Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
You can literally scope the pirate before you answer though. If you're rocking the wrong equipment just duck out with a wave and a bribe, but if there's a chance you can reclaim them intact than you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Inadequately posted:

Okay, I just unlocked the Fed Cruiser C, and what is the deal with this ship? How are you supposed to get it off the ground?

Zeron posted:

Survive until your awesome flak artillery destroys the enemy and hope you get a weapon drop before you are worn down.

IAmTheRad posted:

Upgrade the artillery and throw power in it until you actually get a gun.
You guys realise you start with an upgraded clone bay and a teleporter right? Board that poo poo dawg

Wow Bagger
Mar 30, 2010

Insert name here posted:

You guys realise you start with an upgraded clone bay and a teleporter right? Board that poo poo dawg

I put the two Zoltans in the shield room and just threw the mantis and human at the enemy ships. Drown the enemies in wave after wave of clones. If they come back wounded put them in an airless room until you get a fresh one at full health.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The in-game description is literally 'Only the most suicidal of infantry fly this ship.' What was the thought process that led to this design? 'We've got a ship armed only with a rock catapult. There's pretty much a 100% chance of them dying on their first engagement. Let's stick a cloning bay in there, put out a casting call for depressed dudes who like dying over and over again, and call it a day." Meanwhile, the rebels design a ship with every superweapon known to man.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Inadequately posted:

The in-game description is literally 'Only the most suicidal of infantry fly this ship.' What was the thought process that led to this design? 'We've got a ship armed only with a rock catapult. There's pretty much a 100% chance of them dying on their first engagement. Let's stick a cloning bay in there, put out a casting call for depressed dudes who like dying over and over again, and call it a day." Meanwhile, the rebels design a ship with every superweapon known to man.

Zoltans explode when they die.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Vargs posted:

I don't really understand shield hacking. The shields turn purple and the bar starts draining, and then...nothing? The actual shield pips don't seem to go away. I'm sure I'm missing something, although I've still found it useful if only to isolate the shield room so that they need to bust down the door to repair it.

Fully upgraded it will drop three mothership shield pips for.. like a second or so. Doesn't seem like much but its plenty when you have multiple beam weapons, and anti defense mod and beam drone and combat drone (or just the combat drone really). Since the second the shield is down to one pip your combat drone will do the rest and you're going to sweep the poo poo out of it with every beam you can whatever poor schmuck is inside will die a horrible death and the shields are down for long enough to take them offline permanently with your second shots, IE win condition every time. Worst case you mess up the timing, if so you just wait out the hacking cooldown and use your win button again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On my last game I got 7 crewmen, repair arm, scrap arm, weapon pre-igniter, mind control and a hacking unit.

I died on the next jump. :ftl:

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Jibo posted:

Eh, they'll get a bar of damage in if you don't stick someone in there to distract them for a bit but the big problem for me is that they almost always hit the pilot and kill my evasion.

Yeah that happens to me a lot too. I'll probably start getting at least one Slug for a pilot just so he can't be mind controlled.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shield is usually the last thing I'd go hack too. Weapons to buy that extra few seconds before you can knock em out, counter hack, pilot to drop them to no evasion, teleport them home, etc etc. Shields if had a ton of beam weapons but otherwise much better ways to use it. I imagine this is on purpose since otherwise it would always be hack shields and go sick.

I did finally win a round with a flak I, flak II, and.. I forget but with all that flak and a hack on the pilot it was like shutgunning fish in a barrel. Getting a win with no cloak or teleport was weird

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Fighting the half made rebel ship is ridiculous.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Well, I had a pretty smooth run with the Engi Cruiser C. Things died fast. Then I was stupid and changed out my layout to fight the Rebel Cruiser. I died without doing 1 pib of damage to it. Should have used the hack on the Cloak instead of my usual go-to of the shield. I did have the Crystal Lockout Bomb that I got from a random event that I could use on the shield if I wanted a few extra seconds of living.
Didn't help that my weapons guys always got killed. How did my ROCK guy get a disease that killed him and didn't allow him to get resurrected?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

IAmTheRad posted:

Didn't help that my weapons guys always got killed. How did my ROCK guy get a disease that killed him and didn't allow him to get resurrected?

