Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jsoh posted:

the post you quoted says they will cost 20 gems each

Even the slave one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

LordLeckie posted:

Even the slave one?

Even the slave one, I might add a horror mark chance to that one though, hey don't carry around a piece of demon heart if you don't want people trying to eat that delicious hunk of meat. it could go to 30 (5 in path) or somehow swing a 40 (if I can make it 4/4 in the same path so 20/20 fire gems for example)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LordLeckie posted:

Im guessing those are just placeholder prices but autocast fanaticism and divine blessing seem stupidly good.

The one I'd be worried about is Power of the Sepulchre. Suddenly even soulless are competent fighters and longdead/bonerfiends/vampires tear through everything.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

The one I'd be worried about is Power of the Sepulchre. Suddenly even soulless are competent fighters and longdead/bonerfiends/vampires tear through everything.

Some people were saying "OH NO THE UNDEAD ARE GONNA GET BANISHED BY H5s"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Speaking of horror marks and curses, how do those all work? I'm always nervous about crafting tainted gear because I don't know what a horrormark actually does.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Speaking of horror marks and curses, how do those all work? I'm always nervous about crafting tainted gear because I don't know what a horrormark actually does.

It makes horrors more likely to target you and also horrors will start hunting you, one is not a big deal, but they STACK and you can't really tell how bad it is except by how bad you are getting horrored on. Curses just double affliction chance and thats it, neither can be removed.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Doom is one of the best spells in the game for completely ruining the day of someone blobbing it up with thug infantry like giants or sacreds, if you can afford the S4 (or S3 plus power of the spheres). gently caress your regen, you are gonna rack up afflictions all day.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

MrBims posted:

Doom is one of the best spells in the game for completely ruining the day of someone blobbing it up with thug infantry like giants or sacreds, if you can afford the S4 (or S3 plus power of the spheres). gently caress your regen, you are gonna rack up afflictions all day.

Thats why you liquid body and regen these days.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MrBims posted:

Who even cares about curses on troops really.

Plus with regen they're still only 1/4 as likely to get afflictions as normal troops in any case, afaik.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

This game has cool lore. It's like the Silmarillion or something. Most fantasy media is set long after the age of myth has passed.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Isn't regen 1/4 and curse 400%?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Isn't regen 1/4 and curse 400%?
1/8 and 200%. That Power of the Sepulcre thing makes Ashdod's Melqarts hypothetically even more super loving crazy to deal with for nations that don't get D magic. Maybe the problem there is the Melqart as much as the item, though.

AwesomeMidgame is a good idea for a mod, mind, so have an experiment with it, if everything is as ludicrous then it'll have its own balance.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

The water one is shoes. There are quite a lot of aquatic priests without feet. I don't know if that's intentional or not.

I'm just quoting myself in case you missed it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

goatface posted:

I'm just quoting myself in case you missed it.

Something had to be the shoes in this get up.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Make the shoes cost pounds of gold.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtomikKrab posted:

Something had to be the shoes in this get up.

Switching Air and Water (sandals make sense for Air and pilgrims) might be a better alternative? Crystal/pearl/rock flavor is pretty common around the Water nations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Eschatos posted:

I guess I'll follow the trend and toss up a Champions D postmortem:

2.5 bless Warriors of the Five Elements are ridiculously awesome. From turn two onward I was sending out an expansion party every turn, which quickly got me enough territory and income that I could take on both Ashdod and Yomi. Ashdod attacked first, and while his stack of giants was able to wreck PD, 30 Wot5 and some blockers absolutely shredded them. That was effectively the end for Ashdod. Yomi was a lot tougher since he had time to get some Dai Oni geared. Three of them were able to hold off 100+ infantry and Wot5, so I split up armies to take the provinces he didn't have Dai Oni in. Flaming arrows let me eradicate anything else of his but were useless against fire-immune Dai Oni. Victory was still inevitable with 80% of the map under my control. Eventually I was able to pump out enough Wot5 and Demons of Heavenly Rivers that Yomi fell.

Is that all the champions games done?

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One more wrinkle. Some items say "Curse" and others say "Item is cursed." These mean completely different things. :raise: "Curse" increases your chances of catching afflictions. "Item is cursed" means that you can never voluntarily remove the item, but there is no other effect and you don't get "Curse" status.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

jBrereton posted:

Who even cares about curses on troops really.

Plus with regen they're still only 1/4 as likely to get afflictions as normal troops in any case, afaik.

You really wouldn't want afflictions on troops that the enemy player puts regen on in the specific hope of them staying alive? I'm not talking about HP 10s. Chest wounds, arm loss, and crippling absolutely demolish thug armies. In my championA game I had an SC pretender that went from killing N9D9 steel warriors by the dozens to dying instantly to plain devils just because of the afflictions it racked up. Unless you have N5 and a lot of gems or healers, your chainsaws can be turned into arrow fodder even when they win.

builds character posted:

Not yet, group de la muerte is apparently going to be a while apparently.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

MrBims posted:

You really wouldn't want afflictions on troops that the enemy player puts regen on in the specific hope of them staying alive? I'm not talking about HP 10s. Chest wounds, arm loss, and crippling absolutely demolish thug armies. In my championA game I had an SC pretender that went from killing N9D9 steel warriors by the dozens to dying instantly to plain devils just because of the afflictions it racked up. Unless you have N5 and a lot of gems or healers, your chainsaws can be turned into arrow fodder even when they win.

