Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

NikkolasKing posted:

Ya know, "Someday The Dream Will End" has to be the most perfect song for capturing X's atmosphere. If you could pick one song off the entire soundtrack to summarize "this... this is Final Fantasy X", it would have to be that song.

The fact it's used in Zanarkand was such an absolutely perfect choice.

The fact they stopped using it once you got into the Zanarkand Dome was such an absolutely stupid choice. I'll never get over how things are nice and touching and sad and then you got this bland, vaguely tense music. That song that plays in the Dome is pretty poo poo by comparison so that doesn't help.
I agree wholeheartedly with this post. It's such a great piece of music to me. Every time it plays, I just don't want it to stop. I get disappointed when I continue on and the music changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Note to guy using potions: it's especially hilarious how many of those you'll spam when you can start ripping off O'aka the Twenty Third Merchant Extraordinaire for all the 100 Gil hi-pots he's got.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

TARDISman posted:

Someday The Dream Will End/A Fleeting Dream is far and away my favorite song from FFX as well, especially this version from Symphonic Odysseys.

This....this is amazing! How have I not heard this version before?! :stare:

crestfallen posted:

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. It's such a great piece of music to me. Every time it plays, I just don't want it to stop. I get disappointed when I continue on and the music changes.

Same. I used to just leave my PS2 on in Zanarkand while I was doing other things.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish YouTube had existed 10 years ago for all the :stare: "FFX-2 intro reaction videos".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I don't wish that, because that smiley is an abomination.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Chaotic Flame posted:

This....this is amazing! How have I not heard this version before?! :stare:

The rest of this concert is amazing, they even play stuff from Final Fantasy Legend and King's Knight of all things in it. They also do a beautiful false start for One Winged Angel, doing the intro before cutting over to the Chocobo theme. :allears:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I wish YouTube had existed 10 years ago for all the :stare: "FFX-2 intro reaction videos".

FFX-2's intro movie was a LOT to stomach for...what...14, 15-year-old me? I mean, yeah, it was a different kind of game but...FFX-2 is...really really different.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still like the song, and the shots of Rikku and Paine knocking dudes out are still pretty great.

I just wish all Paine's non-fighter dress sphere outfits didn't look so bad. What is even going on with her Thief outfit.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

NikkolasKing posted:

Ya know, "Someday The Dream Will End" has to be the most perfect song for capturing X's atmosphere. If you could pick one song off the entire soundtrack to summarize "this... this is Final Fantasy X", it would have to be that song.

The fact it's used in Zanarkand was such an absolutely perfect choice.

The fact they stopped using it once you got into the Zanarkand Dome was such an absolutely stupid choice. I'll never get over how things are nice and touching and sad and then you got this bland, vaguely tense music. That song that plays in the Dome is pretty poo poo by comparison so that doesn't help.

Making it play during the battles uninterrupted was an even perfecter choice. Not enough games do this (dynamic soundtracks are awesome too, FTL :allears:)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

precision posted:

I just wish all Paine's non-fighter dress sphere outfits didn't look so bad. What is even going on with her Thief outfit.

You know the difference between Paine and other White Mages?

She makes this look good.

Seriously though, I noticed a sort of pattern. Rikku will always have the skimpiest outfit, Paine the most stylish and Yuna is in-between.

I loved making Rikku a Samurai though because she has that giant absurd katana Auron used to lug around and she actually wields it like a regular person would. She has this whole OOMPH animation just to pick it up, she runs with it all weird and then she just kinda waves it at the enemy like it's a giant 100-pound club instead of a sword.

Bellmaker posted:

Making it play during the battles uninterrupted was an even perfecter choice. Not enough games do this (dynamic soundtracks are awesome too, FTL :allears:)

And there's no Victory poses or Fanfare in Zanarkand too. Another great addition for atmosphere.

precision posted:

If YouTube had existed, the Sphere Theater would be worthless.
Remember that guys? Back when it was actually the greatest thing ever to be able to just listen to your favorite songs in a game or watch the cutscenes at your leisure? With YouTube around now, I almost feel silly when I think about how I used to use my VCR to tape my favorite parts in Final Fantasy IX and other games.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 5, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

You know the difference between Paine and other White Mages?

She makes this look good.

Seriously though, I noticed a sort of pattern. Rikku will always have the skimpiest outfit, Paine the most stylish and Yuna is in-between.

I loved making Rikku a Samurai though because she has that giant absurd katana Auron used to lug around and she actually wields it like a regular person would. She has this whole OOMPH animation just to pick it up, she runs with it all weird and then she just kinda waves it at the enemy like it's a giant 100-pound club instead of a sword.

