Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You guys what the gently caress just happened :stare:

e: Also that final scene was amazing. Slade is the biggest troll in television :allears:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rarity posted:

You guys what the gently caress just happened :stare:

This billboard happened.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

What exactly is that revelation supposed to lead to? Seems weird to tell the person who is mostly out of the loop.

She's a DA.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So is Isabel Rochev Ravager? I didn't really get her line about sins of the father.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hi liter posted:

So is Isabel Rochev Ravager? I didn't really get her line about sins of the father.

Ollie's father.

She was on the list.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Not gonna lie, that last scene made me laugh really hard for a few seconds. It was a huge deal, but something about the execution was just hilarious.

Now to consider getting a good Deathstroke screenshot. Seemed like there were some solid opportunities in there...

Me too. I'm imagining him just going around and telling every single person Oliver knows, one by one, that he's the Arrow.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rarity posted:

Slade is the biggest troll in television :allears:

Thread title. Please.

I know it's been said, but holy poo poo Manu Bennett is owning the screen. I was really really surprised that the confrontation with Slade happened so early, but the episode just kept coming and coming and coming.

Isabel taking over QC.
Slade telling Thea about Merlyn (how the gently caress did he know that?!)
Deathstroke hijacking a bus of prisoners.
Lance getting arrested.
Laurel opening the door for Slade.

I remember hearing that episode 20 was originally going to be the Flash pilot and has been converted into some Flash character cameos, so we get an action packed episode next week, a breather episode and probably three hugely stressful episodes until the season ends.

I was glad to see Sebastian finally show up again, though he didn't do much.

Also, apparently I was wrong and Lance is actually the worst cop. How does he actually not know that Oliver is the Arrow? Unless he's humoring both Oliver and Sarah?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Thank God for Manu Bennett because the way Oliver is being written is so loving dumb I'm starting to hate the guy.

Oliver - Mother, you are a lying, scheming destroyer of families and I hate your guts for it. From this day forward, I will do the exact same thing. I still hate you for doing this thing I am now also doing, though. Just so we're clear: you doing this thing made me hate you, okay, and I am also doing it now while keeping the hate engine running because boy, do I loving hate you for doing it.

Thea - You're a lying, scheming destroyer of families and I hate your guts for it.

Oliver - :byodood:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but they actually called it out, so at least it's intentional.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
:stare:
Next week on DEATHSTROKE...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Honestly getting a bashed up Daredevil Born Again and Knightfall vibe from this. Really great episode, love it and of course Old School Green Arrow, when he lost the company and just kind of wandered the country.

It's to bad we will never have a Green Arrow , Green Lantern road trip.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 3, 2014

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That was a fantastically thrilling episode of TV. That's why I love this show!

I was bummed out when Thea turned out to just be told the relatively meaningless father thing but then to have Laurel find out should lead to some interesting drama. Didn't see the Summer Glau twist coming either, that was great. A little sad that Ollie once again hooked up with crazy, but on the other hand, we got some River Tam poo poo up in there.

And once again, Detective/Officer/Prisoner Lance HAS to know Ollie's identity. Sarah's "my boyfriend who I went missing with knows nothing about my crimefighting partner who showed up around the same time as him" was kind of hilarious.

I don't think Slade has a master plan, I think he is just offhandedly coming up with as many ways to psychologically gently caress with Ollie as he can. DFu4ever suggesting the next step was cling film on the toilet was probably not far off. That said, it does look a lot like the show is doing the basic story of the Dark Knight Rises but waaaay better.

EDIT: Oh and "No, I'm going to kill you because you're hurting my friend." was quality. Caity Lotz 4everrrrr.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 3, 2014

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I was just thinking I missed the days when Arrow would just constantly be in overdrive and wouldn't slow down then this episode :stare:

seravid posted:

Thank God for Manu Bennett because the way Oliver is being written is so loving dumb I'm starting to hate the guy.

Oliver - Mother, you are a lying, scheming destroyer of families and I hate your guts for it. From this day forward, I will do the exact same thing. I still hate you for doing this thing I am now also doing, though. Just so we're clear: you doing this thing made me hate you, okay, and I am also doing it now while keeping the hate engine running because boy, do I loving hate you for doing it.

