Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Or he's dead and after a tearful funeral another high school student inspired by Ippo comes into the gym. Then the manga closes out on the evil smile Kamogawa has at finding his next victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Or this has been all a setup for his next manga, which is a shounen funeral director series. I'd read the gently caress out of that.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Or this is going to end like Million Dollar Baby. Kamugawa crying as he pulls Ippo's life support, then drinks his sorrows away in faraway bars forever.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rei_ posted:

Or this has been all a setup for his next manga, which is a shounen funeral director series. I'd read the gently caress out of that.

anime version of 'six feet under'.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm actually wondering if there even is an endgame plan - obviously we're close to the end of any story arc that really makes sense if Ippo takes out the #2 guy in the world, but the whole manga kinda feels like it's spinning its wheels and like Morikawa's finding excuses to not wrap things up.

Edit: Also, raws are up to like 1053, guess translating's going to just take a bit.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 5, 2014

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

I'm actually wondering if there even is an endgame plan - obviously we're close to the end of any story arc that really makes sense if Ippo takes out the #2 guy in the world, but the whole manga kinda feels like it's spinning its wheels and like Morikawa's finding excuses to not wrap things up.

Edit: Also, raws are up to like 1053, guess translating's going to just take a bit.

I had assumed it was going to end with Takamura getting all the belts he wanted but at this rate that will take a very long time. Maybe Ippo takes the belt, fights his friends, changes weight class or something. I was wondering about the same thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flesnolk posted:

the whole manga kinda feels like it's spinning its wheels and like Morikawa's finding excuses to not wrap things up.

Kinda been happening since like, chapter 300.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Bushmaori posted:

I had assumed it was going to end with Takamura getting all the belts he wanted but at this rate that will take a very long time. Maybe Ippo takes the belt, fights his friends, changes weight class or something. I was wondering about the same thing.

I say Ippo wins the belt big celebration and all that, and as he's going to sleep after hours of partying a freak lightning storm hits a Famicom and traps Ippo in a copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Can Ippo fight his way past the likes of King Hippo and Bald Bull to reach the dream match and freedom?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Two new chaps.

Did he really just spend on chapter on Ippo getting back up... Come on. Granted it's hilarious how for someone who has been the champion is acting like a newbie after getting knocked down.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

Two new chaps.

Did he really just spend on chapter on Ippo getting back up... Come on. Granted it's hilarious how for someone who has been the champion is acting like a newbie after getting knocked down.

Trolling is an artform...literally.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Flesnolk posted:

Morikawa seems deadly afraid of getting outside his comfort zone. Which is reflected in everything in Ippo being kinda static. Ippo and Takamura, the world-rankers, still haven't left Japan once, for instance.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well regarding the end of the last chapter, I'm sure there's one thing Ippo can do better than gonzalez: take near fatal beatings and somehow still win.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Monaghan posted:

Well regarding the end of the last chapter, I'm sure there's one thing Ippo can do better than gonzalez: take near fatal beatings and somehow still win.

He can also beat you up without you realizing it, as happened to Woli (which is, by far, the shittiest fight in the whole series, quite the accomplishment).

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Which chapters should I skip if I want to pass over the Woli fight without missing anything relatively important?

Edit: You know, Ippo's often kinda lovely actual boxing skills (except when he suddenly fights like an actual champion!) but ability to make due with monstrous stamina, a skull made of iron and punches that could kill a man with a love tap remind me a bit of Marciano. That feels like sacrilege but just a thought, that there are fighters who've succeeded the way he has without being turned into a vegetable; Marciano-Walcott wouldn't look out of place as an Ippo fight.

Edit edit: To be fair though Mr. 49-0 had some decent defensive skills if you really looked whereas Ippo really does seem to stand there and let himself get punched in the face half the time.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 7, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda wonder why Morikawa hasn't moved Takamura's story along further with all of the stupid gently caress-around pacific champs Ippo was beating up.

