liked it from the beginning for the art, but the story is a perfect combination of creepiness and charm. Good stuff.

Also, Modesty Blaise still owns bones. :colbert:

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
This Nancy arc where the gag consists of "Other comic strips exist!" annoys me way more than it should. I don't like or care about the strip so I shouldn't really be bothered by it so much, but....

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Digging around on the Creators syndicate website, I found that they publish the old Winnie the Pooh strip. A few samples were posted in a Comic Strip Megathread of days past and it really grabbed me. The most information I can find out about it is "Writer Don Ferguson and artist Richard Moore did a syndicated Winnie the Pooh comic strip that ran from 1978 to 1988." Mr Beeg might know more, but that's probably all you need to know about a syndicated strip of a licensed property.

The art is clean and nice.

There's some good visual humor.

And the characters are all assholes.

I hope you'll welcome this addition :).

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I recall it produced some pretty golden edits last time it was a thread regular, at least.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
9 Junji Lane.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Endless Mike posted:

As a resident of DC, I am well aware of its lack of statehood. :colbert:

As a former resident, I feel your pain.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

9 Junji Lane.

Hurah for 9 Junji lane! :slick:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Awww yisss keep the good stuff comin' kids.
Cul-de-sac Angers the tiny giant!

The CreepsDoesn't want to set the world on fire...

and I'm going to post something personally revolting to me in hopes of getting some good editing and mocking going here.

The Duplex More like the poo-plex, amirite? :haw: :negative:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

CaptainCaveman posted:

This Nancy arc where the gag consists of "Other comic strips exist!" annoys me way more than it should. I don't like or care about the strip so I shouldn't really be bothered by it so much, but....

The fact that it's now in its second week is the worst part. Not enough Boomer icons have been dying, I guess.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Adams really seems to 'get' Bitcoin. It's a natural topic for Dogbert.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

ianvincible posted:

I guess I should finally bring this up: Zachary Nixon Johnson is actually based on a series of novels. I read one of them (The Doomsday Brunette) after a friend gave me a copy as a joke. It was actually very enjoyable, if you go in assuming it was written as some sort of self-insert fiction by a high schooler (oh yes, I'm the last detective in space; oh yes, I have super science bracelets that make me stronger than all robots; oh yes, genetically engineered supermodels keep knocking me unconscious and then I wake up naked in their beds). The idea that the author is actually in his fifties, and he's now paying someone to illustrate the whole thing, just makes it very sad.
That explains a lot, actually.

...and yeah, it makes it very sad.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Aren't references to current pop culture sort of the exact opposite of the Gilchrist treatment?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

This should be a fun trip.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

This should be a fun trip.

This is reading like an episode of Scooby Doo. I hope we get to see some aliens though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Killer robot posted:

Aren't references to current pop culture sort of the exact opposite of the Gilchrist treatment?

Hahaha, I meant more in the sense of "great old comic turned lovely because they refuse to let it die and handed it off to some random guy" but yeah, I suppose you're right.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

We have another real-life cameo happening with fellow cartoonist Scott Shaw.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

More proof that this strip has never been responsible for a high-five from anybody.

Pibgorn

The only thing I can make out in today's strip is that both Pibgorn and that desk are in for their 3000-mile oil changes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ianvincible posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo self-insert fiction indeed John Zakour Nixon :roflolmao:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, why exactly are we supposed to hate Alldid here?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If there's any evidence that it happened because of OH BABY then I missed it, but he did have to stop the strip because he couldn't afford to pay to host it on GoComics since his wife divorced him and he lost his job:

I'm not going to lie: I like OH BABY. Not because it's good, because god knows it's nowhere near it. But it's bad in this perfect, surreal way. Like a dada masterpiece, but played entirely straight. It's fascinating to read precisely because of its specific, utterly bizarre flavor of awful.
The best thing about OH BABY is that you can read the unspoken story beneath it. It's a litany of health and financial issues ending in divorce. The author does not go on to do a comic about raising a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Oh Baby lasted four years, and never got past the cervix. I thought it was an anti-abortion statement, but once you read a few, it's hard to tell.

Aren't all the words new? You know, to a baby?

Would a baby have beliefs? Do they believe in things?

This is flat puzzling. The mom saw a sign, that was about the oh baby, that she had never seen before. I think.

Let's do a Geech. Put on a different hat.

• Locked thread