Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Dusting off this old thread.

Are any of you other Americans starting the high school season now? We began 2 weeks ago and I have already done about 30 games in that time frame. It's been interesting doing so many games with the dual system and working with a couple of guys who don't have their USSF certification but got their TASO(Texas Association of Sports Officials). Had one guy with that signalling offside and just walking down the field with his flag up instead of stopping. Or another guy who was the center telling his ARs, "don't you dare call a single foul. If you do, I'll finish this game with one AR" while not leaving the center circle once the game started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

High School in Arkansas starts at the end of February. Right now we have Showcase of the South going on, a club tournament for USSF. Girls weekend just wrapped up, boys weekend coming up.

Got my invite to Regionals the other day. Gonna spend a week in Baton Rouge this summer!

Edit: also I am so over duals. I'm refusing any assignments that aren't DSC this season.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I got invited to do high school (I say invited, I'm pretty sure they just sent a blanket e-mail to anyone with 2 years under their belt) but games kick off around 3:30-4pm, so working a normal day pretty much makes me ineligible. It's a shame because I'd love to be able to get the extra matches in, even if it is dual system (as far as I know the "double dual" poo poo sandwich hasn't made its way around here yet).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ayb posted:

Dusting off this old thread.

Are any of you other Americans starting the high school season now? We began 2 weeks ago and I have already done about 30 games in that time frame. It's been interesting doing so many games with the dual system and working with a couple of guys who don't have their USSF certification but got their TASO(Texas Association of Sports Officials). Had one guy with that signalling offside and just walking down the field with his flag up instead of stopping. Or another guy who was the center telling his ARs, "don't you dare call a single foul. If you do, I'll finish this game with one AR" while not leaving the center circle once the game started.

Welcome to high school "officiating". We do high school in the fall in Kentucky, from August to November when the state finals finish. We had decent fall weather for the last three rounds this year at least. Unfortunately do to the terrible terrible way soccer is aligned with the other high school sports most games between the regional round and the finals were pretty lopsided.

Thankfully we only use a dual system for JV matches, and let's be honest, provided you're at all fit that's not going to be too bad. It's annoying, but it's really pretty easy. We use DSC for the varsity games and there are quite a few competitive schools in the Louisville area, so it's usually worth doing some games. Most of the horror stories are getting too old, but we're having trouble keeping the younger referees involved and interested. It leaves the advanced officials a bit overworked, so if you know anyone who wants to officiate in the Louisville, KY area, please send them around to give high school a try.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
I don't mind duels. You both get the money for being a center and you run half as much!

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I love HS soccer and the rules that are clearly on crack. The skill level coupled with hormones can make games wildly unpredictable.

I'm really set on becoming a 7 this year, I just need the actual upgrade class (held only once a year in spring) and an assessment, I've passed the physical, written and # of games. Do any experienced referees have some tips on upgrading?

ayb posted:

I don't mind duels. You both get the money for being a center and you run half as much!

Word.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bio-Hazard posted:

I love HS soccer and the rules that are clearly on crack. The skill level coupled with hormones can make games wildly unpredictable.

I'm really set on becoming a 7 this year, I just need the actual upgrade class (held only once a year in spring) and an assessment, I've passed the physical, written and # of games. Do any experienced referees have some tips on upgrading?

Make sure you have a backup just in case.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ayb posted:

If only that were true in my region then maybe I'd hate them less! (Probably not though. Screws with my sight lines.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bio-Hazard posted:

Double check with your SRA that the requirements haven't changed for this year. There's a lot of adjusting in the requirements going on nationwide at the moment. Aside from that, keep following up on scheduling that assessment. In my area you need to be proactive still to get done what you need done. Every year our Men's Adult Amateur league becomes sort of an assessment mill because it's DI-Adult Amateur and good for assessments all the way through to Grade 5 (Even if most of the games are done by Grade 8s). So maybe there's something in your area that can work like this for you?

GOM
Jan 13, 2001

PWM POTM, September 2013

President & Founding Member of Cardiac Crew (x2)

ayb posted:

I average 4 miles a 80 minute match, according to GPS.

Or I did, until I ruptured a tendon.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

So I'm sure we have all heard the war stories of referees who have decided that enough is enough, they are done with yellow cards, and make a show of putting their yellow card on the sideline to show the players "look, I don't have the yellow card any more, its all red from here on out."

I always just assumed that this was one of those urban myths that gets passed around.