He'd just get resurrected with the virus, ala battlestar.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Just started playing this again after I got wind of the expansion. Looks awesome!

First Advanced win, on normal. Flak is truly, truly ridiculous. Even if it was nerfed only to work on shields it would still be amazing.

And a loss. Zoltan B is one of my favorite ships, and this run was going so well otherwise. My stealth got hit early, my pilot mind-controlled, and some boarders in bad positions did me in.

I really wanna play with Slug C, but I hate Slug B so i'm doing this on Easy. This is my current loadout, at the end of the first sector. Did Easy always throw this much poo poo at you?
Not pictured: Hull Beam, also useless aug I got for free and sold along with Slug Repair Gel.

LethalGeek posted:

Shield is usually the last thing I'd go hack too. Weapons to buy that extra few seconds before you can knock em out, counter hack, pilot to drop them to no evasion, teleport them home, etc etc. Shields if had a ton of beam weapons but otherwise much better ways to use it. I imagine this is on purpose since otherwise it would always be hack shields and go sick.

I did finally win a round with a flak I, flak II, and.. I forget but with all that flak and a hack on the pilot it was like shutgunning fish in a barrel. Getting a win with no cloak or teleport was weird

Yeah, Piloting or Engines is my first choice hack, with one of Teleport, Hacking, or Mind Control if it's a problem for me. Dropping their evasion to nothing and then unloading everything into either weapons or shields is usually pretty crippling.

edit: won the Easy Slug B game. Uh, easily.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 8, 2014

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just The Facts posted:

Anyone else have to resist the urge to narrate, out loud, whats going on when you play?

I constantly make up stories with my crew, which leads to the unfortunate side effect of not wanting to trade out the original crew members for other species even when it would be beneficial to my game. Also, I have trouble not putting a original member in the Captain's seat (pilot).

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I just unlocked the swallow, what is up with that ship? Does it get a 4 room teleporter or something?

Basically the same layout, clonebay instead of medbay, and you trade the BL2 and artemis (2 of the best weapons) for a dual laser and ion stunner. What is the advantage? It looks like a shittier kestrel with a token lanius.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
I still wish fewer events could outright kill your crew. Like, I know it isn't necessarily the end of a playthrough to lose a guy, but crewmen are (unless you've got a clone bay) a lot less replaceable than ship HP. I dunno' maybe if more of the events that could kill your guys had the potential to give you a commensurate reward to offset the risk involved (like a low-mid level weapon or augment), or if your crew could be injured (like, via multi-jump long status effect) instead of killed I'd be less annoyed by them. As is I'm finding myself really tempted to just start over when I lose a guy to an event because it feels very unfun.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Sanctum posted:

I just unlocked the swallow, what is up with that ship? Does it get a 4 room teleporter or something?

Looks like it's a challenge mode ship like Engi A B, Slug B, Stealth B, or Rock A. One of the three ship variants for almost every ship is a turd, and Kestral C is one of them. That said, the clonebay and Lanius could probably allow some pretty mean boarding.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 8, 2014

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Haha, I got an event where a pirate was arguing with some settlers and one of the blue options was something along the lines of '(Fire Bomb) Teach those pirates how to really threaten uncivilized settlers'. I decided to attack the pirate, but now I'm wondering how that would have gone. Maybe I'll pick that if I run into it as Rock B, seems in character.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Snow Job posted:

Looks like it's a challenge mode ship like Engi A, Slug B, Stealth B, or Rock A. One of the three ship variants for almost every ship is a turd, and Kestral C is one of them. That said, the clonebay and Lanius could probably allow some pretty mean boarding.

