Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
In describing the requirements for the program it says: "We will be compiling the code with Microsoft Visual Studio, using either version 2010 or 2012, please specify your preference. We do not require the code to be portable."

I don't really understand the significance of the choice they're offering here. Regardless, it looks like those versions of MS Visual Studio are paid-for. I'm installing Visual Studio Express 2013 on the basis that that's the closest free product to what they specified and therefore the least likely to result in any issues. (I have tinkered with C++ things before, but it's always been using Code Blocks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Your first experience writing a whole program in C++ is going to be for an interview problem?

:stare:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Free Visual Studio 2012: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34673

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Oh, thanks, but why isn't it listed on the downloads page at visualstudio.com? That's pretty stupid.

coffeetable posted:

Your first experience writing a whole program in C++ is going to be for an interview problem?

:stare:

Well, no, that's not really accurate. I wrote a Windows program in C++ several years ago (it was a shambles as far as code quality goes, because I hadn't done real programming before then, but it had a GUI and relatively complicated logic). But I haven't really done anything aside from tinker with it since then, I've just worked with scripting languages mostly. So it's my second whole program in C++. :)

Anyway, interview practice is interview practice.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Hammerite posted:

I don't really understand the significance of the choice they're offering here.

The level of C++11 support is quite significant a decision from 2010, 2012, through 2013.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
What should Projects section generally look like on a resume? A listing with languages used, or a little blurb about the project, or just a name? Nothing at all? My company is open-sourcing some of my work and I've got some personal projects that aren't utter poo poo. My github is already on there. The example resumes in the OP don't have anything like that.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Urit posted:

What should Projects section generally look like on a resume? A listing with languages used, or a little blurb about the project, or just a name? Nothing at all? My company is open-sourcing some of my work and I've got some personal projects that aren't utter poo poo. My github is already on there. The example resumes in the OP don't have anything like that.

I'm also curious about the best way to detail projects.

For me I name it, describe what it does, and name the language(s) & library(s) used. Since my resume is lacking meat, I also included current status and next milestones. I feel like that might be a bit too much, though.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

For me I list languages used for each project and a blurb about what it is.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm not a software engineer, but I do a lot of coding anyway (system engineering / researcher weeee), and I'd like to reiterate that what the OP says about negotiating for salary is absolutely true. If you've been offered a job, then no sane company is going to reject you just because you tried to negotiate for a higher salary. Ask for an extra $5k and they'll probably just give it to you. At worst, they'll say no and re-offer the same salary. If asking for a modest salary increase results in them moving on to someone else, then you're better off going somewhere else anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It kinda seems like a lot of companies won't respond to you if you aren't in their area. Whenever I apply to Boston-based positions from FL, I tend to either get ignored or unceremoniously rejected. I have more luck than that applying to places nearby, even though there aren't many opportunities for my skillset. How critical is it that I be local to the position?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Pollyanna posted:

It kinda seems like a lot of companies won't respond to you if you aren't in their area. Whenever I apply to Boston-based positions from FL, I tend to either get ignored or unceremoniously rejected. I have more luck than that applying to places nearby, even though there aren't many opportunities for my skillset. How critical is it that I be local to the position?

You should be using a Boston address on your resume, they shouldn't even know you're in Florida

kompukarl
Sep 20, 2013

Hammerite posted:

In describing the requirements for the program it says: "We will be compiling the code with Microsoft Visual Studio, using either version 2010 or 2012, please specify your preference. We do not require the code to be portable."

I don't really understand the significance of the choice they're offering here. Regardless, it looks like those versions of MS Visual Studio are paid-for. I'm installing Visual Studio Express 2013 on the basis that that's the closest free product to what they specified and therefore the least likely to result in any issues. (I have tinkered with C++ things before, but it's always been using Code Blocks.)

Visual Studio 20xx should have no problem opening a project created in VS Express 20xx.
I would recommend using VS Express 2012 since they did not specify VS 2013 as an option. Sometimes the project or solution file format gets updated in slightly incompatible ways between major versions.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

kompukarl posted:

Sometimes the project or solution file format gets updated in slightly incompatible ways between major versions.

vs is really good about round-trip compatibility. 2010 - 2013 all support each other's solution files.

kompukarl
Sep 20, 2013

Ithaqua posted:

vs is really good about round-trip compatibility. 2010 - 2013 all support each other's solution files.

I have a coworker who used the old VS2010 and wasn't able to work with a project I sent him once from VS2012. Maybe he just did it wrong. I will have to try this again :)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

KidDynamite posted:

Anyone have experience with Hacker School in NYC? I'm thinking of applying if I don't manage to get an internship.

wolffenstein posted:

Anal Volcano went, but he was being laughed out of YOSPOS the last time I saw him post.

