Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
So recently I found a group of people that play magic at school. Most of the time it's 3-5 people playing a game together with a broad range of decks (Green infect, BR aggro, Kithkin tribal to name a few). There's also some 1v1, it all depends who's around and time. I've been working on this deck for years and it's probably completely different than what it started as but I really enjoy mono-black. I usually try to use tactics that avoid direct combat and instead swing at the person directly with Korlash acting as a wall. The deck is pretty low-budget so things like Thoughtseize isn't available to me. I want to know if my mana ratios are alright and if there is any thematic cards I should look into. Obviously I have a bunch of flying and hand destruction.

Mono-Black casual deck
http://deckstats.net/deck-3902871-41c8988c1d64950b4e8f83b952ab4ade.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

AlternateNu posted:

I'm trying to tweak my Simic Masters deck after playing a couple matches with it. They were both against random control decks, and I ended up losing by deckout by one of them just because I couldn't push enough damage through all their counters. Let me know what you guys think:

Lands
2 x Mutavault
This is the big issue. Against control, 4 Mutas really makes a huge difference. Playing my Uw deck against esper, I did more damage with mutas than anything else in the deck.

MaverickSWAT
Feb 17, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why are you running ashiok? Seems to do nothing with the rest of your deck?

Why are you running Imposing Sovereign if it isnt an aggro deck?

Why are you running 4 Soldier of the pantheon if it isn't an aggro deck and you have 12 scrylands to take up t1?

Also don't know why youre running thassa in an esper deck, doesn't seem like you'll benefit from it that much. Haven't seen anyone else doing that at least.

You seem to be all over the place. Ive been playing r/w burn for a month or so and midrange decks can be somewhat difficult if they are set up right. Blood baron cant be hit with chained to the rocks or Warleader's helix so they can be difficult to remove. A single whip isnt a bad idea vs burn depending on your other creatures and combos with obzedat well. If youre going to be esper midrange, you need to be able to use your control options to buy you time to stabilize. Burn starts running out of steam around t5-6 so if you stabilize and start gaining life it can be difficult for burn to keep up.

Ashiok has done work for me pretty much every time I've used it. It usually draws all the attention and being able to play a Stormbreath Dragon is always a plus.

Imposing Sovereign helps slow down my opponents, but I could see cutting them for another two drop.

The soldiers can gain me life and are pretty good against Boros Reckoners and dodge stuff like Detention Sphere.

The scry from Thassa can help in the late game, but Thassa hasn't done a whole lot from me so I wouldn't mind losing it.

I'm probably going to add Fiendslayer Paladins to the deck, I think those would help me stabilize against burn a lot better.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

MaverickSWAT posted:

Ashiok has done work for me pretty much every time I've used it. It usually draws all the attention and being able to play a Stormbreath Dragon is always a plus.

Imposing Sovereign helps slow down my opponents, but I could see cutting them for another two drop.

The soldiers can gain me life and are pretty good against Boros Reckoners and dodge stuff like Detention Sphere.

The scry from Thassa can help in the late game, but Thassa hasn't done a whole lot from me so I wouldn't mind losing it.

I'm probably going to add Fiendslayer Paladins to the deck, I think those would help me stabilize against burn a lot better.

You asked why your deck under performs. Brews are cool, and I give you merit points, but it will always fall short to extensively play tested decks that have placed in major tournaments. In this case, there are just clear-cut better deck lists in Esper midrange.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Night Danger Moose posted:

This is the big issue. Against control, 4 Mutas really makes a huge difference. Playing my Uw deck against esper, I did more damage with mutas than anything else in the deck.

You're pretty much right. I just don't like the prospect of missing my turn 2 U/G or turn 3 double-G for Kiora's Follower and Courser. It is a fairly expensive deck with all of the 4 drops, so I could drop an Omenspeaker and one Island for the last 2 Mutas.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
I'm looking at building a Golgari control-esque deck for Standard - and have pretty well decided that for the rest of the current rotation, I'd just run B/G and muck around with a few iterations of those colours (Aggro, midrange, control, etc)
I have the B/G dual land and ScOozes are on their way. The only other thing I'd really be missing would be Thoughtseizes and Mutavaults.

