Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
That. . . Actually doesn't look that bad? I mean, for a hot dog bar funded entirely through Internet irony, I half expected it to all collapse into one giant oozing pile of MRSA and Hepatitis All Of Them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wow, good for Doobie. Is the frog painted on the side yet?

Bradzor
Mar 18, 2007
Fwhaa?

Great Rumbler posted:

There's some info on that Facebook page, including a picture of the interior:

wheres the plaque? I want my plaque!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
because the goonship abandoned dooby hes not gonna paint a frog or build a plaque.

thanks a lot assholes. :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

KiddieGrinder posted:

because the goonship abandoned dooby hes not gonna paint a frog or build a plaque.

Paint the frog, Doobie.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fauxtool posted:

did the vent hood finally materialize like manna from the heavens?

As I recall, he's had the vent hood for some time, but the cost to install it was sinking him.

I am legit surprised that the restaurant is opening. I can't decide if it's more awesome for it to succeed or fail spectacularly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

theflyingorc posted:

I am legit surprised that the restaurant is opening. I can't decide if it's more awesome for it to succeed or fail spectacularly.
Either way, we can look back and say "GBS truly achieved something beautiful".

And by something I mean http://tindeck.com/listen/nmbc

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingorc posted:

As I recall, he's had the vent hood for some time, but the cost to install it was sinking him.

Pretty sure it's down to him getting a drink provider contract signed, those tend to have bonuses for getting your food place set up so they can start charging you for sodas and poo poo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm kinda glad it's working out because even if he is kinda a racist douche I'd rather see it succeed than have his whole life collapse around him, but we never should have let that crazy train take off to begin with ... FYAD was right :negative:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm kinda glad it's working out because even if he is kinda a racist douche I'd rather see it succeed than have his whole life collapse around him, but we never should have let that crazy train take off to begin with ... FYAD was right :negative:

Most businesses fail in their first year. I wish the guy well because at this point he's really sunk a lot of his own money into it and apparently burnt a few bridges along the way. But trying to build a business while living off of it as well is really hard and this guy learned how to do it from an ebook.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Great Rumbler posted:

There's some info on that Facebook page, including a picture of the interior:

Are those mason jar light fixtures? :staredog:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

Also that countertop appears to be particle board... with a stain?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zereth posted:

Get yer Madison Avenue sensibilities out of Alabama, carpetbagger!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pathetic little tramp posted:

Also that countertop appears to be particle board... with a stain?

Looks more to me like particle board with that fake woodgrain pattern on it. Those always look kind of assy when there's a glare.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i'm honestly shocked he got this far

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KiddieGrinder posted:

thanks a lot assholes. :colbert:

how did we abandon him? He still has our money right?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Zereth posted:

If the beverages aren't served in mason jars, I will be sorely disappointed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fauxtool posted:

how did we abandon him? He still has our money right?

Because when he grossly miscalculated the money he needed and came begging for another Internet Miracle™, the fanatical goon support was nowhere to be found.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2049720063/praising-the-sun-with-gloriously-incandescent-appa

Give me money so I can print t-shirts with images I don't own on them

I know its not new for kickstarter or anything but god damnit

There's literally multiple dozens of companies that will print any image on a t-shirt or hoodie of your choice. And he's not remotely related to From Software, just profiting off their IP because "I'm a fan!"

Naturally he's already past his asking 9 thousand dollars (to print loving shirts?!?! :stonk:) and is up to 24K

:suicide:

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

Behold, Pokemon - The Great Adventure. This trustworthy gentleman would greatly appreciate your monetary support for this totally legitimate and Nintendo approved Pokemon game for PC/Mac/Android/iOS. You know this kickstarter is destined for greatness when the Risks and Challenges section is longer than the pitch. I wonder how long it will stay up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bearserker posted:

Behold, Pokemon - The Great Adventure. This trustworthy gentleman would greatly appreciate your monetary support for this totally legitimate and Nintendo approved Pokemon game for PC/Mac/Android/iOS. You know this kickstarter is destined for greatness when the Risks and Challenges section is longer than the pitch. I wonder how long it will stay up.

Haha wow. Combined with the typical awful KS understanding of IP law, the guy has one funding level for the usual $1(pound spergling, whatever) "thanks in the credits" level. That's it. No $5 for an exclusive walpaper or $15 for the game, or $40 for the game with special skins or whatever. Just $1 for the thanks. So he needs 1500 backers. (I'm not looking up the symbol for UK-dollars in character mapper to mock this, so just substitute in your head).

Of course that's all a sideshow to the C&D he's going to get from Nindendos like right this instant.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Nothing says quality like an ill-fitting banner.

Okemo! Great Advent

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

lovely pokemon kickstarter posted:

Everything except the locations, names and some minor aspects will be custom made by myself and my team, meaning that any references to copyrighted images/music etc will be invalid as it is our own creation.

Hasn't he already failed at calling it Pokemon Adventure? If it's all his creation why not "Small Pet Adventures" or something. If it was a good enough game it could stand on it's own merits. :colbert:

and this:

lovely pokemon kickstarter posted:

However, I will try my best to make an arrangement with Nintendo should the need arise.

Isn't that cute. Jake Smith will negotiate and work out a deal with Nintendo for his lovely game. :allears:

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2049720063/praising-the-sun-with-gloriously-incandescent-appa
There's literally multiple dozens of companies that will print any image on a t-shirt or hoodie of your choice. And he's not remotely related to From Software, just profiting off their IP because "I'm a fan!"
:suicide:

From the drat project itself posted:

Slim fit, cotton poly blend, custom designed and custom manufactured with high quality materials and construction, fancy sublimated artwork, super nice, super comfy, super limited edition, super super.

