Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sirlin's the only person I know who ever took down a Kickstarter and "rebooted" it with Pandante (and was still ultimately successful), which might make for a useful story, if not an atypical definition of success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

homullus posted:

Assuming they're right about 20% going to fulfillment and taxes, it's $400k, or about $27,000 an episode. If I were a competent makeup person, lighting designer, script supervisor, post-production producer, sound guy, sound editor, whatever, I'd want money for working on a whole season of a show. Just assume each episode takes only a single day; it's not that weird to imagine somebody competent wanting over $1000 for half a month's work.

I'm not a fan of the show, but shows cost money.

Seriously the inevitable '$X?! WHAT A RIPOFF HOW IS THAT THE COST' posts for things like this always just translate to 'I'm assuming people work for free right and taxes don't exist?'. Like, the show is part of a network that's got a bunch of poo poo in it it's not just them putting a video camera on the table.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

signalnoise posted:

Holy poo poo :stare:

This guy could destroy a kickstarter panel

The guys that did Fleet and Fleet: Arctic Bounty would be a good pick too.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Yeah, I got nothin'

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/85321723/dogecards-such-fantastic-adventure-take-doge-to-th

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

If this gets funding I'm going to make a kickstarter for a game called Epic Munchkin Meme Fluxx: Electric Boogaloo just to make kickstarter cash. I'm not even mad this exists, I'm just disappointed.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you're interested Legendary Games is having a kickstarter focusing on mythic play for pathfinder. They've produced consistantly good mythic content for several small supplements before.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendarygames/mythic-mania-three-mythic-rulebooks-for-pathfinder

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Why can't I support this with dogecoins? :colbert:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Playtester Quotes:

"I didn't know what Doge was before I played, but it had shiny things and I feel like the game was made for me." - Samantha

"The best cryptocurrency and meme inspired game in exsistance" - Alex

"Amaze balls! Game is oodles of fun, easy to learn and exciting to play" - Liz

"Ok. That was fun, but I'm going to win this time, let's play again!" - Liz, during playtesting

"Hey. Check out the art for the first card! I don't often squee but when I do..." - Jeff to Alex

"[squee] You have every right to squee, sir" - Alex

"Let me think of something clever [to say about DogeCards]" - Vishal

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Request

I am making a panel for a convention talking about successful crowdfunded games. I've contacted the guys behind Dragon's Hoard, Boss Monster, and Devastation of Indines already and I have their support. What other traditional games makers should I contact that had successful crowdfunding, especially for games where I can give a very brief (like 5 minutes) demo of some of the game? I'd especially like wild successes and ideas that publishers really would never have gotten behind. Complete games here also, not stuff for modeling, painting, or tabletop RPG set pieces.

The updates for Dungeon Roll gave me the impression that the people involved with that one were really on the ball.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Seriously the inevitable '$X?! WHAT A RIPOFF HOW IS THAT THE COST' posts for things like this always just translate to 'I'm assuming people work for free right and taxes don't exist?'. Like, the show is part of a network that's got a bunch of poo poo in it it's not just them putting a video camera on the table.

homullus' post was actually helpful for me to recognize Tabletop is produced more professionally done than I was thinking. Your post was just snide bullshit.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…even so, 27k an episode sounds ridiculously high for what comes out at the end. Even if they cost $1000 an episode (rather than for half a month's work), that would pay for a staff of 27. Even if we count things like rent and equipment and utilities as one person each, it's just a huge amount of people for a silly high price a head.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tippis posted:

…even so, 27k an episode sounds ridiculously high for what comes out at the end. Even if they cost $1000 an episode (rather than for half a month's work), that would pay for a staff of 27. Even if we count things like rent and equipment and utilities as one person each, it's just a huge amount of people for a silly high price a head.

I won't pretend I know the rates for stuff, but the problem is TT doesn't look like it needs that much money to be produced. It might have made sense for them to layout what production costs actually are, or at least a rough estimate.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Crackbone posted:

I won't pretend I know the rates for stuff, but the problem is TT doesn't look like it needs that much money to be produced. It might have made sense for them to layout what production costs actually are, or at least a rough estimate.

He is almost halfway there in a day, I suspect he doesn't give a poo poo about giving a detailed precis on every element of production. That said it is weird to me that every time this sort of thing comes up it breaks down into some kind of contest to see who could make the most bare bones production while the crew existed on rice and beans and rat meat. Wheaton wants half a million dollars so he can make some bank off of this in addition to producing it. It is sort of the point of selling things or producing things. As per usual, I am gonna forward further discussion on how immoral wanting to make money on games or whatever is to the Industry thread, where people who have nothing to do with video production are free to post detailed spreadsheets of how much things cost based on their ten minutes of googling. That said, the argument in this thread has devolved into petty sniping so y'all are free to knock it off.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

VoodooXT posted:

Jamey Stegmeier of Stonemeier Games

His blog by itself is pretty much a textbook on Kickstarting games. I'd suggest just reading that before you go into asking him (or, really, anyone else) questions.

http://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Memnaelar posted:

His blog by itself is pretty much a textbook on Kickstarting games. I'd suggest just reading that before you go into asking him (or, really, anyone else) questions.