My question is: To be successful, does the deck REALLY need to run Mutavault?
I get that it dodges Gaze of Granite, but if I were to run a deck without that card, could it be done with any relative success?
(For added info, my current meta is a lot of control in it's various (and quite frankly, frustratingly boring) forms. Red aggro decks would be the next best represented, with the occasional splash for Black or White.)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Man_alive posted:

I'm looking at building a Golgari control-esque deck for Standard - and have pretty well decided that for the rest of the current rotation, I'd just run B/G and muck around with a few iterations of those colours (Aggro, midrange, control, etc)
I have the B/G dual land and ScOozes are on their way. The only other thing I'd really be missing would be Thoughtseizes and Mutavaults.

I get that it dodges Gaze of Granite, but if I were to run a deck without that card, could it be done with any relative success?
(For added info, my current meta is a lot of control in it's various (and quite frankly, frustratingly boring) forms. Red aggro decks would be the next best represented, with the occasional splash for Black or White.)

The card is expensive because it is that good. You can build decks without it, but you will play games where having it would have made the difference between winning and losing. If you can accept your deck is less good without it, then go for it. I understand it is hard to justify $120 for a set, but it really, honestly, is that good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does Mutavault see pkay in Legacy Fish, Goblins or Elves? Will that protect it's price at all after rotation?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Legacy fish for sure. Handful of modern tribal decks.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Man_alive posted:

Generally not. Mutavault is the best card in Standard for a reason.

MaverickSWAT
Feb 17, 2011

Null1fy posted:

You asked why your deck under performs. Brews are cool, and I give you merit points, but it will always fall short to extensively play tested decks that have placed in major tournaments. In this case, there are just clear-cut better deck lists in Esper midrange.

Just giving my reasons for using those cards, not trying to be defensive. I'm more than willing to change the deck around a bit if it means getting better results.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does Mutavault see pkay in Legacy Fish, Goblins or Elves? Will that protect it's price at all after rotation?

Some but not a lot. The leading theory is that the price is all about standard play. This can be backed up some by looking at the price before Theros. From June-Sept roughly Mutavault was a $12-15 card. I bought a playset off ebay for $50 in July. It was not until the first big events showed a lot of mono-X devotion and thus the space for a card like mutavault that the price on them started going up.

By this reasoning, the price for an m14 mutavault is probably more like $15-20 without being such a good card in standard. One thing to consider though, is price memory. Another thing to consider is standard sell off. Will people getting rid of rotating cards drive the price back down to $15-20 or will price memory make that hold a little higher, more like $20-25?

Also since the rise of mutavault, merfolk has become a more competitive deck in modern, seeing some better results that it had sometime before that.

Crunk Magnet
Feb 19, 2004
Poop Soup
If anyone wants to play today I'll be in as crunkmagnet. I've got an extra Taiga if anyone needs it.

Also, is there an easy way to look at all the cards that aren't in your collection using the wide beta client? I don't see the checkbox.

Crunk Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 6, 2014

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

MaverickSWAT posted:

Just giving my reasons for using those cards, not trying to be defensive. I'm more than willing to change the deck around a bit if it means getting better results.

Sorry, I didn't want you to think I was being accusatory either.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Sunday League Report: Izzet Spellheart by LightReaper
3 rounds, only 6 people showed up but it was fine. Again running that exact list except turned 2 Mountain and 2 Island into 4 Izzet Guildgates. No issue with the taplands costing me the game or anything.

Round 1: Big Boros or something. This seemed to be a mostly Gatecrash deck with Soldier of the Pantheon but also just a lot of actual Boros cards like Aurelia's Fury, Firemane Avenger, and Tajic.

