Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Week long tournaments aside, you only have to try hard once to join the rich, you know.

To be fair this game does require a pretty large time requirement because if you get a little bit behind suddenly you're behind big time, especially if they have kept up on "introduce new character, next tournament requires new character to place high, tournament is introducing a new character" cycle. It's sort of why I quit playing in the first place.

If the game isn't like that anymore I will totally get back into it though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
If anyone wants into Hired Goons there's space, we're at 6/7 so you just need to expand it to 8 (800HP)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Fat Samurai posted:

Recently I've gotten very tired of this game's "rich gets richer" approach and the week-long tournaments, so I'm dropping out of Pizza Dog in order to make room for someone who puts more effort into this.

I've had my fun and haven't paid a buck, so I guess I can't complain.

You're a cool dude to do this and Pizza Dog appreciates your service.

:patriot: :smugdog:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nevermind looks like we are good!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 6, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, since we seem to be doing a bit of the alliance tango right now then, right now, G.O.O.N. is at 17/18 spaces so, if you want to join a super-low-effort "big" alliance here we are, even if the adding a new space is going to be really expensive. On the other hand you get an almost-guaranteed human torch.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

I haven't played this game in quite a long time, have they gotten around to funbalancing Spider-Man or are they just focused on churning out new heroes at a really high pace? I think I quit right after Ares or Psylocke came out.

If by "new" characters you mean three star characters that are copy/pastes of old two star characters.

quote:

If the game isn't like that anymore I will totally get back into it though!

Nope the current pve event has several lucrative missions you can only do if you have the last three star character released.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Black Panther and Daredevil were also released.

I've actually been building up my Loki since I just really, really enjoy playing with him. And I seem to have gotten Daredevil covers while not paying attention. Combine those two and the game could become a really hellish shell game. :v:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Alliances were also introduced. This means that, in order to get the kind of rewards you used to get before, both you and your alliance have to place high in an event.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Why the oasis level is cheese for Modern Storm, or why you do not mess with Storm: a few minutes ago, I had my team blasted in the First Avenger tourney with only Storm left (the other two being lazy Cap and OBW). I was facing Daken and two star Thor, with the other guy's lazy Cap having easily been dispatched, but that level is tricky because you don't want to pick up too many greens with Daken, but if you let him soak them up then Thor will blast on you, which is what happened. Only Storm survived with 187 health left, and then I had no choice but to go ultra-cheese and Mistress of the Elements/Lightning Strike my way out of it. Somehow, some way, I not only knocked out Daken, but also a full health Thor. For being a one star, capped at fifty character, she still is crazy powerful.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, and if you add OBW and Thor, you can basically chain specials and rob colours nonstop, until the enemy team dies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Think about substituting a Grey Widow in that setup too. OBW relies on enemy ap to steal. Grey widow can turn purple into lots of green on her own.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
OBW is really only there as a guarantee that the pump on the rolling avalanche of tile destruction stays primed.
(Also, I don't have GSBW, though I will after this tourney)
And a counter to enemy M. Storms; who should be the primary target, given her world-class AP generation.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Auritech posted:

Why the oasis level is cheese for Modern Storm, or why you do not mess with Storm

I mess with storm all the time. She is easy pickings.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I mess with storm all the time. She is easy pickings.

Well, offensively, of course.

Also Magneto Now! is a another crazy ap generator you could probably switch out Thor or whatever, but he works better with Spider-Man than OBW mostly because of competing for who will use purple tiles in a tough spot usually doesn't end well, and the whole infinite stuns thing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Meh, everyday I feel more like a lab rat running inside some sort of contraption that doesn't let me advance. In the current PvP tourney I basically earn 25 points per match but lose 26 by two attacks every drat time. I was hovering at 540 points for an hour until I said gently caress it, it is not like gray widow is going to replace my OBW anytime soon.

JBones
Aug 21, 2002

Auritech posted:

Well, offensively, of course.

Also Magneto Now! is a another crazy ap generator you could probably switch out Thor or whatever, but he works better with Spider-Man than OBW mostly because of competing for who will use purple tiles in a tough spot usually doesn't end well, and the whole infinite stuns thing.

This is interesting. So right now I use 2-stars wolvie, thor, and obw (81, 75, and 70).... Would it be better to work towards a Spidey/MagNOW/someone-else build? Who would the someone else be? Oh jesus please don't tell me it's the human torch.

Also it's annoying, i'm #25 in the PVE event and literally 300 points separates me from #1, and 10 points separates me from #30. What a cluster.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

JBones posted:

This is interesting. So right now I use 2-stars wolvie, thor, and obw (81, 75, and 70).... Would it be better to work towards a Spidey/MagNOW/someone-else build? Who would the someone else be? Oh jesus please don't tell me it's the human torch.

Also it's annoying, i'm #25 in the PVE event and literally 300 points separates me from #1, and 10 points separates me from #30. What a cluster.

