Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Thanks. Don't know how I never heard of them until now.

Gamma Nerd posted:

There are a few Japanese bands similar to Fushitsusha/LRD that might be interesting. Look into Kousokuya, Vajra and Suishou no Fune. You mgiht also like OOIOO and ROVO if Boredoms are your cup of tea.

I also know all of those as well. Thanks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumptious
Dec 19, 2013
If anyone is a fan of deep house remixes I would recommend you check out Kygo. Just discovered him recently and have really been enjoying his remixes. Here is a SoundCloud link to his profile. I believe he is from Norway. https://soundcloud.com/kygo

He also has one song of his own that I have found called 'Laber Bris' let me know if you find any others!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

Thanks. Don't know how I never heard of them until now.

If you like them, give Laddio Bolocko a shot too. It's the band their guitarist played in back in the 90s. Kinda similar stuff, but add some krautrock and a sax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76nIqWVyKFA

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Skilleddk posted:

I recently relistened Thursday, and old favorite of mine. Looked for a bit more similar music and found Orchid and Touche Amore. Any more similar? Short, heavy and not too melodic is what I'd say

there's a lot similar. your genre touchstones here are basically emoviolence and powerviolence.

emoviolence was coined as a joke by in/humanity but remains the main descriptor for bands that walked the line between pv and late/early 90s/00s hardcore and emo. see: orchid, palatka, end of the century party, assholeparade, reversal of man, in/humanity and jenny piccolo. there are a lot more and generally you'll see a lot of things lumped into emoviolence because nobody can agree on what anything sounds like. cruise last.fm tags or something and you'll see how much things overlap. i personally exclude a lot of things from emoviolence and consider it a very small scene centered in florida but MANY DISAGREE. this is where things will be similar to the specific bands you mentioned. listen to ampere also someone already posted that. will killingsworth from orchid plays guitar in that.

powerviolence is easier. its what you added crying to or w/e to make emoviolence (j o k i n g). it's what fits 'short, heavy and not melodic'. it's punishing and rude and isn't here to waste time. see: crossed out, dropdead, spazz, charles bronson, hellnation, capitalist casualties, bucket full of teeth (another will killingsworth band), infest, extortion, man is the bastard, the endless blockade, weekend nachos and probably a lot of other things i cant remember right now. its easy to find more pv bands. please do it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Gasp are a pretty cool powerviolence band, with some noise rock/sound collage stuff going on.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I have very few female vocalists in my current library and I feel that needs to expand.

Current Female Artists:
Jefferson Starship (with Grace Slick)
Sky Ferreria
Janelle Monae
CHVRCHES

Any suggestions?

I'd shy away from country as that tends to not be my thing but otherwise I'm pretty open.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Cerepol posted:

I have very few female vocalists in my current library and I feel that needs to expand.

Current Female Artists:
Sky Ferreria
Janelle Monae
CHVRCHES

Any suggestions?

I'd shy away from country as that tends to not be my thing but otherwise I'm pretty open.

There are a lot of really great bands with women singing in them so it's going to be really hard to just be like "yeah here you go" to say nothing of the thousands of female solo artists that are Important

I'd really suggest going off and dipping a foot in the shallow end of the pool with "best female vocalists" into your google bar and figuring out what you like and don't like, because that poo poo is like... nothing. Nothing to go off of.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cerepol posted:

Current Female Artists:
Sky Ferreria
Janelle Monae
CHVRCHES

Any suggestions?

Lana Del Ray
Ali Barter
Allison Weiss
The Aquadolls
Best Coast
Bikini Kill
Cayetana
Chumped
Clairy Browne & The Bangin' Rackettes
Courtney Barnett
The Courtneys
Cults
Ellie Goulding
Emiliana Torrini
Erica Freas
Be Your Own Pet
Grimes
Haim
Ida Maria
Jen Buxton
Kate Nash
Laura Marling
Lisa Mitchell
London Grammar
Lucy Wilson
Regina Spektor
Rilo Kiley
Sia
Slingshot Dakota
Soko
Stonefield
Tancred

I went through my iphone and posted most of the female vocalists on there.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

There are a lot of really great bands with women singing in them so it's going to be really hard to just be like "yeah here you go" to say nothing of the thousands of female solo artists that are Important

I'd really suggest going off and dipping a foot in the shallow end of the pool with "best female vocalists" into your google bar and figuring out what you like and don't like, because that poo poo is like... nothing. Nothing to go off of.

