Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I was the most detrimental to him. This doesn't surprise me. As I said this whole time - great talent that doesn't put it on the field. I really don't like him

Yeah, but like... Isaac Newton was the same loving way until a coach came along and recognized that he played better in a zone scheme.

Chichevache posted:

He's intentionally tanking so he can be on a better team, just like Bridgewater. I've heard that can happen in this very thread and it is a very plausible thing. I am gravely serious about this.

Scoff if you want, but the evidence is piling up. :colbert:

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
Apparently Seantrel Henderson felt "dehydrated and sick" which probably means he got sauced last night.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Toymachine posted:

Apparently Seantrel Henderson felt "dehydrated and sick" which probably means he got sauced last night.

That actually sounds like a pretty fair conclusion to make.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Toymachine posted:

Par for the course, get this man on an NFL team stat!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Chilichimp posted:

Par for the course, get this man on an NFL team stat!

Please, that sort of thing never stopped LT from performing.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, but like... Isaac Newton was the same loving way until a coach came along and recognized that he played better in a zone scheme.

He overcame a lot to be the first player drafted 3 centuries after his death.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Please, that sort of thing never stopped LT from performing.

Yea well cocaine is the best hangover remedy.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chichevache posted:

He's intentionally tanking so he can be on a better team, just like Bridgewater. I've heard that can happen in this very thread and it is a very plausible thing. I am gravely serious about this.

Hahaha

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm excited that Kyle Fuller keeps getting a bunch of mid to late 1st round buzz. It'd be great for the Hokies recruiting to get a 2nd 1st rounder in 3 years after only having 3 in the decade prior. Also DBU etc

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Brandin Cooks, on DeSean Jackson:

quote:

"His game is unbelievable," said Cooks. "The man can blow the top off, catch the deep routes, catch the underneath routes, produce in the return game. He’s just special. He’s a freak. I definitely admire his game. Maybe Chip Kelly is looking to take another speedy receiver in that first round, and that could be me. Who knows? And if that’s the case, a lot of people will wonder ‘Can he do it like DeSean Jackson?’ In my opinion, I can do it like him and do it better."

“I feel like I’m the best receiver in this class and I’m not just saying that to say it," said Cooks. "I put up numbers that nobody else did this year. At the same time I was facing premier talent. I have respect for the other guys and give credit where credit is due, but I’m able to blow the top off, I’m able to catch underneath routes and take them the distance, but I see myself right up there with those guys, and in that top 5 conversation, top 3.”

When asked who he compared his game to, Cooks noted Steve Smith (the good one), Antonio Brown, and Jackson. "People want to knock me on my height, and those guys are in the same height category as me and they’re potential hall of famers."

e: I included that last paragraph to make doltos cringe

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I'm excited that Kyle Fuller keeps getting a bunch of mid to late 1st round buzz.

How does he project as a slot corner? He's a guy I've been hoping the Texans grab.

quote:

It'd be great for the Hokies recruiting to get a 2nd 1st rounder in 3 years after only having 3 in the decade prior. Also DBU etc

I think LSU has you guys beat there. :smug: EDIT: As DBU, I mean.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I'm excited that Kyle Fuller keeps getting a bunch of mid to late 1st round buzz. It'd be great for the Hokies recruiting to get a 2nd 1st rounder in 3 years after only having 3 in the decade prior. Also DBU etc

I want the Titans to draft him so he can wear his brother's jersey

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

Brandin Cooks, on DeSean Jackson:

e: I included that last paragraph to make doltos cringe

Yelling TRSS was a way to troll fiz in IRC. The Giants Steve Smith had some bad knee injuries and disappeared, but was a very good route runner while he was healthy.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ozu posted:

This is awesome.

@mortreport
Miami OT Seantrel Henderson didn't help himself today - "quit" his Pro Day workout halfway through it. No explanation yet. Disappointing.

oop

Doltos posted:

The flyer would be a hang glider in a tornado.

