Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

MeramJert posted:

Pro tip, that's not just how it is in China. They're saying you're crazy for expecting them to pay a contractor 66 RMB per hour. The reason they don't have anyone local lined up is because local graphic designers probably won't accept the kinds of bitch wages they think they can get away with paying you.

I take back the lol :colbert:

Like I said I still have the files and talking to you guys made me realise I shouldn't accept a jiao under ¥1,500. I'll post them up later in the LAN thread. Yes they bought me dinner a few times but, I end up bored and not enjoying the meal. Thanks meramniceguy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Luckily I've not given them the files yet. I think you and blinkey are right, they're going to try shaft me and my girlfriend will justify it as "this is just how it is here" which I already know to be utter bullshit.

I'm so sick of hearing "that's just how it is here" as in the uk all I heard was "in china you can do/get/etc". "That's just how it is" is the most loving unmotivating thing to hear regarding doing work and wanting to get paid.

The other part of the grid locking is unfortunately I don't really care for these people and they are unfortunately the closest thing I can describe as friends due to the frequency I see them. But I don't relate to them, can't really converse with them and am often bored as nails around them but, they get me out the house. Which is why I'd rather start up a friendship with a potential huge rear end stoner than hang around them.

EDIT: oh god I wish I could hug fearcotton and blinkey at the same time right now. You guys are too helpful to me! (And blood nose too...I guess :v:)

When I first came to China to work I was recently engaged (but Blinky was still in the US, so I was sad) alone (so no reliving happy student days in the Wu) and poor (first real person job). My Chinese also sucked donkey meat, and all my coworkers wanted to do was go to KTV in the evenings. Conveniently I lived behind a KTV building in a shady as hell apartment, with a neighbor who frequently got drunk and pissed in my hallway.

So I started tutoring on the side for money, and went to Chinese classes. And as my Chinese got better I made friends with a random dude at a coffee shop, and his boyfriend, and then all of their friends. And I went to punk shows by myself because the Internet is a beautiful thing. So I got more friends.

I mean my apartment was still poo poo and I was still poor(ish) and my Chinese was still laughable, but I no longer called Blinky crying because things were so haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard, man.

It gets better, dude, is what I'm saying. But you have to be smart about it--keep money for a ticket home + a few months worth of (for you, UK) life expenses so the ax of "this is the only thing I can do to live!" isn't hanging over your head. Keep yourself healthy. Tell your GF what is okay, and isn't okay, for you--talk to her! Also, get out of the apartment on your own.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Facepalm Ranger posted:

She took the job because she's friends with the head and wants to build a career out of it. Which is fine by me.

This whole gf company thing has got me gridlocked as she hangs out with them afterwork all the time. When I mention ¥1500 as Payment (which is nothing for design work, good or bad) I get guilted with "oh but he's bought you dinner so many times (I don't eat much at these dinners). He let you borrow the play station (which I've already done work for in the past as thanks, gf in a heated argument about this has threatened to give it back). When I suggest hiring a Chinese employee they can under pay she dismisses it saying they haven't got anyone lined up.

She's sleeping with the boss.

But if she's not, she's putting her job above your relationship and that seems pretty lovely. Why don't you sever and find someone new?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

FearCotton posted:

When I first came to China to work I was recently engaged (but Blinky was still in the US, so I was sad) alone (so no reliving happy student days in the Wu) and poor (first real person job). My Chinese also sucked donkey meat, and all my coworkers wanted to do was go to KTV in the evenings. Conveniently I lived behind a KTV building in a shady as hell apartment, with a neighbor who frequently got drunk and pissed in my hallway.

So I started tutoring on the side for money, and went to Chinese classes. And as my Chinese got better I made friends with a random dude at a coffee shop, and his boyfriend, and then all of their friends. And I went to punk shows by myself because the Internet is a beautiful thing. So I got more friends.

I mean my apartment was still poo poo and I was still poor(ish) and my Chinese was still laughable, but I no longer called Blinky crying because things were so haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard, man.