And there's no Victory poses or Fanfare in Zanarkand too. Another great addition for atmosphere.

If YouTube had existed, the Sphere Theater would be worthless.
Remember that guys? Back when it was actually the greatest thing ever to be able to just listen to your favorite songs in a game or watch the cutscenes at your leisure? With YouTube around now, I almost feel silly when I think about how I used to use my VCR to tape my favorite parts in Final Fantasy IX and other games.

I just made sure I had a save before each cutscene, so I could load up that save to watch it.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't played FFX in 10~ years, and I honestly forgot about this track. My brain always defaults to To Zanarkand whenever I think of the game.

It's so magical. :allears:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

TARDISman posted:

Someday The Dream Will End/A Fleeting Dream is far and away my favorite song from FFX as well, especially this version from Symphonic Odysseys.

It really is the go to song when I think of FFX. That and Suketi Da Ne which is already part of Someday the Dream will End. I kinda makes me think they tried to capture the same feeling in FFXIII with Dust to Dust. It only plays once in the first game and even more sparingly in the sequels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnnZLErJkYY

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the pattern is actually "Paine is always androgynous". Like, her Songstress outfit makes her look like Bowie.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

precision posted:

I think the pattern is actually "Paine is always androgynous". Like, her Songstress outfit makes her look like Bowie.

Her white mage hood is down, too! And as we all know, except for the original white mage, hood up is feminine, and hood down is masculine.

See also: Arc, the pansy crybaby from DS 3, has his hood up, while the other two males in the party have it down.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

precision posted:

So what you're saying is Paine is a Metal Gear character?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

is this a bad thing

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

precision posted:

How does that debunk the theory that Paine is always maximally styled?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Squallege posted:

It really is the go to song when I think of FFX. That and Suketi Da Ne which is already part of Someday the Dream will End. I kinda makes me think they tried to capture the same feeling in FFXIII with Dust to Dust. It only plays once in the first game and even more sparingly in the sequels.

It would seem fitting that Dust to Dust is a spiritual successor to Someday the Dream Will End. Just as Someday is played while exploring the ruined remains of Zanarkand, I'm pretty sure Dust to Dust is played during exploring the remains of Vanille and Fang's village on Pulse.

NikkolasKing posted:

I really thought it was neat how each of the girls had their own take for a lot of the dress spheres. I know for Berserker, they all do a different style of martial art. Man, now I can't wait to start playing X-2 HD.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fronz posted:

is this a bad thing

No Bowie owns.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

No Bowie owns.

correct.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Squallege posted:

That's a really nice song. Pulse might have all but ruined XIII for me but Oerba was well done. Then Robo-Pope showed up for no real reason except to troll you. But hey, if nothing else, he was pretty good at trolling.

Seriously though, the fal'Cie were the Robo-Gods of XIIi but then they weren't really all that great. More like mid-tier Angels made by the Archangels or well I guess they would be the Archangels made by the Seraphim or...you get wher eI'm going with this. How does Caisu fit into this whole power spectrum? Is he way tougher than Bart?

I'm just curious because with XIII-3'S main bad guy being XIII's God and all, I wonder if Caius like matters at all or if he fits into the "logical progression of power."

Is B-God (I cannot remember how to spell his name and don't feel like looking it up) even a good villain? Like, how would you rank the XIII Trilogy Big Bads? Out of Barthandalus, Caius and B-God, which was the best?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

NikkolasKing posted:

That's a really nice song. Pulse might have all but ruined XIII for me but Oerba was well done. Then Robo-Pope showed up for no real reason except to troll you. But hey, if nothing else, he was pretty good at trolling.

Seriously though, the fal'Cie were the Robo-Gods of XIIi but then they weren't really all that great. More like mid-tier Angels made by the Archangels or well I guess they would be the Archangels made by the Seraphim or...you get wher eI'm going with this. How does Caisu fit into this whole power spectrum? Is he way tougher than Bart?

I'm just curious because with XIII-3'S main bad guy being XIII's God and all, I wonder if Caius like matters at all or if he fits into the "logical progression of power."

Is B-God (I cannot remember how to spell his name and don't feel like looking it up) even a good villain? Like, how would you rank the XIII Trilogy Big Bads? Out of Barthandalus, Caius and B-God, which was the best?

Caius is voiced by Liam O'Brian at his absolute hammiest. There is absolutely no competition.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"A YEUL WHO LOVED TO BITCH ABOUT ZERO MAY CRY AND MORRIDOOM. A YEUL WHO HAD A CREEPY OBSESSION WITH SNIFFING GLUE. A YEUL WHO COULDN'T HOLD HER LIQUOR VERY WELL. I HAVE KNOWN THEM ALL. THEY HAVE ALL DIED, RIGHT BEFORE MY VERY EYES."