Thea - You're a lying, scheming destroyer of families and I hate your guts for it.

Oliver - :byodood:

It's intentional. Ollie has been loving up constantly and Slade has been making sure it all bites him in the rear end.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Slade: http://gfycat.com/ShockingImpressionableFawn :allears:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Wait, why does Slade have a bandoleer with grenades if he never uses a grenade launcher :confused:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Bad Moon posted:

Wait, why does Slade have a bandoleer with grenades if he never uses a grenade launcher :confused:

He fastballs them at people.

I know it was supposed to be serious but I lost my poo poo at "Hi, Oliver is the Arrow, bye."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Whizbang posted:

He fastballs them at people.

I know it was supposed to be serious but I lost my poo poo at "Hi, Oliver is the Arrow, bye."

A busy schedule* is nothing to laugh at :colbert:

*Of massive, hilarious trolling

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Bad Moon posted:

It's intentional. Ollie has been loving up constantly and Slade has been making sure it all bites him in the rear end.

It's intentional...ly bad? Oliver losing sight of what's right and what's insanely loving wrong isn't the problem, it's how it was done. Turning into his mother is a very hard sell considering his broad shoulders disgust and outrage when he learns the news and, instead of dealing with it (over multiple episodes if need be) and make the transition even remotely sensible, the writers shrugged, skipped the whole thing and went from A straight to B. No explanation, Oliver starts lying because Oliver starts lying because the plot needs it, therefore making the "You sound just like her" line not a poignant wake-up call for a terribly misguided man but an eye-rolling punchline for a terrible joke. It fell so flat it looked like a NY pizza.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's because Oliver isn't a genius and is trying to do this weird thing where he's super overprotective and interfering with everyone because only he "knows whats right".

He's basically on a holy crusade over Tommy's death at this point and not actually changing, he thinks not "killing" people makes him a hero.

Basically he has his head up his own rear end.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Goddamn Manu is loving amazing as Deathstroke. I mean, the entire cast has been really well done for their respective roles, but Manu is loving owning. Really, the whole episode is probably one of the best so far between the acting, twists, and Arrow just beating the poo poo out of a whole warehouse of stuff.

The last scene was kind of bad, but in an unintentional way.

"Oliver Queen is the Arrow."
*casually walks off stage left without another word*

And we still have several episodes to go. Man, it's like running a marathon with this series. You feel loving accomplished by the end of it.

Definitely confused about who Summer is supposed to be, though.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Deakul posted:

I was expecting her to actually utilize the loving peep hole.

This episode was amazing, but seriously. This took me right out of the episode and slightly marred it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Am I the only one who found the secret telling a little underwhelming?

1)You have Slade telling Thea about her true father but how did he even find out in the first place? The only 4/5 people who even knew are Felicity, Merlyn, Moira, Oliver and maybe Diggle.

2)Slade tells Laurel about Oliver being the Arrow. Okay, aside from the standard 'you've been lying to me for the past year!' issue is this really a giant deal? Oliver as the Arrow as saved Laurel's dumb butt multiple times from being turned into a chunk of concrete, being murdered by inmates, being killed by Huntress, and probably 3/4 other incidents that I'm forgetting about. Not to mention the fact that he went out of his way to help and/or save her knowing full well she hated the absolute poo poo out of him as the Arrow for the first half of the second season and calling her out on her alcoholism in the second half. I understand why they're doing it (gotta get rid of one of those Lance sisters somehow) but dang, if Laurel doesn't just go "Eh, Oliver's saved my life 7/8 times by now, let it slide." I'd be disappointed. Especially considering she probably would have gotten kidnapped yet again had Slade felt like it.

Monkeypoop
May 2, 2003

Your One True God
Anyone else think that maybe season 3 could be an adaptation of the "Supermax" Green Arrow movie script from a few years ago (G.A. in a Supermax prison with various DC villains trying to kill him during some riots)? If things keep on, Ollie could very well end up in prison by the end of the season.

from Wikipedia:
David S. Goyer and Justin Marks penned a script for a movie starring Green Arrow originally called Super Max. On June 5, 2008, the film was retitled Green Arrow: Escape from Super Max. The reported storyline stated that the hero (framed for a crime he did not commit) must escape a high security prison filled with A, B and C list villains and rogue superheroes.