Game 1 he had powerful high CC creatures in hand so his early game was slow and I was able to 1-for-1 until I could get there with Spellheart. I think I stabilized on like 4 life. Highlight was him saying "I got this" with Boros Charm Double Strike right into Overloaded Cyclonic Rift.
Game 2 he was much faster and I didn't draw anything good to prop up and iffy keep. I may have mulliganed on this one, I can't remember.
Game 3 I got there again. Steam Augury was great. After 2 Searing Blood early he was on 14 and my Chimera was on 10, I cast Steam Augury but I didn't separate the piles right so I had to hold off an extra turn to kill him. I think he could have actually won if he tapped differently as well, but two wrongs made a right and I won.

Round 2: Mono Black
I got crushed 2-0. Gray Merchant wasn't a huge factor, but both games he went wild on Underworld Connections so I didn't have enough threats to avoid his pile of removal.

Round 3: Also Mono Black. I was dreading this because I'd just lost to the different Mono Black.
Game 1 I drew 3 of my 4 Turn/Burns so I was able to handle his Desecration Demons. Didn't draw Connections or Grey Merchant, so I was actually able to get there including the insane Double Izzet Charm to blow out his double Nightveil block of Chimera and have like 12 trample over.
Game 2 he kept Swamp Double Thoughtseize. Took both of the sided-in Essence Scatters from my hand, but then didn't draw enough lands so never got up and running above my removal draws. So I happily took 2-0 against Mono Black to go 2-1 on the day. Finally, a Standard result good enough to compliment my 3-0 and 2-1 Modern finishes.

Quicken definitely needs to go from the deck. Steam Augury was amazing every time I cast it, and it's just a super fun card to cast and do the skill test. Turn/Burn is also so good. I think I'm going to maybe move Negate to main deck as protection for Spellheart. Maybe try Rapid Hybridization in the sideboard?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Am tweeking my standard BW midrange, concerned about Naya Hexproof. Plan to run 4 Devour Flesh, but I think I need more that can disrupt them, since Pack Rat isn't ideal for early Madcap Skills, and they may have Voltroned something big by the time the other stuff hits. Have 2 Revoke Existence to zap the auras, think that's it. Drown in Sorrow? Probably too easy for them to get a guy bigger than x/2.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Am tweeking my standard BW midrange, concerned about Naya Hexproof. Plan to run 4 Devour Flesh, but I think I need more that can disrupt them, since Pack Rat isn't ideal for early Madcap Skills, and they may have Voltroned something big by the time the other stuff hits. Have 2 Revoke Existence to zap the auras, think that's it. Drown in Sorrow? Probably too easy for them to get a guy bigger than x/2.

Naya hexproof runs 4 witchstalkers, which are already 3/3. It might kill a gladecover scout but on t3 its pretty easy for them to have an ethereal armor and some other enchantment on the field to make it a 3/3 too. You could always try something like celestial flare I guess if your local meta is full of hexproof.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:
Well, I've taken some of the suggestions from the earlier version on this Graveyard Deck and it currently looks a little like this now.

code:
Sorcery (5)
2x Thoughtseize
3x Traumatize

Instant (5)
3x Putrefy
2x Swan Song

Enchantment (2)
2x Underworld Connections

Creature (22)
2x Consuming Aberration
4x Duskmantle Guildmage
3x Lotleth Troll
2x Nighthowler
2x Phenax, God of Deception
2x Scavenging Ooze
4x Sylvan Caryatid
3x Wight of Precinct Six

Planeswalker (2)
2x Jace, Memory Adept

Land (24)
3x Breeding Pool
1x Forest
1x Island
2x Mutavault
4x Overgrown Tomb
3x Swamp
4x Temple of Deceit
3x Temple of Mystery
3x Watery Grave
Again, the concept is a BUG aggro deck that can feed off lots of things going into the graveyard to produce cheap, large threats. There's also a combo kill with the Duskmantle guildmage, or the Aberration and Phenax. Lotleth Troll or a scavenging ooze that gets ripped. I've been trying to find a spot for Thassa because the scry trigger and the unblockable seem really nice for what's essentially an indestructable enchantment. There's just not enough blue without adding in a Spectre or Lazav to the main deck to count on the devotion. Might just drop one of the guildmages for more Nighthowlers, as Lotleth Troll+Nighthowler followed up by a traumatize seems really nuts. I should probably add a whip to the main deck because whipping a wight or an aberration back mid-to-late game could definitely be a thing when up against removal.

