Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

The Denon AVR X1000 is notable for having MultiEQ XT, which is rare for your price range. To get the next step up (MultiEQ XT32), you're looking at >$1000.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pag...rx1000(denonna)

It also has built-in audio apps (Pandora, Spotify, etc.), which is what I meant by "streaming". You can hook a Roku up to anything.

Only has 1 subwoofer output. You can still use 2 subs with a splitter cable, unless you want two separate subwoofer channels for some reason.

No composite inputs, but if your only sources are HDMI, that shouldn't matter.

Awesome went with this through amazon. Paid 450 plus it came with a 50 dollar amazon certificate. So 400. Not too shabby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's about that time of year again, the new models of A/V gear are coming out so if you are in the market keep your eyes peeled. I just got an email from Yamaha about the x77 series receivers coming out, so I would expect the x75 to start going on clearance pretty soon.

Also if the guy looking for the SP-C22 is still reading this thread, Fry's has them for 59.99 this week if you have one close to you. If not you can try to get Amazon or someone online to pricematch. Amazon's selling them right now for 66.99 which is a great deal as well.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

I'm sure this is already common knowledge, but Martin Logan's customer service seriously owns.

That issue I was having with the speaker? Yep, I called them up and within 5 minutes he's like "Yep I'll test one today and send it out, should be there on Monday!" he just confirmed my address on my ML account and that was it.

A+ 10/10 oh and I don't even have to ship a drat thing here or there. He just told me that if anything, I should just destroy the old speaker.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I'm sure this is already common knowledge, but Martin Logan's customer service seriously owns.

That issue I was having with the speaker? Yep, I called them up and within 5 minutes he's like "Yep I'll test one today and send it out, should be there on Monday!" he just confirmed my address on my ML account and that was it.

A+ 10/10 oh and I don't even have to ship a drat thing here or there. He just told me that if anything, I should just destroy the old speaker.

I love this kinda service. I'm even satisfied when they send me a box to return things in.

gently caress those pay both ways fuckers.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
How are Pyle speakers?

http://www.woot.com/plus/pyle-home-theater-upgrades?ref=cnt_wp_8

I'm hesitant to believe they're any good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MickRaider posted:

How are Pyle speakers?

http://www.woot.com/plus/pyle-home-theater-upgrades?ref=cnt_wp_8

I'm hesitant to believe they're any good.

They make noise, I guess that's a plus.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

MickRaider posted:

How are Pyle speakers?

All of that gear is crap, even at that price.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Hob_Gadling posted:

All of that gear is crap, even at that price.

Thought as much, thanks for the confirmation

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Those McIntosh line array speakers aren't audiophile voodoo poo poo. They're probably expensive, but they're sealed aluminum enclosure line-arrays. The sound from them is probably very good from all angles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Those McIntosh line array speakers aren't audiophile voodoo poo poo. They're probably expensive, but they're sealed aluminum enclosure line-arrays. The sound from them is probably very good from all angles.

Oh, I know. McIntosh has some insanely talented engineers. There's just a line where things start to get a little too :shepspends: not to laugh at.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been meaning to step up in the audio department since moving out, but just kind of never got to it. The best 5.1 set of speakers $100 could buy is now used with the projector, and for the PC, I'm just using my Etymotic IEMs or a headset in place of those speakers.

I wasn't really planning on doing something right now, but some interesting B&W speakers showed up on a local ebay equivalent and I'm thinking it might be good time to pull the trigger on one of them:

1. DM309, currently at $300 with no bids and 3 days to go

http://www.bwgroupsupport.com/downloads/specsheets/bw/DM309%20InfoSheet.pdf
2. DM601s2, at $400 with no bids and 1 day to go

also another lot with a central CC6s2 speaker, but that puts me over what I'd like to spend now.

So first is a practical question - would having speakers like these in an apartment significantly limit their potential, perhaps enough to make them overkill for the situation? The walls aren't paper thin but I can still sometimes hear a baby screaming from somewhere.

Secondly, which option would you guys say is the better value/money? The 309 seems like an ancient model, but also much more discounted from original price and probably still more than good enough for my purposes: movies (I can deal with stereo only for a while), music, hopefully my shredding soon. If I were to get the 601s, I'd probably use the with the PC for music, games, mainly.

