Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Not at all. Keep the pot ⅓ to ½ way full of oil, fry in batches, don't put in food that's any wetter than it has to be, keep an eye on your temp, and keep a fire extinguisher within arms reach.

Well I know what this weekend has in store. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VERTiG0 posted:

Well I know what this weekend has in store. Thanks!

:btroll::respek::human being:

:flame:

:supaburn:

:iia:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Makes me think of the deep fryer post stored for posterity on the GWS wiki.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Is it unwise to attempt to deep fry things using a 32qt stock pot and an electric coil-top stove? I've got a Thermapen so at least I know I'd be at the right temps. I ask because if this is a stupid and dangerous idea, I won't bother buying the other equipment needed.

You might want to buy a fry/candy thermometer, just because it's easier to keep it clipped to the side of the pan while you watch your temps than it is to keep holding a thermapen in there. You can find them even at the grocery store. I did lots of deep frying on a lovely electric stove and didn't have many issues, but if the oil starts getting too hot you don't want to just turn down the coil, keep the rest of the burners off and open so you can move the pan over for the oil to cool. It will cool too slowly on a still hot coil, and that could burn your food or start to make your oil taste like crap. Of course, all the other "deep fry safety rules" still apply as well.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

therattle posted:

Tell me more.
About fermented pickles? All you're doing it putting cukes in an around 5% brine for a few days at room temperature, then putting them into the fridge until you eat 'em. They'll keep like that for a month or so before getting overpowering---they'll be safe more or less indefinitely, but if you don't do anything else to them, they'll just keep fermenting (albeit more slowly) in the fridge.

What I ended up doing most of the time was keeping a cambro with a 5% brine and nothing else on the counter. Cukes come out of the garden, get scrubbed clean, then into the brine for like 5-7 days. Then make up a new batch of brine with whatever other additional flavours you want the pickles to have, the cukes come out of the plain brine on the counter, go into the flavoured brine in the fridge. Give it about a week then eat 'em. I use a plain brine to start so I can rotate pickles in and out of the brine as I need to depending on how the garden is doing, but still make up different flavours of pickle without having to keep a whole shitload of different containers on the counter. If you're just doing one kind of pickle you can use flavoured brine from the start and they'll pick up the flavour faster.

If you want to keep them in your fallout shelter or something, after they have the flavour you want you can pressure can them to kill off the lactobacilli and stop fermentation. Or I guess pack them in vinegar, but then you're killing a lot of the distinctiveness that fermented pickles have.

There's a pickling thread somewhere, right? I'm pretty sure this poo poo was covered in detail there. Ruhlman talks about pickles some in Charcuterie which you ought to own just on general principles. Ruhlman's brines are pretty unexciting, but it's one of those things that you can just gently caress around with.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

If you want to keep them in your fallout shelter or something, after they have the flavour you want you can pressure can them to kill off the lactobacilli and stop fermentation.

most of what I like about fermented pickles is how crispy and tart they are. doesn't pressure cooking kill this? I don't know, because I've not been successful enough with my fermented pickles to even really enjoy them, much less have enough to can.

dunno what it is about me and fermented pickles, but they get skunkkkyyyyyy. and I brew beer with rarely ever a bad batch, so I'm no stranger to being hygienic as poo poo. dunno.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My dad used to work at a pickle factory for years. When I was a kid I used to roll down the hill in front out of house in a big cardboard barrel of salt or some other ingredient.

He never makes pickles at home on his own, though :(

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

About fermented pickles?

Thanks, this is something I will play with this summer.

Only you would bitch about there being a megathread, and then go ahead and type out a 500 word explanation. :allears:

SubG posted:

Cukes come out of the garden, get scrubbed clean, then into the brine for like 5-7 days.