Dick Milhous Rock! fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 7, 2014

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Sunday League Report: Izzet Spellheart by LightReaper
3 rounds, only 6 people showed up but it was fine. Again running that exact list except turned 2 Mountain and 2 Island into 4 Izzet Guildgates. No issue with the taplands costing me the game or anything.

Round 1: Big Boros or something. This seemed to be a mostly Gatecrash deck with Soldier of the Pantheon but also just a lot of actual Boros cards like Aurelia's Fury, Firemane Avenger, and Tajic.

Game 1 he had powerful high CC creatures in hand so his early game was slow and I was able to 1-for-1 until I could get there with Spellheart. I think I stabilized on like 4 life. Highlight was him saying "I got this" with Boros Charm Double Strike right into Overloaded Cyclonic Rift.
Game 2 he was much faster and I didn't draw anything good to prop up and iffy keep. I may have mulliganed on this one, I can't remember.
Game 3 I got there again. Steam Augury was great. After 2 Searing Blood early he was on 14 and my Chimera was on 10, I cast Steam Augury but I didn't separate the piles right so I had to hold off an extra turn to kill him. I think he could have actually won if he tapped differently as well, but two wrongs made a right and I won.

Round 2: Mono Black
I got crushed 2-0. Gray Merchant wasn't a huge factor, but both games he went wild on Underworld Connections so I didn't have enough threats to avoid his pile of removal.

Round 3: Also Mono Black. I was dreading this because I'd just lost to the different Mono Black.
Game 1 I drew 3 of my 4 Turn/Burns so I was able to handle his Desecration Demons. Didn't draw Connections or Grey Merchant, so I was actually able to get there including the insane Double Izzet Charm to blow out his double Nightveil block of Chimera and have like 12 trample over.
Game 2 he kept Swamp Double Thoughtseize. Took both of the sided-in Essence Scatters from my hand, but then didn't draw enough lands so never got up and running above my removal draws. So I happily took 2-0 against Mono Black to go 2-1 on the day. Finally, a Standard result good enough to compliment my 3-0 and 2-1 Modern finishes.

Quicken definitely needs to go from the deck. Steam Augury was amazing every time I cast it, and it's just a super fun card to cast and do the skill test. Turn/Burn is also so good. I think I'm going to maybe move Negate to main deck as protection for Spellheart. Maybe try Rapid Hybridization in the sideboard?
I tried a different non-creature orientated build of control on friday or I would have posted my experiences but it's good to hear feedback. It's interesting that you are so high on Steam Augury as everyone at my local store has pretty much been screaming at me to swap them out for opportunity or thoughtflare. I've been tempted myself to trial thoughtflare as it does have the advantage of not revealing the cards and letting us ditch dead cards (like late game izzet charms), I'll see how that performs on friday. I agree with you on Negate, feels like I'm siding it in pretty consistently, with my candidate for swapping being Cyclonic Rift, though to be honest I'm also tempted to just straight up drop Cyclonic Rift for some more main deck counterspells.

Mono black has been a huge problem for this deck in recent testing, and I'm considering dropping down the angers to add a pair of ratchet bombs so we have an answer to resolved Underworld connections - I lost several matches to that card recently and it's also an incidental answer to aggro decks or MoW tokens.

Out of interest why do you dislike Quicken? It triggers Guttersnipe, YP and essentially slims our deck down to 58 cards, it's actually really grown on me since the arguments for it in this thread.

Edit: And I think I'm going to drop a lightning strike for a maindeck Counterflux.
Edit2: And yeah I put the guildgates back in... I've been stung on mana too many times now.