Any opinions on these? Are there any new speakers in the price range that could be as good or better? I'm not in the US so poo poo's a bit more expensive here generally. Also, these being used and in a different city makes actually listening to them quite problematic, unfortunately. Thanks!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

also another lot with a central CC6s2 speaker, but that puts me over what I'd like to spend now.

Just out of curiosity, how much extra for the CC? And are those series 2 or 3? What amp do you have, or intend to get? What's your main interest (music, movies, PC, something else)?

I would pass the DM309. They may be good speakers for the price, but DM601 are simply good speakers. They'll sound nice on low volumes, so you don't have to worry about cranking them up if you don't want to. If movies are your primary use you'll want to get the CC as soon as possible and a receiver that works in home theater.

quote:

Are there any new speakers in the price range that could be as good or better?

That's an impossible question. There might be.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Stugazi posted:

My new setup has a hum which seems to be mostly present and can vary according to what picture is displayed on my TV.

Put in a new Furman line conditioner and no dice. Ordered new cables today.

Wouldn't be so bad except my Sharp TV also refuses to play nice with my Chromecast so despite my efforts to upgrade my AV it has been more frustration than reward. :(

Seem to have stumbled on the fix. Over modulation was the issue. I turned down the picture brightness and the hum is gone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hob_Gadling posted:

Just out of curiosity, how much extra for the CC? And are those series 2 or 3? What amp do you have, or intend to get? What's your main interest (music, movies, PC, something else)?

I would pass the DM309. They may be good speakers for the price, but DM601 are simply good speakers. They'll sound nice on low volumes, so you don't have to worry about cranking them up if you don't want to. If movies are your primary use you'll want to get the CC as soon as possible and a receiver that works in home theater.
The CC is an extra $230 or so. All of them seem to be S2s.

I don't have a stand alone amp yet (the 5.1 set has it built in) but would be looking at picking something up. I was considering an Onkyo like HT-R558 or whatever used deal pops up. I only really need on input from my HTPC and sufficient power. Bluetooth or WiFi would be a nice extra but I wouldn't want to pay a premium for it.

I can't really pin down a single main interest - first it'd depend on whether I end up putting them in the living room, where they'd be used equally for movies, music and some light gaming. For this, I guess I'd really need the CC and speaker stands (+$150). If I put them with my PC, then it'll be music, games, and (perhaps, if I ever get good enough) part of recording process for my electric guitar experiments. So yeah, this probably doesn't help narrow anything down :).

Hob_Gadling posted:

That's an impossible question. There might be.
It was worth a try -- I mean if I was looking to pick up an ancient Trinitron off ebay, telling me to just get a new Dell LCD would be a perfectly valid response :). I just don't have the sufficient overview of the audio market tell if perhaps today's budget speakers are generally as good as the higher-end stuff from 10 years ago.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

So yeah, this probably doesn't help narrow anything down :).

Decide the room first, then get the CC and home theater receiver if you happened to choose the living room. Otherwise you can go with a stereo amp and no CC.

quote:

I just don't have the sufficient overview of the audio market tell if perhaps today's budget speakers are generally as good as the higher-end stuff from 10 years ago.

Oh, right. No, no they're not. Good speakers are good for a long time. They're less like electronics and more like instruments in this regard. Receivers and such age quicker, especially on home theater side of things, but quality is quality. I think we had a couple people in this thread who had 30-40 year old stereo setups for vinyl? That said, really old speakers can sound different. Not bad, but different. They also don't last forever so around 30 years (depending on storage) you may have to start replacing parts.

10 years is no big deal for good speakers but it shows in electronics. If you're building a home theater get a modern receiver with enough HDMI inputs and features for your liking. Those are hard to add later.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, good speakers are good speakers and there haven't been many advancements since the 40's and 50's. Most of the fundamental work done to establish what makes a good speaker was done by Bell and AT&T and similar companies in the 30's.

The issue with old speakers is the foam surrounds in the drivers can begin to rot, and capacitors in the crossover networks can leak and not work properly anymore.

This is why with maintenance, people are still paying top dollar for quality cabinets for things like Klipsch La Scala

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh jeebus, I missed the DM601 deadline but they now have 603 S2s. They're not that much more than the DM601 + CC but we're already at $800 :negative:

Anyway, thanks for your input. I'll probably wait until the DM601s show up and try to haggle a bit, as nobody bid on them the last time.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Just setup some Pioneer FS52 and I can vouch that these are indeed legit as gently caress speakers for $89 each.