Hmm yes, an SC pretender certainly is a recruitable troop that is in no way one of a kind...

Of course curses and afflictions matter on commanders, but by Alt 7 there are roughly 1 million better uses for your mages than cursing some troops. Sure, it may make the opponent's big sacred army less effective after some attrition, but there is pretty much zero reason for them to act differently once their troops are cursed. They will continue to use those troops until they die and then recruit some more replacements.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Friends, let me tell you a story. The story of Bernardo the Retarded Witch Hunter.

You see Bernardo was an aspiring Witch Hunter is service to Marignon until one fateful day when he was caught scrying into an hostile province. A mage of Scleria cut the astral cord and poor Bernardo was rendered feeble-minded. Striped off all magical power or ability to command, Bernardo was sent to a province under the control of nearby Asphodel to find his death and gather intelligence for Marignon in the process.

But this was to be no ordinary battle.

How could this be? How could Bernardo slay 54 undead with nothing but his robes and a rusty mace? He had no companions and no magical talent left!

Asphodel had no commander to lead it's undead. The mere presence of a living being was rapidly disintegrating the creatures. All Bernardo had to do was wait and they would all turn to dust. But this would not do. Although Bernardo's addled mind could barely comprehend reality, he was nonetheless aware of a need for redemption. He charged the enemy.

And proved himself a loving kung-fu master. Charging into the abominations, Bernardo skillfully dodged blow after blow with incredible feats of alacrity rivaling the legendary Ninja of Jomon. And though his mind was nearly gone from this world his arm was strong and he swung his mace with the strength of a giant, inflicting blow after blow with steel and fist upon the undead creatures.

And yet just as him moment of victory drew near Bernardo finally fell. The very last undead creature yet to turn to dust or fall before Bernardo's retard strength at last struck a mortal blow to our tragic hero.

Let us never forget this day, when one who was thought useless and sent to die brought upon himself a glory that even some our greatest heroes never achieve. Bernardo shall forever more be a reminder that even the unintelligent or weak have it within their hearts to be a hero.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 6, 2014

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Is there any way to undo The Curse Of The Frog Prince? Is there a princess somewhere who can plant a kiss on this useless amphibian and bring back my national hero thug?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

VendoViper posted:

Is there any way to undo The Curse Of The Frog Prince? Is there a princess somewhere who can plant a kiss on this useless amphibian and bring back my national hero thug?
Nope, get owned.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Chomp8645 posted:

Friends, let me tell you a story. The story of Bernardo the Retarded Witch Hunter.

Marignon always brings such heartwarming tales. :unsmith:

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

builds character posted:

Ahahaha, if only. GroupodelaMeurte is just starting to get interesting, and we've even done some blitzing on it. 68 glorious turns, and Lemuria is still alive.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Smerdyakov posted:

Ahahaha, if only. GroupodelaMeurte is just starting to get interesting, and we've even done some blitzing on it. 68 glorious turns, and Lemuria is still alive.

Oops? :mmmhmm:

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
So I've been trying out Lemuria, not sure what strategy you are meant to go for, any advice? Here are my thoughts:

In terms of ordinary freespawn you get 15-20/turn 10 hp, 13def, 0 prot, ethereal units with mr negatable weapons from castle provinces. In random provinces with nothing you get a few 1 hp ethereal spirits who can paralyze but die very quickly. If you build a temple you get 1-2 shades/ghosts a turn which doesn't seem like much for the gold cost you are spending, given how little gold you have, especially since it stops the spirits spawning in that province. You also get an occasional fear causing standard bearer unit in castles. So overall it seems you get fairly few units, you aren't going to flood the world with a wave of undead like ermor.

In terms of freespawn summons from your priests, on the cheap end you have spirits and shadow warriors, the only difference between the two being that you get 3-4 times as many spirits as shadow warriors, the spirits are size 1 v size 2, and shadow warriors have 5 hp rather than 1 hp. Late game the shadow warriors have dark power which means if you cast it you can get them up to 16 def, but early game there seems to be no reason to summon them over spirits.

The better summons are apparitions and shade beasts. Apparitions fear and disease enemy units so seem especially good against small numbers of elite units, the disadvantage being you need population in a province to summon them, and summoning them kills pop, so you will only be able to summon a few early in your lands, then you will have to summon any more on the front lines. I'd mix them in with spirits to try and reduce the chance they are hit. If you can get 4 spirits + 1 apparition in a square hopefully it will be able to disease/fear a large number of enemies before dieing.

