Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

I got all my new weapons finished! :woop:
Doing a tiered thing is a lot more work than I thought it'd be, still though its all done and now I can work on throwing a couple more fun things into my chemistry mod before I publish the update. While I was working on it I noticed the mod had gotten to 6mb in size, so I went through and optimized all my .png images down into the < 1kb range in most instances, now the mod is around 1mb or so. Remember to keep your images efficient if you're modding, it can add up over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

I Said No posted:

I got all my new weapons finished! :woop:
Doing a tiered thing is a lot more work than I thought it'd be, still though its all done and now I can work on throwing a couple more fun things into my chemistry mod before I publish the update. While I was working on it I noticed the mod had gotten to 6mb in size, so I went through and optimized all my .png images down into the < 1kb range in most instances, now the mod is around 1mb or so. Remember to keep your images efficient if you're modding, it can add up over time.

Well, tell us what each one does! Also yes tiered guns can be a pain in the rear end.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You know what I'd REALLY like is the ability to upgrade random drop weapons to the next tier up at a slight loss compared to that next tier. So like if the next tier up was intended to be twice as powerful it'd get stuff multiplied by like 1.9 or 1.8, so that you'd be able to bring weapons you're fond of along with you for a while but eventually it stops being worth it.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Yeah, I'm still hugely upset that there's no longer any point in me using my grenade* launcher.

*pigs strapped with dynamite.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

reignonyourparade posted:

You know what I'd REALLY like is the ability to upgrade random drop weapons to the next tier up at a slight loss compared to that next tier. So like if the next tier up was intended to be twice as powerful it'd get stuff multiplied by like 1.9 or 1.8, so that you'd be able to bring weapons you're fond of along with you for a while but eventually it stops being worth it.

Sincerely. I'm more annoyed though, that crafted weapons are almost always superiour than found ones. I mean make crafted weapons good sure, but I really like finding a new kickass sword in a random chest or off a miniboss.

Also for bosses:

Turrets. Lots and lots and lots of turrets. Killed the bone dragon in five seconds, the jellyfish in thirty. Turrets are loving amazing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Iron Rose posted:

Also for bosses:

Turrets. Lots and lots and lots of turrets. Killed the bone dragon in five seconds, the jellyfish in thirty. Turrets are loving amazing.

I did this for my first go at the Jellyfish, admittedly. But, you know, 1 pixel turrets out of the 3D printer proooobably aren't a common perk. If a good antifrustration feature in beta when you just can't make it past the Dragon because no SWEET GUNS, THAT YOU CAN'T CRAFT! GUNS GUNS GUNS handy. But are also not stubbornly insane enough to take on the Dragon in a custom prison yard cage match like the first time I fought it way back.

Diamond Drilling all those prison bars alone probably took a half hour :shepface: That Pistol was slightly more damaging than the Steel Bow, but didn't drain an inordinate amount of energy per shot like one.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

reignonyourparade posted:

I am all about this.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
IT'S NERF OR NOTHIN!

:jihad:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

dog kisser posted:

Well, tell us what each one does! Also yes tiered guns can be a pain in the rear end.

I haven't got around to making preview images for any of them, but here's a brief rundown of the Rubium weapons:

Devil's Tongue: A very high-power straight flamethrower
Plasma Beam Cannon: Fires five purple streams at different speeds - the closer you are, the more damage you'll do
Microwave Ray: An upgrade to the Heat Ray that ignores armor entirely
Terawatt Laser: Fires really fast ricocheting laser beams
Fusion Cannon: Fires a big flaming orb that explodes a huge chunk out of almost any material in one shot
Magma Vulcan: Shoots rapid fire lava balls that explode terrain like bombs
Sunstream: Shoots rapid fire fireballs in an arc
Irradiator: Deploys a static radioactive mist that burns and poisons enemies that move through it

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I Said No posted:

I haven't got around to making preview images for any of them, but here's a brief rundown of the Rubium weapons:

Devil's Tongue: A very high-power straight flamethrower
Plasma Beam Cannon: Fires five purple streams at different speeds - the closer you are, the more damage you'll do
Microwave Ray: An upgrade to the Heat Ray that ignores armor entirely
Terawatt Laser: Fires really fast ricocheting laser beams
Fusion Cannon: Fires a big flaming orb that explodes a huge chunk out of almost any material in one shot
Magma Vulcan: Shoots rapid fire lava balls that explode terrain like bombs
Sunstream: Shoots rapid fire fireballs in an arc
Irradiator: Deploys a static radioactive mist that burns and poisons enemies that move through it

Well that's excellent! Are they splitting again into Impervium?

edit:

Shoehead posted:

IT'S NERF OR NOTHIN!