Yeah I had no idea anyone had done this much work on the subject. I mean drat

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Do you think it might be worthwhile to have a panelist with an unsuccessful (or barely-successful) kickstarter? Maybe not Doom that Came to Atlantic City levels of catastrophic failure, but you can generally learn a lot more from mistakes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

moths posted:

Do you think it might be worthwhile to have a panelist with an unsuccessful (or barely-successful) kickstarter? Maybe not Doom that Came to Atlantic City levels of catastrophic failure, but you can generally learn a lot more from mistakes.

If I was able to get them as actual panelists, sure. Right now what most of them are providing is videos and free copies of games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Memnaelar posted:

That looks like a really cool read. Like, I'm gonna, at best, skim it but that's good that there's some resource that's just this big tome of Kickstarting given how big it's gotten.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

moths posted:

What happened?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
With The Doom That Came to Atlantic City? The guy that Keith Baker was working with who he entrusted with the production/distribution side of things took all the Kickstarter money and basically spent it on a completely unrelated venture while Baker and the other person working on the project thought that he was simply having the game produced. Here's an article that sums it up. It raised $122,000, Keith Baker saw none of it, and there's zero chance that any of the backers will ever get their money back since the guy who blew it all has a history of sketchy business practices.

The happy ending is that Cryptozoic Games stepped up and said that they'd actually produce the game anyway. It won't be the super-deluxe version some people pledged for but it's at least getting made.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I have no idea if this is the correct place to post this, since the project I'm plugging is gaming-related, rather than an actual game. I'll totally remove this if it's inappropriate.

The company I work for, Pulp Gamer Media, is kickstarting a new webseries and book called Satyr Stein Homebrew. It's a show about creating fantasy, science-fiction, and table gaming themed beer.

And no, we're not just trying to stick the word "dwarf" on a bathroom still and rake in that sweet nerd cash. The show's host, Don Dehm, is an old SCA hand and works in medieval European traditions. He and his crew are trying to put as much research as possible into the recipes for regional, period, and thematic accuracy. We're also trying to pair our beer recipes with appropriate dishes for themed game evenings--like LARPs, SCA events, convention parties, live games like Betrayer's Banquet, etc. Or if you're just feeling cheeky and want to serve authentic mead to your players during the Royal Banquet or whatever to set the mood.

I don't even know. I play with the sort of people who Pinterest their D&D props and dress up for Wasteland Weekend. Maybe we're too niche a market?

Maybe take a look, see if this sort of thing is relevant to your interests?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Kai Tave posted:

With The Doom That Came to Atlantic City? The guy that Keith Baker was working with who he entrusted with the production/distribution side of things took all the Kickstarter money and basically spent it on a completely unrelated venture while Baker and the other person working on the project thought that he was simply having the game produced. Here's an article that sums it up. It raised $122,000, Keith Baker saw none of it, and there's zero chance that any of the backers will ever get their money back since the guy who blew it all has a history of sketchy business practices.

The happy ending is that Cryptozoic Games stepped up and said that they'd actually produce the game anyway. It won't be the super-deluxe version some people pledged for but it's at least getting made.

They've already done so, in fact. I received my copy in Australia a few weeks ago.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I just checked the Kickstarter page and saw that copies have been going out.

Meanwhile, the last post by the guy who stole all the money is from about six months ago talking about how he's busy sending out refunds, while pretty much every comment on the update is people saying they haven't gotten, and don't expect to receive, their refunds.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

signalnoise posted:

Request

I am making a panel for a convention talking about successful crowdfunded games. I've contacted the guys behind Dragon's Hoard, Boss Monster, and Devastation of Indines already and I have their support. What other traditional games makers should I contact that had successful crowdfunding, especially for games where I can give a very brief (like 5 minutes) demo of some of the game? I'd especially like wild successes and ideas that publishers really would never have gotten behind. Complete games here also, not stuff for modeling, painting, or tabletop RPG set pieces.

James Ernest of Cheapass Games, he's had several successful kickstarters and they just did a wildly successful $300k kickstarter for a pub style card game called Pairs. He's entertaining as all hell and presents great demos.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

signalnoise posted:

Request

A few recent/ongoing Kickstarters from my backed list that I don't think have been mentioned:
Coup Reformation (also The Resistance games)
Fief: France 1429 (also 1775:Rebellion and Freedom: The Underground Railroad)
Tiny Epic Kingdoms
Among the Stars (Artipia Games, specifically. I don't think any of their products weren't on KS).