Shade beasts have 12hp so if something gets through ethereal they may be able to survive 2-3 hits, they are size 1 so you can mix them with spirits and they have an attack does damage and poisons. Shade beasts and those 15-20 castlespawn are the only things that actually do damage rather than paralyzing. So you'll probably need to summon some to actually have units that are damaging your opponent.

Overall on the troop front things look pretty bad, you don't get many troops, you need castles and temples to make more and you don't get much gold. You can summon more troops but that takes your mages away from researching and you are going to be behind in research anyway due to only having the gems to summon a mage every one or two turns depending on the mage, and you need to get lucky and find more death gem sites in LA to get more.

For commanders the Lemur Consul makes a good thug with just a Nature bless it has 40hp/18prot/10% regen/ethereal/immortal/fear/chill/0 fatigue due to undead and can solo almost all indies from the start of the game. The problem is it isn't very strong offensively and to build frost brands/fire brands/snake bladder sticks you need gem income in other paths, and you also need to research construction, which is hard if you are spending gems summoning consuls or spending mage turns summoning units.

Your mages are high death/astral, the best thing I could find was spamming shadow blast, with a communion/power of the spheres your base D4 mages have D6-7 in combat, this gives them an aoe 10-11, 24-25 AN damage, shadowblast for 20-25 fatigue, as well as a good penetration score for the mr rolls, at only evo 5. Regen on your immortal communion slaves as well as a possible earth bless can let them cast for quite a while. Even if your mages die, they respawn in your cap if they are in your dominion which is another benefit. The disadvantage is that shadow blast consumes death gems that you have lots of other places you want to spend.

So I'm not sure what strat to go for. Should I just rush down to evo 5, and rely on my sc pretender/freespawn to survive until then? Should I spend mage turns summoning more freespawn, should I summon consul thugs?

Edit: The other option I was looking at was communions spamming summon skeletons/rigor mortis, the advantage being you don't have to spend death gems, the disadvantage is that shadowblast is almost guaranteed to cause devastating losses to your opponents army, meanwhile summon skeletons needs a critical mass of casters, which is hard to get when you dont have as many mages as other nations, otherwise they will be quickly dispatched without achieving much. If your opponent has reinvigoration/regen/mass undead killing spells its even less effective.

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 6, 2014

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You have immortal sacred thugs, you do not actually need any of your troops.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Lemurias fort freespawn are really good at standing inside of the fort and making it harder to siege. Thats the shadow advantage too they are not mindless so they can defend sieges well. They are worthless for everything but siege defence and attack. You get gold by prophetizing your starting centurion and making two consuls as fast as possible to capture as many provinces as possible before your dom kills all of the population and by events from taking luck scales. Grand Lemurs are good at skelespam and magic duels. You use magic duels to shut down banish communions because gently caress THAT poo poo.

Apostasy is also funny as poo poo.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Mod Update

Ritual of rebirth is now 30D gems and higher paths, but you get a divine mummy (195 hp size 6 dude) sadly attempting to rebirth a divine mummy just gives a giant mummy, I will need to fix that.

Rain of toads is now Rain of Toad, and will dunk several monster toads on a province of your choice, the toads are independents not under your control, also 20 gems and B4N2 to cast.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

What? How could this happen!?

Ok, looking good. The army is lined up and the Daimyo isn't way out of place or anything.

The scout and his dumb bird take 100 arrows to the face and die. Daimyo is still fine. WHAT HAPPENED?

Oh my god.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's just classic.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is that from that "phoenix power" cast? I'm not familiar enough with the game to identify how that happened.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is that from that "phoenix power" cast? I'm not familiar enough with the game to identify how that happened.

He caught on fire. Standing next to his own side's devils. Devils that he didn't start next to but for reasons unknown felt the need to dash over to.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 7, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

He caught on fire. Standing next to his own side's devils. Devils that he didn't start next to but for reasons unknown felt the need to dash over to.

Stay behind troops makes them run up to poo poo. I always script holdx5 stay behind troops to at least delay the commanders' attempts to walk up behind their troops.

Either that or you have to give them something to do. A skull talisman will make them stay still and also give them something kind of useful to contribute beyond their leadership!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Your own fault for dabbling with infernal forces! Good guys don't have that problem! :P

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Phoenix Power just increases your Fire path by one, nothing more, nothing less.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2014-04-06 22:45:21 +0200
Guardian Spirit
More Caelum changes
New mod commands: #guardspirt, #guardspiritbonus, #restricted, #userestricted
Improved mod error checking

Speculation about the new attribute guys?

With the name, it may be some kind of permanent bodyguard for commander in the form of some spirit.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Speculation about the new attribute guys?

With the name, it may be some kind of permanent bodyguard for commander in the form of some spirit.
Yep I'm thinking some kind of faction-specific start-of-battle summon. #restricted and #userestricted, I have no idea. What are we missing in mod commands in terms of restrictions on use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I guess a specific nation can never cast/forge a specific spell/item?

• Locked thread