The imaging and balance is impressive. I am going back forth with Polk RTI A3's plus sub and the Pioneers are sonically equal to possibly having a slight edge.

I am happy they sound great and kinda butthurt they are edging my Polks.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

If you get a system based on what you learn in this thread and what is recommended here, pay it back. Tell us what you got and what your system sounds like when you set it up. We all are interested in what you think. Really.

I got some advice a while back in the thread and eventually got something a bit different, but thought I'd share in case anyone else is looking, particularly for speakers around the £500 mark in the UK / Europe.

I started looking at standmounts but realised after a while that small floormounts basically take up the same amount of room in your lounge as standmounts on their stands.

I first trialled some Q Acoustics Concept 20s against Dali Zensor 5:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/q-acoustics-concept-20
http://www.whathifi.com/review/dali-zensor-5

I was really surprised by what I heard - the Dalis were better in every possible way. It really was no contest; the Q Acoustics sounded terrible in comparison. I played a few bassy songs and the Q Acoustics couldn't handle it at all; sounded awful in comparison at the same volume. You might say this is obvious as the Dalis are £150 more expensive, but once you buy the stands for the Q Acoustics they're the same price.

I went back another day and trialled the Dalis against a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX-5.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Monitor-Audio-Bronze-BX5/

This was a much closer call, and felt much more down to personal preference. The BX-5s were bassier, but the Dalis sounded clearer and more accurate. In the end I got the Dalis (about a month ago) and was glad of it; just turning up the bass a little on the amp adds the equivalent extra oomph if needed, and the Dalis sound better (to me) for vocal stuff (i.e TV and movies).

Got a Marantz 6005 amp - didn't seem to be much choice at that price point. I considered getting a receiver instead but there didn't seem much point as I only have 2 speakers and I have an HTPC so don't need the network app function of modern receivers.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-pm6005

Got it hooked up with all my media (HTPC, Digital TV, PS3) going into my TV via HDMI, then optical out from the TV to the amp. So theoretically all digitally connected.

It sounds great, really loads better than my previous setup (£50 2.1 speakers I've had for about 10 years), and looks pretty good in the lounge too.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
So, I'm getting a new receiver. I've narrowed it down to three models:

Denon AVR-1913 ($400 shipped)
Denon AVR-X1000 ($450 shipped)
Denon AVR-2113 ($500 shipped)

I will be running a 5.1 setup, and the 7.1 models would be nice to have as they can use two channels as a second zone. This isn't required, however, as I've never had that option available. A big feature that I am looking forward to is the dynamic volume adjustment and such - all the Audyssey stuff. It looks like these have some different levels of that stuff.

Are there any other standout features that should be accounted for in my decision, or other things to consider?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GTO posted:

I first trialled some Q Acoustics Concept 20s against Dali Zensor 5:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/q-acoustics-concept-20
http://www.whathifi.com/review/dali-zensor-5

I was really surprised by what I heard - the Dalis were better in every possible way. It really was no contest; the Q Acoustics sounded terrible in comparison. I played a few bassy songs and the Q Acoustics couldn't handle it at all; sounded awful in comparison at the same volume. You might say this is obvious as the Dalis are £150 more expensive, but once you buy the stands for the Q Acoustics they're the same price.

This is one of the reasons I'm looking for something with over a 5" woofer, I've owned good satellites and at this point I can hear what's lacking in them even with a sub. For me it's low listening volume sounding "tinny". I think one of the shops near me carries Dali, I should see if they have the Zensor 3.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm looking at purchasing my first Hi-Fi system, and after a bit of research, and listening I'm fairly happy with what I've narrowed it down to:

The new B&W 685 S2 for speakers, connected to the ASW 610 Sub, and being driven by the Rotel RA-12.

I tried the new 686's in New York last week (I'm an AU resident, so realise prices are different here), running off the RA-12, and really loved the sound. It was beautiful. They'll be sourced from a Pro-Ject Essential II turntable.

Can anyone see any weakness here, or anything glaringly bad? I'm only just getting into the dedicated audio world, and am looking for something that has the potential to last me a while, and I really enjoy both that sound and aesthetic of the B&W / Rotel combo. It's a fairly small room, so I wouldn't need to be belting it out.

edit: If someone could point me in the direction for wiring suitable for this setup, it'd be great, I know very little.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 8, 2014

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

CaseFace McGee posted:

So, I'm getting a new receiver. I've narrowed it down to three models:

Denon AVR-1913 ($400 shipped)
Denon AVR-X1000 ($450 shipped)
Denon AVR-2113 ($500 shipped)

I will be running a 5.1 setup, and the 7.1 models would be nice to have as they can use two channels as a second zone. This isn't required, however, as I've never had that option available. A big feature that I am looking forward to is the dynamic volume adjustment and such - all the Audyssey stuff. It looks like these have some different levels of that stuff.

