Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I thought this was either another surreal Heathcliff, or an even-more-surreal edit, but no, it turned out to just be Gilchrist-esque pandering to old people. I guess they figure if you're getting a newspaper delivered, you'd remember Felix the Cat and Vavoom the Eskimo? (or that you'll just Google it like I did?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Trilobite posted:

I thought this was either another surreal Heathcliff, or an even-more-surreal edit, but no, it turned out to just be Gilchrist-esque pandering to old people. I guess they figure if you're getting a newspaper delivered, you'd remember Felix the Cat and Vavoom the Eskimo? (or that you'll just Google it like I did?)

Hey now! I'm not that old and I know who Felix the Cat is! :colbert: Though I had no idea who Vavoom the Eskimo is.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Huh. Never heard of it. Was it any good?

E: Christ, I just saw "pyschological". Copy editors? gently caress 'em.

I thought it was good, but holy poo poo, not something I ever expected to see referenced, especially not in this thread. :stare:

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Also in the 'holy poo poo' category for today, I did not expect to see a dude get loving stabbed to death.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Trilobite posted:

It can't be Gilchrist-esque, because there's a joke beyond "Hey look at this thing from your childhood! Wow!"

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

GorfZaplen posted:

It can't be Gilchrist-esque, because there's a joke beyond "Hey look at this thing from your childhood! Wow!"

But...it is though?
Well, not like the first few Nancy cross-over comics where Nancy and friend were body surfing anyways.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

scarycave posted:

But...it is though?
Well, not like the first few Nancy cross-over comics where Nancy and friend were body surfing anyways.

I dunno about you but I think Heathcliff getting together with his buddy Felix and loving with a dog is kinda funny.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

It's a minor nitpick but assuming you get this from the SeattlePI site then if you click the Buy a Print link you can actually see the entire Sunday strip including it's banner like so.

It's a pity the whole no killing thing crept into the Phantom. Some of the older strips I've seen had him killing fools all the time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

GorfZaplen posted:

I dunno about you but I think Heathcliff getting together with his buddy Felix and loving with a dog is kinda funny.

That sentence sounds wrong on many levels.
Frankly the fact that I didn't know who the Eskimo guy kind of made it funnier.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

scarycave posted:

That sentence sounds wrong on many levels.
Frankly the fact that I didn't know who the Eskimo guy kind of made it funnier.

I'll agree with you on that.

Hank Morgan posted:

It's a minor nitpick but assuming you get this from the SeattlePI site then if you click the Buy a Print link you can actually see the entire Sunday strip including it's banner like so.

It's a pity the whole no killing thing crept into the Phantom. Some of the older strips I've seen had him killing fools all the time.

Thanks! That's good to know.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Today's Winnie the Pooh features the lighter side of drug use.

Bath salts.

Marijuana.

Crystal meth.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Yes, she can be patient. And you should be scared if you catch her doing it. (April 9, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean gloats over no-effort collecting!

Classic Popeye Sunday: Well, he's got loyalty. One of them has to, obviously. (c. 1942)

Pogo: They used to talk about a "streetcar series" in baseball, but this isn't what they meant. (April 12, 1970)

First-Gen Blondie is an enabler. (c. 1941)

Out Our Way (October 1-2, 1924)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Time's a funny thing: this strip could work perfectly well today as long as you switched the father and daughter's lines.

Although you might have to make him her grandfather instead.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

scarycave posted:

Guy Gilchrist draws dogs better than people.
Same with Brooke and cats.
And with that subtle segue...

9 Junji Lane.

And the reading assignment for today's strip is Junji Ito's Cat Diary.
http://www.mangareader.net/ito-junjis-cat-diary/1
Seriously, read it. It's a manga diary Ito kept about his cats.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Mercury Hat posted:

Today's Winnie the Pooh features the lighter side of drug use.

Bath salts.

This strip alone could power a GBS photoshop thread.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Between their shady history and natural skepticism, Modesty and Willie could probably ferret out any tricks easily. But are they facing a very convincing fake or the genuine article?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pastis just goes mad with the puns, doesn't he?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The convoluted lengths he goes through to create those are kind of impressive. Pity they're still not funny at all even after all that.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 7, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
drat. I feel he should be congratulated and condemned for that in equal measure.

I think the final panel he insists on sticking on them ruins it somehow. A simple panel of "yes" would work much better.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wanamingo posted:

Zippy the Pinhead

Are the Junji Ito edits leaking into other comic strips?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

There aren't enough Eagles records to get Miley out of your brain.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

3rd panel: "Alyson... We never agree on this."

Calvin And Hobbes

I think I'm going to drop Cheap Thrills Cuisine. If anyone wants to pick it up, here's where I left off, going backwards through the archives. Or they update on Wednesdays, if you want to do it once a week.