LightReaper fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 7, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

LightReaper posted:

I tried a different non-creature orientated build of control on friday or I would have posted my experiences but it's good to hear feedback. It's interesting that you are so high on Steam Augury as everyone at my local store has pretty much been screaming at me to swap them out for opportunity or thoughtflare. I've been tempted myself to trial thoughtflare as it does have the advantage of not revealing the cards and letting us ditch dead cards (like late game izzet charms), I'll see how that performs on friday. I agree with you on Negate, feels like I'm siding it in pretty consistently, with my candidate for swapping being Cyclonic Rift, though to be honest I'm also tempted to just straight up drop Cyclonic Rift for some more main deck counterspells.

Mono black has been a huge problem for this deck in recent testing, and I'm considering dropping down the angers to add a pair of ratchet bombs so we have an answer to resolved Underworld connections - I lost several matches to that card recently and it's also an incidental answer to aggro decks or MoW tokens.

Out of interest why do you dislike Quicken? It triggers Guttersnipe, YP and essentially slims our deck down to 58 cards, it's actually really grown on me since the arguments for it in this thread.

Edit: And I think I'm going to drop a lightning strike for a maindeck Counterflux.
Edit2: And yeah I put the guildgates back in... I've been stung on mana too many times now.
Thoughtflare might work. I don't know, I think I liked Steam Augury because twice when I cast it I got to put all the spells in a single pile and they had to choose between giving me the spells and pumping the Spellheart.

Ratchet Bomb does seem pretty good as an all-around card.

While my sample size is admittedly small, basically every time I won it was on the back of 1-3 swings with Spellheart Chimera. That means the Guttersnipe/YP damage was incidental, although the tokens and creatures themselves saved me because they were blockers that could buy me time by absorbing damage or preventing attacks outright. So I'd like to use the 2 slots for anything that helps me get those Chimera swings in. Thinning the deck is not statistically significant compared to Dissolving/Negating a removal spell and just letting you win with the Chimera.

This may seem like a super dumb idea, but what about running Archaeomancer instead of Guttersnipe? If your deck's goal is to fill your graveyard with instants and sorceries, why not have a few chances to tutor the best one in your graveyard back to you? Although I guess he only has 1 power for 4 CMC, so maybe it would be even more insane to just run the 5 CMC 0/4 Mnemonic Wall. Yeah, probably a bad idea.

I also want to put 1 Prognostic Sphinx in for fun just because I like the card. Who knows, I'll mess with the deck and post my changes and results next time I get to play around with it. They don't actually run Standard much in my shop and I don't know if the final Standard league will happen until about 4/20 or even possibly 5/11.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
MURDERGOATS.dec players: What do you all think of the following artifact in Journey Into Nyx?

3cmc

When this comes into play, choose a color. Creatures you control of the chosen color get +1/+1.

I really, really like it as a 2-of or 3-of, as it turns all of the Elemental tokens into 2/2s and make YP and Tymaret a respectable 3/2 and 3/3, respectively. It can be recycled via Trading Post if you need to change the color based on the board state, etc. Considering the point of the deck is exerting maximum value from your creature tokens, doubling their power and toughness (and also avoiding being swept by stuff like Golgari Charm) seems like a great option.

Thoughts?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Alris posted:

This is the latest one he's posted in the thread:

I'm interested in building it myself and seeing how it goes. No idea if anything's been changed since posting, though.

I'll try to post an updated version tonight.

I actually only ended up going 2-3 at FNM. I had swapped in two blood crypts and 1 temple of malice but if I am going to keep playing this deck competitively I'm really seeing the need for getting at least two more blood crypts in there and possibly some more temples of malice as well. I also dropped the lightning strikes for magma jet's and mainboarded dreadbores & 2 thoughtseizes rather than the heros downfalls and doomblades. doomblades were in my sideboard as well as dark betrayal, I just didn't want to mainboard them knowing how many mono-black decks were out there.

The sad thing was that a few of the rounds I got rocked by sitting on a hand of black/red creatures and not being able to draw a mountain. Not being able to cast a hand with spike jesters, madcap skills, and exava when I had 4 swamps in play was really painful. That's why I would add more blood crypts.

