Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Doc Hawkins posted:

More analog RPGs should have endings imo

rocks fall is an ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Every game ends, but not every game truly lives

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

-an australian man roleplaying a scot

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Gerund posted:

rocks fall is an ending

gently caress Neverwinter Nights 2 for pulling that poo poo. They should've just pulled a "Everyone lives happily ever after" bullshit ending instead of doing that poo poo.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

SunAndSpring posted:

gently caress Neverwinter Nights 2 for pulling that poo poo. They should've just pulled a "Everyone lives happily ever after" bullshit ending instead of doing that poo poo.

All the Neverwinter Nights 2 characters were either morons or jackasses, though.

Dec 26, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

In nocturne satan is a) two people and b) a fourth (fifth?) choice which ends the progression of universes and drowns all things in darkness as your character leads all demons in existence to march in war on The Creator, aka the greatest ending in video rpg history besides the chrono trigger one where Luca and marle Check Out Dudes

thats lucifer bro cmon we just did this whole thing

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Rocks fall. No Save. Final Destination.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

01011001 posted:

thats lucifer bro cmon we just did this whole thing

wasn't sure, should have been more careful, mea culpa

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

if there was a hell for rpg sins i'd be in sooooo much trouble

Dec 26, 2012

yeah youd be down there with satan and hed be all "i am not lucifer you gently caress"

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
satan and lucifer are basically the same thing. awesome.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

yo hold on, how is lucifer not in hell

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

red plastic cup posted:

All the Neverwinter Nights 2 characters were either morons or jackasses, though.

Hey man, Neeshka, Khelgar, and Sand were bros.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

the greatest trick lucifer ever pulled was leaving satan with the mortgage

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
mr satan is the great hero of earth tho

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

SunAndSpring posted:

Hey man, Neeshka, Khelgar, and Sand were bros.

moron. moron. jackass.

shandra and that one cleric are the only real exceptions and one dies and the other has maybe 10 lines of dialogue that arent info dumps.

Dec 26, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

yo hold on, how is lucifer not in hell

01011001 posted:

yeah youd be down there with satanlucifer and hed be all "i am not lucifersatan you gently caress"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

red plastic cup posted:

moron. moron. jackass.

shandra and that one cleric are the only real exceptions and one dies and the other has maybe 10 lines of dialogue that arent info dumps.

I didn't say they were smart or particularly polite. Can't say anything about the MotB cast because I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to beat the Red Wizard, the Gnolls, and the loving Devil that almost invariably is summoned in the first town because there's no one to tank for me, so I'm stuck.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Fair

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Neither! ha-Satan isn't mentioned until the Book of Job and Lucifer doesn't appear until much much later (Isaiah, I think). The snake in genesis is just The Serpent.

missed this convo, but the "lucifer" in the book of isaiah's the latin translation of the hebrew word for day-star. isaiah was using the day-star as a metaphor for, gently caress, probably like the decadence and pride of the israelite nation or something. when the old testament got translated into the latin vulgate, the translator missed the metaphor and translated that bit like isaiah was talking to a guy named lucifer. later theologians working out of the vulgate saw that and started conflating lucifer with ha satan (lit. 'the satan') from the book of job and the demons that jesus casts out of some dumb gently caress in matthew and mark into one dude, then started mixing in stuff like the serpent from genesis and stuff from zoroastrianism to create teh concept of the devil as the adversary of god

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

stoutfish posted:

mr satan is the great hero of earth tho

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

YHWH and lucifer??? more like ahura mazda and ahriman!!!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Doc Hawkins posted:

do you think you could get away with ", but not every game truly begins" here to make this read better

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Bottom line Lucifer is sorta your bro in like half the SMT games even if you move against him because hey, neutral means you're rebelling against everyone, which still counts as rebelling.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Plutonis posted:

YHWH and lucifer??? more like ahura mazda and ahriman!!!

im the demiurge

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

do you think you could get away with ", but not every game truly begins" here to make this read better