Are there any other standout features that should be accounted for in my decision, or other things to consider?

X1000 has an extra year of warranty. AVS has a good X series thread that details the changes between model years that is worth looking at if you haven't already and need help deciding between those you have listed.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Raymn posted:

X1000 has an extra year of warranty. AVS has a good X series thread that details the changes between model years that is worth looking at if you haven't already and need help deciding between those you have listed.

That's really helpful, thanks. I ended up ordering the 2113 late last night after some more research. This morning, I got an email saying the vendor wasn't carrying it anymore, but they would upgrade me to the x2000 for free if that was okay with me.

So I'm getting a cheap x2000 :tipshat:

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
This is what I'm considering for my first home audio system:

Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers composed of:

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Speakers - 126.99 for a pair
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Speaker - 96.99
Pioneer SW-8MK2 Sub - 156.99
Onkyo TX-NR616 Receiver - 329.99

Total: ~$711, plus whatever stands and wire and whatever else I need.

I would probably be using this mostly for games/movies, but also for parties at my house with friends. The system will be set up in my basement. I'm not sure if I should spring for the SP-FS52 Floor Speakers or not, especially if I want to have music playing in the basement that you can hear through the whole house. They're basically twice as expensive as the bookshelf speakers.

I'm not particularly interested in surround speakers, but if I did get them I would probably get the SP-BS21 speakers from the previous year since they are less than half as expensive.

How does this look? I know next to nothing about audio systems and will probably not even be able to hook this all up on my own. How do I know if my receiver will be able to power all this stuff and/or is compatible?

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 11, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Are you located in the US? If so wait for a sale on those speakers. The floor standing speakers regularly go on sale for 90 bucks each or less and I've seen the bookshelves on sale for as little As 70 dollars for the pair. A good target price on those is under 90 for the pair. The target price on the center should be 70 dollars or less. If you have the space pop for the floor standing speakers.

Use the money you save on a nicer sub. The Polk 505 is an inexpensive but way better sub. You can find one one sale for 200 or so and it's worth it.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Yes I am in the US. This sub? http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000092TT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397222165&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+505

It's on sale for 200 right now.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

sighnoceros posted:

The set looks good in general. A few notes:

Check that your receiver has enough ports and features for your needs. Speaker stands tend to be pretty expensive and in your case may easily be more expensive than the speakers you're looking at. If you aren't wallmounting consider floorstanders instead. The price difference may work in your favor.

You need speaker wire (14 gauge) and I heartily recommend banana plugs. Monoprice is the usually suggested place, but you can probably get it from the same place you end up buying your speakers from. Budget about $30 for them and you should have more than enough.

The receiver works with the speakers just fine. Generally speaking all normal receivers work with all normal speakers. We're usually more interested in the quality of the sound than volume anyway.

Also seconding the suggestion to get a better sub since you don't have to worry about neighbors.

Yeast posted:

Can anyone see any weakness here, or anything glaringly bad?

No, that's a wonderful setup. You may want to give B&W CM5 a listen also, if you get the chance. I preferred them to 685s, but I haven't heard the new series yet.

quote:

edit: If someone could point me in the direction for wiring suitable for this setup, it'd be great, I know very little.

14ga wires, banana plugs, RCA to RCA for subwoofer. Doesn't need to be that expensive or hi-fi branded to sound good.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 11, 2014

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Actually can somebody help me understand the main differences between these two receivers:

Onkyo TX-NR616 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr616/onkyo-tx-nr616-7.2-ch-thx-certified-network-a/v-receiver/1.html
Onkyo TX-NR626 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr626/onkyo-tx-nr626-7.2-ch-network-a/v-receiver/1.html

They end up about the same price with shipping costs figured in, but the 616 is a more expensive system in general? The 616 has more inputs and it looks like slighty more power output, but doesn't have Wifi/Bluetooth built in. What would I even use those for if I have ethernet available and plan on hooking up a PC to the receiver?