The reason I haven't posted much in YOSPOS since going is because I'm now happily employed and don't have time for posting about bad phones anymore :coal:

Nah, but for real, I dropped out of (community) college to do Hacker School and it was the single smartest thing I've ever done in my life. I've worked at two startups since my batch ended back in May (unfortunately, the first startup I joined had money/growth problems and shut down), and Hacker School helped me connect with both of them. I managed to get the gently caress out of suburban Georgia and now live in NYC, which is crazy.

FWIW, from what I've seen, most HS alumni who want to get a full-time coding job afterwards do with relative ease, whether they use Hacker School's recruiting connections or not. In the worst case, you could certainly get an internship afterwards if you wanted one.

baquerd posted:

I'm very curious if these types of schools actually teach you more than interview skills. I imagine a month or two of concentrated interview practice would get you in tip top shape to do exactly that, but I would need to see someone come out of one of these and actually start producing production quality code quickly and efficiently (not easy to test this in an interview).

Hacker School is in no way structured with the goal of passing interviews (though they offer plenty of optional interview prep), and is instead focused on getting you much more better at programming. It's mostly self-directed, and you can choose what you want to work on (one of the people in my batch spent most of his three months creating a Quake 2 engine in Julia).

There are schools with a more specific curriculum (App Academy, Flatiron School), but even those tend to result in more coding experience/ability than most college grads I've interviewed. I don't know of any schools that are actually based around tricking people into hiring you :v:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 6, 2014

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

kompukarl posted:

I have a coworker who used the old VS2010 and wasn't able to work with a project I sent him once from VS2012. Maybe he just did it wrong. I will have to try this again :)

It's been a while, I seemed to remember VS2010 being future-compatible. I know 2012 and 2013 both place nice with each other, though -- I jump between the two pretty frequently.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ithaqua posted:

It's been a while, I seemed to remember VS2010 being future-compatible. I know 2012 and 2013 both place nice with each other, though -- I jump between the two pretty frequently.

I had VS2010 projects I couldn't compile using VS2012 unless I had both side-by-side installed until we got around to do the up-conversion, but those were in C++.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Ithaqua posted:

I was just listening to a BUILD talk on Visual Studio Tips and Tricks and the presenter mentioned needing VS2010 SP1 for round-tripping.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

Thanks for this. I'm thinking of dropping out and doing this as well soon. I'm someone who often gets analysis paralysis when trying to choose a project to work on. I've read that the faculty will help you build a curriculum/path for yourself, but that's the biggest thing holding me back. Can you comment on whether this is something they would be able to help with or if I should work on it on my own before applying?

As far as applications go, can you describe yours a bit? I don't want to crib anything from yours, buy it'd be cool to see what level you were at when you applied.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Abraham, is it ok if I add you to the OP as a person to talk to about coding bootcamps?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
I'm also interested in the benefits/requirements of Hacker School.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

abraham linksys posted:

Trade schoool ...

How did you finance this if you don't mind sharing? I'm assuming there's no federal aid. The expense of moving to a major city plus the tuition looks like it could be a bit.

Wardende
Apr 27, 2013
When applying for new job while you're still at your current position, is there any reasonable way to prevent your prospective employers from getting in contact with your current ones, thus alerting your current employers that you're on your way out (and thus poisoning your working relationship)? How does that usually work?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wardende posted:

When applying for new job while you're still at your current position, is there any reasonable way to prevent your prospective employers from getting in contact with your current ones, thus alerting your current employers that you're on your way out (and thus poisoning your working relationship)? How does that usually work?
Do not list your references on your CV, do not give details of your referee to them until you are ready for them to make contact, and specifically ask them that they do not contact anyone for a reference without your permission. That's a completely reasonable request to make and any employer that doesn't actively try to anger potential recruits will be fine with it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abraham linksys posted:

Hacker School is in no way structured with the goal of passing interviews (though they offer plenty of optional interview prep), and is instead focused on getting you much more better at programming. It's mostly self-directed, and you can choose what you want to work on (one of the people in my batch spent most of his three months creating a Quake 2 engine in Julia).

There are schools with a more specific curriculum (App Academy, Flatiron School), but even those tend to result in more coding experience/ability than most college grads I've interviewed. I don't know of any schools that are actually based around tricking people into hiring you :v:

Hmm, I remain skeptical. As someone who interview candidates, what would you tell me to convince me that someone coming from Hacker School should be looked at by default as a person that can grow into a Senior Engineer/Architect? I would expect an excellent person to come out of Hacker School as an excellent candidate, but nothing has really changed if it's primarily self directed. A self-directing person can go do open source and pick up all the connections and experience they could possibly need. I would also expect an average candidate to not really come out of it with anything more than interview fodder.