Alright, maybe strong female vocals, rather than the hushed almost whispery type.
Preferable genres being Rap or SynthPop or House or Rock.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Cerepol posted:

Current Female Artists:
Sky Ferreria
Janelle Monae
CHVRCHES

Any suggestions?

I would be hugely remiss if I didn't mention Sleater-Kinney.

Also:
Veruca Salt (quick note: the older the album, the better it is)
Kate Bush
Bikini Kill
Babes in Toyland

all the above are rock-oriented. For electronic, you could try Holden & Thompson

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Cerepol posted:

Current Female Artists:
Sky Ferreria
Janelle Monae
CHVRCHES

Any suggestions?

Royal Trux is essential when it comes to female vocalists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqYmoZqyknw

Bad Jesus Experience is also essential when it comes to female vocalists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3Dfi5m7UU

Oh and Yanka: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcgS9MypGaA

e: these are strong

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cerepol posted:

female vocals
Jess and the Ancient Ones, for sure. She's not that great technically I guess, but drat her voice gets to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvkv0KSbE14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hgWxb1bXkE

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Just a question to you all, what's the best way to stay up to date with current contemporary music? I live in a foreign country but I'd like to stay up to date so I can talk with my friends back home about it instead just getting introduced to it. Most of my friends here don't really bother listening to things in the vein of Nate Reuss, Bruno Mars, or even JT

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Just a question to you all, what's the best way to stay up to date with current contemporary music? I live in a foreign country but I'd like to stay up to date so I can talk with my friends back home about it instead just getting introduced to it. Most of my friends here don't really bother listening to things in the vein of Nate Reuss, Bruno Mars, or even JT

Disable AdBlock.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Billboard has an online website. Alternatively, it is Mumford and Sons and it is always Mumford and Sons

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Cerepol posted:

Current Female Artists:
Sky Ferreria
Janelle Monae
CHVRCHES

Any suggestions?

Bjork. Why don't you have Bjork?

And Kate Bush.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Okay let's try and keep requests a little narrower than just "female vocalist", otherwise it just becomes PYF.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

het posted:

Okay let's try and keep requests a little narrower than just "female vocalist", otherwise it just becomes PYF.

Sorry about that I realized I had a whole in my library and needed to plug it but I didn't have much to go off of.

Thanks for the replies everyone, gives me a bunch of material to go through to hopefully narrow it down to a better question next time.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Not the greatest as the rotation is rather poor but Groovesharks popular playlist might not be bad idea. I have no idea if grooveshark is country limited as it works in Canada.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 10, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Does anyone have some good garage punk or modern lo-fi garage rock recommendations?

Just looking for lo-fi, rough around the edges kind of stuff. For examples, this is who is on my current playlist:

- Black Lips
- Nobunny
- Jay Reatard
- Ty Segall
- Younger Lovers

Just looking to supplement the playlist with additional artists. Thanks!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Japandroids
Cloud Nothings
Iceage
The Men
The Dirtbombs

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Japandroids
Cloud Nothings
Iceage
The Men
The Dirtbombs

Can't believe I haven't heard of The Dirtbombs until right now. They're like right up my alley.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Blast Fantasto posted:

Does anyone have some good garage punk or modern lo-fi garage rock recommendations?