It gets better, dude, is what I'm saying. But you have to be smart about it--keep money for a ticket home + a few months worth of (for you, UK) life expenses so the ax of "this is the only thing I can do to live!" isn't hanging over your head. Keep yourself healthy. Tell your GF what is okay, and isn't okay, for you--talk to her! Also, get out of the apartment on your own.

The Chinese classes I take are okay. Thankfully after looking miserable for two days then not turning up for two more, two of them we chatted me to ask if I was okay (I wasn't but we won't tell them that) :unsmith:

I want to go to punk shows! :gonk:

I think I need to go out and do stuff by myself, instead of waiting for gf to come home most nights. As most people don't go out till 10 my gf is in wind down mood by then and she'd probably be pissed if I left at 9 without her especially when she gets back from work at 7:30-8pm most days.

I got my back up plan for if all this china thing goes wrong. Currently waiting for the gf at a cafe which I'll also find out how much I maybe paid.

I'm going to look into that tutoring thing and those sites jimmy suggested. So it's not illegal for me to post flyers at Starbucks offering to tutor people? That's my greatest concern.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I'm going to look into that tutoring thing and those sites jimmy suggested. So it's not illegal for me to post flyers at Starbucks offering to tutor people? That's my greatest concern.

Well you're here on a student visa. So yes.

This is China, you're fine.

But again, NO ONE GETS YOUR PASSPORT. OR YOUR ADDRESS. You are facepalm ranger, just another ESL dude in the wind. Hell, call yourself Whitey McGringo. Just get paid in cash.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Aero737 posted:

She's sleeping with the boss.

But if she's not, she's putting her job above your relationship and that seems pretty lovely. Why don't you sever and find someone new?

She's not sleeping with the boss.

She did put the work way above me previously. When I first declined (due to the low amount and uncertainty of the pay) she broke out in tears saying I didn't support her all whilst we were having lunch with her mother.

I only finally agreed after believe I would be paid 100¥ an hour and some other terrible reason I shouldn't have agreed for. It took a month to get to this point and they went back on everything that was agreed.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

She did put the work way above me previously. When I first declined (due to the low amount and uncertainty of the pay) she broke out in tears saying I didn't support her all whilst we were having lunch with her mother.

I only finally agreed after believe I would be paid 100¥ an hour and some other terrible reason I shouldn't have agreed for. It took a month to get to this point and they went back on everything that was agreed.

Let me just complete the E/Ning of this topic: SEVER.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Ahahahaha, so gf has arrived back from the 3 and a half hour unpaid company meeting she goes to every Saturday. This meeting in particular was going to discuss how much I should be paid, the co-ceo assured me.

Surprise! It didn't happen, I'm not going to remind them until they ask for the pieces and won't give the files to them until I feel cold hard cash in my left hand.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Ugh this post makes me want a beer :smith:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Ahahahaha, so gf has arrived back from the 3 and a half hour unpaid company meeting she goes to every Saturday. This meeting in particular was going to discuss how much I should be paid, the co-ceo assured me.

Surprise! It didn't happen, I'm not going to remind them until they ask for the pieces and won't give the files to them until I feel cold hard cash in my left hand.

This post is much better :cheers:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

Ugh this post makes me want a beer :smith:

I might start making a habit of flying out alone in the middle of the week to booze it up with y'all.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Where can you find flights for under ¥30?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wait til TWM comes back he is a blast and a half on karaoke nights and when Dzeko is playing for Man City :swoon:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

MeramJert posted:

Where can you find flights for under ¥30?

My mind :v:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goldboilermark posted:

Wait til TWM comes back he is a blast and a half on karaoke nights and when Dzeko is playing for Man City :swoon:

Why does TWM like Dzeko?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Oh goodness me.

FPR be honest with me now. Before coming to China. Did you read the OP?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

GuestBob posted:

Oh goodness me.

FPR be honest with me now. Before coming to China. Did you read the OP?

I did but, that was after the romantic gesture of coming here to stay with my girlfriend.

I also didn't have much going on for me in the uk either.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

End the relationship, get on a plane to the uk.

