Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Wheany posted:

That Frostbite tweet wasn't very funny coming from an official account. It wasn't friendly ribbing, it was just kicking someone when they are down. And besides, tweeting "your console a poo poo" to one manufacturer is bad policy anyways. If Nintendo manages to pull anothe Wii-like success form their arse in a few years, that tweet (or the attitude it reveals) could bite Dice in the rear end.

I would argue it's even funnier coming from an official account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think it was kinda funny but also a dumb thing to do from a business standpoint, especially when your target is a company run by stodgy, obstinate old men.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Wheany posted:

That Frostbite tweet wasn't very funny coming from an official account. It wasn't friendly ribbing, it was just kicking someone when they are down. And besides, tweeting "your console a poo poo" to one manufacturer is bad policy anyways. If Nintendo manages to pull anothe Wii-like success form their arse in a few years, that tweet (or the attitude it reveals) could bite Dice in the rear end.

I don't think any major potential business deals are going to be hindered by tweets

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The tweet was super funny but was kind of mean from a business partnership point of view. I'm sure there's already some internal bad blood or resentment and the tweet probably didn't help.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Louisgod posted:

The tweet was super funny

Nah

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

No need for others to mock Nintendo when it unknowingly mocks itself; e.g., their UK channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo3DSuk.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

That tweet was really funny and all the nintendo fans getting mad over it being mean made it even funnier.

It was also dumb but being dumb doesn't mean it can't be funny.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I'm not sure Dice even cares about Nintendo even if they somehow pull out another Wii. The last game they directly made for a Nintendo console was Pinball Fantasies for the Super Nintendo. Plus, Dice should be more concerned about making games that aren't crazy buggy. If Battlefront is anything like Battlefield 4 on release there will probably be star wars nerd riots.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Toady posted:

No need for others to mock Nintendo when it unknowingly mocks itself; e.g., their UK channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo3DSuk.

I don't get it.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't get it.

Nintendo__Suk (suck)

midwat
May 6, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

That tweet was really funny and all the nintendo fans getting mad over it being mean made it even funnier.

It was also dumb but being dumb doesn't mean it can't be funny.

Hey! Reggie cried himself to sleep last night because those mean EA kids won't leave him alone.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The retraction from that EA dude was pathetic.
Also pathetic is being afraid of causing 'bad blood' between EA and Nintendo in case Nintendo are one day successful again.
Do you think they'll hold a grudge? The Wii U deserves to be mocked and Nintendo will figure that out one day.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Imagine the zingers that would have come out of @sega if Twitter existed in the 90's.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Blacktoll posted:

You don't think applying a modicum of wit to reply with something funny is a good idea? Who said how they reply would have to be image damning? This isn't Jesus Christ Video Game Company where they have to turn the other cheek.

Nintendo's twitter is always full of wit, it's a shame they didn't reply.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Essentially posting "Ha ha there's no way that piece of poo poo console is worthy of our engine. It's not worth supporting, no one support it." is a defamatory attack on Nintendo's image and isn't okay for another company to publicly express. This only serves as a reminder of how immature the games industry is at this point in history, even at the level of people in charge of representing companies to the public.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Essentially posting "Ha ha there's no way that piece of poo poo console is worthy of our engine. It's not worth supporting, no one support it." is a defamatory attack on Nintendo's image and isn't okay for another company to publicly express. This only serves as a reminder of how immature the games industry is at this point in history, even at the level of people in charge of representing companies to the public.

Companies do this to each other all the time (Sony's constant zingers on the Xbone) and not just in the games industry (just look at the Scroogled campaign of Microsoft, PC vs Mac ads etc.). I think the problem is that gamers (god I hate this term) can't actually take a joke made at their expense because a large percentage of them are whiny crybabies with entitlement issues.

Which actually makes it even funnier.

P.S. It's not defamatory if it's actually true.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

But EA and Nintendo are not in direct competition. Sony has something to gain by successfully jabbing at Microsoft, but EA has nothing to gain by publicly deriding Nintendo. This is not exactly complicated.