I get that it seems like a nice thing for someone who's already an self-directed programmer with a formal education to have on their resume, but I just can't see most people coming out of these schools as being any more worthwhile than any other fresh college graduate. I suppose that may be the point right there though, that this school shows similar expertise as a 4 year degree, with individual candidates still being hit or miss.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

down with slavery posted:

You should be using a Boston address on your resume, they shouldn't even know you're in Florida

Don't do that unless you can actually be in Boston on short notice.

Tunga posted:

Do not list your references on your CV, do not give details of your referee to them until you are ready for them to make contact, and specifically ask them that they do not contact anyone for a reference without your permission. That's a completely reasonable request to make and any employer that doesn't actively try to anger potential recruits will be fine with it.

You shouldn't have to tell them this.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

down with slavery posted:

That works right up until they ask why they need to fly you out and put you in a hotel for an interview.

Stupor Mundi
Jan 10, 2008
Filil Hobenstaufenin osculamini asinum meum.
Judging from the OP this thread is more geared towards Comp/Sci students, but I'd like to seek advice as an MIS student.

Background: I'm in my final year as an undergraduate enrolled in an MIS program at a state college. I've enjoyed most of the courses so far but, funnily enough, my favorite courses have been of the technical variety. SQL Server, database design and OOP with Java are some of the highlights. The remainder of my curriculum, however (aside from the capstone), is mostly geared towards a higher-level business perspective. I have an internship with a financial institution lined up for the summer; we'll be working with a software-as-a-service platform which might involve some light programming (JavaScript and HTML).

My main question is this: What's a good way to continue my education on the technical side while finishing up my degree? Is database programming a good bet? I've been messing around with C#, VS 2012 and SQL Server, trying to implement GUI programs to interface with some of the databases I've made in my classes. I'm just looking for a little nudge in the right direction. What sort of projects would impress potential interviewers? Are there any specific technologies I should look into before trying to enter the job market?

I know I don't have the background for any kind of engineering/science/math-type highly-technical programming, but I'm quite comfortable with higher-level object-oriented concepts.

My eventual goal is to become something along the lines of a Systems Analyst; I really enjoy the conceptual aspects of discipline.

Thanks in advance for any input.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Kumquat posted:

Thanks for this. I'm thinking of dropping out and doing this as well soon. I'm someone who often gets analysis paralysis when trying to choose a project to work on. I've read that the faculty will help you build a curriculum/path for yourself, but that's the biggest thing holding me back. Can you comment on whether this is something they would be able to help with or if I should work on it on my own before applying?

As far as applications go, can you describe yours a bit? I don't want to crib anything from yours, buy it'd be cool to see what level you were at when you applied.

The facilitators at Hacker School are definitely helpful in finding projects, but so are other students. A lot of students in my batch came in with very vague ideas of what they wanted to do, and were able to find more specific projects by working with their peers - e.g., someone I knew who wanted to know more about how low-level networking works decided to work on a bittorrent client after hearing another student was working on one.

As for the applications - I've heard they've changed a lot since my batch, and since I haven't been helping them review applications I honestly don't know the details :v:. In general, it's good to show some sort of personal coding project that involved some problem solving skills, as well as a desire to actually get better at coding, not just find a nice job. One of the nice things about Hacker School is that they look for very diverse backgrounds, so you don't need to worry too much about any kind of "culture fit" other than wanting to learn/help others learn.

Cicero posted:

Abraham, is it ok if I add you to the OP as a person to talk to about coding bootcamps?

Sure, though I only have first-hand experience with Hacker School and stories I've heard from friends/colleagues who have done other schools.

rsjr posted:

How did you finance this if you don't mind sharing? I'm assuming there's no federal aid. The expense of moving to a major city plus the tuition looks like it could be a bit.

Hacker School is completely free to attend - they make their money off of optional recruitment fees after. There's no legal obligation to look through a job through them, though they work with some of the best companies in NYC (and a handful of companies elsewhere) and I found both my recent jobs through them.

In terms of living expenses, I stayed in a hostel in Bed-Stuy for four months, for $800/mo. Ended up being cheaper than that semester's tuition would have been. NYC is, in general, a really expensive city that can be hard to find a cheap place in, but there's a lot of Hacker School alumni in NYC who are happy to sublet out their apartment (whether for a few weeks when you first get there, or for the length of the batch).

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

baquerd posted:

Hmm, I remain skeptical. As someone who interview candidates, what would you tell me to convince me that someone coming from Hacker School should be looked at by default as a person that can grow into a Senior Engineer/Architect? I would expect an excellent person to come out of Hacker School as an excellent candidate, but nothing has really changed if it's primarily self directed. A self-directing person can go do open source and pick up all the connections and experience they could possibly need. I would also expect an average candidate to not really come out of it with anything more than interview fodder.

I get that it seems like a nice thing for someone who's already an self-directed programmer with a formal education to have on their resume, but I just can't see most people coming out of these schools as being any more worthwhile than any other fresh college graduate. I suppose that may be the point right there though, that this school shows similar expertise as a 4 year degree, with individual candidates still being hit or miss.