Why does everyone say the Stealth B is a terrible ship? It's a bit complicated for a sector or so, but as long as you don't come up against double beam weapons, you can usually survive pretty easily, since you can melt everything with the Glaive beam until you get enough scrap together to buy shields.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Snow Job posted:

Looks like it's a challenge mode ship like Engi A, Slug B, Stealth B, or Rock A. One of the three ship variants for almost every ship is a turd, and Kestral C is one of them. That said, the clonebay and Lanius could probably allow some pretty mean boarding.

You mean Engi B right? Engi A is amazing and B is a hot pile of rear end.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jibo posted:

You mean Engi B right? Engi A is amazing and B is a hot pile of rear end.

The best part about Engi B is, as I previous posted, the first random even of the game can game over you with bad enough luck.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Engi B is just rear end. It's room configuration is bad, it doesnt start with enough drone parts, and it's starting weapons are bad. The compromises you make aren't compensated by unique strengths- compare it to Mantis B in tradeoffs.

I think Engi B should have been:
-Only 2 weapon slots but 4 drone slots.
-No starting weapons
-Augment increases drone respawn time.
-Start with backup battery, Attack Drone, Beam Drone, Repair drone.
-Start with 3 bars of shield making the upgrade to 2 bubbles faster.
-Start with level 2 doors
-Have very little starting reactor power.

This would be an interesting ship. You have no weapons, constantly have to juggle power, and could set up for a dedicated droneship. You'd still get hard-countered by anti-drone drones though.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

My first AE win was with Engi B. :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Swallow seems to mostly be the Kestral without missiles. I guess it hits a little faster, and Dual Lasers are arguably better than Burst Laser II in the long run.

Basically it's probably less good than the Kestral but that's not really saying much because the Kestral is one of the best ships

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 8, 2014

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ernie Muppari posted:

I still wish fewer events could outright kill your crew. Like, I know it isn't necessarily the end of a playthrough to lose a guy, but crewmen are (unless you've got a clone bay) a lot less replaceable than ship HP. I dunno' maybe if more of the events that could kill your guys had the potential to give you a commensurate reward to offset the risk involved (like a low-mid level weapon or augment), or if your crew could be injured (like, via multi-jump long status effect) instead of killed I'd be less annoyed by them. As is I'm finding myself really tempted to just start over when I lose a guy to an event because it feels very unfun.

If you're out of sector 1, don't have a blue option and can't afford to lose a shipmate, don't take the chance. Giant alien spiders are no joke.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Clone bays can prevent a number of deaths due to spider dismemberment, crew members in space-suits getting knocked away from the ship, and various other instantly dead results. Funny enough, this sort of immortality with bad choices during events led to my ultimate demise when I lost my max skilled weapon crew to the diseased colony. It's apparently against federation regulations to shoot my infected crew member in the head and clone him :/.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I feel like I'm getting so wrecked in phase 2 that I just don't have enough hull points to last in phase 3 - usually at that point the only repair stations are 4 or 5 jumps away too

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Inadequately posted:

Inadequately posted:

Haha, I got an event where a pirate was arguing with some settlers and one of the blue options was something along the lines of '(Fire Bomb) Teach those pirates how to really threaten uncivilized settlers'. I decided to attack the pirate, but now I'm wondering how that would have gone. Maybe I'll pick that if I run into it as Rock B, seems in character.

I get the feeling that the Federation is actually the rear end in a top hat Team of the FTL universe.

In one of the new events, I encountered Rebels distributing supplies to civilians, with the options of fighting the Rebels and stealing the supplies. I took the supplies and they turned out to be just vaccines. I got the same event again, and fought the Rebels but left the supplies alone, and I got a communication from a civilian woman about how her son was on that ship and they're all probably going to die now without them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kilty Monroe posted:

I get the feeling that the Federation is actually the rear end in a top hat Team of the FTL universe.