You're not in a normal relationship, and unless this woman is the woman to have all your babies, you should pick up all the warning signs and call it a day.

Or you know sell your labor for 11rmb an hour to her boss, and skateboard in the rain with miniature figurines.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

MeramJert posted:

Why does TWM like Dzeko?

I'm a dirty Kebab (Ja sam pravi Bosanać)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Well I'm American so I like Jozy

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Facepalm Ranger posted:

so gf has arrived back from the 3 and a half hour unpaid company meeting she goes to every Saturday.

You're making me really nervous here...

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

BCR posted:

End the relationship, get on a plane to the uk.

You're not in a normal relationship, and unless this woman is the woman to have all your babies, you should pick up all the warning signs and call it a day.

Or you know sell your labor for 11rmb an hour to her boss, and skateboard in the rain with miniature figurines.

No no no, this is FPR we're talking about. He'll just continue doing bitchwork for his gf's boss while the boss attempts to gently caress his gf at every opportunity, eventually leading to the day when FPR is at home making a toy Gundam do a sick skateboard trick and his GF will tearfully admit to polishing the boss' knob and blaming FPR for it because he didn't support her and he will, I absolutely assure you, wonder "Why didn't I see this coming?"

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

blinkyzero posted:

Also this guy is almost definitely loving you over and you should, of course, QYJ, as you know.

He is absolutely loving me over, but I'm not sure it's intentional - it's a public school, so it doesn't actually benefit him. Unless he just pocketed it, of course, but honestly given how piss-poor the bookkeeping here is I'm sure there are simpler ways for him to embezzle.

So yeah, I think he is just misremembering, but that's not exactly a huge comfort to me.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

New Coke posted:

...it's a public school, so it doesn't actually benefit him. Unless he just pocketed it, of course, but honestly given how piss-poor the bookkeeping here is I'm sure there are simpler ways for him to embezzle...

No, no, this is still the easiest way.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

GuestBob posted:

Truth. It's concerning not so much that he forgot to pay you--Jesus, China, get your act together that this is "normal"*--it's that he's fighting you when you have documentation to the contrary. Print off your bank statements--if you have ICBC or BOC they have the option to pull up all your deposits--and let him know this is a deal breaker for you.

*we get paid by direct deposit, but once about a year ago everybody only got paid like 6.95rmb because the accountant made a mistake. Obviously everyone noticed--Chinese and foreigner alike--and blew up her phone, and by the next day it was fixed, but seriously HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

GuestBob posted:

Yeah, sadly stealing from foreign employees removes a lot of difficulties from the act.

It could well be that he isn't fleecing you on purpose, but yeah, that's hardly comforting.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

FearCotton posted:

Truth. It's concerning not so much that he forgot to pay you--Jesus, China, get your act together that this is "normal"*--it's that he's fighting you when you have documentation to the contrary. Print off your bank statements--if you have ICBC or BOC they have the option to pull up all your deposits--and let him know this is a deal breaker for you.

*we get paid by direct deposit, but once about a year ago everybody only got paid like 6.95rmb because the accountant made a mistake. Obviously everyone noticed--Chinese and foreigner alike--and blew up her phone, and by the next day it was fixed, but seriously HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN.

I think the real question is "How does anything happen in China," because the longer I'm here, and the more I hear Chinese people from all walks complain about everything, I have no idea

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Once you get to a certain level in the pyramid it is your right to have your finger in the pie and if you don't have your finger in the pie then you'll get outflanked by everyone else who has their finger in the pie and your staff will get pissy because everyone else is getting to lick the tasty pie-fingers but they get nothing because your finger is dry.

As a small person, of course, you must insist on your right to lick the finger. Being denied finger lickings is simply offensive. But wherever possible you should support your boss in his efforts to wiggle his finger (or perhaps even "fingers") once he has them in the pie, because the saucier his fingers are, the saucier your lickings will be.

If, if, you you have the China chops to make it to the table in the first place.