FWIW, I don't think literally every single person coming out of Hacker School is immediately ready to enter a full-time position. There are certainly less-experienced alumni who have taken on internships, gone back to school, or decided to return to/change to a different field.

That said, I do think that every HS alumnus cares deeply about coding as a craft, and actually wants to become better at it. I've never met anyone from HS who was there for resume padding and an easy "in" at startups - everyone in my batch, and all alumni I've met since, simply love coding. And I think something many companies take for granted is having employees who actually care about the code they create. In my experience, this has been one of the biggest differentiators between HS candidates and the "average" candidate.

I know that "love of programming" is a far more fuzzy skill than, like, "5 years of Rails experience," but it's been far more important in my time interviewing and working with people.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

abraham linksys posted:

I know that "love of programming" is a far more fuzzy skill than, like, "5 years of Rails experience," but it's been far more important in my time interviewing and working with people.

It's funny that you would say this. Your posts got me interested in learning more about Hacker School (since the idea of non-traditional education methods is certainly intriguing) and was reading one of their article called Mistakes we've made and your last post speaks directly to their first mistake:

quote:

We no longer believe people must "love" programming to come to Hacker School. We learned that many of our alumni nearly didn't apply because they worried they didn't really "love" programming. Around the same time, Hacker School alumna Sunah Suh recommended the excellent book Unlocking the Clubhouse, which presents strong evidence that this language is gendered. We've since stopped saying that people must "love" programming (see my post about the word "hacker").

I think it's interesting that "loving" programming is possibly gender-specific and that making it a requirement potentially further widens the gender gap in computing.

Just to be clear, I'm not attacking/arguing against your post/perspective or anything of the sort. I just thought it was interesting.

tetracontakaidigon
Apr 21, 2013

bonds0097 posted:

I think it's interesting that "loving" programming is possibly gender-specific and that making it a requirement potentially further widens the gender gap in computing.

You might already know this, but the explanation for this that I've heard is: Women typically apply for jobs/opportunities when they meet 100% of the skills in the "required skills." For men, they meet around 50% of the skills. (I can't cite a source for this, but I heard it at the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing last year. Sheryl Sandberg probably said it in her keynote or something.)

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

tetracontakaidigon posted:

You might already know this, but the explanation for this that I've heard is: Women typically apply for jobs/opportunities when they meet 100% of the skills in the "required skills." For men, they meet around 50% of the skills. (I can't cite a source for this, but I heard it at the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing last year. Sheryl Sandberg probably said it in her keynote or something.)

That makes sense, 'Lean In' discusses this to some extent as well. I'm definitely going to check out 'Unlocking the Clubhouse', sounds interesting.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
That sounds absolutely ridiculous to me, but I'm a fat white guy, so what do I know?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It seems like hacker school type places are good for 1. finding and working on projects that you can point to as proof of experience and 2. getting a network of people who can get you in touch with employers. For someone who's self-taught, that sounds like the rest of the puzzle they need to get into the field. I've actually been considering going to one myself, but I have a prior commitment with an online degree...:sigh: but I would really like to go to one. What's the average age of people that go there?

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I interviewed a recent Hacker School grad. He was confident and performed well with all the early interviews, but when it became mildly complicated, he froze up and was clueless, and then turned defensive and frankly quite rude. We passed immediately.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, I work with another Hacker School grad. She was out of the working world for a while, but wanted to ramp up before getting back involved. She speaks very highly of the program and said it was exactly what she needed to get back into the swing of things. She was also appalled when I told her the story in the prior paragraph.

It seems like a great way for someone really serious to ramp up and learn some of the finer details of coding professionally, often on a team, but it isn't a straight shot toward a job.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Pollyanna posted:

It seems like hacker school type places are good for 1. finding and working on projects that you can point to as proof of experience and 2. getting a network of people who can get you in touch with employers. For someone who's self-taught, that sounds like the rest of the puzzle they need to get into the field. I've actually been considering going to one myself, but I have a prior commitment with an online degree...:sigh: but I would really like to go to one. What's the average age of people that go there?
Why can't you do both? The hours were only 34 per week.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

What's the average age of people that go there?

You know, if you actually cared, you might have gone to their website and looked at their FAQ which contains that exact question. And its answer.

Ithaqua posted:

That sounds absolutely ridiculous to me, but I'm a fat white guy, so what do I know?

Well, sure it's ridiculous, but so is the fact that women are so grossly underrepresented in our industry.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Does your profile on stack overflow careers need to have more than your resume's information on it? I've started filling mine out and I'm just not sure how spruced up it should look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bonds0097 posted:

Well, sure it's ridiculous, but so is the fact that women are so grossly underrepresented in our industry.

Maybe it's because they don't love programming? All aboard the circular logic train!