Aw yeah.

edit2:

Adhesive charges can now be wired together!

Also, made a change to detonator - figured it was too similar to the satchel charge, so I made a functionality change to it: it is now a safety detonator. Once you activate it, it lights up - it'll detonate once you (and all other PC's, but not NPCs or monsters) leave the area. I figure you lay down a whole bunch of crates of explosives all over the place, then you drop the detonator on them, activate it, and walk away. Poof!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 4, 2014

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Shoehead posted:

IT'S NERF OR NOTHIN!

Oh man, if you could get the chamber to spin and the darts to stick to enemies, this would be amazing. Also, the skellies need to have moon shoes as a type of boot.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

dog kisser posted:

Well that's excellent! Are they splitting again into Impervium?

edit:

Aw yeah.

edit2:

Adhesive charges can now be wired together!

Also, made a change to detonator - figured it was too similar to the satchel charge, so I made a functionality change to it: it is now a safety detonator. Once you activate it, it lights up - it'll detonate once you (and all other PC's, but not NPCs or monsters) leave the area. I figure you lay down a whole bunch of crates of explosives all over the place, then you drop the detonator on them, activate it, and walk away. Poof!

Is there any way to get those things to blow up the background walls, too?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Patware posted:

Is there any way to get those things to blow up the background walls, too?

Yes sir - explosions are weak little placeholder poofs currently though.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
These are just more in a long line of really interesting-looking weapons that I really hope they ask you for permission to add to the base game, where such variety is sorely lacking.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
We need guns.. Lots of guns

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Shoehead posted:

The Nintendo lightgun is so instantly recognizable :haw:

There needs to be a powerglove item. I don't care what it does. It could be a tech - hold F to stand stationary and greatly increase energy regeneration, perhaps? That sounds really handy for energy-hungry guns.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Sooo goood - you should use the method I did to give my guns alternate fire to give them 'cocking' animations. Except for the lightguns I guess.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Shoehead posted:

Is that NERF BFG an actual toy? Also the NES Zapper, it needs to be a good gun. :3:

The only other one I don't recognize is the blue and pink pistol beneath the NES Zappers.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is that NERF BFG an actual toy? Also the NES Zapper, it needs to be a good gun. :3:

The only other one I don't recognize is the blue and pink pistol beneath the NES Zappers.

Looks like the G-Con/GunCon to me. Probably wrong, though.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Those were namco's guncons! Made for use with Time Crisis and... Vampire Fight, I wanna say? They were good heavy controllers and I'm pretty sure you could pistol whip a dude IRL with one and not hurt it.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Last time I played if you walked the surface there would be 3 different creatures 2 where guaranteed hostile 1 wasn't, is that still the case?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

boo_radley posted:

Those were namco's guncons! Made for use with Time Crisis and... Vampire Fight, I wanna say? They were good heavy controllers and I'm pretty sure you could pistol whip a dude IRL with one and not hurt it.

Vampire Night. Yes I had that, we played it on our old CRT before it died and welp.

It is as silly and poorly voiced as it sounds. including Your guys starting off fighting in the sunlight. It of course, ends with them turning to dust in the sunlight once it is all over. CONSISTENCY :pseudo:

"Have you gone crazy? Pointing a gun at me?" "Don't worry, this gun knows who to destroy." :downs:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Someone is working on all the weapons/stuff from "Zombies Ate My Neighbors" right?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm glad my guns sparked some conversation. The Nerf BFG is an unfinished regular BFG sorry to disappoint.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Hey, ya wanna blow stuff up?

Come get some!