I mean, you could make Ippo field a few challengers before fighting Martinez; or *gasp* have him lose to Martinez or Gonzalez once and have to rank up a bit again. Plenty of time to get Takamura/Itagaki caught up. Then if he ever DOES beat Martinez I'd hope they'd have him do a few challengers then to cement his legacy as a world champ or whatever, before he retires with brain damage and ends up running a theme restaurant or boxing horses/kangaroos as a side show.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
The way I figured Ippo's got three fights left, Miyata, r3 v Sendo and Martinez. One of those will be a title fight, one will probably be the belt unification.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

I kinda wonder why Morikawa hasn't moved Takamura's story along further with all of the stupid gently caress-around pacific champs Ippo was beating up.

I think he thinks he has a better sub-story to tell with Itagaki and has focused on him instead. To be fair, if done competently, the story of a cocky genius that gets his poo poo beaten and learns a lesson could be interesting but Takamura's story, even if simple, is much more interesting because he's a much better character.

Also, Itagaki fights Japanese boxers, which Morikawa is obviously more comfortable with. While both Ippo and Takamura fight international stereotypes. Takamura is not yet heavy enough to fight some Klitschko-like slavic terminators so he'll probably go german/english next. Expect some crumpets and tea in that fight.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Takamura is dangerous to write at the moment though. There were some signs of it with the Eagle fight - he had to win (he won't really even have the possibility of losing until the heavyweight fight) and it was difficult to bring back the conditions around the Hawk fight. Really the next few probably won't have the same impact until that final one.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also Mori has kinda written himself into a corner with Takamura since his biggest weakness is his weight management.

As he goes up in weight class he'll just get stronger and have more stamina since he doesn't need to drop the absolutely absurd amount of weight he normally needs to. Yeah, the opponents will get bigger too but well explaining the difference (namely that the punches will be magnitudes more damaging in higher weight classes and that hitting matches in the heavies are a great way to end up punch drunk) effectively might be too difficult for Mori.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Fabricated posted:

As he goes up in weight class he'll just get stronger and have more stamina since he doesn't need to drop the absolutely absurd amount of weight he normally needs to. Yeah, the opponents will get bigger too but well explaining the difference (namely that the punches will be magnitudes more damaging in higher weight classes and that hitting matches in the heavies are a great way to end up punch drunk) effectively might be too difficult for Mori.

Why would it be so difficult? I mean you just explained it yourself in about ten seconds.

Also that's pretty much Ippo's whole deal: he punches really hard and most of his opponents have never dealt with that kind of power (especially earlier in his career). Mori knows how to make that interesting, and it would be really cool to see Takamura in that predicament.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Make Takamura fight Hopkins. An old man who is dirty as gently caress and winds Takamura right up so he loses his temper and goes out of control and messes up for most of the fight

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

Which chapters should I skip if I want to pass over the Woli fight without missing anything

Honestly. Dont skip it. That fight is an experience, the same way watching Cosmo Kramer scream "hes a friend of the family" was an unforgettable experience. It really is so bad its worth reading.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Which chapters should I skip if I want to pass over the Woli fight without missing anything relatively important?

Yeah at that point there isn't much logic in skipping it. It's sort of like watching The Human Centipede and skipping the grossest scene.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Raws for 1053 are out and uh

This whole match is kind of paralleling Volg vs Mike where Mike got knocked out clean cold by an unexpected hit and never really came back from it. But this time it isn't a on-his-last-breath Volg on the other end.

If there is any fight in this series that Ippo might lose, it's this one. He's getting wrecked, bleeding from the whole face and his eye is swollen up. The knockdown got him bad, his legs are pretty much gone and Gonzy is smacking his face in repeatedly without breaking a sweat. But the thing is, we've seen all that before. But, it's not only that. He hasn't landed anything, not even a blocked punch since round 4 started, and he's just showing no signs of progress at all. I can't understand the texts but there's flashes of previous opponents e.g. Woli and it seems unlike previous times where he was remembering things he learned from them, this time it seems more like he's looking back at what he knows and not finding anything that can help him.

