Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
I thought that was more Ragnar getting after Bjorn for not following orders to brace and stay on his feet. Not listening created a hole in the shield wall and nearly got Bjorn killed. Ragnar Jr. isn't ready to play one man army just yet.

/history nerd: I do like how they "show not tell" the importance of leadership in the fighting, even if it's just a big dude screaming and wrecking poo poo. It's like in the beach battle when Ragnar and Rollo are in the shield wall giving orders and encouraging others while the Saxon commanders are sitting on horses in the backfield giving orders via golf clap.

Also (going back a ways) I'd think dudes would be lining up to get pillaged by Lagertha. :pervert: Confidence is sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Degenerate Star posted:

So, any speculation on what the gently caress is going on with Athelstan and his new room-mate with all the teeth? Because that was messed up. Points to Athelstan for not running away and shrieking like a littlle girl, though, because that's what I would have done.

I had a long-ish post about this, but my phone ate it.

I don't think Athelstan's hallucinating- if he is, it will never be spoken of in that way. The visions he's getting are meant to be spiritually significant to the character. The blood in the Gospel and the demon thing could go either way, but I think his vision of the Virgin Mary means that he's returning to Christianity. The kiss from the beaten woman is a way of communicating that Christians can be more loving and accepting than he's seen.

Also, I initially thought that his spitting out the Host (which is a big deal that I expect he'll see trouble over) was a rejection, but his later prayer shows that he felt he wasn't worthy of receiving it.

Finally, I think being attacked by demons during prayer is a recurring theme in religious stories. I can only think of two at the moment: Satan's tempting Christ during his 40 days in the wilderness, and (by some accounts) something going after Joseph Smith just before his First Vision. I know there's more.

Either way, I am fairly confident that Athelstan's about to revert to Christianity.

Maksamakkara
Jan 22, 2006
Well I'll be pretty disappointed if Athelstan reverts back to Christ. Anyhow, I have now watched two Tudors episodes and, maybe this is due to my bad flue and fever, but it is qualitywise nowhere near the Vikings. Still going to watch an episode or two before finally ditching it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maksamakkara posted:

Well I'll be pretty disappointed if Athelstan reverts back to Christ. Anyhow, I have now watched two Tudors episodes and, maybe this is due to my bad flue and fever, but it is qualitywise nowhere near the Vikings. Still going to watch an episode or two before finally ditching it.

Tudors is pretty much a parade of awesome breasts to distract you from the dull repetitive nature of the show

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

How long after the current time in the show did Vikings start converting to Christianity?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

How long after the current time in the show did Vikings start converting to Christianity?

A few hundred years roughly which led to the end of the Viking Age and also the beginning of the middle ages.

Basically the main pragmatic driving motivation for conversion was how many christian kingdoms like the Franks decided to go the buffer zone route and
allow the vikings to establish kingdoms in places such as Normandy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I thought Harald Bluetooth was only like 60 years after the show's current date.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Thought my fellow baby goat lovers would enjoy this

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265930/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Not gonna lie the show should win a Emmy award for best supporting goat extras

etalian fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 31, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

life is killing me posted:

oh my god

just in time for this weeks vikings

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://www.wikihow.com/Raise-Goats

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

oh my god

just in time for this weeks vikings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdydwbohCEA

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Maksamakkara posted:

I tried to like Black Sails this way too but all the GoT style sexuality killed it for me. I made it three episodes in before ditching it.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Maksamakkara posted:

I really like the Tudors :( But I guess I can see why it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sash! posted:

I thought Harald Bluetooth was only like 60 years after the show's current date.

Harald Bluetooth was King from 958 AD. The show is around 800 AD.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Maksamakkara posted:

Well I'll be pretty disappointed if Athelstan reverts back to Christ.

I'm more interested in seeing how his conversion back to Christianity happens, than if it does (because the signs have been pretty clear for a few episodes now, even though the crucifixion might have soured him *a bit*), and how that will influence his future dealings with pagans and Ecbert. There's a lot of potential in the character arcs they're setting up this season, but I have the feeling not all of it will be capitalized on.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I hope that they don't limit the show to just England, since Ragnar should totally sail through Russia and hang out with Khan Krum in Bulgaria.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

:stare: That game looks amazing. I thought Farm Simulator was hilarious, this surpasses it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Not sure I liked the last episode except for the continued development of Ecbert. Didn't Ragnar have Athlestan weigh in on his court too?