This guy actually did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOClChYSKo

Referee abandons yellow card

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 30, 2014

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Double post and all that but it's been ~3 weeks. Got my new NFHS (high school) rule book in! In case anyone has never seen it, here it is with my copy of the Laws.

Of course, it's way thicker...

120 pages vs 39 pages. Yeesh...

HS Season starts in full swing in Arkansas in ~10 days. I've managed to hurt myself multiple times this winter so thank goodness there is a bunch of 7A vs 4A games early in the season to see where I'm at and work on match fitness. Gotta make sure I'm hitting my stride when conference play starts to keep my invite to Regionals in the summer.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Doing high school game tonight and it's a dual ref system. The other ref shows up 10 minutes after kickoff is supposed to start, doesn't have his socks or a whistle. I loan him mine and we start the game. After the game he spends the 30 minute break shagging balls for one of the teams doing shooting practice then walks around the field juggling. Then at halftime of the varsity game he is on the field taking shooting practice and running all over the place. This is in addition to never signaling throw-ins and barely running.

Do you guys report poo poo like this? I never want to work with this guy again.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004

ayb posted:

Doing high school game tonight and it's a dual ref system. The other ref shows up 10 minutes after kickoff is supposed to start, doesn't have his socks or a whistle. I loan him mine and we start the game. After the game he spends the 30 minute break shagging balls for one of the teams doing shooting practice then walks around the field juggling. Then at halftime of the varsity game he is on the field taking shooting practice and running all over the place. This is in addition to never signaling throw-ins and barely running.

Do you guys report poo poo like this? I never want to work with this guy again.

Yeah, tell your assignor about people like this. Give them plenty of details.

Also keep a blacklist of people and places you will not work. Makes your life a lot easier.

edit: Did you mention anything to him about it? I'd tell him to knock it off first, some people just don't know better.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 1, 2014

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
More high school shenanigans on Friday

Was working a boys varsity game with a female center referee. She's a fantastic referee, been to nationals before and I believe is a grade 5 or 6. The amount of sexist comments from the crowd was pretty sickening. Calling her honey all game, telling her she's got mascara in her eyes or to go back to girls soccer were among some of the comments that I heard. At one point she stopped the game and called over the school's admin. SHe told him the comments towards refs needed to stop. The admin looked at her and said "Well what do you want me to do about it?"

These are parents yelling at the refs, not even high school students. I could look up and see these fat old men yelling this sexist poo poo with their wives sitting right next to them. Unfortunately they get away with it because this is Texas and since these were white parents from one of the richer school districts. I will for sure be declining any games from that district again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ayb posted:

More high school shenanigans on Friday

Was working a boys varsity game with a female center referee. She's a fantastic referee, been to nationals before and I believe is a grade 5 or 6. The amount of sexist comments from the crowd was pretty sickening. Calling her honey all game, telling her she's got mascara in her eyes or to go back to girls soccer were among some of the comments that I heard. At one point she stopped the game and called over the school's admin. SHe told him the comments towards refs needed to stop. The admin looked at her and said "Well what do you want me to do about it?"

These are parents yelling at the refs, not even high school students. I could look up and see these fat old men yelling this sexist poo poo with their wives sitting right next to them. Unfortunately they get away with it because this is Texas and since these were white parents from one of the richer school districts. I will for sure be declining any games from that district again.

Isnt she within her rights to terminate the game and award a forefit to the visiting team due to the parents behaviour? I know in the UK this is a rule thats been brought in to try and stop the ridiculous over the top parents that often ended up fighting on the touchline because they couldnt keep their mouths shut.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Isnt she within her rights to terminate the game and award a forefit to the visiting team due to the parents behaviour? I know in the UK this is a rule thats been brought in to try and stop the ridiculous over the top parents that often ended up fighting on the touchline because they couldnt keep their mouths shut.

I don't know how it works in Texas, but here, I'd suspend the game and tell home game management to clear the stands if they aren't going to stop the sexist comments. Then I'd put in a call to my assignor while it was occurring to let him know what was happening, and that I'd be reporting it to the state high school association as soon as I got home. I'd do the same for racism coming from off the field as well. That sort of bullshit on the field I can deal with super quickly. It being rich white pricks from Texas doesn't excuse any of that behavior. Especially considering NFHS's stance on behavior, respect, and sportsmanship. Sexism and racism has no part in the game. If my assignor wants to rip me a new one for suspending the game and clearing the stands, he can. I'm going to sleep well at night though.