Poorly Drawn Lines, by Reza Farazmand.

Pop Culture Shock Therapy reruns from almost a decade ago!

Allison Barrow's PreTeena: The missing link between Emmy Lou and Luann?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Thanks! That's good to know.

For that matter, Current Phantom is available at the Comics Kingdom website. I don't know whether you have to be a member to get it in the huge size, but you can definitely read it in normal without joining and it looked pretty readable to me.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

"Oh no, not tits!" -Guy Gilchrist

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Darthemed posted:

Hello, new desktop.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I don't understand how these people are older than my mom. Stop making gently caress-eyes at each other, you abominations! I hope your stupid Crosley ruins all your vinyl.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Blhue posted:

The convoluted lengths he goes through to create those are kind of impressive. Pity they're still not funny at all even after all that.
I think they're funny. :saddowns:

But then, I like puns, and the more convoluted the better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Darthemed posted:

When did this start running? It's incredibly similar to Pictures for Sad Children (pbuh)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Poorly Drawn Lines web-site has 200+ strips, and updates three times a week. There's no date that I could find, so you'll have to solve for x if you want to know, I guess.

e: v Plus any teenager would probably know the Flintstones from Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles cereal.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 7, 2014

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

LvK posted:

I mean, they're a pretty iconic cartoon, and '90s Cartoon Network just shoved them wherever they needed to fill space

Assuming the kid in Zits is 16, he'd have been born in 1998. '90s CN doesn't work as a yardstick anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-vwPuiILBc

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

There are some video games that are cursed, and it is said that whoever plays them together will have their friendships destroyed. Like Dokopon Kingdom.

Retail

You can tell how much Norm Feuti does not give a poo poo about clothes by how everyone wears the same five styles of outfits and all the women have the same purse.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

No trip to the yearly National Robotics Convention this time?

Dustin

Right... isn't Ed a defense lawyer?

On the Fastrack

No, she just lives in Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog's neighborhood.

Safe Havens

How did they do that? Can they remotely detect and modify every instance of mermaidDNA from a central hub?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I can't see Sally doing that, it does fit that Ted would be paranoid about it anyway though.

Buni

The Dinette Set

Hägar the Horrible

Reply All

Well, that explains why her hair looks that way.

Soup to Nutz

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

No, she just lives in Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog's neighborhood.

Fi is Jack?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Say Nothing posted:

Same with Brooke and cats.
And with that subtle segue...

9 Junji Lane.

You can't post a Cat Diary edit without using that one face.
You know the one.

Also, double the reading recommendation. It's a horror artist's cat diary, drawn in the style of a horror comic.
It's loving glorious.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

This is a pretty literal translation and it works decently as is, but there's actually a much better pun involved. Päihdekasvatus means "drug/substance abuse education", with päihde meaning any psychoactive substance (literally "intoxicant") and kasvatus being the "education" part. Besides that, kasvatus can also mean (let me copypaste from wiktionary here) "rearing, upbringing, raising, training, breeding, growing, nurture".

Fok_It

Pollen and dust allergies are the worst let me tell you

Say Nothing posted:

Mangareader, not even once.

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/itou-junjis-cat-diary-yon-mu-r3229

tiistai fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 7, 2014

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Oh God. The sugar coating is too dense. Please, for the love of God, go back to drawing feeder comics. :suicide:

Jane's World

:lol: at the last panel. Dorothy's eyes are all, like, *PLINK* wide open. :v: The only way I would've been able to sleep at all with my arm chained up like that would be if I was really, seriously, drunk. Even then, I can't imagine the pain it would feel in the morning.

Non Sequitur

:ughh:

GAAAA! Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's...

Kliban

I think this is really good in a :stare: sort of way.

9 Chickweed Lane 4/7/2003

MUST. USE. BLUR. FILTER. ON. EVERYTHING!!!1!111!!!

Zits

Oh c'mon Jeremy, veggies rock! Veggies and full fat Ranch Dip, of course. :v:

Kevin & Kell

Uh.. hmm. Ok, I guess that logic sort of works out.

A :siren: SEVERE BEEFCAKE ALERT :siren: has been posted for today's Nemi :v:

The little trickles of drool cracked me up.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Posting multiple Mikes Du Jour? Bad Dog Comix!

Now he's bringing food to the food, which he is also not eating. Poncho is putting a ton of willpower into being this sarcastic, I hope Carmen appreciates it.

Ballard Street

Silly old man, you don't need to say 'of himself,' that's the only think it is possible to take a selfie of!

Everybody is an rear end in a top hat to Winnie the Pooh

Trying not to go too far against the grain of the original characters.

• Locked thread