Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

VolticSurge posted:

I would say that they're SA quality. Just don't watch the Mass Effect stuff if you like the first 2,as I do.

I just watched their first ME3 episode, and man, they are angry about video games. Personally I find that amount of bitterness to be repulsive.

Maybe instead of watching something ongoing, you could watch something twice a million times Medibot better and watch Kirby's Epic Yarn by the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sociopastry posted:

Ah, sorry, should have mentioned that I've watched that one, too. Also, I suppose that third person shooters would be okay as well, because I am cracking up over RChimpCola's LP of Resident Evil 5.

For third person shooters, Slowbeef and Diabetus on Dead to Rights and Dead to Rights: Retribution are pretty funny.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bozart posted:

I just watched their first ME3 episode, and man, they are angry about video games. Personally I find that amount of bitterness to be repulsive.

Maybe instead of watching something ongoing, you could watch something twice a million times Medibot better and watch Kirby's Epic Yarn by the same.

HOLY poo poo YES

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

bladedsmoke posted:

Spoiler Warning is good if you don't mind what is occasionally very harsh criticism of the AAA games they play. Their latest Skyrim season is already one of their funniest.

I can second this. They are fairly good, but only if you like let's players that are very critical of what they are playing.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

MegaZeroX posted:

I can second this. They are fairly good, but only if you like let's players that are very critical of what they are playing.

Credit where credit is due, they do actually go out of their way to say what they like about works when they come to it. It's just that they have issues with plotholes (for the most part).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bozart posted:

I've just watched some of their Skyrim and Wlaking Dead stuff, and I must say that they are refreshingly honest and balanced, if anything.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I've not seen one the Archive or live on the forums but there has to be a good LP of Krusty's Super Fun House. I remember loving that game as a kid and want to see;
1) If I was just stupid and it's actually bad,
2) It played to completion. I don't recall ever doing so myself and now I want an internet person to do it for me.

EDIT
poo poo, this isn't the request thread. Sorry!

Popo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 9, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

MegaZeroX posted:

It's really easy for "critical" people to fall into the "being bitter and angry is my thing and people love it" trap where they end up hamming it way the gently caress up and shriek at the most minor things for minutes completely invalidating their previous thoughtful complaints, which is usually where i turn it off and never come back even if i generally agree with them. :( Here's hoping they can tread that very fine line.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's really easy for "critical" people to fall into the "being bitter and angry is my thing and people love it" trap where they end up hamming it way the gently caress up and shriek at the most minor things for minutes completely invalidating their previous thoughtful complaints, which is usually where i turn it off and never come back even if i generally agree with them. :( Here's hoping they can tread that very fine line.

They're pretty self-aware about it, actually. Most of the time, if they start complaining about something, one of the commentators will point it out (or they'll notice it themselves) and they'll make sure to keep it to acceptable levels. There's no screaming rage, though they did get close with Little Lamplight in Fallout 3.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Their style is quite different from the AVGN approach to criticism. When they really dig into a game's shortcoming, it's closer to solemn and eloquently expressed disappointment than to exaggerated rage.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Any good Dragon Age 1 or 2 LP's? I can't find any on-site or on the archives.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bladedsmoke posted:

Spoiler Warning is good if you don't mind what is occasionally very harsh criticism of the AAA games they play. Their latest Skyrim season is already one of their funniest.

Alright, I've watched more of their videos as background noise over the last few days, and i must give a resounding recommendation to them, despite some technical deficiencies they are the best video Lpers I've seen in some time.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Alright, I've watched more of their videos as background noise over the last few days, and i must give a resounding recommendation to them, despite some technical deficiencies they are the best video Lpers I've seen in some time.
I gave their first couple of Skyrim episodes a listen while doing some leatherworking. Very good background noise chatter :v: These guys are pretty good! That said, I haven't tried their older stuff yet.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Geop posted:

while doing some leatherworking.

Jeez, history, LPs, geology, and now leatherworking. Are you just like a jack of all trades uncle or something?

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Geop posted:

I gave their first couple of Skyrim episodes a listen while doing some leatherworking. Very good background noise chatter :v: These guys are pretty good! That said, I haven't tried their older stuff yet.

I've convinced your some kind of mythical wizard who lives in Middle Earth or something.