No Age

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Just looking for lo-fi, rough around the edges kind of stuff. For examples, this is who is on my current playlist:

- Black Lips
- Nobunny
- Jay Reatard
- Ty Segall
- Younger Lovers

thee oh sees, coachwhips, blasted canyons, total control, gg king, homostupids, k-holes, naomi punk, puffy areolas, running, the lovely limits, stolen girls, hank wood & the hammerheads, guilty parents

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Can't believe I haven't heard of The Dirtbombs until right now. They're like right up my alley.

You may also like The Gories. Same frontman, but much rawer. Really the whole Detroit garage scene might be your thing.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Ever since seeing them at Coachella last year, I've been digging the hell out of Grinderman. More specifically, their more bluesy, fuzzy, fast stuff like No Pussy Blues and Mickey Mouse and the Goodbye Man. Could someone recommend anything like that?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blast Fantasto posted:

- Black Lips
- Nobunny
- Jay Reatard
- Ty Segall
- Younger Lovers

Straight Arrows

http://straightarrows.bandcamp.com/album/never-enough-cant-stand-it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Looking for two very different recommendations.

First of all, I would love some more black metal. I used to disregard most of this genre but I've started really coming around to it and got great recs last year based on a few bands. I seem to like stuff that's either super-riffy or pretty melodic. Not really into "blackgaze" or ambient stuff. Here's every BM band in my library (and some that are a bit genre-bending):

Absu*
Anaal Nathrakh
Arckanum
Bathory
Darkthrone
Deathspell Omega*
Diabolical Masquerade*
Dissection*
Emperor
Enslaved*
Hail Spirit Noir
Immortal
Infernal War*
Inquisition*
Ludicra
Mayhem
Melechesh
Rotting Christ
Sabbat (Japan)
Sacramentum
Satyricon
Sigh*
Vinterland
Wolves in the Throne Room

*I particularly love these ones

Second (and I sort of asked for this before but got more about guitarists and fusion groups), I would like some more solo bass players (preferably instrumental and electric) to make myself feel bad about my own playing. I've already got stuff by these guys:

Jaco Pastorius
Marcus Miller
Stanley Clarke
Les Claypool
Stuart Hamm

I'm for sure planning to get into Victor Wooten and I'm interested in Me'shell Ndegeocello. Normally I would scout out some names on RateYourMusic, but there are very few album ratings for this kind of music, so I'll trust goons' word. Are Jeff Berlin and Billy Sheehan worth checking out?

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 14, 2014

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
If you like Dissection, I'd recommend checking out Noire, they're a Canadian band that play a sort of melodic black metal. They released an album last year called Dark Reverence, here's a track from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhvoFRS38Ac

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Looking for two very different recommendations.

First of all, I would love some more black metal. I used to disregard most of this genre but I've started really coming around to it and got great recs last year based on a few bands. I seem to like stuff that's either super-riffy or pretty melodic. Not really into "blackgaze" or ambient stuff. Here's every BM band in my library (and some that are a bit genre-bending):

Absu*
Anaal Nathrakh
Arckanum
Bathory
Darkthrone
Deathspell Omega*
Diabolical Masquerade*
Dissection*
Emperor
Enslaved*
Hail Spirit Noir
Immortal
Infernal War*
Inquisition*
Ludicra
Mayhem
Melechesh
Rotting Christ
Sabbat (Japan)
Sacramentum
Satyricon
Sigh*
Vinterland
Wolves in the Throne Room

*I particularly love these ones

Absu :rock: Melechesh are pretty similar to them, I think.

Check out Infestus. Been plugging them recently - one of the best one-man acts around IMO. Impeccably composed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stPctd7f7gI

Sorhin have some great riffs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4KJFdI4xSc

And I have no idea why you haven't looked into Blut aus Nord, Thorns, Dodheimsgard, and The Axis of Perdition, since you seem to like dissonant and industrial black metal.

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010

Second (and I sort of asked for this before but got more about guitarists and fusion groups), I would like some more solo bass players (preferably instrumental and electric) to make myself feel bad about my own playing. I've already got stuff by these guys:

Jaco Pastorius
Marcus Miller
Stanley Clarke
Les Claypool
Stuart Hamm

I'm for sure planning to get into Victor Wooten and I'm interested in Me'shell Ndegeocello. Normally I would scout out some names on RateYourMusic, but there are very few album ratings for this kind of music, so I'll trust goons' word. Are Jeff Berlin and Billy Sheehan worth checking out?