As people have observed earlier in the thread, Spider-Man is crazy powerful after a certain level because he can basically stun the entire opposing team over and over, and his heal can heal from an insane deficit if necessary although you sacrifice web tiles to do it. Plus, with his purple passive effect, he has a small shield, so he has a slight defensive advantage as well. Mags' purple keeps feeding Spider-Man, and after you get that going, it's impossible to stop it. Both of Mags' red or blue at full power are very dangerous weapons as well, since his red absorbs ap and his blue at level 5 can smash the entire board. I usually use Hulk as sort of a shock absorber but mine's at level 141 anyway, plus he can take the green and black tiles the other two don't use. Wolverine works fine instead, because you have the added bonus of healing Wolverine and building Spider-Man's heal if it's necessary.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nerf Spidey so I can stop using him please.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You don't want Magneto Now!'s blue at 5 though, because his purple is what you're taking him for and his red ends up doing like 4 times the damage AND generates AP. I'd go so far as to say it's tied with Hawkeye Modern for shittiest blue ability in the game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JBones posted:

Spidey is great if you have lots of blue covers, meh otherwise. If you can stun some suckers for 3 blue AP or less then a cast of Magneto's pink will give you enough ammo to stun the other team completely. Having another character that uses green/black and some yellow/red would be the best.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Joshlemagne posted:

If by "new" characters you mean three star characters that are copy/pastes of old two star characters.

Nope the current pve event has several lucrative missions you can only do if you have the last three star character released.

This is disappointing news but thanks for letting me know.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think I may actually start using Hood now that I've realised his yellow is also an ap generator. Just need to get it to 5 so it doesnt end turns.

That awful, awful costume though. :v:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

SynthOrange posted:

I think I may actually start using Hood now that I've realised his yellow is also an ap generator. Just need to get it to 5 so it doesnt end turns.

That awful, awful costume though. :v:

I was running around with Hood, Patch and OBW and wrecking the place.

Hood steals, OBW steals, Patch slices poo poo up, Hood shoots out their strike tiles with his yellow. Life was grand.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

trucutru posted:

Meh, everyday I feel more like a lab rat running inside some sort of contraption that doesn't let me advance. In the current PvP tourney I basically earn 25 points per match but lose 26 by two attacks every drat time. I was hovering at 540 points for an hour until I said gently caress it, it is not like gray widow is going to replace my OBW anytime soon.

It always seems to happen when I'm 3 points shy of another tier. Somebody flips the "dogpile" switch.

E: is there a list somewhere of alliance costs per slot?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Hey AgentsofGOON why are you struggling to surpass an alliance of 12 to keep top 100? Step it up already!

E: we barely got 97th :ohdear:

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 7, 2014

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Hey AgentsofGOON why are you struggling to surpass an alliance of 12 to keep top 100? Step it up already!

Pizza Dog ain't gonna clear top 100 on this :(

Eh, maybe we needed a tournament off.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pizza Dogs, worse than hitler.

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.

CaptainScraps posted:

In the words of Hood himself "Well that sucked."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainScraps posted:

When they upgrade the alliances' functionality I'll be interesting to see how many people have stopped playing. I'm quite sure that about half of G.O.O.N. doesn't really play. Since everybody is a leader it will really annoying to do some house cleaning, if we ever do so.

Oh, and Psylocke rewards again? Wow, somebody at D3 must really like her.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Pizza Dogs, worse than hitler.

My grey widow and ares are already maxed and the new FTL was released, so I contributed 50 points! :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I gave it my best shot, Pizza Dog. My GBW was only at 1 of each cover before, and I placed top 5, so at least I'm 2/2/1 now.
It's starting to look like I need to tank my MMR though, my competition is getting pretty fierce.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I got a Super Soldier token and drew... yellow Lazy Cap. :shepface:

At least now I can grind those easy fights in the PvE.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Has anyone else not received their tournament rewards after an hour?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Helical Nightmares posted:

Has anyone else not received their tournament rewards after an hour?

I just got my alliance rewards a minute ago. Got the normal rewards pretty quick. It varies, I've had it take more than an hour for normal rewards before.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

AgentsOfGOON finished top 100! Way to go guys! Now score me that black psylocke cover!

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I expanded bad alliance another spot so we are looking for our seventh member. If you want to expand the alliance that would be great or if you are gonna work towards opening a slot thats cool too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my God, Grey Widow Tournament with loving Oasis and Psylocke as prizes. My Psylocke's at 2/2/2 so I could use all the covers. Gonna get at least 600 points during this event.

Also, I'm #2 in the PvE event and I don't even have 50k points. God I hope they don't do any loving rubberband bullshit cause it would suck to be knocked out of top 50 on the last day.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Hired Goons is at 6/7 members and got 50HP alliance prizes again today - we might as well get some more people in here! 800HP to expand the next slot, get in

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Also, I'm #2 in the PvE event and I don't even have 50k points. God I hope they don't do any loving rubberband bullshit cause it would suck to be knocked out of top 50 on the last day.

..which is exactly what I've been seeing every day so far - I'm somewhere in the top ten when I go to bed, I wake up at 110. Seeing that events tend to finish around 5 AM in my timezone i can pretty much forget about ever getting the top reward tiers it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do get knocked down to like top 75 or so, but it's not drastic. Like, 1,000 points will easily put me back to top 30 or so and then a few more missions and I'm back to top 10.

I suppose it's a matter of timezone, like you said. It ends at 1 pm for me so I probably should be able to stay within top 50. No chance of me getting Wolverine X but I don't even have a single cover for him anyways so I see it as me saving a cover slot.