E: I'd have to go dig out my NFHS rule books to confirm the part about a forfeit, but I don't think that part is accurate and would be up to the state association to decide how that works.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Just got finished my first weekend of the new season. Everything hurts and I want to die

But it doesn't matter, because The Football is back :getin:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Lamont Cranston posted:

Just got finished my first weekend of the new season. Everything hurts and I want to die

Ditto, and that's why I only accepted three games. It may have been worse because it went from 70 to 35 degrees overnight. Really happy the season has started though.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

This thing on?

Was nice to do a game today where people (at least seemed to) appreciated having a referee. So many footballers are entitled fucksticks it's not even funny.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Thel posted:

This thing on?

Was nice to do a game today where people (at least seemed to) appreciated having a referee. So many footballers are entitled fucksticks it's not even funny.

This thing is on.

I've encountered that a few times this year already. Players, coaches, and even some youth player parents have all left pleased with my refereeing. At least there have been more that have thanked me than have been yelling on their way away from the field. It's the biggest difference between doing high school and competitive youth games for me. College games, I expect to get some stick as I'm leaving, but the atmosphere is different and the insults are more knowledgeable most of the time.

Compliments only make me want to be a better referee. It's almost like we're human beings.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

This will probably get drowned out in all the WC chat but I remembered a barely interesting story from about a month ago.

I'm a season ticket holder for Sporting Kansas City but I live ~4 hours away from KC. I went up to watch the game against Toronto and noticed that one of the ARs is a high school ref around here. He lives in a bordering state but he works professionally in ours so he does some high school games near his work. I haven't met him personally yet but almost everyone in the area has had the chance to meet him and they talk highly of him so I was excited to watch him work. The next day I came back down to watch our state high school finals and there he was again.

Anyway, that aside, Region III Youth Regionals in Baton Rouge are next week. I'm lucky? enough to be going to enjoy that summer heat. Woo. Is anyone else attending their local regionals? Any R3 campers? Know there are only a handful of us and I don't remember most of the states, but it doesn't seem like there are any others of yall who are in R3 but I'd love to be wrong about that.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

chaoslord posted:

Anyway, that aside, Region III Youth Regionals in Baton Rouge are next week. I'm lucky? enough to be going to enjoy that summer heat. Woo. Is anyone else attending their local regionals? Any R3 campers? Know there are only a handful of us and I don't remember most of the states, but it doesn't seem like there are any others of yall who are in R3 but I'd love to be wrong about that.

Region II here, as I'm in KY. It's in Dayton and so far we're supposed to have decent weather (80s!), but I'm hoping we don't get crushed with humidity. I'm doing the National Development League Showcase for the 13/14s this weekend too (good weather again). As much fun as Regionals sound, I think this weekend will provide the better level of play. Either way, I'm looking forward to working hard and doing my job to the best of my ability.

The closest MLS team is in Columbus, but we've just been awarded the USL Pro Louisville City SC from the Orlando City SC moving to MLS. Hopefully it will raise the level of refereeing in the area as the top end of our list is unfortunately pretty short.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
Getting assessed for my upgrade to 7 on Friday, anything I should know going into it?

Last Thursday during an amateur women's game an off-leash dog from the field next to us ran onto the field and immediately poo poo inside the penalty area. Thank goodness the owner came running with a plastic bag.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bio-Hazard posted:

Getting assessed for my upgrade to 7 on Friday, anything I should know going into it?

Last Thursday during an amateur women's game an off-leash dog from the field next to us ran onto the field and immediately poo poo inside the penalty area. Thank goodness the owner came running with a plastic bag.

Relax and do what you've been doing to get you there. Be professional, and bring your personality with you. But mostly, work hard. (And seriously, have a little fun too.)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bio-Hazard posted:

Dog was clearly just making his feelings about the quality of the game known.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Oh hey, this thread! What Jhet said should be emptyquoted about 1000 times. The biggest mistake I see referees getting assessed make is trying to change their game to please the assessor. Sure, maybe you decide to do a little bit more eye contact with your ARs than normal, or maybe you decide to "man manage" and talk a little bit more, but the more you change your style the more uncomfortable you become. Plus it's basically lying to the assessor. I mean you can fool the assessor and pass but what good does that actually do your development? This is a perfect chance to have someone watch you and let you know things you need to work on so that you become an even better referee. Make sure to let us know how it goes! Good luck and I'm excited for you. I think only like 7% of referees ever make the jump to 7. With the new requirements that number is probably bigger now, but it's still a very small fraction.