Or some kind of renaissance man. One of the two.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Anybody know a good mass effect 3 LP. I bought the game ages ago but the continued simplification/compartmentalization of the game rendered it unplayable for me, however I still would like to find out what happens. Somehow I managed to avoid almost all spoilers :shrug:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Geop posted:

Actual photo of Geop:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
If you hang out at a hackerspace like the sort in hackerspaces.org you'll pick up all sorts of interesting and useful skills like that. The one I'm a member of, any joe can pop in and learn:

• Welding
  • Carpentry
  • Pottery
  • Leatherworking
  • 3D printing
  • Circuit design
  • Laser cutting
  • Software engineering

And pretty much every cross-polination of these disciplines you could think of. I think someone's pushing for a loom recently, too. No idea where we're gonna put the loving thing.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Sneaky Fast posted:

Anybody know a good mass effect 3 LP. I bought the game ages ago but the continued simplification/compartmentalization of the game rendered it unplayable for me, however I still would like to find out what happens. Somehow I managed to avoid almost all spoilers :shrug:

? It's more complex than mass effect 2. Granted it's not like mass effect 1 where there were like a million versions of every weapon that you could barely tell the difference between, but it's not like a corridor shooter, i.e. Completely dumbed down and simplified. Just play the game. You sound like some guys i know who won't play anything past 2000 because it's "console popamole trash."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah, the real reason to not play Mass Effect 3 is because you're salty as hell about the places the story went, not the mechanics. The mechanics are rock goddamn solid and fun in the extreme. The story, however, has kept giant baby me from playing it much past the dumb as gently caress stuff that happens in the first few hours.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So I want to throw a recommendation out for Lost Kingdoms a game made by goon favorite studio From Software before they did all those Souls games. PAMaster is doing a really solid job showing off all the content of this really obscure Gamecube game from 2002. He does multiple runs of each level, splicing together the most interesting bits, and shows off all the games secrets and hidden crap.

Also, the Poxnora LP is also pretty cool and shows off a fairly neat game that would cost waaaay too much money to actually play seriously.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Coolguye posted:

• Welding
  • Carpentry
  • Pottery
  • Leatherworking
  • 3D printing
  • Circuit design
  • Laser cutting
  • Software engineering

Or get your degree. You can major in Business Management or Accounting.

I don't remember if it's been mentioned recently, but ChorpSaway's LP of Hatoful Boyfriend is nearing the finale, so if you want to get in on the fun and speculate on what's coming up before it's all there for everyone to see, now's the time. Yes, it's the dating sim game where all the partners are birds, and yes, it spent some time in another subforum gathering some less than tasteful posts, but if you give it a chance, you'll be surprised. Even now that you know there's a surprise coming. I'm not even entirely sold on the game, and I'm still hooked, in case you're worried about the inherent silliness putting you off.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, the real reason to not play Mass Effect 3 is because you're salty as hell about the places the story went, not the mechanics. The mechanics are rock goddamn solid and fun in the extreme. The story, however, has kept giant baby me from playing it much past the dumb as gently caress stuff that happens in the first few hours.

It just keeps getting dumber and dumber as the game goes on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It just keeps getting dumber and dumber as the game goes on.

Roboky told me as much, and if there is one thing I have learned over the years of doing LPs with the guy, it's to trust his judgment.

The Veler
Dec 26, 2012
Hey goons, has anyone LP'd Amnesia: Machine for Pigs yet? If so, which is the best? I remember watching an excellent LP of the original game with the use of subtitles but I don't remember the author.

Thanks!

Sientara
May 27, 2012

The Veler posted:

I remember watching an excellent LP of the original game with the use of subtitles but I don't remember the author.

Thanks!

The Amnesia: The Dark Descent LP by Cyanide Sandwich on the LP archive has subtitles. I remember it being good enough to watch all of even though it made me motion sick. You'll need to click on the Internet archive banner to watch it, it looks like both mirrors are dead.

There was a test post of Machine of Pigs, but I never saw the thread.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Likely because aMfP is an above average game but a terrible amnesia sequel made by a completely different developer. Interest was justifiably low.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I wanted to plug BestFriend SKULL's LP of Risk of Rain that he's doing right now. He's very informative, and genuinely interesting. Plus the way he lovingly goes over what he likes aout the game makes it super fun to listen to.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

The Veler posted:

Hey goons, has anyone LP'd Amnesia: Machine for Pigs yet?

davidspackage testposted one a while ago so we can only hope it happens :ohdear:.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I like to listen to LPs without really watching them when I'm gaming myself. I need voiced video LPs that are ridiculously long so I don't have to constantly hunt for the next one to watch. RPGs would be the best, since they tend to be the longest, but I'm open to anything that is long and at least partially informative so it's not just listening to a bunch of people talk for 40 hours.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Getsuya posted:

I like to listen to LPs without really watching them when I'm gaming myself. I need voiced video LPs that are ridiculously long so I don't have to constantly hunt for the next one to watch. RPGs would be the best, since they tend to be the longest, but I'm open to anything that is long and at least partially informative so it's not just listening to a bunch of people talk for 40 hours.

Spoiler Warning. Their videos run the gamut from 20 minutes to over an hour, and they talk about good game design, bad game design, and what drags the games they play down and brings them up. And sometimes they just shoot the poo poo for a bit when there's nothing worth talking about game-wise, but they have a pretty drat great dynamic with each other so even that's entertaining.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Galick posted:

Spoiler Warning. Their videos run the gamut from 20 minutes to over an hour, and they talk about good game design, bad game design, and what drags the games they play down and brings them up. And sometimes they just shoot the poo poo for a bit when there's nothing worth talking about game-wise, but they have a pretty drat great dynamic with each other so even that's entertaining.

