Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

P.d0t posted:

I thought Rule Zero was "don't give the DM any ideas" sort of like that whole "choose the form of the Destructor" thing from Ghostbusters.

That's like the counterpart to it. I learned fairly early on that unless you're playing through a prepped dungeon, never name like a really clever plan out loud until the last minute, because the enemy will start doing similar things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

LSTB posted:

That's like the counterpart to it. I learned fairly early on that unless you're playing through a prepped dungeon, never name like a really clever plan out loud until the last minute, because the enemy will start doing similar things.

the second corollary is that you should never state that doing ______ is foolproof or that ______ should be no big deal

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

If you discover a useful but obscure mechanic, don't build your character to exploit it, build your character to counter it, then exploit it once.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

01011001 posted:

the second corollary is that you should never state that doing ______ is foolproof or that ______ should be no big deal

uhhh you should always say poo poo like that

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
you should say your plans out loud too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nihnoz posted:

you should say your plans out loud too.

But but the DM might base his encounter/difficulty design around what we're doing!!

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
the one page rpg contest is pretty tough

i kind of want to cheat and copy other systems.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
why not give up and do nothing

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
one wiki rpg contest

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
already thought of a "mechanic" and if it sucks i can try try again

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

Mechwarrior first and second edition are both an awful jumbled mess of rules and have no real direction, the third edition/Classic Battletech RPG is kind of okay I guess, and the current edition of "Battletech RPG" is named "Battletech: A Time of War" and I have no real experience with it/any opinion on it.

edit: looking at the quickstart packet, you can put a character on a half-sheet of paper no issue so it can't be that bad

The quickstart rules cuts out a bunch of stuff for the most part. A Time of War is made by the Shadowrun dudes so its basically this giant over complicated mess that makes the game a huge chore to play with and the rules for using mechs is basically "go play battletech, heres a way to convert stats".

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i was never entirely clear what it was you're supposed to do in atow. if you want to have giant robot fights, you're probably going to just play battletech. there's nothing about battletech that makes me want to do things with its setting that are not giant robot fights

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

kingcom posted:

The quickstart rules cuts out a bunch of stuff for the most part. A Time of War is made by the Shadowrun dudes so its basically this giant over complicated mess that makes the game a huge chore to play with and the rules for using mechs is basically "go play battletech, heres a way to convert stats".

pretty much what i expected, but it honestly cant be worse than mechwarrior second edition

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

i was never entirely clear what it was you're supposed to do in atow. if you want to have giant robot fights, you're probably going to just play battletech. there's nothing about battletech that makes me want to do things with its setting that are not giant robot fights

I could see a political intrigue game working since the battletech setting's best parts is noble families murdering the poo poo out of each other on a regular basis. Seems like you want to run some kind of mercenary company setting. Like your the A-Team but instead of having everyone have some kind of vehicle skill so you can bounce between robot fighting and rpg stuff they decided to just make something that is overly complicated for zero benefit.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Every time I make a vehicle guy in an RPG the GM just has me roll my piloting/driving/whatever skill as if it was lockpicking because no one wants to spend the entire session doing the math on one person's vehicle combat, even if the game includes a fully functional vehicle combat system, so now I no longer roll a vehicle guy.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

Mmm *starts edging*

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o
If you don't like sick complex RPG charts you can go to hell

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

LSTB posted:

Every time I make a vehicle guy in an RPG the GM just has me roll my piloting/driving/whatever skill as if it was lockpicking because no one wants to spend the entire session doing the math on one person's vehicle combat, even if the game includes a fully functional vehicle combat system, so now I no longer roll a vehicle guy.

GURPS taught me that Vehicle Guy and Guns Guy should not be the same Guy In The Party.
You always want to have someone riding shotgun.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

this troper posted:

If you don't like sick complex RPG charts you can go to hell

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played a really good mutants and masterminds 3e campaign and I really liked the power creation system. The DM was really good though so I can't tell if the game was just good because of that or not.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ralp posted:

The DM was really good though so I can't tell if the game was just good because of that or not.