When fermenting lacto, I'm always afraid to scrub too hard, after all that's where the lacto is. I suppose it's deeply ingrained in the skin, and I'm being silly.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Drifter posted:

:btroll::respek::human being:

:flame:

:supaburn:

:iia:

Oh my god I was making fried chicken one time for my boyfriend and his grandparents, and I tasked his grandmother to making some cheese sauce since I was sure she knew how and I was busy frying chicken in my stock pot on my coil-top stove, which was taking all my attention because chicken is splattery. My boyfriend volunteers to make the cheese sauce, later telling me that he didn't trust his grandma to do it. The first question (OF MANY) that he asks me is "Okay, so a roux is equal parts butter, milk and flour?"

My brain cracked in half. I had to guide him through the process of making a drat cheese sauce while I fried like three batches of chicken.

edit: Microplane protective glove. How do you guys feel?

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 2, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Clavietika posted:

I have one and it only comes out for mandoline duty, I like it much better than using a hand guard. It gets gross and funky so you have to laundry machine wash it each time you use it. Someone suggested covering it with a latex glove so that it doesn't pick up vegetable juices and therefore doesn't get gross, but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Clavietika posted:

As in, is it necessary? I'd use one, if the thing I'm grating was going to ground to nothing/all ground into whatever. If you are grating a small piece of cheese, or a clove of garlic, maybe. (Why do I keep seeing people microplane garlic? What's wrong with mincing/pressing?)

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I don't use a glove, but then I like fingernail shreds in my parmesan.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

As in, is it necessary? I'd use one, if the thing I'm grating was going to ground to nothing/all ground into whatever. If you are grating a small piece of cheese, or a clove of garlic, maybe. (Why do I keep seeing people microplane garlic? What's wrong with mincing/pressing?)

My only guess is they wanna cut the garlic like Paulie:

I was mostly just curious about the glove; I don't have a mandoline and was perusing Amazon when it popped up so I thought to ask for an opinion!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I have a kevlar glove from a job where I was required to wear it. I learned to like it because it allows me to absolutely tear through veg prep. It's amazing how fast you can slice poo poo when you're not worried about skinning your knuckles.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Wroughtirony posted:

I have a kevlar glove from a job where I was required to wear it. I learned to like it because it allows me to absolutely tear through veg prep. It's amazing how fast you can slice poo poo when you're not worried about skinning your knuckles.

I wish I had taken one of the Nella chainmail/mesh gloves from the meat department in a grocery store I worked at in high school. Those things are awesome.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

most of what I like about fermented pickles is how crispy and tart they are. doesn't pressure cooking kill this? I don't know, because I've not been successful enough with my fermented pickles to even really enjoy them, much less have enough to can.
Pressure canning does affect the texture, yeah.

I have no idea how you can not be successful with fermenting pickles. Are you using storebought cukes? They're often buffed or waxed, like pr0k's Mom's minge, so that might be affecting the lactobacilli population. You can just throw a couple cabbage leaves or something like that into the brine to kickstart the process if you're having problems. Ye olde naturally fermented pickle recipes call for adding whey to the brine, but seriously I've never found that to be necessary and I don't think I've ever had a ferment `fail'.

Squashy Nipples posted:

When fermenting lacto, I'm always afraid to scrub too hard, after all that's where the lacto is. I suppose it's deeply ingrained in the skin, and I'm being silly.
The fermentation bacteria are actually present throughout the plant tissue. If you want to be really hardcore you can read all of the technical poo poo that's available on the subject, which seems to suggest that the fermentation process depends on the relationship between the development of the lactobacilli cultures (and specifically L. plantarum) in the brine and the cultures inside the plant tissue. But the punchline seems to be that the bacteria you want for pickling are more or less ominipresent in the environment and they're substantially more tolerant of an acidic environment than other strains that are likely to be present. Since they're eating sugar and making GBS threads acid, the pickle/brine environment will naturally end up dominated by the pickling bacteria, so the `trick' is to get to that point before any other strains have a chance to do any damage (before they get killed off by the acidity anyway).