There's also the extra zone management but I don't even know how that works and doubt I would be using it.

0zxy
Mar 21, 2011

sighnoceros posted:

Actually can somebody help me understand the main differences between these two receivers:

Onkyo TX-NR616 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr616/onkyo-tx-nr616-7.2-ch-thx-certified-network-a/v-receiver/1.html
Onkyo TX-NR626 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr626/onkyo-tx-nr626-7.2-ch-network-a/v-receiver/1.html

They end up about the same price with shipping costs figured in, but the 616 is a more expensive system in general? The 616 has more inputs and it looks like slighty more power output, but doesn't have Wifi/Bluetooth built in. What would I even use those for if I have ethernet available and plan on hooking up a PC to the receiver?

There's also the extra zone management but I don't even know how that works and doubt I would be using it.

This should help you make the decision: http://receivers.findthebest.com/compare/181-206/Onkyo-TX-NR616-vs-Onkyo-TX-NR626

Personally, I'd go with the 626 for the better features over the marginal loss of power. The only compelling reason I see for the 616 is the two additional HDMI inputs, but I don't think it's worth sacrificing the other features.

0zxy
Mar 21, 2011

sighnoceros posted:

This is what I'm considering for my first home audio system:

Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers composed of:

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Speakers - 126.99 for a pair
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Speaker - 96.99
Pioneer SW-8MK2 Sub - 156.99
Onkyo TX-NR616 Receiver - 329.99

I would probably be using this mostly for games/movies, but also for parties at my house with friends. The system will be set up in my basement. I'm not sure if I should spring for the SP-FS52 Floor Speakers or not, especially if I want to have music playing in the basement that you can hear through the whole house. They're basically twice as expensive as the bookshelf speakers.

You can use camelcamelcamel to track the price history. The floorstanding, center speaker, and bookshelves were on sale last month. I picked them up myself along with a Polk PSW10 and a Denon E300 so I'll try to shed some light on the difference between the two. I grabbed the bookshelves first and ran them as a 2.1 for a few weeks until the floors went on sale. It was a huge upgrade for me (from an old pair of 30 year old Nova 10s) and I really enjoyed it. When I got the floor speakers and moved the bookshelves to the back I was even more impressed. The sound is much clearer and the speakers don't sound like they're working as hard to be producing the same sound and it makes for a more enjoyable sound. If I could do it all over again I'd go firstly with a pair of the floorstanding speakers, grab a better sub to go with it (probably the BIC F12), ann then add a center channel and rears when they went on sale. The FS-22s would be fine on their own without a sub, but I really enjoy the extra oomph so YMMV when it comes to that.

What I'm getting at is yes, grab the floor's over the bookshelves. They go for as low as $86.99 each on Amazon. I got really lucky and picked mine up used from a guy on ebay for $129 for the pair so deals are out there. I just wanted to let you know about my hindsight from being in a nearly identical situation.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yup, that's the one.

Also hooking things up is no big deal. It's pretty easy to be honest.

Regarding a reciever, I know the Onkyo's get a lot of love in this thread, but I kept away from them with the HDMI board issues. I picked up a Yamaha 673 and have been very happy with it. The 673 was a 2012 model, that I bought early last year. The outgoing 2013 model, the 675 is on sale @ Amazon right now as well. 399 for brand new (2 year warranty) or 349 for factory refurbished (1 year warranty), both Prime shipping eligible. The YPAO isn't advanced as whatever Audyssey comes with the Onkyo, but generally Yamaha products have a good reliability track record. I've been very happy with mine.

I have the following, which is very similar to a few systems in this thread.

Yamaha 673 Reciever (349)
Pioneer FS-52LR speakers front L/R (90/ea)
Pioneer SP-C22 center (70)
Polk PSW505 sub (150 on a BF sale)

I used 12 GA speaker wire and banana plugs from Amazon, and HDMI cables from Monoprice (different colors for different devices). (70)

All told this was under 900 bucks (closer to 850) for everything and I consider it to be one of the best bang for the buck setups out there. I could add the bookshelves and do full 5.1 for another 100 bucks but I have no desire to run the rear cabling right now.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Going for the 626 for extra features was pretty much what I was thinking as well. But now I'm wondering if I should go for the Denon E300 like you mentioned, it looks like it's considerably more powerful and while it doesn't have a lot of the extra crazy multi-zone stuff and it's 5 HDMI inputs instead of 6 but I have been dealing with 2 on my TV for a long time and don't intend on getting any of the new consoles. So PS3, 360, PC, and STB is all I really have (and even the 360 is not mine and won't be hooked up all the time). Also, it's only 5.1 instead of 7.1 but I wasn't planning on getting 7 speakers anyway. Plus it looks like I might be able to get it for as low as $200 if I wait for another Amazon sale, as opposed to like $350 for the AR626.