I was trying to get a fate point for my 'comically incompetent' aspect

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
i mean, conceivably "begins" doesn't work in the metaphor somehow, who can really say. honestly though it seems like dies/lives would've been just fine

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

What are the good boardgame/RPG hybrids other than Descent and WFRP3e. Even better if they don't actually require anything other than books and standard dice

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LSTB posted:

What are the good boardgame/RPG hybrids other than Descent and WFRP3e. Even better if they don't actually require anything other than books and standard dice

How would they be a boardgame/RPG hybrid if they only required the books and standard dice? Wouldn't that just be a tabletop roleplaying game?

Unless that was the joke...

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Covok posted:

How would they be a boardgame/RPG hybrid if they only required the books and standard dice? Wouldn't that just be a tabletop roleplaying game?

Unless that was the joke...

They wouldn't be a hybrid, you are right. I guess was I mean is, very low usage of Rule Zero (when in doubt, GM's word is law) aside from what's absolutely necessary to keep the game from grinding to a halt.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Bottom line Lucifer is sorta your bro in like half the SMT games even if you move against him because hey, neutral means you're rebelling against everyone, which still counts as rebelling.

gently caress him with a rake on the devil survivor boss fight though.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

LSTB posted:

They wouldn't be a hybrid, you are right. I guess was I mean is, very low usage of Rule Zero (when in doubt, GM's word is law) aside from what's absolutely necessary to keep the game from grinding to a halt.

4e works fine for this in the same environments that you play descent in (fight-shop-level-fight). it doesn't have very robust or non-handwavey rules for anything else but then neither does descent really

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

LSTB posted:

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I wish there was a version of Battletech that didn't have rules that were so dense and complex as to be unintelligible, because gigantic robots shooting each other is cool and sounds like fun to play

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

What I remember about Battletech was that the overwhelming strategy was to canter in a slight circle to the right or left around your target, no matter the weapon, mech or terrain.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

I wish there was a version of Battletech that didn't have rules that were so dense and complex as to be unintelligible, because gigantic robots shooting each other is cool and sounds like fun to play

Battletech's rules aren't dense or complex, it's just not a very streamlined game once you start doing stuff like pushing a robot off a skyscraper so it hits another building that some other robot is hiding in and gets displaced into a squad of infantry with laser rifles and vibro-axes riding pterodactyls and then crashes through the floor of the mobile city block you're fighting on in the middle of a forest fire on the side of an erupting volcano on Venus.

I'd say that the game is less complex than Warmahordes/40k/D&D, but has more book-keeping to do.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 6, 2014

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Gerund posted:

What I remember about Battletech was that the overwhelming strategy was to canter in a slight circle to the right or left around your target, no matter the weapon, mech or terrain.

an accurate description of pre-3050 play

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Wales Grey posted:

Battletech's rules aren't dense or complex, it's just not a very streamlined game once you start doing stuff like pushing a robot off a skyscraper so it hits another building that some other robot is hiding in and gets displaced into a squad of infantry with laser rifles and vibro-axes riding pterodactyls and then crashes through the floor of the mobile city block you're fighting on in the middle of a forest fire on the side of an erupting volcano on Venus.

I'd say that the game is less complex than Warmahordes/40k/D&D.

Isn't there a Battletech RPG? I might be thinking of that, and not the actual tabletop robot game

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

Isn't there a Battletech RPG? I might be thinking of that, and not the actual tabletop robot game

Mechwarrior first and second edition are both an awful jumbled mess of rules and have no real direction, the third edition/Classic Battletech RPG is kind of okay I guess, and the current edition of "Battletech RPG" is named "Battletech: A Time of War" and I have no real experience with it/any opinion on it.

edit: looking at the quickstart packet, you can put a character on a half-sheet of paper no issue so it can't be that bad

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

LSTB posted:

I thought Rule Zero was "don't give the DM any ideas" sort of like that whole "choose the form of the Destructor" thing from Ghostbusters.

• Locked thread