I usually go with, as I said, about a 5% brine. That's on the low end. You'll see the L. plantarum population increase by about two orders of magnitude (100-fold) in the first 24 hours that way, versus an increase of about one order of magnitude (10-fold) in a 10% brine (which is more common in the literature). So trying a lower salt concentration in the brine might be worth trying if you're having trouble getting fermentation going.

The process I described---plain 5% brine to start then flavoured brine to store/finish---was something I started doing to make it easier to do multiple kinds of pickles. But it might explain why I've consistently had good luck with getting the fermentation going.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How come Claussens are crunchy?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

How come Claussens are crunchy?

They are one of the few (only?) commercially available pickles that are not heated during the pickling process. I imagine this is a more labor and time-intensive process, hence the price premium.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Calcium chloride aka Pickle Crisp edit: plus long low-heat processing.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 2, 2014

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Oh my god you guys this is amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdLkoUap2Ec

Even if you don't know Italian, just enjoy the sound. The lady knows her poo poo, too.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

pr0k posted:

Calcium chloride aka Pickle Crisp edit: plus long low-heat processing.

Why'd you cross that out? I've done the long, low heat processing and it works really well, no calcium chloride needed.

Unless you were just talking about Claussen...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Aluminated salts?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Sjurygg posted:

Even if you don't know Italian, just enjoy the sound. The lady knows her poo poo, too.

Okay, I don't speak Italian, and I am just enjoying the poo poo out of the sound. I would treat this like a podcast.

E: I mean, a podcast I don't understand at all, but would put on while I worked or whatever. She sounds like my nana :3:

E2: I mean, my nana when she was mad but whatever.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 3, 2014

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My friend asks, why must he say he is Italian from Napoli when he is Italian from Milan?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

Pressure canning does affect the texture, yeah.

I have no idea how you can not be successful with fermenting pickles. Are you using storebought cukes? They're often buffed or waxed, like pr0k's Mom's minge, so that might be affecting the lactobacilli population. You can just throw a couple cabbage leaves or something like that into the brine to kickstart the process if you're having problems. Ye olde naturally fermented pickle recipes call for adding whey to the brine, but seriously I've never found that to be necessary and I don't think I've ever had a ferment `fail'.

well, I'm counting like kimchi in my 'fermented pickles' category. I've had 3 kimchi's fail - one was horribly moldy, one didn't really taste like it had fermented at all, and one or two I just got scared of even though it was probably fine. I've only done kimchi maybe 10 or so times, so that's a fairly high failure rate.

I've tried fermented pickles a handful of times too, I think I just have been weirding myself out with those too. one time I had my crock in an outdoor closet (covered by fine cheesecloth and everything) but it had a bunch of dead flies in it when I finally went to eat them. not sure how that happened. another the liquid turned almost slimy and slightly thick, I threw that one out. I guess I've had a couple times that were successes, but not nearly as tart as stuff like half sour pickles or whatever you'd get in a deli.

anyways, I read up a bunch when I was first trying, so I know about the wax problem. I'm only using the knobby unwaxed pickling cukes, so hopefully that isn't a factor. dunno, I'm as stumped as you. bad pickle karma. gonna keep on trying though this spring/summer

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Chemmy posted:

My friend asks, why must he say he is Italian from Napoli when he is Italian from Milan?

Huh, where? I missed that?

drat I love this channel. There's this amazing way grannies have of cooking, there's all this fumbling and spillage and weird stuff (using a pair of scissors on a chicken?) you'd never see in a restaurant kitchen but you still just know it's going to taste amazing just because.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mindphlux e/n - my girl ended up in the ER today after being shoved down a long rear end escalator by a guy fleeing the cops after he tried to make a bunch of fraudulent credit card charges at a hotel. she literally like launched midair horizontally and hit halfway down the escalator and tumbled the rest of the way down. guy trampled over her too as he was trying to get past.

she is a short thin 110 pound bundle of very avoidable very sweet girl too. gently caress assholes, what kind of sack of poo poo cuntbag even does that sort of thing? :(

fortunately, it looks like she will be alright. also, unfortunately for dudeman, he subsequently got tackled by some federal agents who just randomly happened to be in the area. and my wife is a lawyer. <:mad:>

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Wow, that's some heavy poo poo. Glad to hear she's okay.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sjurygg posted:

She's adorable. I wish I had an Italian grandma who would teach me to cook.