1 of the games I lost to orzhov, I had him down to 3, a marauder in hand, and enough mana to cast a marauder plus pretty much anything else in my deck. Unfortunately he was able to hit me with a blood baron before I could draw any other attackers or spells that could have hit him. In a deck packed full of 2-3 damage creatures that kind of sucked. He went up to 7 and then had a second blood baron in play before I could respond. Another round I lost to red/green with domri's and xenagos'. Another round I lost to white heroic by the skin of my teeth. I trounced him first game and then had to deal with mulliganing down to 4 due to not drawing land, then drawing nothing but land.

All in all it was really fun to run the deck though and really taught me the value of having more dual-lands and scry to get past the stuff I don't need.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

bhsman posted:

MURDERGOATS.dec players: What do you all think of the following artifact in Journey Into Nyx?

3cmc

When this comes into play, choose a color. Creatures you control of the chosen color get +1/+1.

I really, really like it as a 2-of or 3-of, as it turns all of the Elemental tokens into 2/2s and make YP and Tymaret a respectable 3/2 and 3/3, respectively. It can be recycled via Trading Post if you need to change the color based on the board state, etc. Considering the point of the deck is exerting maximum value from your creature tokens, doubling their power and toughness (and also avoiding being swept by stuff like Golgari Charm) seems like a great option.

Thoughts?

Completely useless. Doesn't hit the MURDERGOATS and Soldier tokens off the horse, and just doesn't do anything to be worth including. An Anthem effect is not remotely close to what this deck wants in its artifacts.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

legoman727 posted:

Completely useless. Doesn't hit the MURDERGOATS and Soldier tokens off the horse, and just doesn't do anything to be worth including. An Anthem effect is not remotely close to what this deck wants in its artifacts.

I kind of have to agree. In all my time playing this deck I think I've seen more soldiers than elementals. Probably just my luck, BUT soldiers and the goats are WHITE. So, you could name white with the card and then you have Goats that can attack right off the bat as 1/2 creatures instead of just being tokens to sac and chump block. This also opens up the mana you'd normally spend to pump them with Purphoros' ability to do other things.

I'm not sure taking out removal for this artifact is worth it though...I am too heavily invested into the removal/control aspect of the deck.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

legoman727 posted:

How are they not hit? :psyduck: You can choose White as a color when you play the artifact to begin with, and I even pointed out the ability to recycle the effect with Trading Post.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Think it's worth experimenting with one, for my deck currently it's Mogis in that one-of funtime slot. As a fairly cheap recyclable artifact advantage can be gained. Not more, though, as it does take away from removal and disruption. Maybe it comes in to replace Akroan Horse vs control for the extra damage?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The artifact is cute, but I'd rather be flinging soldiers/goats/elementals at my opponents face, rather than just having them +1/+1.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, anthems are for decks that actually want to attack with their tokens as Plan A.

Plus it's Legendary so you can't even stack it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

Yeah, anthems are for decks that actually want to attack with their tokens as Plan A.

Plus it's Legendary so you can't even stack it.

That's sort of why I like it, though: it gives the option of Beatdown, and due to it's Legendary status it doesn't take up many slots; I would probably drop a copy of Purphoros and maybe a piece of removal for testing purposes if I still had the deck.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Frozen_flame posted:

Think it's worth experimenting with one, for my deck currently it's Mogis in that one-of funtime slot. As a fairly cheap recyclable artifact advantage can be gained. Not more, though, as it does take away from removal and disruption. Maybe it comes in to replace Akroan Horse vs control for the extra damage?

You really don't have the sideboard space. I'm already just cold to at least one common deck at a time based on whatever setup I have at the moment. Right now I'm just loving dead against hexproof (since it packs so much trample and gets toughness super fast) with only 2 Anger of the Gods, and even those stop doing anything if the hexproof player can get a single enchantment down and of course Mizzium Mortars comes online far too late to help.