I'm confused about who you're talking about here. Or do you mean all the long video LPs on SA in general? Right now I discovered the Endless Ocean series and that seems pretty good for a start, but after I get caught up on that I'm gonna want more 30-40 part ridiculously long series to check out.

Edit: OH the name of the people is Spoiler Warning. Okay. I thought you were actually warning me that you were going to spoil something about an LP I was going to watch or something. Sorry.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

Getsuya posted:

I like to listen to LPs without really watching them when I'm gaming myself. I need voiced video LPs that are ridiculously long so I don't have to constantly hunt for the next one to watch.

When I needed something like this, I finally cracked and watched Pork Lift and wateyad's Final Fantasy XIII-2 LP. I've linked it in playlist form for convenience.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Dyslexiactic posted:

When I needed something like this, I finally cracked and watched Pork Lift and wateyad's Final Fantasy XIII-2 LP. I've linked it in playlist form for convenience.

Nice. I'll add that to my watch list after Endless Ocean. I usually don't like watching LPs of games I already played, but all I remember about 13-2 is that I looked up a guide on how to get the most broken monsters and then steamrolled through it fast enough that I had forgotten it by the next day. I hope they explore it a little more than I did.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Getsuya posted:

You could always try Geop's Dark Souls LP?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I don't know if it matches your request, but i've enjoyed mynameisnotlilly's stuff on a second screen for a some time. He has the perfect voice for it and plays through incredibly long RPGs at a fairly thoughtful pace. He uses a bit of character definition to keep it from just running down the questlog as a milktoast paragon, but it's not overbearing - i say that as someone who really can't stand "in-character" or roleplay playthroughs - and shows some paths that i personally would never see so that's interesting.

He has a heavily edited showing of Wasteland, but if it's "ridiculous long" you need he's got you covered, with "shorter" Fallout 1 (147 parts) and 2 (153 parts) playlists and a 751 video Baldurs Gate 1 and a 844 video Baldurs Gate 2 playthrough. To be fair they're 10-15 minute segments because that's what youtube was back then.

Needless to say i haven't made it through those but from what i've seen he's fairly consistent in style and pacing, so if you like his thing you're probably set for a while. I don't know enough about these games to know if he plays terrible and triggers backseat gaming OCD rage, but he does occasionally pick sub-optimal choices intentionally to fit the narrative so that's not the focus anyway.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 13, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I don't know if it matches your request, but i've enjoyed mynameisnotlilly's stuff on a second screen for a some time. He has the perfect voice for it and plays through incredibly long RPGs at a fairly thoughtful pace. He uses a bit of character definition to keep it from just running down the questlog as a milktoast paragon, but it's not overbearing - i say that as someone who really can't stand "in-character" or roleplay playthroughs - and shows some paths that i personally would never see so that's interesting.

I must STRONGLY advise against any of his videos beyond Wasteland. He plays blind and is extremely incompetent. It took him like an hour to get out of the starting cave of Fallout 1 (the one where you just need to run past a couple of rats).

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Getsuya posted:

Bobbin Threadbare's Thief lps are pretty good for that, since he's covered all three games. There's also his ongoing Deus Ex lp which is super informative.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I must STRONGLY advise against any of his videos beyond Wasteland. He plays blind and is extremely incompetent. It took him like an hour to get out of the starting cave of Fallout 1 (the one where you just need to run past a couple of rats).

Eh I actually checked it out and I don't mind. Like RoadCrewWorker I'm not familiar with these games myself so his fumblings are exactly what I'd be going through if I was playing it so there's actually a kind of camaraderie. However, I will put them off until after I get through Endless Ocean and 13-2. Thanks guys for all the suggestions, the Thief series looks great as well. This should be enough to keep me going for a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Getsuya posted:

Nice. I'll add that to my watch list after Endless Ocean. I usually don't like watching LPs of games I already played, but all I remember about 13-2 is that I looked up a guide on how to get the most broken monsters and then steamrolled through it fast enough that I had forgotten it by the next day. I hope they explore it a little more than I did.

They didn't actually play theough all of XIII-2 (They did get all the way through the first one). The Posse (KFJ, Pokecapn, Medibot and the like) did do a complete playthrough of XIII-2. And by complete, I mean that. They used an FAQ to get every ending, basically complete the bestiary and did all of the DLCs. As it is with the Posse's usual LP's, though, it's not exactly informative. They actually do pay attention to the game, and talk primarily about it (as far as I remember at least), but it is a bunch of buds hanging out playing games so they do go on tangents and poo poo pretty often.

• Locked thread