Yep, Caius/Grimoire Weiss/that mechanic guy from Redline is fantastic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think Caius is probably the only FF villain I have ever seen go from being obsessively goal oriented to just giving the gently caress up and wanting to be left alone. He is without a doubt the best villain in XIII, Liam O Brien helps a lot. Barthandelus is fantastic too just because he's a straight up rear end in a top hat who trolls the group with his god powers and is voiced by Scott Bullock. I unfortunately have not finished LR yet due to my dumb backlog and will be finishing that after Bravely Default, but I cannot imagine how Bhunivelze is going to top either of them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gologle posted:

"A YEUL WHO LOVED TO BITCH ABOUT ZERO MAY CRY AND MORRIDOOM. A YEUL WHO HAD A CREEPY OBSESSION WITH SNIFFING GLUE. A YEUL WHO COULDN'T HOLD HER LIQUOR VERY WELL. I HAVE KNOWN THEM ALL. THEY HAVE ALL DIED, RIGHT BEFORE MY VERY EYES."

"I CANNOT BEAR THIS."

Caius is probably the best of XIII's antagonists, if only because of his interactions with the party, and the aformentioned Liam O'Brien voice.

Space-Pope is forgetable as gently caress, but Robo-Pope is better, because he was just a massive, unrepentant cock to everyone. I've no current opinion on Robo-God, as my console is being borrowed, so FF:FNC:XIII-III:LR, will have to wait a few weeks. From what little I've seen of it, all it does is growl,speak through Hope, and die via "death from birthday present".

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 5, 2014

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Gologle posted:

"A YEUL WHO LOVED TO BITCH ABOUT ZERO MAY CRY AND MORRIDOOM.

This Yeul knows what's up, though I'd rather watch someone attempt the obstacle course than watch the same Zero movie over and over again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Chaotic Flame posted:

This Yeul knows what's up, though I'd rather watch someone attempt the obstacle course than watch the same Zero movie over and over again.

Only good teams are "Literally Just DMC" and "Spider-Man and his Cosmic Friends."

SuperLemons
Oct 25, 2009

Is there some sort of counselling available for victims of this race? :shepicide:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SuperLemons posted:

Is there some sort of counselling available for victims of this race? :shepicide:
Oh just wait until you get 0.00 and it still doesn't count because it has to actually be negative.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

chaosrefined posted:

6 more Tonberries and I've finished the fayth cavern! I've found two in the first 10 minutes and none in the other 50 minutes...

On the off chance that you're still working on this:

SuperLemons
Oct 25, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Oh just wait until you get 0.00 and it still doesn't count because it has to actually be negative.

Thankfully I eventually got it with a second to spare. It really doesn't give it to you for bang on 0.00? That sucks. Good thing I never attempted this back in the day, I doubt child-me would have coped. Adult-me barely did...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gologle posted:

Don't forget Akihiko from Persona 3! :v:

"A SHINJI WHO COULDN'T CONTROL HIS PERSONA. A SHINJI WHO LOVED TO COOK. A SHINJI WHO BEAT THINGS UP WITH A STREET SIGN. I HAVE KNOWN THEM ALL. THEY HAVE ALL DIED GONE INTO A COMA, RIGHT BEFORE MY VERY EYES."

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I really don't understand how anyone can like Caius at all. He's barely a character. They're all barely characters. They're like...simpering anime cliches wrapped up in absurd outfits. It's depressing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A goon who hated anime. Another goon who hated anime. Yet a third goon who hated anime. I have known them all! They have all posted right before my very eyes!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I really don't understand how anyone can like Caius at all. He's barely a character. They're all barely characters. They're like...simpering anime cliches wrapped up in absurd outfits. It's depressing.

Hahahaha look at this guy getting depressed about cliched characters. In Final Fantasy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BottledBodhisvata posted:

simpering anime cliches wrapped up in absurd outfits

So, every Final Fantasy villain character ever, then? :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

precision posted:

So, every Final Fantasy villain character ever, then? :v:

He's not an anime cliche (he's a Western one) and he's not simpering.

Ex-Death too seems like he's pretty different in how cartoonish he is.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kefka is literally the Joker if Batman had been invented in the 17th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

He's not an anime cliche (he's a Western one) and he's not simpering.

Ex-Death too seems like he's pretty different in how cartoonish he is.

Golbez isn't the villain. It's the angry space ghost that killed your (and your Brother Golbez's) dad! Like, nothing cool Golbez does is by his own hand, he's a puppet of overly dramatic space wraith.