I could add Devour Flesh to the board, but then I have to open a hole against something else.

Control's a pretty good matchup already anyway, thanks to Slaughter Games and Rakdos' Return.

bhsman posted:

That's sort of why I like it, though: it gives the option of Beatdown, and due to it's Legendary status it doesn't take up many slots; I would probably drop a copy of Purphoros and maybe a piece of removal for testing purposes if I still had the deck.

I've found 3 Tymaret and 3 Purphoros is already almost too few. It makes for some fun games, though: I had a ridiculous game against Azorius where I had to grind out card advantage with a pair of Trading Posts (10 mana, 1 life: Draw a Card!), recurring Ratchet Bombs for the Detention Spheres and horse against the Verdicts for about 30 turns.

Any game where you use all four modes of Trading Post is a good game.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 7, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bhsman posted:

Why would you drop purphoros, he's like the reason to build the deck in the first place.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

Why would you drop purphoros, he's like the reason to build the deck in the first place.

If you're already running 4 you can spare dropping down to 3. Anyone who plays the deck knows the pain of drawing an extra copy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bhsman posted:

How are they not hit? :psyduck: You can choose White as a color when you play the artifact to begin with, and I even pointed out the ability to recycle the effect with Trading Post.

Because you can't hit the tokens AND YP/Tyramet with it, which makes it a dumb card to include. You have much better things to do with 3 mana up to and including bolting your opponent or flinging goat heads at them.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

Because you can't hit the tokens AND YP/Tyramet with it, which makes it a dumb card to include. You have much better things to do with 3 mana up to and including bolting your opponent or flinging goat heads at them.

Do...do people not realize that Molten Birth and Y-Peezy make a lot of tokens throughout a game? :psyduck:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

bhsman posted:

Do...do people not realize that Molten Birth and Y-Peezy make a lot of tokens throughout a game? :psyduck:

Honestly I don't have the same experience you do. Although we use the same deck I usually have more White Soldiers from the Horse than I do elementals. My only thing is this +1/+1 doesn't do enough to stop some of the board wipes out there, so is it really worth putting it in the deck?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bhsman posted:

People were assuming you were running the Horse build, sans Molten Birth.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

People were assuming you were running the Horse build, sans Molten Birth.

How...? I literally still have the link to my old build in my avatar? Moreover, who the hell is not running copies of Molten Birth in traditional R/B versions of the deck?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I actually run both Horse and Birth but I would not run this card. As others have said you don't really want to attack with this deck, and if you are swinging it's probably at an opponent who's already on the ropes. I'm just not seeing it, or what to cut for it even as a SB card.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Im taking breakfast burrito to the SCG Legacy Open in Dallas this weekend, and am heavily considering replacing one Tinder Wall with a third Cabal Therapy in anticipation of all the counterspells i may not be aware of.

Anyone have a reason why i shouldnt? While goldfishing the deck, which is almost the same as playing a real match, tinder wall is almost completely irrelevant, and I cant think of a time when drawing a cabal therapy in its place and going off a turn later would be a disaster. Especially when underworld cerberus uses one therapy for the combo. Having two chances to dodge a counterspell before casting dread return seems like a good idea.

Thoughts?

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've got some friends that are sort of intimidated by MTG but that I'd like to try to teach it to. I've been thinking of building some super-straightforward budget mono-color decks to illustrate each of the vanilla archetypes a bit. The idea would to be to stick to full playsets of cards as much as possible so they aren't overwhelmed w/ too many cards to learn and to limit it to maybe only a couple of rares in each deck.

I've been reading this thread a bit...
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-general/329583-decks-to-teach-new-players

...but just thought it'd be good to see if any of you have done this already and have any deck lists to point me to?

I think maybe just building them out of 2014 or 2013+2014 cards would be easiest. I'd be open to the idea of throwing in some simple newer mechanics but really want to keep the diversity of the mechanics as limited/straight-forward as possible.

Any ideas for newbie mono-color instructional decks?

• Locked thread