Hmmm... now that makes no sense at all.. "Cotton Poly Blend" and "fancy sublimated artwork" do not go together. You cannot sublimate ink onto cotton, and sublimating onto cotton/poly looks like dog poo poo. If it isn't 100% poly, it looks like turds.

He's paid some jackass who owns a textile mill to whip up some hoodies made of CoPo remnants, and then made the body out of 100% poly. Yeah, that'll work. See what happens the first time someone puts it in the washing machine. It'll be like wearing compression socks on your arms, and a weather baloon on your chest. There's a reason the Jews said not to wear clothing of mixed cloth. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the original hoodie was screen printed onto a single type of fabric.

He's got $6.00 (max) cost in each hoodie, and the slim-fit design will keep his weight down to where he can ship via UPSMI for about $4.00 each.

He's making out like a bandit. Stay tuned for next year when he's run out of money again and posts a lovely Assassin's Creed hoodie or some poo poo.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sigmo-talk-and-understand-in-more-than-25-languages

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Speaking of Indiegogo scams...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
How much would Indiegogo be liable for essentially helping to launder a million dollars to Russian con artists? They can't claim ignorance because even the "company claims to be based in SF, which is a front because it'd ascutally a Russian group" looks to be pretty clear and easy to confirm.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012

Install Windows posted:

Pretty sure it's down to him getting a drink provider contract signed, those tend to have bonuses for getting your food place set up so they can start charging you for sodas and poo poo.

It'll be Bob's Burgers, but in real life.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

There is no limit to how much funding you can get for things that sound cool, but are obviously technically impossible.

Seriously, if this could be done, there would be an app on every phone for it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Evil Fluffy posted:

How much would Indiegogo be liable for essentially helping to launder a million dollars to Russian con artists? They can't claim ignorance because even the "company claims to be based in SF, which is a front because it'd ascutally a Russian group" looks to be pretty clear and easy to confirm.

It's not likely laundering though, right? Just a good old fashioned scam. I bet people will even get some sort of (cheaply produced) product that gives vaguely plausible readings on calories and stuff, even if it's based on total nonsense.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Xandu posted:

It's not likely laundering though, right? Just a good old fashioned scam. I bet people will even get some sort of (cheaply produced) product that gives vaguely plausible readings on calories and stuff, even if it's based on total nonsense.
They'll probably just program it to say everybody is eating 3,000 calories per day, getting zero exercise, has high blood pressure, and gets too much sodium. I guess technically they'd be right, no?

So no scam? We cool?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Give me money so I won't have to get a full time job. Oh, and I do youtube videos.

qq posted:

My project is simple. To get my You Tube Channel going and try to get on the front page of You Tube. I will get there eventually, but having to work a full time job and not having enough time to make videos will cause me to take so much longer to get there. Kids now a days have all the time in the world because they still live with their parents. Well I have 4 children to support and don't have that luxury

quote:

Videos are mostly of my gameplay of Battlefield 4 and Madden ATM

Will branch off to making Crazy Rants (Hopefully comical)
Talk about low-hanging fruit!

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

This has to be a money laundering thing, right? I mean they didn't even demo the product.. how does it get $250k?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

4 kids? Jesus Christ dude stop trying to be a youtube superstar and focus on being a good provider.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

Isn't that cute. Jake Smith will negotiate and work out a deal with Nintendo for his lovely game. :allears:

It looks like Jake's deal with Nintendo went as well as expected. I'm sure all two of his backers are deeply aggrieved by the whole affair.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Autechresaint posted:

This has to be a money laundering thing, right? I mean they didn't even demo the product.. how does it get $250k?

OUYA didn't have anything close to a working prototype, yet it still raked in millions.

Though to be fair, they weren't promising anything blatantly unfeasible with today's technology.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rosalind posted:

4 kids? Jesus Christ dude stop trying to be a youtube superstar and focus on being a good provider.

Uh, obviously that's what the kickster is for.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Bearserker posted:

It looks like Jake's deal with Nintendo went as well as expected. I'm sure all two of his backers are deeply aggrieved by the whole affair.

The best part of it is that it led me to Kickstarter's archive of DMCA takedown requests -- there is some amazing poo poo there. People trying to kickstart private servers for MMORPGs. People trying to kickstart ROM hacks / remakes of Zelda and Ghosts N Goblins. People trying to pass off open-source hardware projects as private designs, and just photoshopping the silkscreens. I wish some of these project pages were archived so we could see just how scammy they were before the takedown.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Noyemi K posted:

Give me money so I won't have to get a full time job. Oh, and I do youtube videos.

Talk about low-hanging fruit!

Well he even provides his own solution. Get his children to make the videos and get Internet famous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ullerrm posted:

The best part of it is that it led me to Kickstarter's archive of DMCA takedown requests -- there is some amazing poo poo there. People trying to kickstart private servers for MMORPGs. People trying to kickstart ROM hacks / remakes of Zelda and Ghosts N Goblins. People trying to pass off open-source hardware projects as private designs, and just photoshopping the silkscreens. I wish some of these project pages were archived so we could see just how scammy they were before the takedown.

https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/the-pokedek-pokemon-themed-playing-cards-submitted-by-the-pokemo

https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/heroquest-25th-anniversary-canceled-submitted-by-private

"Despite being explicitly refused permission to use our trademark, Gamezone went ahead and launched this Kickstarter in the United States. Yesterday, I sent an email to Gamezone asking them to respond to their violation within 24 hours - beyond acknowledging receipt of the email, we've received nothing from them."