In one of the new events, I encountered Rebels distributing supplies to civilians, with the options of fighting the Rebels and stealing the supplies. I took the supplies and they turned out to be just vaccines. I got the same event again, and fought the Rebels but left the supplies alone, and I got a communication from a civilian woman about how her son was on that ship and they're all probably going to die now without them.

Notice though that not a single non-human ever works for the Rebels. They're not horrible monsters... at least, not to other humans.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kilty Monroe posted:

I thought that was an interesting inversion of the typical thing where you're always playing as the rebels against some big, scary empire. Maybe you are the bad guys, who knows? The game did have Chris Avellone on board for writing in the expansion so there's bound to be some neat stuff.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Kinda curious, is there a mod that changes shops from random stock to just making everything available? Alternately, how hard would it be to mess with that?

Like, I kinda want shops to be rare and in their place have more random weapon caches/loot from enemy ships. Then when you get to a shop it's like "alright cool, I'll pick up [thing] to go with this [other thing found randomly]."

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tracula posted:

I thought that was an interesting inversion of the typical thing where you're always playing as the rebels against some big, scary empire. Maybe you are the bad guys, who knows? The game did have Chris Avellone on board for writing in the expansion so there's bound to be some neat stuff.

The impression I have gotten from various events and interactions with NPCs is that the Federation was all-inclusive everyone-is-equal but on the flipside it was also horribly corrupt, inefficient and decadent.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Mind control and the teleporter are hilarious for the flagship. Phase 1 abduct them one by one after killing the missile battery. It makes it easier and safer to destroy their crew first phase.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Mind control and the teleporter are hilarious for the flagship. Phase 1 abduct them one by one after killing the missile battery. It makes it easier and safer to destroy their crew first phase.

I did that myself, I didn't have the capability of disabling their medbay so I would just MC and teleport their crew over and kill them off as I went. After I'd cleared the main body out I teleported my crew over to trash their shields so I could actually do damage beyond the occasional missile hit - I was using Kestrel B and couldn't find any better weapons the entire time - I was sporting 3 basic lasers and an artemis missile.

After that run I had a hilariously overpowered run with the federation cruiser that ended with me having 3 burst laser 2s, fire bomb, and maxed out artillery beam. I didn't even bother with clearing crew out and just blew up the missiles and ion beam before trashing the rest of the ship.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Huh... did they change the Flagship so that the Missile and Laser rooms are connected to the main part of the ship? I beat the game with the Mantis B yesterday and only noticed that they were connected after I teleported my Mantis's in.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

ChewyLSB posted:

Huh... did they change the Flagship so that the Missile and Laser rooms are connected to the main part of the ship? I beat the game with the Mantis B yesterday and only noticed that they were connected after I teleported my Mantis's in.

Only on hard mode.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I think the changes have made the repair arm a better option since missiles seem more prevalent and encounters are a bit more risky.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The Rock C is one of the oddest ships I've played so far. It's like a Crystal ship lite.

Picking up the two Lanius in back-to-back abandoned sectors has been paying off. The Rock and Crystalman go in and stall, the Lanius smash up any healing they have, and in between the four of them I usually take over any manned ship before their second volley.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
The Lanius really are some of the best boarders. I suppose I should try a rockman or mantis party with hacking, but I can't stop hacking the oxygen system and sending two Lanius over to destroy it.
The AI just doesn't know how to deal with no oxygen boarders. I wonder if they will eventually have it open doors to rooms with actual air remaining.

Also, I got a neat event yesterday, which I'm not sure I've seen before. The event involved an Engi virus, and it choosing the Engi crew member option killed him and then got me into a fight. However, once I won the fight, I regained my Engi crew member who resurrected with maxed everything. Was pretty useful.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
What does event choice selection mean in the options menu? you have no delay and brief delay but I can't see any difference while playing.

• Locked thread