To follow up on my post above about Regionals earlier, it went great! Sort of. Six matches in the group stages (which is what everyone who didn't get a U19 center did; those folks only got 5), 1 U13 center since I was a first timer and 5 ARs. Great experience, a lot of good feedback (Kevin Terry Jr, MLS 4th Official, was my mentor), and new friends. I had the day off for the first quarterfinal day and my dad ended up passing away so I had to get back home instead of sticking around for quarterfinal day 2. That was not how I was expecting Regionals to end for me, haha.

I think as I go further I'm going to get on the AR Track. I prefer being in the middle, but I am a much better AR. I'm going to try to have completed my upgrade to 6 by this time next year. Means it'll be a busy year, especially with finishing school and having to start a "big kid job", but it'll be good.

Jhet, how did the National Development League Showcase go?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

chaoslord posted:

I think as I go further I'm going to get on the AR Track. I prefer being in the middle, but I am a much better AR. I'm going to try to have completed my upgrade to 6 by this time next year. Means it'll be a busy year, especially with finishing school and having to start a "big kid job", but it'll be good.

Jhet, how did the National Development League Showcase go?

DA was a lot of fun. The level of play even for U14s was so much higher than anything I've seen younger than college games. The kids at Regionals weren't even close to the level they play at in DA. Not that the kids at Regionals are bad, but in comparison it's night/day in terms of tactics and advanced understanding of the game.

I don't know how much pressure you're put under in your region/state for getting out of the group stage as a referee, but while DA has very high stakes, the institutional pressure is different. It's more about being a professional and less about getting that semifinal or final game. That was probably the best part for me. They really focused on improving our professionalism, understanding, and refereeing, and focused less on the rat race. It was really awesome.

I'm about halfway through the grind for my 6 myself. We don't have very many games a week that qualify for that game count, so it's slow going. The change for 7s is going to be strange in state, as we'll basically have two different levels of 7 going forward. Those that are just doing their thing week in and out, and those that are doing the advanced clinic, the fitness test, and assessments. So while the move up to 7 will be easier and almost automatic for some going forward, it's going to be about the same as you look to become an advanced referee and move onto the State referee level. Granted, it's a 45/45s interval on the fitness, so... not that big of a deal.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

There's not a lot of pressure from anyone here. We know we are a state that doesn't consistently produce good soccer talent and so we will struggle to produce high level referees consistently as well. We had three grade 4s last year but with some fitness test issues and the reworking of 4/5/6 we might have none going forward. The only real pressure for us was to be fit for the weather. From what we were told, we haven't had a referee go down at regionals and they wanted to keep it that way. Past that? Go out there, have fun, learn, and be ready to help the younger referees out when you get back. Of course, one of the referees we took moved to Kentucky a week after getting home, so much for helping the young guys haha. Our state association definitely celebrates with us if we get further assignments but no one views it as a failure if we don't.

I'd kill be to be able to run the 45/45. As a grade 7 in our state's development program, the fitness test I have to run is the 35/40 and 7 seconds on the sprints. Effffff. It's a good thing though. If I can do that in the August heat and humidity, I can probably run forever when October gets here and its tournament time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think we'll have two this coming year. They're the only two that really have the inclination to put in the time and travel that I can tell. I really cannot blame them as until we get that USL Pro team the closest game of that level was in Dayton.

Well, depending on where your young referee has moved to, this neighbor north of your border can help get him connected with the right people. Shoot me a PM if you know the guy at all and want to get him in touch with someone in KY. We have our advanced clinic coming up on Aug 9, so if he'll be here by then he should definitely come. I can hook him up with high school assignors in some areas as well, but registration for that license is going to carry a late fee right now.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I passed my assessment! Grade 7 here I come.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Congrats, that's fantastic. Anything interesting happen in your upgrade match?

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004

chaoslord posted:

Congrats, that's fantastic. Anything interesting happen in your upgrade match?

It was a tournament with shortened halves, but the assessor passed me despite not meeting the time requirements. U-19 Boys on a hot day on turf. One team local, one from Hawaii.

My AR2 didn't arrive until 15 minutes before the game, so we didn't really make a presence until just before kickoff, which was pointed out to me.

I ran my rear end off, 5.5 miles in 70 minutes. Our next U-19 game started 10 minutes after mine ended.