Preferably one who can speak English so I could understand her, but still...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sjurygg posted:

Huh, where? I missed that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?Q3iAqxNpQ-A

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

mindphlux e/n - my girl ended up in the ER today after being shoved down a long rear end escalator by a guy fleeing the cops after he tried to make a bunch of fraudulent credit card charges at a hotel. she literally like launched midair horizontally and hit halfway down the escalator and tumbled the rest of the way down. guy trampled over her too as he was trying to get past.

she is a short thin 110 pound bundle of very avoidable very sweet girl too. gently caress assholes, what kind of sack of poo poo cuntbag even does that sort of thing? :(

fortunately, it looks like she will be alright. also, unfortunately for dudeman, he subsequently got tackled by some federal agents who just randomly happened to be in the area. and my wife is a lawyer. <:mad:>

What? That's terrible! I'm glad she'll be okay and I hope they bury that guy under the jail.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mindphlux posted:

I'm sorry to hear that! I hope she's okay :ohdear:

gently caress that guy, piece of poo poo.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Why'd you cross that out? I've done the long, low heat processing and it works really well, no calcium chloride needed.

Unless you were just talking about Claussen...

Yeah he specifically said Claussen. But true, much longer time at 140F (guess) will allow canning of pickles without making 'em mushy.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

When I've made fermented vegetables in the past, I've always been paranoid they grow the bad bacteria (like botulism or something) and then subsequently not eat it. Is there much of a danger of ferments getting the wrong bacteria? I know that's what the salt is there for, but I'm still skeptical of it. I'm considering drilling a hole in the top of a mason jar, putting a grommet on it, and then putting a beer airlock on top. Won't help with botulism since it likes anaerobic environments, but it should help the good bacteria get a good ferment going.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Eeyo posted:

I'm considering drilling a hole in the top of a mason jar, putting a grommet on it, and then putting a beer airlock on top.

Just buy plastic beer buckets? Food safe, and they come with a grommeted port in the lid. This is the only thing I currently use to make sauer kraut, but I don't bother with an airlock or even the lid: I just keep it covered with a dish towel held down with rubber bands (to keep the bugs out).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Humans have been fermenting food since before sanitation existed. You can do it.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

My fiancee and I are planning a wedding, and unfortunately our venue doesn't provide china or silverware, and from random googling we've found that it's actually cheaper to buy utensils in bulk then rent them (25 cents vs 50 cents). Has anyone else done this? Anyone have a good restaurant supply website link?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno, but it would be funny to tell the guests to take the silverware home

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
We considered doing this with china and silverware from ikea but in the end the price to trouble and organization ratio led us to just spend a bit more and have the caterer take care of it all. Planning a wedding is so frustrating, but our food is going to rule and seeing all our friends is pretty cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

My fiancee and I are planning a wedding, and unfortunately our venue doesn't provide china or silverware, and from random googling we've found that it's actually cheaper to buy utensils in bulk then rent them (25 cents vs 50 cents). Has anyone else done this? Anyone have a good restaurant supply website link?

Depending on how many people you're having, I'd still rent it. The rental places here will pick up dirty(but scraped clean) dishes/silverware/tablecloths/napkins and what have you, and wash them for you. Do you really want to have you/your family and friends gathering up tubs of dirty dishes that someone has to take home and wash after your wedding? Plus, what do you do with them afterwards?