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Wait, what happened with this?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He posted a banme because he felt like his time was better spent on things other than the forums.

His twitter presence has since increased.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

moths posted:

He posted a banme because he felt like his time was better spent on things other than the forums.

His twitter presence has since increased.

...The gently caress?

When I got (temporarily) bored with Something Awful I just stopped posting. What's Mikan's deal?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Mikan really doesn't like some of the directions the forums have gone recently. So Mikan left rather than post about posting like a jackass. That's all. v:shobon:v

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

neongrey posted:

Mikan really doesn't like some of the directions the forums have gone recently. So Mikan left rather than post about posting like a jackass. That's all. v:shobon:v

Ah. Umm...If it's not out of line for me to ask, any links to any of his complaints? Just curious (and I don't have a premium account, so I can't scour poster histories.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

neongrey posted:

That... actually comes across as way more negative than he hopefully intends, alas. It's really too bad, he'll be missed.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That... actually comes across as way more negative than he hopefully intends, alas. It's really too bad, he'll be missed.

Did Mikan mean TradGames, too? Because in my humble opinion TradGames is one of the sanest, if not THE sanest, subforum on SomethingAwful.

Whether or not this is saying much is up for humorous debate, I suppose. :v:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
He has some stuff in his ask.fm about it, and from what I understood it was mostly the backpedaling of GBS and such.

Still, support his kickstarter he's cool.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Stop posting about posting about posting.

Instead, read this delightful comic about adventurers.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hey everyone who posted suggestions of people to ask about the panel, thanks a ton for your input. I actually went ahead and contacted Jamey Stegmaier already and he's been incredibly enthusiastic about the project!

edit: Also tradgames designers are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more responsive than video game designers with a few exceptions

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 7, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Hey guys! I don't think this has been posted here but another Philly company is doing a traditional game Kickstarter with Famous Missions.

The rules in detail can be found here but this is the gist:

They're only asking for $2,500 so if party card games are your thing please give them a look! I'm not part of their company in any way but we're trying to build the game dev/maker scene here in Philadelphia so every little bit helps!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigrye/famous-missions-a-card-game

Thanks! And please don't blame me for any Chuck Norris references in the Kickstarter video.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Re: Tabletop Season 3

at first I thought it seemed like a lot of money but it IS a well produced show and concede that it takes money to keep that up. I guess I just find it weird that whatever they were doing before obviously worked and they were able to make a very popular show doing it that way so why is that no longer an option? Were they losing money on the show with the idea that it would act as a proof of concept in order to sell it?

"After being on youtube for two seasons funded by Google we're now going independent"

That's why he says they need to crowd fund this. I guess I just don't see how them going independent benefits us unless it wont happen otherwise which I don't buy.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 7, 2014

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Timett posted:

Re: Tabletop Season 3

at first I thought it seemed like a lot of money but it IS a well produced show and concede that it takes money to keep that up. I guess I just find it weird that whatever they were doing before obviously worked and they were able to make a very popular show doing it that way so why is that no longer an option? Were they losing money on the show with the idea that it would act as a proof of concept in order to sell it?

"After being on youtube for two seasons funded by Google we're now going independent"

That's why he says they need to crowd fund this. I guess I just don't see how them going independent benefits us unless it wont happen otherwise which I don't buy.

It's mostly that Youtube cancelled the program that was funding them, at least according to Felicia Day's twitter.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Flavivirus posted:

It's mostly that Youtube cancelled the program that was funding them, at least according to Felicia Day's twitter.

Fair enough. I guess that gets to the bottom of that mystery. Now if I could just ensure they would avoid different versions of games they've already played (Star Trek Catan, TTR: Europe) and poo poo like Fortune and Glory it might almost be worth supporting.

Looks like it's going to fund without trouble though so it wont need my support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

GrandpaPants posted:

Among The Stars is being reprinted. I'll repeat this question in the board games thread, but does the expansion make this worth playing over 7 Wonders? I also like how there's exactly one backer for one the tiers, and it's not a giant vanity tier either.

I haven't done it with more than 4 players yet, but the new buildings and the ambassador mechanic make the game really interesting. I honestly don't think I'd like it with more than 4. I much prefer 7 Wonders at 3 or 4 players more, too, so take that for what it's worth. I like having hands come back instead of just vanishing, since it makes you think about what other people are going to take out of the hand.

The tile-placement part is what really makes it shine for me. It really encourages you to leave spaces for killer placements later. You don't really get that strategic crunch in 7 Wonders since you're mostly just trying to get the card you need for your overall strategy.

• Locked thread