Monkeypoop fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 3, 2014

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Party Plane Jones posted:

1)You have Slade telling Thea about her true father but how did he even find out in the first place? The only 4/5 people who even knew are Felicity, Merlyn, Moira, Oliver and maybe Diggle.

Well, we know that Slade has cameras/microphones all over Queen Manor. It's possible Oliver and Moira have discussed it there since he started bugging the place, or that he has surveillance set up elsewhere and overheard enough to get him on the right track. There's also the fact that Moira had Walter pay off that doctor, which brings another potential avenue. Really, if Slade has been planning this whole "destroy everyone Oliver loves" crusade for a few years, it stands to reason that he would have done some extensive digging on Moira, and Moira herself was concerned the information would come out in standard campaign vetting.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I 100% agree. I have no idea how the gently caress Slade pieced that together, unless maybe the political team dug it up? Maybe? Seems like a reach.

quote:

2)Slade tells Laurel about Oliver being the Arrow. Okay, aside from the standard 'you've been lying to me for the past year!' issue is this really a giant deal? Oliver as the Arrow as saved Laurel's dumb butt multiple times from being turned into a chunk of concrete, being murdered by inmates, being killed by Huntress, and probably 3/4 other incidents that I'm forgetting about. Not to mention the fact that he went out of his way to help and/or save her knowing full well she hated the absolute poo poo out of him as the Arrow for the first half of the second season and calling her out on her alcoholism in the second half. I understand why they're doing it (gotta get rid of one of those Lance sisters somehow) but dang, if Laurel doesn't just go "Eh, Oliver's saved my life 7/8 times by now, let it slide." I'd be disappointed. Especially considering she probably would have gotten kidnapped yet again had Slade felt like it.
Considering that the one thing she was made at the Arrow about was Tommy's death and she's gotten over that, I don't know why she'd be mad. She knows the Arrow's been good for the city and has worked with him a lot. If anything, her reaction to that should just be "well, now everything makes sense! I guess the chick is Sarah?"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

All Slade had to do was watch Moira's court case - and quickly deduce that her actions only made sense if she was holding something back. Arrow has its share of goofy moments (Moira's big forgiveness scene with Oliver veered wildly from 'well-written pause' to 'histrionic thesis statements') but I completely buy that Slade could figure that mystery out.

Also, Merlyn is seriously lurking just off-screen: I adore that they've made "guess the episode when Barrowman will pop up" a hilarious guessing game.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I...I think we just got slayed.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Goddamn. I really hope they don't stretch out Laurel trying to decide whether or not to use what hse knows to get her dad off. Arrow isn't the sort of show to stretch anything out, bu the only exception is stuff involving Laurel...

Some Numbers posted:

I 100% agree. I have no idea how the gently caress Slade pieced that together, unless maybe the political team dug it up? Maybe? Seems like a reach.

Considering that the one thing she was made at the Arrow about was Tommy's death and she's gotten over that, I don't know why she'd be mad. She knows the Arrow's been good for the city and has worked with him a lot. If anything, her reaction to that should just be "well, now everything makes sense! I guess the chick is Sarah?"

Were you guys not watching when Officer Lance got arrested and the only thing that can get him off is the identity of the Arrow?

seravid posted:

It's intentional...ly bad? Oliver losing sight of what's right and what's insanely loving wrong isn't the problem, it's how it was done. Turning into his mother is a very hard sell considering his broad shoulders disgust and outrage when he learns the news and, instead of dealing with it (over multiple episodes if need be) and make the transition even remotely sensible, the writers shrugged, skipped the whole thing and went from A straight to B. No explanation, Oliver starts lying because Oliver starts lying because the plot needs it, therefore making the "You sound just like her" line not a poignant wake-up call for a terribly misguided man but an eye-rolling punchline for a terrible joke. It fell so flat it looked like a NY pizza.

Do you really not understand why Oliver wouldn't tell Thea the truth? He was trying to protect her. So was his mom, but it's totally justified for him to be mad at his mom about it, even when he's perpetuating the lie, becuse she started the lie, and oh yeah, it was all because she cheated on her husband with the man she was plotting to destroy the city with.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Also, Merlyn is seriously lurking just off-screen: I adore that they've made "guess the episode when Barrowman will pop up" a hilarious guessing game.