Probably that. Superhero games with HERO-style build-your-own-power rules (like M&M) are less games and more loose toolsets for making your own game from scratch. It's a lot of work for a GM

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

It's too bad Champions is the gold standard of superhero RPGs forever now because I really like what City of Heroes did with "dumbing down" Champions for the MMORPG audience, where you don't have to tweak base characteristics, just focus on picking powers that are cool and effective.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

LSTB posted:

It's too bad Champions is the gold standard of superhero RPGs forever now

Since when? I'd sooner play Marvel Heroic or Icons - and both feel much more like Supers games to me than Champions...

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

LSTB posted:

It's too bad Champions is the gold standard of superhero RPGs forever now because I really like what City of Heroes did with "dumbing down" Champions for the MMORPG audience, where you don't have to tweak base characteristics, just focus on picking powers that are cool and effective.

Hello! You appear to be posting from the year of our Lord 1999! It is very important that you carry a message to the president: something bad is going to happen to the World Trade Center...

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

neonchameleon posted:

Since when? I'd sooner play Marvel Heroic or Icons - and both feel much more like Supers games to me than Champions...

Those seem a bit more focused on the drama than I'd like, I want cool powers, and enemies balanced around the players having said cool powers. (point buy is really bad for this, you could build Superman and Jimmy Olsen from the same point value, but Superman would cost more to field in a wargame, which is a better metric for how characters should be blaanced)

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Hello! You appear to be posting from the year of our Lord 1999! It is very important that you carry a message to the president: something bad is going to happen to the World Trade Center...

CoH came out in 2004.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LSTB posted:

Those seem a bit more focused on the drama than I'd like, I want cool powers, and enemies balanced around the players having said cool powers. (point buy is really bad for this, you could build Superman and Jimmy Olsen from the same point value, but Superman would cost more to field in a wargame, which is a better metric for how characters should be blaanced)
Definitely Marvel FASERIP

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

speaking of editor allergies, reminder that kevin siembieda still lays out palladium books on a wax machine in the year of our lord 2014

that actually hasn't been true since maybe 2008! they finally use computer-assted layout!

still looks like utter poo poo, though, and has the same old rules copy and pasted everywhere

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LSTB posted:

CoH came out in 2004.

If we're talking about what I think we're talking about, it's based on the HERO system, which is as old as it is clunky as gently caress.

It takes on the utterly herculean task of trying to codify hard rules for every possible permutation of comic book character and super power, so it should be commended for that. But the huge breadth of possibility means that just going to a narrative-based game is much easier and in the end makes more sense.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If we're talking about what I think we're talking about, it's based on the HERO system, which is as old as it is clunky as gently caress.

It takes on the utterly herculean task of trying to codify hard rules for every possible permutation of comic book character and super power, so it should be commended for that. But the huge breadth of possibility means that just going to a narrative-based game is much easier and in the end makes more sense.

It's basically the only way to figure out whether superman would beat goku in a fair and unbiased manner.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Most people just use heuristics, guesswork, and half-remembered scenes. It's a sad state of affairs, to be sure.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
superman would trivially defeat goku because the west is culturally and morally superior

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
but which of superman and goku would win a hotdog eating contest

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
No way, Goku would spend three episodes bench pressing nuclear explosions in fifty times gravity and then I'd blow my brains out.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

but which of superman and goku would win a hotdog eating contest

you can't beat the japanese at hot dog eating

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Goku would easily defeat superman bc he's capable of blowing up suns btw.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
anyway these kinds of discussions are EXACTLY why we need a framework like HERO.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
What happens when we do it in HERO and GURPS and get different results?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I don't get whats wrong with this table. Roll to have someones headless body burst into flame and run around setting poo poo on fire. In the grim darkness of the far future there is only crit tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Gau posted:

What happens when we do it in HERO and GURPS and get different results?

running superheros in GURPS, that's a laugh.

• Locked thread