While he's not normally a jazz bassist, Squarepusher has a live album of Solo Electric Bass that's pretty impressive.

Adam Nitti plays with a band but might fit the category.

Jonas Hellborg is a ridiculous bassist with two solo albums, The Bassic Thing(can't find link) and Elegant Punk.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pogobubba posted:

Jonas Hellborg is a ridiculous bassist with two solo albums, The Bassic Thing(can't find link) and Elegant Punk.
Apparently he has a lot more than that, including an album with Buckethead and Michael Shrieve (the drummer of Santana during their peak). I need to get on that.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm looking for recommendations for old-time music or Americana.

Basically bluegrass / traditional folk music / very early country. Whether it's modern or traditional, I don't care so long as it's on spotify.

This is an example of the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I checked out the CD randomly from the library because I liked the cover art and I'm really digging it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waXUxhDCg3U

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for old-time music or Americana.

the Smithsonian Folkways Anthology or anything from their Classic series will give you a nice variety/bunch of starting points. my particular favorites- not that they're necessarily on these collections- are Flatt and Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Doc Watson, the Carter Family, and Ralph Stanley. also, Almeda Riddle (my great-great aunt!) is pretty awesome if you want some unaccompanied, shaped-note traditional ballads.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

funkybottoms posted:

the Smithsonian Folkways Anthology or anything from their Classic series will give you a nice variety/bunch of starting points. my particular favorites- not that they're necessarily on these collections- are Flatt and Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Doc Watson, the Carter Family, and Ralph Stanley. also, Almeda Riddle (my great-great aunt!) is pretty awesome if you want some unaccompanied, shaped-note traditional ballads.

Thank you so much, these are some great jumping off points. Smithsonian Folkways is great, I've listened to their Woody Guthrie collections but not much else so there's a ton of content right there.

Listening to Bill Monroe now :)

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010

Apparently he has a lot more than that, including an album with Buckethead and Michael Shrieve (the drummer of Santana during their peak). I need to get on that.

I just picked those two albums because they're playing unaccompanied. For band he's played in, I'd recommend the stuff he has done with Shawn Lane and Jeff Sipe. This crazy album has some good stuff on it if you're down for a bit of ridiculous jazz-metal.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which volume of Thunderdome is considered the best? I tend to prefer oldschool hardcore a bit more.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pogobubba posted:

I just picked those two albums because they're playing unaccompanied. For band he's played in, I'd recommend the stuff he has done with Shawn Lane and Jeff Sipe. This crazy album has some good stuff on it if you're down for a bit of ridiculous jazz-metal.

Cool, thanks. When I said solo I just meant that they're the songwriter/lead instrumentalist and have their name on the cover, really, as opposed to being part of a group. They can be accompanied by a band.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Cool, thanks. When I said solo I just meant that they're the songwriter/lead instrumentalist and have their name on the cover, really, as opposed to being part of a group. They can be accompanied by a band.

if you're educating yourself on the great bassists, Larry Graham should be on your list. he was in Sly and the Family Stone before forming Graham Central Station, which also made some great music, but his self-titled stuff from the 80s is pretty weak and not at all funky.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I like Blood Orange, Toro y Moi, and Twin Shadow. I've given other bands listed under "Chillwave" on Wikipedia a shot, but none of them really caught my fancy besides Com Truise.

Any recommendations?

Neon Indian is also okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

unlimited shrimp posted:

I like Blood Orange, Toro y Moi, and Twin Shadow. I've given other bands listed under "Chillwave" on Wikipedia a shot, but none of them really caught my fancy besides Com Truise.

Any recommendations?

Neon Indian is also okay.

I find Caveman and Wild Nothing similar to Twin Shadow, may check those out.