I, too, have been playing this game. At this point, I'm assuming he'll be a last minute surprise to help resolve the Slade plotline during the finale. Actually, between Merlyn, Roy, and Oliver, Thea is a dangerous girl to gently caress with.

I must say, though: I'm enchanted by Slade's villain masterstroke, which seems to involve simply blowing up Ollie's spot. "Hey, Laurel. So, Oliver is the Arrow. Bye!"

"Hello Ms. Smoak. I'm here to tell you the truth...Oliver would totally hit it if he believed you'd be cool, but he doesn't think you'd be cool for a hot loving second. Deathstroke, out!"

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Xealot posted:

"Hello Ms. Smoak. I'm here to tell you the truth...Oliver would totally hit it if he believed you'd be cool, but he doesn't think you'd be cool for a hot loving second. Deathstroke, out!"

lol

I thought this episode and the last few have been lame and I see that I am very much in the minority with that :negative:

E: and i just now got to the end and giggled pretty hard when slade turned away from Laurel and left

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 3, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fetus Tree posted:

lol

I thought this episode and the last few have been lame and I see that I am very much in the minority with that :negative:

Everyone liked the walking around the house episode. Everyone enjoyed the suicide squad episode even tho the ending was super dumb and it didn't move the plot forward. everyone hated the Huntress episode.

Ela
Jan 10, 2011

Merlyn is totally working with Slade.. he's gonna help train those inmates into even bigger killing machines!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm actually really excited to see Merlin show up to protect Thea or something. He's certainly not a swell dude but when it comes to super drugs I'm sure Ollie would take any help he can get. Probably.

I thought the bus scene was kinda lame, though. I don't know, the sword throw looked really dumb.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

omg chael crash posted:

I'm actually really excited to see Merlin show up to protect Thea or something. He's certainly not a swell dude but when it comes to super drugs I'm sure Ollie would take any help he can get. Probably.

Yeah I was kind of hoping that he would show up towards the end when Slade was letting Thea go, but alas.

It's ok though, because instead we got an episode with Slade spitting truth at everyone before dropping the mic and walking off the stage. Manu Bennett is loving killing it :allears:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Deathstroke is the greatest troll. :D

GoDAMN that was a fun loving episode!

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

boom boom boom posted:

Do you really not understand why Oliver wouldn't tell Thea the truth? He was trying to protect her. So was his mom, but it's totally justified for him to be mad at his mom about it, even when he's perpetuating the lie, becuse she started the lie, and oh yeah, it was all because she cheated on her husband with the man she was plotting to destroy the city with.

Also, Oliver is a flaming hypocrite, that's his main character flaw that actually makes him interesting. He means well, and he likes to give other people the "do the right thing" advice, but he personally has a hard time living up to his own ideals.

And that's ok, it makes him a good character, more complicated, and frankly more realistic, since people really are often like that.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Could be a long shot, but they made a point of showing Slade bugging the Queen mansion. He may have worked out the whole Merlyn being Thea's dad through some kind of surveillance like this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hollismason posted:

Honestly getting a bashed up Daredevil Born Again and Knightfall vibe from this. Really great episode, love it and of course Old School Green Arrow, when he lost the company and just kind of wandered the country.

It's to bad we will never have a Green Arrow , Green Lantern road trip.

Have faith...the way things are going GA/GL will be next season. This loving show.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
Episode was great, but I was kinda hoping Merlyn would show up and we'd have a badass villain showdown moment.

Sadly the opportunity seems to have come and gone, unless Slade comes up with another way to troll Ollie via Thea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexal
Oct 18, 2007

It is best to avoid the power of a ninja

imperialparadox posted:

Also, Oliver is a flaming hypocrite, that's his main character flaw that actually makes him interesting. He means well, and he likes to give other people the "do the right thing" advice, but he personally has a hard time living up to his own ideals.

And that's ok, it makes him a good character, more complicated, and frankly more realistic, since people really are often like that.

It also makes him super whiny, annoying and amps up the melodrama for little gain.

• Locked thread