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I just pushed the 1.4 update to my Chemistry mod! Guess i'll throw the changelog out here and see if anyone bites:

quote:

New weapons: Flamethrower, Incinerator, Napalm Sprayer, Mega Torch, Heat Ray, Magma Cannon, Lava Stream, Devil's Tongue, Plasma Beam Cannon, Microwave Ray, Terawatt Laser, Fusion Cannon, Magma Vulcan, Sunstream, Irradiator
New item: Port-a-Fridge, a back slot item which stops hunger loss
New item: Bulk Reagent Extractor, an extractor that extracts a full stack at a time
New item: Sifting Device, an extractor that gets random reagents from powder blocks
New item: Liquid Collector, an object that turns liquid at its location into usable reagents
New item: Liquid Sensor, a wire trigger for detecting liquids
New item: Liquid Vent, a wire device to move liquids between two locations
New item: Advanced Furnace, a much faster furnace that requires fuel to function
New item: Freeze Grenade, a throwable stunning bomb
New item: Flask of Coolant, an advanced reagent
New item: Moon Dust, a reagent extractable from Moonstone and Moondust
New item: White Catalyst, a longer lasting white stimpack
New item: Black Stimpack, an armor-granting stimpack
New item: Black Catalyst, a stronger black stimpack
New item: Energy Drink, a consumable energy refiller with a poisonous downside
New item: Rainbow Juice, a consumable drink (just for fun)
New item: Plasma Ball, a decorative plasma lamp
New item: Bubbling Tube, a decorative item
New item: Several different varities of Decorative Flask which can be customised with reagents
Removed: Water Vent (Could lead to infinite resource exploit)
Change: Chemistry Lab now has working category filters
Change: Teal Catalyst now lasts three minutes (Up from two minutes)
Change: Teal Stimpack/Catalyst and Vitamins now use a single unique icon for their buffs
Change: Alchemy Forge now works ten bars at a time instead of one
Change: Anesthetic Needle now lasts for ten seconds (up from six)
Change: Made poison needle's poison more potent
Fix: Optimised all .png images in the mod to reduce the overall file size
(the whole mod is now around 1mb, down from 6mb)
Fix: Fixed throwable liquid balloons flickering mid-flight
Fix: Throwable liquid balloons no longer emit light

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

I Said No posted:

Fix: Throwable liquid balloons no longer emit light

This was a thing and you took it out?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

They're made of fabric and water (or tar/blood), there's no real reason for them to emit light. It was a glitch. :v:

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

I Said No posted:

They're made of fabric and water (or tar/blood), there's no real reason for them to emit light. It was a glitch. :v:

You must be a bitter, jaded human being with no soul if you think that.

In other words, I think you should make some that do emit light, especially if they can do a splash effect type thing that coats the environment in glowing liquid/paint/etc...

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Shoehead posted:

This rules so hard.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

You must be a bitter, jaded human being with no soul if you think that.

In other words, I think you should make some that do emit light, especially if they can do a splash effect type thing that coats the environment in glowing liquid/paint/etc...

That actually sounds pretty sweet and quite useful. It'd let you throw the baloon and arc it over obstacles, see if it's safe on the other side plus I find it irritating having to spam torches every few blocks I'd rather just coat a wall and be done with it.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

I Said No posted:

Half the things that emit light in Starbound make no sense anyway. Monsters emit light from taking poison damage.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Isn't that specific one because they're still using "on fire" lighting as a visual placeholder for all damage-over-time effects?

Phreizr
Nov 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Isn't that specific one because they're still using "on fire" lighting as a visual placeholder for all damage-over-time effects?

It's actually because all damage numbers glow slightly. The Blocked! message for when you take 0 damage does too.

Fun Starbound fact for the day.

EDIT: The reason poison's especially noticeable is because as Rocketlex said, so many things arbitrarily give off some amount of light that it only really jumps out at you when an enemy takes damage in a remote pitch-black cave.

Phreizr fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 7, 2014

I Said No
May 21, 2007

It was mostly because I copy pasted the files for regular bombs and forgot to take out the light and sparks. I'm not sure why a standard latex water balloon should be brightly glowing and emitting sparks!
The paint idea is interesting, i'll take a look at it when I come back around to chemistry. Right now i'm going to focus on my Blattra race mod to see if I can get it finished. The main thing i'd like is more decorative stuff for scientists/chemists to have around.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
@Skellie Modder,
You should make the weapons from " Zombies ate my neighbors". You already have the clothes down perfectly.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

goodness posted:

@Skellie Modder,
You should make the weapons from " Zombies ate my neighbors". You already have the clothes down perfectly.

And the music. Wanna blast some "Zombie Panic!" up in this bitch.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

goodness posted:

@Skellie Modder,

I should do 3d specs

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Man, what the heck is with Reddit? I've never had to use it before Starbound and every time I post something (most recently my Explosives mod) people seem to like it but then like 20% of them vote it down. Who the hell dislikes explosives!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Reddit is a cesspool. A crowded, powerfully influential cesspool.

• Locked thread