If not, then you are forever destined to sit with your thumb up your bum.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 5, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

GuestBob posted:

As a small person, of course, you must insist on your right to lick the finger. Being denied finger lickings is simply offensive. But wherever possible you should support your boss in his efforts to wiggle his finger (or perhaps even "fingers") once he has them in the pie, because the saucier his fingers are, the saucier your lickings will be.

Kentucky Fried China: Finger Lickin' Good

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

simplefish posted:

Kentucky Fried China: Finger Lickin' Good

drat it! Beat me to it.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FearCotton posted:

Unfortunately, it's not really rock solid proof - my own records I could obviously have written any way I liked, and I could have just not deposited my pay that month (although I'm sure that this isn't the case). I intend to talk with my principal and my supervisor, all at the same time, plus one of the English teachers to translate cause my still-fairly-lovely Chinese makes these arguments annoying and kind of a liability. However, I don't know if I want to mention quitting. For one thing, I only have three months left on my contract, and I think they know that I'm not planning on returning, so although covering all of my classes would be a drag, it's not really the best leverage. More to the point, they still have my airfare. According to my contract, they should give me that next month, and if I'm going to quit, I'm going to do it after I get that -- if I play this card now, I'm concerned they'll probably hold onto it forever.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Forget principle, just make sure you come out ahead of the alternative (which might not be the same as coming out ahead of the way things should be, or ahead of the ideal situation)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Monkey Fury posted:

I think the real question is "How does anything happen in China," because the longer I'm here, and the more I hear Chinese people from all walks complain about everything, I have no idea

Inertia is the greatest force in the universe, at least regarding asteroids and large countries.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GuestBob posted:

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Once you get to a certain level in the pyramid it is your right to have your finger in the pie and if you don't have your finger in the pie then you'll get outflanked by everyone else who has their finger in the pie and your staff will get pissy because everyone else is getting to lick the tasty pie-fingers but they get nothing because your finger is dry.

If, if, you you have the China chops to make it to the table in the first place.

If not, then you are forever destined to sit with your thumb up your bum.

I'm scared. :ohdear:

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Yeah that boss guy is boning your girlfriend.

I feel like you'd be a lot happier if you broke it off with her then enjoyed the benefits of being a single white guy in China. Seriously.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Cuatal posted:

Yeah that boss guy is boning your girlfriend.

I feel like you'd be a lot happier if you broke it off with her then enjoyed the benefits of being a single white guy in China. Seriously.

Not sure I agree with boss hitting that, but the remainder of that post, so true.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Facepalm Ranger a lot of your problems with your girlfriend are probably due to stuff you never consider. For example, you're a Westerner and she's a Chinese. Western men are generally well known for being very open, having multiple girlfriends in their life, etc. Most Chinese girls need to feel stability, and she probably loves you so much she's worried you will find another, prettier girlfriend and leave her, and this causes her to act in a petulant sa jiao or 'whining' manner. When she asks you to do this work for her boss for example, it's her testing your stability and giving nature as a mate. We only hear your side of the story, so I don't think it's really fair for you to criticize your girlfriend without answering these questions:

1. Have you bought her any gold? If so, how much did it weigh? (and please, don't mention the Western garbage which is less than 24k)
2. Have you provided her with shopping trips to Hong Kong or Shanghai? What kind of purse does she wear? Shoes? Are they befitting her dignity as a child of the Yellow Emperor?
3. Have you discussed the villa you're going to purchase for her? How many square meters will it be? (Hint, if it's not 300+ you're doing it wrong) In which part of town? How will it be decorated?

Take care of this basic poo poo. Once you marry her, things will shape up immediately and you will easily slide into the role of dangjiade. Please put this in the OP so China newbies don't make rookie mistakes like this again by the way.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

What benefits?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Have you considered the problem may be that you're a grown rear end man obsessed with animes, figurines, and skateboarding?

Arakan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Fall Sick and Die posted:

1. Have you bought her any gold? If so, how much did it weigh? (and please, don't mention the Western garbage which is less than 24k)

Please give measurements only in maces/taels. We're civilized people here.