A deserved yellow card for a very late physical tackle inside the center circle.

I didn't have a strong enough voice because I was parched (my fault) and I should have made bigger gestures when giving players a talking-to.

An admittedly easy game all-around. Funny dissent quote of the match: "Yeah, well that's why you're only reffing at this level." (Well, you're the one playing at "this level")

I haven't looked at my official assessment, but I'll do that tonight and reflect on the things I need to work on.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bio-Hazard posted:

An admittedly easy game all-around. Funny dissent quote of the match: "Yeah, well that's why you're only reffing at this level." (Well, you're the one playing at "this level")

Congratulations!

See, at U-19, I can get away with actually saying that back. Mostly because I see anyone playing at college within 2 hours during that season. (Seriously, don't give them stick back unless you've got the presence and humor delivery for it.)

I'm glad you got your pass on the shorter game anyway. That can really suck when you're trying to get everything to line up and it just won't. Hopefully you can now join the rest of us doing the grind to 100 full length youth and adult games. Unless your state has decided to do something different for your state badge, which it very well may have done. Seriously, the requirements are all over the place.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
Your normal U-14 girls tournament game. Team A is up 3-0 halfway through the second half. Team B counters quickly and the attacker is one-on-one with the keeper running straight towards goal.

Team A's goalkeeper slides into the attacker and grabs it with both hands, picking up the ball 3 yards outside her penalty area.

What would YOU do?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Bio-Hazard posted:

Your normal U-14 girls tournament game. Team A is up 3-0 halfway through the second half. Team B counters quickly and the attacker is one-on-one with the keeper running straight towards goal.

Team A's goalkeeper slides into the attacker and grabs it with both hands, picking up the ball 3 yards outside her penalty area.

What would YOU do?

Is this a trick question? Red card for a deliberate handball/DOGSO.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

EvilHawk posted:

Is this a trick question? Red card for a deliberate handball/DOGSO.

It was a trick question, you arent the referee youre just a spectator.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bio-Hazard posted:

What would YOU do?

Does the attacker have clear possession and the keeper takes it off her foot? Because possession at that age group is my first question. If she really does have possession (the distance and direction of play seem obvious), were there other defenders in the area or were they all really behind her at that point? If so, then yes, probably DOGSO-Handling. But without seeing it, I cannot say for certain.

However, if I have the 4-Ds (Direction, Distance to Ball, Distance to Goal, and Defenders (number of)) then there should be no hesitation in sending her off. Even and especially in a U14 Girls game. If we fib the LotG while they're young, they don't learn to know any better when they're older.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004

Jhet posted:

Does the attacker have clear possession and the keeper takes it off her foot?

If we fib the LotG while they're young, they don't learn to know any better when they're older.

Yes, and that was my rationale for giving it. U-14s gotta learn somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

If it were U10s I could understand looking the other way (heck some of the leagues I do won't do cards til U11), but if it's a match where there's cards in play then that's the send off you dream of getting because no one in the world can argue with it. I have yet to have a send off be that clear cut outside of fighting. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've ever had to give DOGSO. Hmmm. Knock on wood.

Jhet, I got in touch with the guy who moved there (he's a Full Adult and not a young guy, state was just hoping to use him to help groom younger folks) and he said he got connected with people and is actually starting high school games soon. I'll probably check in with you in a few months to see if you've worked with him. Small world and all that.

Our state camp came and went and we are moving to the online test, which is cool. And since USSF says they can't require fitness test/assessments for G7 anymore, our state is using a Referee Development program to kind of get around that. No matter what your grade is, if you are in the program you have to pass the 35/40 interval test and get three assessments, 2 center and 1 AR. One of the centers has to be on adult league, the other can be as low as U16 (an assessment on a game with 35 minute halves on a tournament weekend sounds glorious) but could also be adult if you want. The two centers have to be in different leagues. Being part of the program will give you preferential assignments in state, help with big travel tournaments (Disney Showcase/GIT), and fast tracked for upgrade. Theoretically, that means I could have completed all the necessary requirements to be a Grade 6 by next summer, but I'm going to target that as Summer 2016 goal because I'm getting married at the end of this year and I don't know how much time I will really have to devote to this afterwards.

From my own refereeing world, my season just started and I ran three adult lines back to back this weekend and it is waaaaay too hot for that still. Body is very upset with me, haha. But I'm glad to be back doing this. I look forward to sharing war stories and hearing some good ones.

• Locked thread