You're talking as though there's just some kind of corporate locker room environment where everyone teases and whips towels at everyone else for a good time, which doesn't really represent how calculated campaigns like "Scroogled" and "Nintendon't" actually are.

It's also kind of reaching to attribute the retraction to fanboy outcry when it probably came from the top down. Corporations are pretty strict about the tone and message of their brand outreach.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 3, 2014

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SBJ posted:

just look at the Scroogled campaign of Microsoft

Also a lovely campaign, btw

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I don't know I thought those tweets were funny. I would think they are funny even if I had a Wii U. But I guess I'm not as invested in defending a bad purchase from a bad company (at the moment).

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Something real to talk about: Kindle Fire TV at $99 with optional games controller. Is this pulling the rug out from gaming consoles in general, but especially Ouya? Can Nintendo survive another competitor with cheap hardware and cheap games?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Exioce posted:

Something real to talk about : Kindle Fire TV at $99 with optional games controller. Is this pulling the rug out from gaming consoles in general, but especially Ouya? Can Nintendo survive another competitor with cheap hardware and cheap games?

Depends on whether or not it actually takes off. Last I'd heard, the Ouya wasn't actually selling that well, so one could argue that simply being under 100 dollars does not a successful games console make. On the other, Ouya is naturally more obscure, the kind of thing that, unless you heard of the fuss kicked up back when the kickstarter happened, you're unlikely to learn about except out of the corner of your eye at the local video game store. Kindle Fire TV meanwhile, is from loving Amazon. They can advertise this thing's existence to a ridiculously wide potential audience just by popping a banner unto what is THE online shopping service. But in turn, just because Amazon will try to promote its gaming capabilities and features, doesn't mean the install base will actually bite.

So... yeah, wait and see on this one, especially with regards to potential impacts on more dedicated consoles.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SBJ posted:

I'm not as invested in defending a bad purchase from a bad company (at the moment).

Who's defending their purchase?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Exioce posted:

Something real to talk about : Kindle Fire TV at $99 with optional games controller. Is this pulling the rug out from gaming consoles in general, but especially Ouya? Can Nintendo survive another competitor with cheap hardware and cheap games?

The Kindle Fire is pretty likely to be a fizzle-and-bust. Even if successful it'll probably cornhole any chance the Ouya had but beyond that it isn't offering anything new or unique. It's certainly not going to pull the rug out from the PS4 and the One because the Kindle Fire TV can't offer a remotely comparable experience. Can it play Call of Duty? No? Then Consoles are not in any particular danger.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

SBJ posted:

Companies do this to each other all the time (Sony's constant zingers on the Xbone) and not just in the games industry (just look at the Scroogled campaign of Microsoft, PC vs Mac ads etc.). I think the problem is that gamers (god I hate this term) can't actually take a joke made at their expense because a large percentage of them are whiny crybabies with entitlement issues.

Which actually makes it even funnier.

P.S. It's not defamatory if it's actually true.

I think the Wii U is a terrible console from a dinosaur of a company, not that that makes any difference to what I said. Your name calling doesn't mean anything because this is a straightforward question of proper business conduct. Why do you think DVD extras have a disclaimer in front of actor interviews that point out that the views expressed aren't the views of the studio? Corporations don't want to burn bridges and damage relationships. As was stated, this behaviour can be acceptable between competing firms, not between firms that do business with one another. Comments like these can potentially influence the public's views of companies and their products, and that's why the people who represent them on Twitter can't just operate with the same unprofessional console bashing of Gamestop employees. And Frostbite running on the Wii U is presented as a joke. This is defamation through implication because the engine also works on the comparable PS3 and 360. The implication that the WU could not run it is false.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 3, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

The Kindle Fire is pretty likely to be a fizzle-and-bust. Even if successful it'll probably cornhole any chance the Ouya had but beyond that it isn't offering anything new or unique. It's certainly not going to pull the rug out from the PS4 and the One because the Kindle Fire TV can't offer a remotely comparable experience. Can it play Call of Duty? No? Then Consoles are not in any particular danger.