I've never been able to figure out what state you're in and what teams you're a fan of because you seem to be all over the place, but I'm assuming you're talking about the Dolphin's o-line. I think the Phins need quick footed OTs first and foremost, and while Seantrel has abnormally quick feet for an OT, he doesn't display that in game. Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan seem right up your alley.

Dolphins, yeah. I'd rather not have Lewan because he's a loving cock but I'll probably just do what I've done with every other rear end in a top hat the Dolphins have picked up: quietly ignore him and apologize every time another team's fans bring him up until he works his way off the team

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

In fairness the Manziel family history is actually full of crime.

johnny football is the white deangelo barksdale.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

bhsman posted:

How does he project as a slot corner? He's a guy I've been hoping the Texans grab.

I think LSU has you guys beat there. :smug: EDIT: As DBU, I mean.

I mean honestly the only draftable talent we generally seem to have is at DB so by numbers sure, but LSU pumps out talent all over. DBs are all we got it feels like. Y'all beat the tar out of us last time we played so I can't really say much to refute that position I suppose.

I'm sure he can play the slot, he's got enough speed to cover the smaller faster guys that seem to be put inside in the NFL, although I think he's better when he's on the outside and able to challenge WRs for the entire route 1 on 1. VT moved him all over and if he's in the slot it puts him closer to run coverage where he excels. Go watch the film of him against GT this past year to see what he can do put into that slot position closer to the snap (although he was playing our whip LB position it's kind of a hybrid role that often has slot coverage responsibilities).

I guess if he makes it out of the first the Texans would be in a position to grab him at the top of the 2nd. Our other corner Antone Exum would be a great snag in one of those middle rounds though, talent wise he's just as good if not better from a pure athleticism position. Once he's 100% healed from a nasty knee injury he could be a very versatile player in some teams secondary.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

erezaka posted:

johnny football is the white deangelo barksdale.

So who does Mike Evans hire to strangle him when they end up on the same team?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Most productive WRs are psyched to play with a QB they're familiar with, particularly ones they put up great numbers with

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I didn't say he'd be happy about it but the game is the game. Johnny just didn't have heart.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I didn't say he'd be happy about it but the game is the game. Johnny just didn't have heart.

...what?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Ehud posted:

...what?

He's referencing Avon Barksdale's decision to kill Stringer for wanting to go legit to keep up the Wire analogy.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Hey guys. Nfl.com has a predict the pick thing so I made a group: http://predictpick.nfl.com/groups/view/1365
Group name: The Farthouse
password: goons

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ehud posted:

...what?

He's making a wire reference but I for one would welcome us talking more like Todd McShay.

I don't like Clowney, he lacks the will of a champion. You can see it how he hits the bags. He just got no will.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rotoworld posted:

According to the Houston Chronicle's John McClain, the Texans will select UCF QB Blake Bortles or Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel.

"I'm still predicting a quarterback, as I have been since the day the 2013 season ended. I believe they'll select Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel," McClain wrote. While Clowney seems like the logical selection at first thought, McClain believes "nothing revitalizes an organization like a quarterback drafted in the first round."
Nothing sinks an organization like a quarterback drafted in the first round either!! Take Clowney

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

John McClain is kind of stubborn and dumb at times, and his opinion poo poo generally rates from meh to terrible. But he does have sources within the organization so he is good for reporting actual news.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Please take Manziel. Please.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Nothing sinks an organization like a quarterback drafted in the first round either!! Take Clowney

Yeah, no. Take a QB Houston :allears:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

lol that guy didn't have anything to say for the entirety of Clowney's Pro Day. Not to say there's no chance Houston takes either of those guys, but McClain loves playing favorites.

Pathetic!!!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

It's an ultra tough decision. Might be the hardest choice for a team in the history of having a #1.