He's out of tactics, he keeps dashing in and it's not even close to working. At the end of 1053 he kind of loses his balance for a moment because his legs are giving up, and he's looking extremely sad and downbeat. I can't read the text ofc but, I can't recall seeing that face on Ippo before, he's got the face of someone who's realized he's lost. It looks like he's given up, kind of gives this weak little grin, goes and dashes in to go out punching at least.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 8, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bisse posted:

Raws for 1053 are out and uh

So, basically, he's powering up.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I wish Morikawa could portray Ippo being on the back foot without the fights being one sided smack downs.

Bring back Sendo!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I wish more than like two (?) fights in the series full-stop were written as anything but the two fighters switching whose turn it is to deliver the one-sided smackdown.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

How can he fail with the sage advice of "Just keep doing what you were doing when he wrecked your poo poo"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

If he loving loses this fight this manga will end up being like 4500 chapters long

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

If he loving loses this fight this manga will end up being like 4500 chapters long
Well the alternative is his brain spontaneously samurai-spirit's up a brand new set of brain cells and suddenly Ippo changes his entire one-track gameplan thats taken him through the entirety of the manga.

I dont know I feel like having Ippo lose a fight and be forced to develop would not be a bad move on one end but on the other end it's waaay too late in the manga to do that at this point. I dont know what would be worse, having Ippo win or having Ippo lose. Morikawa's basically forced himself into a corner here. drat it, couldn't he have skipped all the drat fights from Woli and onwards until Volg vs Mike? :smith:

EDIT: I can accept Ippo losing if his next match is with another high-up world ranker where Ippo shows off a new set of tactics that lets him win impressively enough to get a match with #1 right after. It's not too unrealistic and it could be a fairly quick progression.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 8, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bisse posted:

EDIT: I can accept Ippo losing if his next match is with another high-up world ranker where Ippo shows off a new set of tactics that lets him win impressively enough to get a match with #1 right after. It's not too unrealistic and it could be a fairly quick progression.

On the other hand Mori is incapable of "quick". I would indeed just love to see Ippo losing, then a 1-2 years skip to a fight were he's kicking rear end by being a better boxer. But that chances of something like that happening are zero.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Bisse posted:

I dont know I feel like having Ippo lose a fight and be forced to develop would not be a bad move on one end but on the other end it's waaay too late in the manga to do that at this point.

Didn't he do exactly that with the Date fight and then decide to not do anything interesting with it?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

There are subtle things with Ippos development, one of the was mentioned recently (he has um.. gotten better at getting hit in the face so he doesn't fall anymore) and the whole "return to basics" thing instead of relying on the dempsey roll, but the fact that its drawn out over HUNDREDS of chapters with no direct attention called and the increments being so insanely small it doesn't feel right

If he had the guts to do a timeskip the manga could be so much better but that'll never happen

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The whole thing is still the stock "The old ways are still totally awesome guys!" traditionalist fan wank so Ippo is never going to actually change anything about his fighting style.

Unless Mori has had a late onset of cynicism.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Even during the war arc, wasn't part of the whole thing with Ralph that all the toughness and fighting spirit in the world don't help that much against actually knowing how to box? That's why Nekota was doing so well while Kamogawa got the poo poo kicked out of him until he landed a couple lucky punches.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

That's why Nekota was doing so well while Kamogawa got the poo poo kicked out of him until he landed a couple lucky punches.
Oh you mean like a certain other boxer

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah the argument falls apart a bit when you consider that describes literally all but three of Ippo's fights. But Ralph was a world-class welterweight before WW2 started so maybe Alfredo fits a similar niche for Ippo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There is a new chapter in the usual places and Ippo has finally learned to... do exactly the same poo poo he always does, that's the way to victory because it is the invincible path.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I'm starting to suspect that mori has never seen an actual boxing match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I'm pretty sure he owns a boxing gym, and I really hope he dispenses some of his wisdom to amateurs.