So if that's the plan, then here would hopefully be the set-up, if I wait and pick them up when on sale:

Denon E300 - $200
SP-FS52 Floor speakers (x2) - ~$180
SP-C22 Center speaker - ~$70
BIC F12 Sub (comparison reviews seem to say this is better than the Polk 505) - ~$200
SP-BS22 Bookshelf speakers - ~$90

Total: $740, but that price INCLUDES rear speakers which the $711 price did not. Better speakers, better sub, simpler receiver.

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 11, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That looks good to me for a very nice budget setup. Figure another 60 bucks for cables and stuff and you have a killer setup for 800 bucks.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
So my Onkyo 709 I bought based off advice from this thread died recently. It was an open box, paid $500 for it I think. Took it to a shop, they can't fix it. Whatever.

I'd like to know what a good basic receiver to replace it is at this point, as its out of production. My budget is somewhat more limited right now. Doesn't need to have all sorts of fancy features but I would like something that will do justice to my Klipsch Reference RF-82s and matching center speaker. Right now I run an appletv and a blu-ray through the receiver, though we also have a combo VCR/DVD player that we use to play old novelty movies sometimes. Since I have an appletv it doesn't need to come loaded with apps or anything. Any suggestions on where to start, or at least what to avoid?

Thanks!!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

So my Onkyo 709 I bought based off advice from this thread died recently. It was an open box, paid $500 for it I think. Took it to a shop, they can't fix it. Whatever.

I'd like to know what a good basic receiver to replace it is at this point, as its out of production. My budget is somewhat more limited right now. Doesn't need to have all sorts of fancy features but I would like something that will do justice to my Klipsch Reference RF-82s and matching center speaker. Right now I run an appletv and a blu-ray through the receiver, though we also have a combo VCR/DVD player that we use to play old novelty movies sometimes. Since I have an appletv it doesn't need to come loaded with apps or anything. Any suggestions on where to start, or at least what to avoid?

Thanks!!

Did they say what was wrong with it? I might be willing to give you a little money for it if it's something I can fix with a soldering iron, a slow weekend, and a case of beer.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I'm almost certain we recommended you get it from accessories4less.com which is an authorized factory-reconditioned units dealer. 709 is not an entry-level model, so it can almost certainly be repaired by Onkyo. I'd try contacting Onkyo directly first before buying a new unit; no audio-related company wants to become known as the "breaks after warranty plus one week" brand. A few ways to do it:

Bother them on their Facebook page and see what happens. People on AVS Forums have gotten good results this way.

https://www.facebook.com/OnkyoUSA

If you want to give them a call or send a mail first:

http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/

Also, I think your receiver might be one of these. Check it out and bring it up if necessary.

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/product-recall-80305.html

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Y'know, I didn't think that might be the case. Told the shop to go ahead and dispose of it. I can call them on Monday to find out if they did, I suppose.

The issue was with the main board-- that was as technical as the discussion got. He told me it was a "computer controlled unit" whatever that means, and that he couldn't repair it because of that, and that he contacted Onkyo and they don't manufacture that part or whatever any more. If I can get it back I'll try the routes you recommended.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Try to replace it with another 709 if you can. Or step up to a refurbished 818. Although its loving shameful that any of these receivers fail.

Edit: there was a deal awhile back on the Pioneer Elite 57 or 63 or whatever. It was the top of the elite series from 2012 I believe, and IMO the best receiver available at any price.

If you can search this thread and mention of "pioneer elite" you should be able to find the link.

Pioneer's MCACC isn't up to par of Audyssey, but their d-class amp is very stout. It would be like running separate amps for your channels.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-82117433-L0J

Looks like its out of stock direct through newegg but if you search for the model in their search tool it shows up again for more money. Wonder if they can price match the old sale.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hob_Gadling posted:

14ga wires, banana plugs, RCA to RCA for subwoofer. Doesn't need to be that expensive or hi-fi branded to sound good.

Fantastic, thanks.