Wish they'd focus on the historical stuff more than things like Athlestan's hallucinations. My eyes glaze over when GoT goes into the dragon/zombie stuff too.

Rocksicles posted:

What the gently caress has Bjorn been eating these last few years? His old dear needed to marry rich, just to keep up his supply of babay goat burgers.

Seriously, growth spurt much

Same thing happened to me, was 6'1 180lbs by age 13 and have stretch marks from growing too fast. My family is Danish peninsula/alleged viking ancestry.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

leidend posted:

Same thing happened to me, was 6'1 180lbs by age 13 and have stretch marks from growing too fast. My family is Danish peninsula/alleged viking ancestry.

To paraphrase a goon from earlier in the thread:
Puberty hits [some people] like a loving truck.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

nooneofconsequence posted:

Some of them already during the shows current set. If the frankish chronicles can be trusted, several Danish lords either fled to and/or was offered land in the HRE, often settleling in Flanders, near the Rhine. Ribe, one of the oldest danish towns, founded around 700 has a church from around 800. Most likely the nobility, the warrior elite, which you might call the actual vikings where the first to convert. Since it often helped them to get land, riches and a wider network. There are some humourus accounts of Vikings complaining to the Emperor, that they didn't recive the usual fine white shirt when converting, since they had gotten one all the other times they converted. by around 960 Denmark was officially Christian, though it was most likely mainly the elite who had converted.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Equester posted:

Some of them already during the shows current set. If the frankish chronicles can be trusted, several Danish lords either fled to and/or was offered land in the HRE, often settleling in Flanders, near the Rhine. Ribe, one of the oldest danish towns, founded around 700 has a church from around 800. Most likely the nobility, the warrior elite, which you might call the actual vikings where the first to convert. Since it often helped them to get land, riches and a wider network. There are some humourus accounts of Vikings complaining to the Emperor, that they didn't recive the usual fine white shirt when converting, since they had gotten one all the other times they converted. by around 960 Denmark was officially Christian, though it was most likely mainly the elite who had converted.

One of the most notable Viking converts was Guthrum, whose chosen Christian name, incidentally, was thelstan. But I think he converted for real, while many Vikings seem to have "converted," mainly when it suited them so that they could stay alive, or they'd cross their fingers. It was a big joke to some.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Floki has daughters, right? Is Bjorn going to marry one of them? :swoon:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Floki has daughters, right? Is Bjorn going to marry one of them? :swoon:

Would be both scary and awesome to have Floki as a father in law:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

Would be both scary and awesome to have Floki as a father in law:

Best GIF ever hahaha

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I was starting to like Siggy too :smith:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

so do you figure the unsettling seer guy gets all the women he can handle?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Bjorn gonna get a servant lady.

Edit: Jesus Christ, King Crazypants. Hope Ragnar cut's his loving throat soon.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gyges posted:

Bjorn gonna get a servant lady.

Like father like son

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Seriously, King dude is just asking for an axe to the head. I brought my son along. A step beyond the Devil's Three way.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

King Horik likes to watch...

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
..and horik just watches :shepface:

e:f/b

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Drunk Earl gonna get killed here.

Well, if Lagertha doesn't kill some bitches Bjorn's coming back to burn everything to the ground.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Oh I think that was a mistake by jarl whoever that dude is

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So Ragnar wants to destroy Borg, Lagertha has 3 days to handle business before Bjorn goes Grendal on Drunk Earl's great hall, and King Horik is just sinking more and more capital into the enrage the Lothbrok boys account. Is there a Norse equivalent to Never Leave Harlan alive that should be playing?

Edit: Bjorn clearly didn't inherit Ragnar's easy charm.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 4, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bjorn wants some booty :v:

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Bjorn needs to step his game up

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
aha Bjorn you dork..."I like you. Do you like me? Throw the squiggly rune if yes"

You got dudes to stomp anyway.

edit: even Rollo gettin' creeped out

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Jarl Borg is crazy as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, is everyone but Ragnar and Rollo just completely batshit?

• Locked thread