Basically Houston is set at many positions and had an incredible down year due to the play of a single position. That turn around from a playoff team to a 2-14 team doesn't happen often, especially when that 2-14 team has the potential to be a playoff contender again with the right QB. All signs point to them needing to take one, but they also happen to have a generational prospect at a position that is historically extremely tough to get stability at.

I wouldn't want to be in the Texans shoes right now.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Doltos posted:

It's an ultra tough decision. Might be the hardest choice for a team in the history of having a #1.

Basically Houston is set at many positions and had an incredible down year due to the play of a single position. That turn around from a playoff team to a 2-14 team doesn't happen often, especially when that 2-14 team has the potential to be a playoff contender again with the right QB. All signs point to them needing to take one, but they also happen to have a generational prospect at a position that is historically extremely tough to get stability at.

Wouldn't this theoretically be an ideal situation for trading down? When there's a prospect everyone else seems to value more than you might, you trade down. In this case it's not that Houston values Clowney less but that they'd like that QB they could take a few picks later.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Rap posted:

Wouldn't this theoretically be an ideal situation for trading down? When there's a prospect everyone else seems to value more than you might, you trade down. In this case it's not that Houston values Clowney less but that they'd like that QB they could take a few picks later.

When is the last time someone traded out of the #1 overall spot, though? Isn't it very difficult?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

The big thing is that the team is still talented. Watt, Cushing, Swearinger, KJax and J-Jo are a good defensive core, and on offense we're getting Foster back (for better or worse), there's Andre and Nuk at receiver, and guys like Brown, Myers, and Brooks on the offensive line. The only QB worth taking at 1-1 is Teddy, and he's not good enough to pass up the possibility of Watt and Clowney on the same line.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Shath Hole posted:

When is the last time someone traded out of the #1 overall spot, though? Isn't it very difficult?

I'm sure it is, and especially if Houston likes a particular QB prospect, which would mean they wouldn't feel confident trading down more than like 5 or 6 spots. It might be too tricky to pull off, but I wonder if Clowney's high expectations would help them get a good price for the No. 1

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hadn't really come up. In lucks year they could have gotten 4 first round picks from a team in the 20s.

Last year they would have gotten a 5th from a top 5 team

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Hadn't really come up. In lucks year they could have gotten 4 first round picks from a team in the 20s.

Last year they would have gotten a 5th from a top 5 team

Holy gently caress, that would cripple a franchise. 4 or 5 first round selections for a single player? Wow.

I wonder if Atlanta trades up, they are in a great spot to trade up to 1 or 2 without it costing a fuckton. What would it cost to move up to 1 or 2 from 6?

e:

Looks like Atlanta would have to make up ~ 1400 points in value. Their second round pick is worth 520, so we are looking at a couple seconds and a third. I don't like it.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 4, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Shath Hole posted:

2004. It is much easier to do now that the cap figures for rookies have changed. This would be a good year for it with Clowney and the QBs all potentially going #1 and a lot of teams showing interest.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

2004. It is much easier to do now that the cap figures for rookies have changed. This would be a good year for it with Clowney and the QBs all potentially going #1 and a lot of teams showing interest.

Ahhh that was the Rivers for Manning thing, I forgot all about that! It seems so long ago.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
San Diego still picked 1st in 2004. It seems like that type of scenario would be best for Houston though. Draft Clowney and let the first team willing to draft the QB you want trade for him. Even if you miss out you still got a Clowney.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It's not a rule guys. Remember Miami traded up from 12 to 4 with a single 2nd rounder. Chart said they got an extra 2nd rounder in value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Knightmere posted:

San Diego still picked 1st in 2004. It seems like that type of scenario would be best for Houston though. Draft Clowney and let the first team willing to draft the QB you want trade for him. Even if you miss out you still got a Clowney.

Does doing this (trading players as opposed to picks) make any difference on the value chart aspect of draft day trades?

AAA DOLFAN, they moved from 12 to 4 for an additional 2nd rounder??? Who did they fleece?

• Locked thread