The Kindle Fire is likely going to be a successful media streaming box, few are going to care about the gaming console functionality. But it could certainly keep some more casual gamers from buying a console like the PS4 or Xbone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

The Kindle Fire is likely going to be a successful media streaming box, few are going to care about the gaming console functionality. But it could certainly keep some more casual gamers from buying a console like the PS4 or Xbone.

There are unarguably some people who are going to buy a Kindle Fire TV as their sole gaming device but nothing I've heard, either in buzz or in anything about the machine's capabilities, suggests that will be a statistically significant number, let alone something that pulls the rug out from under consoles as a whole.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

SBJ posted:

I don't know I thought those tweets were funny. I would think they are funny even if I had a Wii U. But I guess I'm not as invested in defending a bad purchase from a bad company (at the moment).

I literally could not care less about the tweets but calling them funny is being extremely generous. It's poo poo a 13 year old would write.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
To people saying that a third party making fun of a console manufacturers problems and technical shortcomings (a) would sour future endeavours between the two, and (b), is unprecedented and unthinkable in gaming,

Yeah, it fails to explicitly mention the N64 by name, but everyone knew exactly who they were referring to. The N64 was having problems and had a technical shortcoming that was causing it major problems, and Square Enix ran an ad making a swipe at them for it. Seems pretty similar to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

To people saying that a third party making fun of a console manufacturers problems and technical shortcomings (a) would sour future endeavours between the two, and (b), is unprecedented and unthinkable in gaming,

Yeah, it fails to explicitly mention the N64 by name, but everyone knew exactly who they were referring to. The N64 was having problems and had a technical shortcoming that was causing it major problems, and Square Enix ran an ad making a swipe at them for it. Seems pretty similar to me.

It isn't unprecedented and unthinkable but it is often stupid. In the case of Squaresoft there, they didn't actually make another Nintendo game until the Spirits Within almost killed the company and they merged with Enix. During that time frame there were a lot of reports that Squaresoft and Nintendo had pretty bad blood together and it was Big News when Squaresoft went back to making things for Nintendo systems.

It's generally dumb for any company to burn bridges because you don't know what is around the next corner. I know the console wars are hard and bitter and people like to see their 'side' score points, but it's pretty silly for any company to descend to the level of internet posters.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 3, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The jokes were unprofessional which is the only real offence on their part. They weren't the funniest but they were okay, but there's no reason to take any offence to them unless in some crazy circumstance, you work on Wii U software exclusively to make a living, at which point I imagine a big games company dumping on your source of income feels pretty bad. Nintendo fans taking offence at it is possibly a new low in pathetic events in internet history.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't unprecedented and unthinkable but it is often stupid. In the case of Squaresoft there, they didn't actually make another Nintendo game until the Spirits Within almost killed the company and they merged with Enix.During that time frame there were a lot of reports that Squaresoft and Nintendo had pretty bad blood together and it was Big News when Squaresoft went back to making things for Nintendo systems.

While EA is still putting out yearly fifa games on 3DS (and probably some other crap once in a blue moon). Their last game for a Nintendo platform was Fifa 2014 last fall, so it's not exactly ages ago.

I'm not saying it's a meaningful relationship, but it's still a relationship they have no reason to destroy.

Aurain posted:

The jokes were unprofessional which is the only real offence on their part. They weren't the funniest but they were okay, but there's no reason to take any offence to them unless in some crazy circumstance, you work on Wii U software exclusively to make a living, at which point I imagine a big games company dumping on your source of income feels pretty bad. Nintendo fans taking offence at it is possibly a new low in pathetic events in internet history.

