Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Soricidus posted:

Programming: "my code will surely be more efficient if i work closer to the metal. what's a good style guide for C++?"

Cooking: "my nutrition will surely be more efficient if i work closer to the soil. what's a good recipe for manure?"

" I'd like to code something that doesn't need a virtual machine or interpreter but not in C."

I do find it odd we have basically two mature options. Rust looks promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

2banks1swap.avi posted:

" I'd like to code something that doesn't need a virtual machine or interpreter but not in C."

I do find it odd we have basically two mature options. Rust looks promising.

fortran

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Lol wow there are Fortran GUI libraries :vince:

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

C, C++, the various assembly languages, Haskell, Pascal, COBOL, Rust, Ada, D, Fortran, Julia, Go, Common Lisp, can all produce native code

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what language doesnt have an llvm compiler these days

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

python?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn632015

http://try.buildwinjs.com/default.aspx#listview

WinJS. It's full of win!

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

:barf:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
accept that javascript is just going to be a part of everything
really it's not that bad. I mean at least it's being actively improved in the right direction

html/css is a decent way of displaying content

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Lol wow there are Fortran GUI libraries :vince:

lol the newest fortran versions (like 2003) are so embarrassing to read about

fortran 90 supremacy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

2banks1swap.avi posted:

this is already probably a premature optimisation though, unless you're working in a resource-constrained environment, or actually writing the vms themselves

starting a normal project in c or c++ is just kinda masturbatory these days frankly, and i say this as someone who likes doing it myself

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MeruFM posted:

really it's not that bad.

yes it is.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the only "not that bad" thing about javascript is you can sorta use better languages that compile to it

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

the only reason they announced this today is because it would be dismissed as an obvious internet rear end in a top hat day joke yesterday

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

this is weird cause its not quite mvvm.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

this is already probably a premature optimisation though, unless you're working in a resource-constrained environment, or actually writing the vms themselves

starting a normal project in c or c++ is just kinda masturbatory these days frankly, and i say this as someone who likes doing it myself

idk GUI apps probably still need to be written in native code because of that whole "embarassing pause" thing

Android really suffers against iOS because it has to run a garbage-collecting VM on a device where memory is tight.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i'm not going to defend android, but gui apps on good computers are fine without native code. i use and maintain several guis written in java and python and they don't suffer from embarrassing pauses.

the only time anyone ever complained about performance, it turned out they were running my java app over remote x11. obviously running it locally fixed everything. gc doesn't even enter the picture as a cause of complaints for normal programs.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Soricidus posted:

i'm not going to defend android, but gui apps on good computers are fine without native code. i use and maintain several guis written in java and python and they don't suffer from embarrassing pauses.

the only time anyone ever complained about performance, it turned out they were running my java app over remote x11. obviously running it locally fixed everything. gc doesn't even enter the picture as a cause of complaints for normal programs.

here is the one weird trick to ui goodness: don't do work on the ui thread

python guis are bad and horrible

java guis are bad and horrible

just fire up an embedded webserver/html host if u must, or use xaml/cocoa

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Can we expect that easy fix to events now shaggar?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk? Im not responsible for c#. if I was thered be checked exceptions and other stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the event pattern changes again in 5.0 cause they've gone thru 3 or 4 official patterns in the last 2 years.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

maybe this mattered once but javascript and lovely web guis have lowered people's expectations so far that they'll think basically any desktop gui is amazingly slick

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Shaggar posted:

idk? Im not responsible for c#. if I was thered be checked exceptions and other stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the event pattern changes again in 5.0 cause they've gone thru 3 or 4 official patterns in the last 2 years.

They open sourced Roslyn

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk who that is

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Shaggar posted:

idk who that is

Roslyn

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

its under an apache license too cool

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 3, 2014

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

that's cool I guess.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Soricidus posted:

maybe this mattered once but javascript and lovely web guis have lowered people's expectations so far that they'll think basically any desktop gui is amazingly slick

web workers goddamnit

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Malcolm XML posted:

python guis are bad and horrible

java guis are bad and horrible

just fire up an embedded webserver/html host if u must, or use xaml/cocoa

desktop and mobile os'es need to have a timer that SIGKILLs the process if the UI thread blocks for more than 16 msec

:hitler:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

but instead desktop and mobile operating systems recognize and work around common forms of heap corruption

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
seriously i know developers love to sperg about ui responsiveness but real world users don't give a gently caress if their program takes a second to react after they click on the "process butts" icon, they probably need a moment to decide what to do next anyway

features first, worry about optimisations like worker threads later

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I love it when Awful.app stalls the UI thread while fetching something from the Internet, it makes for a great end user experience when I realize that I tapped the wrong thing or have already lost interest and I can't swipe backwards

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Soricidus posted:

seriously i know developers love to sperg about ui responsiveness but real world users don't give a gently caress if their program takes a second to react after they click on the "process butts" icon, they probably need a moment to decide what to do next anyway

crowbaring multithreading into something designed to be single-threaded is absolute misery

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

pseudorandom name posted:

I love it when Awful.app stalls the UI thread while fetching something from the Internet, it makes for a great end user experience when I realize that I tapped the wrong thing or have already lost interest and I can't swipe backwards

awful.app is really something awful

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Soricidus posted:

lol

lol

lol

never work on anything ever

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

desktop and mobile os'es need to have a timer that SIGKILLs the process if the UI thread blocks for more than 16 msec

:hitler:

There's an X protocol for that.

This is why X is the superior display technology.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Soricidus posted:

When a user is consistently exposed to latency their brain actually edits out the latency (true story). Their perception of time gets skewed, ever see someone "just check their email" on their phone and stare motionless into it for 30s, this is why.

If you are advocating software that causes brain damage you might as well go the whole hog and just stab people in the eyes with an ice pick.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

yep

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Soricidus posted:

im the billions of cycles it needs 'a moment to decide' in

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Soricidus posted:

one of the most wrongest opinions in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i'm glad it was already called out but i couldn't help myself not :justpost: