Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

VagueRant posted:

I reckon First Class will remain the only good (and it's barely good) X-Men movie. :colbert:

First Class was good because it didn't have Wolverine in it. He's a relic of the gritty anti-hero 90's well past his prime that has no business being the central character in everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is pretty fun to watch, I think. Also he was in First Class and it was a pretty great cameo. :colbert:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hugh Jackman is great but Wolverine is like the shittiest character and his ongoing popularity is baffling to me. He's pretty much a character that 5 year old comes up with when he's playing pretend that can't be hurt by anything because he's just so awesome combined with what a 12 year old thinks is badass.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

axleblaze posted:

Hugh Jackman is great but Wolverine is like the shittiest character and his ongoing popularity is baffling to me. He's pretty much a character that 5 year old comes up with when he's playing pretend that can't be hurt by anything because he's just so awesome combined with what a 12 year old thinks is badass.

So you're baffled that a character perfectly engineered to appeal to boys drives the popularity of a movie franchise for adolescents?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Hugh Jackman is great but __________ is like the shittiest character and his ongoing popularity is baffling to me. He's pretty much a character that 5 year old comes up with when he's playing pretend that ______ ______ ______ because he's just so awesome combined with what a 12 year old thinks is badass.
:goonsay:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DNS posted:

So you're baffled that a character perfectly engineered to appeal to boys drives the popularity of a movie franchise for adolescents?

I suppose I can't really argue with that, though I think his appeal somehow goes beyond just that group, which is what baffles me.

In the end I don't really care about X-men and poo poo like that (it took me a while to even bother to watch First Class, which I enjoyed way more than I was expecting). It's just I find that one Wolverine to be an aggressively dull character and making him the central character again has kind of dulled what little enthusiasm I possibly could have had about the movie.

You sure showed me :rolleyes:

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

axleblaze posted:

I suppose I can't really argue with that, though I think his appeal somehow goes beyond just that group, which is what baffles me.

In the end I don't really care about X-men and poo poo like that (it took me a while to even bother to watch First Class, which I enjoyed way more than I was expecting). It's just I find that one Wolverine to be an aggressively dull character and making him the central character again has kind of dulled what little enthusiasm I possibly could have had about the movie.

Its not that I have anything against the Wolferine (I think hes pretty cool) but the x-movies often feel like they dont put enough effort into balancing the ensemble, and his popularity gives them an excuse not to. But it'd be way more interesting if they didn't rely on him as much.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wolverine is the only character in X-Men (2000, not the entire multimedia franchise) primarily concerned with not looking like a dumbass and that's why he's cool.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

:allears: This is amazing. His face looks like a blob.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wolverine is the only character in X-Men (2000, not the entire multimedia franchise) primarily concerned with not looking like a dumbass and that's why he's cool.

Yeah, the first two X-Men movies are the best I've seen the character used, so I trust that Singer and Jackman kind of have a lock on the guy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The only thing that keeps The Wolverine and Origins from being flat out bad movies is Jackman.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Less posts, more posters!
42: I'm here to post Rowdy Roddy Piper posters and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum. and posters.

"Hey, watcha doin?" "Just hanging around, I guess"

The Bad Pack...

... of actors

Filmed during the later part of Sonny Chiba's career, when he mostly played miniature blonde beefcakes that fart lightening.

Back In Action

which came out 2 years before...

in which the team saves on cab fare by running to crime scenes.

Tawny Kitaen just shot a cigarette out of Roddy's Mouth

Everyone seems worried about the killer alien except for that girl, who is too busy giving me the goo-goo eye.

Ground? Check. Jungle? Nope.

Last to Surrender

Also last to figure out which piece of text is the title

Roddy is slightly too tall for this movie and has to spend the entire time hunched over.

Sci-Fighters

I don't remember this happening in 2009.

"Say one more thing about my mascara"

Hacksaw seems genuinely surprised to see Roddy kissing a female. A flashback to locker room antics, perhaps?

Well according to the bottom right frame, you just get in the car and drive there.

"Yeah, someone here ordered a bad actress?"

Beating each other up in an alleyway for 15 minutes is the only true path to being BFFs.

Roddy approves this Mondo poster. Who are you to disagree?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

And Don "The Dragon" Wilson together with "Rowdy" Roddy Piper? How could Terminal Rush be less than great?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Was "Rowdy" Roddy Piper in anything worth watching besides They Live?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Improbable Lobster posted:

Was "Rowdy" Roddy Piper in anything worth watching besides They Live?

Hell Comes To Frogtown.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ShufflerZero posted:

Well according to the bottom right frame, you just get in the car and drive there.

:wtf: Is this Rowdy Roddy Piper in a like serious family drama?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ShufflerZero posted:

Filmed during the later part of Sonny Chiba's career, when he mostly played miniature blonde beefcakes that fart lightening.

Back In Action

which came out 2 years before...

in which the team saves on cab fare by running to crime scenes.

Ground? Check. Jungle? Nope.

Sci-Fighters

I don't remember this happening in 2009.

Thank you so much for reminding me of these totally rad movies of my childhood. Immortal Combat also stars Meg Foster (Evil Lynn from Masters of the Universe and of course They Live also) :3:

Speaking of Billy Blanks...

This movie totally owned when I was young, I need to track it down and see how bad/awesome it is now.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Daryl Dorge.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Bronx sure looks different then the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"How about let's make the whole world metal." Japanese live action cyberpunk owns. It's immediately primal, bleak stuff that has more in common structurally and thematically with Eraserhead or Videodrome than with Blade Runner or Akira. We only really hear about Tetsuo: The Iron Man and its follow up Tetsuo III: The Bullet Man in the US but it's worth checking out Tetsuo II: Body Hammer, Burst City, Death Powder, Rubber's Lover, etc. It's worth just google image searching the titles for the imagery even if you don't plan on checking out the movies themselves.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 6, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It took me a moment to realize what this actually was...

Burst City's great by the way, but it's less body horror and more punk. It's mostly about a feral biker, his young mute ward and a punk rock band fighting off Yakuza and the police to preserve their haven of anarchy from being bulldozed. If you've wanted to see a movie that's essentially the opening biker gang chase and riot in Akira stretched out into a feature length film, then that's Burst City.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ShufflerZero posted:

"Yeah, someone here ordered a bad actress?"

Holy poo poo, that frog is wearing a goddamn eyepatch!

I need to see this movie now.

Also need to see this. It looks like the most insane movie ever made.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeJackal posted:

First Class was good because it didn't have Wolverine in it. He's a relic of the gritty anti-hero 90's well past his prime that has no business being the central character in everything.

Well it did, but it was a pretty good cameo.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Neo Rasa posted:

"How about let's make the whole world metal." Japanese live action cyberpunk owns. It's immediately primal, bleak stuff that has more in common structurally and thematically with Eraserhead or Videodrome than with Blade Runner or Akira. We only really hear about Tetsuo: The Iron Man and its follow up Tetsuo III: The Bullet Man in the US but it's worth checking out Tetsuo II: Body Hammer, Burst City, Death Powder, Rubber's Lover, etc. It's worth just google image searching the titles for the imagery even if you don't plan on checking out the movies themselves.

Here's an alternate cover for Rubber's Lover and a mark free Pinocchio 964

I saw them many years ago but hardly remember any of it. Which is strange, because these films tend to have some memorable imagery.

Off topic, but has anyone seen either of these and are they worth seeing? This genre treads an fine line between greatness and garbage, and I'd rather not waste time on the latter.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

"Alone, they're unstoppable. Together, they're invincible." is some terrific nonsense.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Quick now put him in the Into Darkness wreckage

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

This movie totally owned when I was young, I need to track it down and see how bad/awesome it is now.

Here you go, mate.

http://www.amazon.com/Talons-Eagle-Priscilla-Barnes/dp/B00030WW5S/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1396767103&sr=1-1

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

nippon nifties posted:

But make the background beyond the wreckage the background of The Croods poster.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Gorilla Salad posted:

Holy poo poo, that frog is wearing a goddamn eyepatch!

I need to see this movie now.

Just don't watch the sequels.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

nippon nifties posted:

Change Russell Crowe to Hugh Jackman.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

nippon nifties posted:

Pingiivi posted:

Change Russell Crowe to Hugh Jackman.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

But make the background beyond the wreckage the background of The Croods poster.

I tried, I really did, but this would be impossible unless I spent hours cutting out the background :(

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 6, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Roddy Piper is the coolest guy ever. He said before the They Live screening he's never seen the film in the theater, so I replied to him when I met him that I haven't either. He assumed I never saw the film, and all the compliments I gave him were just based on him or something. But it was still awesome.

HOLY poo poo ahhaha. Professor X makes it the best poster I've ever seen. Make something for my Adam Sandler thread right loving now.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

CelticPredator posted:

HOLY poo poo ahhaha. Professor X makes it the best poster I've ever seen. Make something for my Adam Sandler thread right loving now.

He was in the other one too, I was a little sad nobody pointed it out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did not see the other one. Now that I have, I am sad as well. Brilliant.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lady Naga posted:

I tried, I really did, but this would be impossible unless I spent hours cutting out the background :(

No problem, this is really funny.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This is incredible. I'm so glad this happened.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

This poster owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
A movie with Piper, Jonathan Davis, Billy Duffy and Jenna Jameson. Too bad it will probably never get released.

It isn't even listed on IMDB any more as far as I can tell.