Singling out Nintendo fans for this is pretty weird, fanboys for every game consoles/video games get really mad when you tell them something they don't like that doesn't concern them directly. How many MS fans tripped over themselves defending the Xbone's early features? (and some still defend them)

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 3, 2014

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It is an outrage! This tweet shows the moral degradation of our once outstanding video game corporations. It is slander, it is ugly and invites the full wrath of Nintendo as an entity, as well as it should. With as much righteous indignation I ask how can a company like Frostbite dare to utter such lies about Nintendo to whom Frostbite owes everything to. Their actions will cause a bitter fallout which the industry will feel for quite some time. I for one believe that their rank, juvenile behavior is the height of baseness and I won't stand for it.

:goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Fire TV will never be a fizzle and bust because Amazon doesn't care about raw sales numbers, it only cares about trying to get people into their service ecosystem (Prime, videos, music, etc). The fact it has Minecraft might steal a couple potential sales from real consoles, but that's about it. But it is the first "microconsole" that isn't terrible hardware-wise and/or overpriced.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crackbone posted:

The Fire TV will never be a fizzle and bust because Amazon doesn't care about raw sales numbers, it only cares about trying to get people into their service ecosystem (Prime, videos, music, etc). The fact it has Minecraft might steal a couple potential sales from real consoles, but that's about it. But it is the first "microconsole" that isn't terrible hardware-wise and/or overpriced.

Amazon is certainly willing to eat bad sales but the question remains of how much service ecosystem growth this will incur, compared to the cost of manufacturing and development and advertising. We'll see how it pans out but I'll be terribly surprised if it makes a particularly big splash. Regardless, even if it turns out to be a big success, the odds of it eating meaningfully into console sales are pretty slim.

Blacktoll posted:

It is an outrage! This tweet shows the moral degradation of our once outstanding video game corporations. It is slander, it is ugly and invites the full wrath of Nintendo as an entity, as well as it should. With as much righteous indignation I ask how can a company like Frostbite dare to utter such lies about Nintendo to whom Frostbite owes everything to. Their actions will cause a bitter fallout which the industry will feel for quite some time. I for one believe that their rank, juvenile behavior is the height of baseness and I won't stand for it.

I mostly just find it funny that the guys who put out Battlefield 4 in the state they did think they're in a position to throw stones, honestly. v:shobon:v

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ImpAtom posted:

Amazon is certainly willing to eat bad sales but the question remains of how much service ecosystem growth this will incur, compared to the cost of manufacturing and development and advertising. We'll see how it pans out but I'll be terribly surprised if it makes a particularly big splash.

My point was this is a loss leader for Amazon, and I doubt they care about sales numbers. They're going to be watching customer conversions and increased content buys. I'd wager the R&D costs on this were pretty minimal, considering they already had existing hardware and software teams that work on tablets.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Everyone already has a chromecast, roku, gaming console or smart tv or even just an hdmi cable. It's a completely over saturated market with multiple cheaper options. Plus the game stuff you have to buy a $40 accessory any way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crackbone posted:

My point was this is a loss leader for Amazon, and I doubt they care about sales numbers. They're going to be watching customer conversions and increased content buys. I'd wager the R&D costs on this were pretty minimal, considering they already had existing hardware and software teams that work on tablets.

Oh, I agree. I'm just curious to see how much growth potential is there. The Kindle Fire TV would need to be actually growing their market to be a success in that way and I'm not sure how much potential it has to do that.

Regardless, I think we're all on the same page here with regards to its impact as a 'console-killer' though.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Crackbone posted:

But it is the first "microconsole" that isn't terrible hardware-wise and/or overpriced.

It's $140 with the controller, and it's still gaming on Android. For an illustration of 'not terrible' hardware, the exclusive Sev Zero looks like this:

All that aside, it'll live or die as a gaming platform by how much money Amazon dump into exclusive games that work well with the controller, because relying on random Android games making the console worthwhile is a lost cause. As a streaming device it'll probably sell quite well.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Blacktoll posted:

It was a dumb unprofessional tweet and it wasn't that funny. I don't think anyone was particularly angry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
When a samurai speaks ill of their daimyo they invite the full wrath of their lord.

• Locked thread