Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

quote:

The unofficial reason that Qatar alighted upon PSG lies in the already close links between the two countries and a much-discussed lunch between the then French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, Uefa's president Michel Platini and Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, who has since succeeded his father, Hamad, as the Qatar's emir.

Platini has admitted that Sarkozy wanted the Qataris to buy PSG and secure his vote – and with it his influence in the looming World Cup vote over other members of the European bloc – but denies he was influenced by him. The Uefa president's son, Laurent, was subsequently offered the job as chief executive of Burrda, the QSI-owned sports clothing company, which Platini Snr says is completely unconnected to him voting for Qatar.

Sarkozy later became a passionate advocate of the Qatar World Cup and was one of the first to lobby for the football calendar to be changed to allow it to take place in winter rather than the searing summer heat.

"I totally swear that giving my son a job and having my president as a paid lackey had nothing to do with my otherwise completely inexplicable decision."

from: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/03/psg-world-cup-football-tv-rights-qatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Can we just get the guy who wrote The Pentagon Wars to do a 2-hour HBO drama about FIFA.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Bacon of the Sea posted:

I've heard anecdotally that there's been a couple of people with near zero sports experience from the UAE who've been enrolled on SFA coaching courses, which were favoured over FA ones because they bloodied Mourinho.

Literally can't wait until Man City or similar replace their manager with a 28yo son of an Emir and all the bullshit that follows.

Or they could just copy Gaddafi and have their kids put into the team

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

How the gently caress are so many of the people still in position of power?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Because they keep creating the positions of power and they buy all the votes to keep them there

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ewar Woowar posted:

Because Tajikistan and England have equal voting power on who is the next president of FIFA.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Byolante posted:

Because Tajikistan and England have equal voting power on who is the next president of FIFA.

Agreed, voting power should be proportional to population so Bangladesh have three times the voting power of England.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Mash posted:

Agreed, voting power should be proportional to population so Bangladesh have three times the voting power of England.

Just use the FIFA rankings

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I would say that Europe should have the most votes, South America the 2nd, Asia the 3rd, Africa the 4th and North America last but they're all as corrupt as each other. Its just cheaper to bribe the smaller nations than say, the Italian FA.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

serious gaylord posted:

I would say that Europe should have the most votes, South America the 2nd, Asia the 3rd, Africa the 4th and North America last but they're all as corrupt as each other. Its just cheaper to bribe the smaller nations than say, the Italian FA.

Doesn't Oceania get a pity vote? :(

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

You get to play a 2 legged knockout tie against South America's 5th place for a shot at a vote!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah, even if Europe had more votes that would just mean we'd have Platini's particular brand of corruption rather than Jack Warner's, who really epitomized the 'round up 70 micronations to make a FIFA voting block' style.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
What happened to that guy from ages ago who said he was going for the top fifa job and actually looked like he was good for the role? Has blatter murdered him?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

What happened to that guy from ages ago who said he was going for the top fifa job and actually looked like he was good for the role? Has blatter murdered him?

He never had a chance once Sepp started openly musing about possibly running again.

He might as well just appoint himself President-for-life at this point instead of promising, every election, that it will be his last one and then just running again anyway.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kurtofan posted:

Just use the FIFA rankings

I'm not sure giving American Samoa 197 votes is a good idea.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

stickyfngrdboy posted:

iirc he was banned for life. something to do with him being corrupt.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Peanut President posted:

Why not? They are truly impartial.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Maybe their shouldn't be an election and FIFA should be run like the business it is?

Or let the fans vote

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CareyB posted:

Or let the fans vote
New FIFA President: Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CareyB posted:

Maybe their shouldn't be an election and FIFA should be run like the business it is?

Or let the fans vote

Danny Dyers Most Dangerous Cup Knockout Competitions

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Peanut President posted:

Surely a country with an official third gender will be able to understand neutrality and impartiality

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

Surely a country with an official third gender will be able to understand neutrality and impartiality
Well if we're looking for neutrality why don't we just give like 135 votes to Switzerland?

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Mercaptopropyl posted:

iirc he was banned for life. something to do with him being corrupt.

no, that was bin hammam. he might be thinking of champagne, if ages ago is months ago.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Dempsey

Shortly after Oceania were awarded a far easier route into the world cup...

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

Why do you assume the third gender is neutral?

Seems kinda sexist.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Jerome Champagne, he announced he would run for FIFA president in january this year and the election is next year. He's still around.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jerome Champagne's name reminded me that there is a man named Tokyo Sexwale and I did a lol irl

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I can't believe that was only in January it feels like a lot longer, to me.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Carroll goes down like a sack of poo poo every time he is touched. Motherfucker, you are 6'4

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Carroll goes down like a sack of poo poo every time he is touched. Motherfucker, you are 6'4

More disgraceful politicking from whoever.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
10-year-old daughter of World Cup official had £2m put into account

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/refs-miked-up-for-hyundai-a-league-finals/89841

FIFA sec gen sent a letter saying DO NOT loving DO THIS because fifa are cunts

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

You really should have quoted the best part

quote:

The money transfer to Mr Teixeira’s daughter, whose account is registered in Rio, is thought to have been made by Sandro Rosell. Mr Teixeira has had a long-standing relationship involving a number of reported business deals with Mr Rosell, who was previously head of Nike Brazil and until early this year was President of Barcelona Football Club.

The payment from Mr Rosell to Antonia was made on June 22 2011, when she was 10 years old. Sources close to the football club said they did not know about the payment. In December 2010, the Catalan club agreed a sponsorship deal with the Qatar Foundation, which developed into a three-year corporate sponsorship with Qatar Airways.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jose posted:

You really should have quoted the best part

Suddenly the Neymar transfer makes more sense.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

didn't realize he had connections to nike Brazil at all

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

Més Que un Taste

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

So Qatar is cancelling four of the dozen stadiums they planned on building. Must be nice to be able to change their plans once the bid is secure!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-20/qatar-cuts-number-of-world-cup-soccer-stadiums-amid-rising-costs.html

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Suppose it makes sense when you have a country of 2,000,000 people and a projected stadium capacity of 600,000.

Maybe some of the slaves working the construction will get a break

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I'm being extorted by my employer and forced to work against my will lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

esperantinc posted:

So Qatar is cancelling four of the dozen stadiums they planned on building. Must be nice to be able to change their plans once the bid is secure!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-20/qatar-cuts-number-of-world-cup-soccer-stadiums-amid-rising-costs.html

Good to see that the Qatari World Cup continues to drift as far away from what their actual bid promised as much as humanly possible. We're still on the floating air conditioners though, right?