Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
It means that you can select event choices with number keys instead of clicking on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Life's hard when your feet are the size of a house and also toxic.
Just started playing FTL when the advanced stuff released. I got it back when it was in the Humble Bundle however long ago but I never really played it much.

Did some quests with the starter ship, got some new ships, cool beans. My first win on easy came the other night on the Stealth A setup. B and C look fun too, now that I have them.

Pretty fun. As someone who really likes roguelikes, I didn't give it enough credit.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Rock A is pure fetid rear end. Get to the last sector only to be obliterated by one special attack. For context I had maxed engines, maxed shields, rock plating and max skilled crew. Every single projectile hit :negative:.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Got my first win with AE (Easy), Rock C. Great little ship, very easy to put out fires and move quickly around.
Hacking the piloting room or engine is just too good. 0 evasion for a few seconds, send out the loving barrage of hell! Ion charger, swarm missiles, more lasers and mind control the pilot for the next salvo. It wasn't much of a fight.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Hmm despite my initial liking to the ship I so far had little luck with Rock C. How are you running it?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Hmm despite my initial liking to the ship I so far had little luck with Rock C. How are you running it?

Just beat the flagship with it (on easy). I doubt my strategy is applicable for all difficulties, though. Generally, you can take down most early-sector ships with the shield-piercing crystal weapon and the swarm missile. Save up for a teleporter, and once you've got that beam your crystal guy with another rockman or fighter of your choice directly into the weapons room at the start of the fight, and lock it down while you pound on it. It starts with a cloning bay, so just fire on your own guys if necessary. Try to pick up additional fighters as fast as possible, and if you can afford it, hacking and/or mind control. I lucked out and managed to get two Lanius boarders, which allowed me to deal with AI ships and take over regular ships even faster. That said, even with the Rockman and Crystalman you can teleport to AI ships without much fear, as long as you've got the cloning bay up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Inadequately posted:

Haha, I got an event where a pirate was arguing with some settlers and one of the blue options was something along the lines of '(Fire Bomb) Teach those pirates how to really threaten uncivilized settlers'. I decided to attack the pirate, but now I'm wondering how that would have gone. Maybe I'll pick that if I run into it as Rock B, seems in character.

I was just playing as Rock B and it was indeed in character, so I did it. You burn their houses down and they promptly surrender. You lose 1 missile, but the pirates are impressed and share part of the "tribute" with you. I got a decent amount of scrap and a drone schematic out of it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can technically take on AI ships with rockmen and a level 1 teleporter. The tele will recharge just before they suffocate to death, and you can teleport them back. Crystals will survive longer because they take half damage from suffocation, and most other races will need a level 2 tele to survive. It's a lot easier if you have a clone bay or a few lanius though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
People were talking a couple pages back about the Flak maybe needing to cost scrap to fire. According to the developers, that was actually the initial concept: a weapon that would cost scrap to fire. When they implemented it that way, they decided that it was not a fun mechanic. Incidentally, one of them also mentioned that they included a weapon that was "probably overpowered, but we decided to leave it in anyway." From the context of the discussion I'm pretty sure he was referring to the vulcan cannon.

Those paraphrased quotes come from one of LethalFrag's streams, in which he got AE a day early and had a skype chat with one of the devs for a few hours. Which is archived here if anyone is interested.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Suicide teleporting is really really fun. And I thought boarding was fun before. :getin:

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Che Delilas posted:

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the vulcan cannon.

Can confirm, dual vulcan's are stupid fun, I just stopped trying to board ships, too busy watching the carnage.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Che Delilas posted:

From the context of the discussion I'm pretty sure he was referring to the vulcan cannon.

I don't really think the vulcan cannon is overpowered. It has a *really* long spool-up time. Yes, once you achieve the spool-up you can take down any ship without a defense drone II, but you have the potential for a lot to go wrong. Your weapon system could be hit by a missile or well-timed laser burst. Your weapon system could get hacked, making it take twice as long to spool up. A sun/asteroid/pulsar has more chances to wipe out your volley progress because of how long you're exposed to the environment.

An alpha-heavy weapon system (flak) represents much greater overall safety because you can damage their weapons with the first volley. Even with a pre-ignitor, the vulcan still won't manage to land a hit on a weapon systems for 20s past when the first flak volley cripples them. After playing with both a flak-heavy ship and a double-vulcan ship, I'd say the flak definitely takes the cake for the "probably overpowered".

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

What does event choice selection mean in the options menu? you have no delay and brief delay but I can't see any difference while playing.
Sometimes, in the middle of battle, the enemy ship will offer a surrender option. If you are hitting '1' on your keyboard to select a weapon when that dialogue pops up you might unintentionally accept whatever their surrender offer was. Always turn on the brief delay so that can't happen.

For surrender options, I usually go for anything that's 3+ fuel in sector 1 and take any 7+ missile payouts until I have 20 or know I'll need more. And obviously anytime they offer up a free weapon/drone/augmentation.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Okay, here's a file with all the ships and layouts unlocked. Easily beatable stats. Just 4 repairs, 11 jumps by pilot, and 14 evasions by pilot.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MCgpB5HlnKMWNMbUdTdEVvMTg/edit?usp=sharing
Provided by me. Feel free to rehost. Or share. Enjoy having all ships/layouts!

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 8, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
You people and your complaints about how hard it is to unlock the Crystal Cruiser and beat the game with Stealth B. :smug:

I died to the third phase of the boss after my ion bomb missed four times in a row and they ravaged my weapons system. :saddowns:

Also, holy gently caress I just got creamed on what I thought would be a perfect run by some random Rebel with Flak 1 and a Vulcan along with three shields in sector four.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Matrim posted:

I don't really think the vulcan cannon is overpowered. It has a *really* long spool-up time. Yes, once you achieve the spool-up you can take down any ship without a defense drone II, but you have the potential for a lot to go wrong. Your weapon system could be hit by a missile or well-timed laser burst. Your weapon system could get hacked, making it take twice as long to spool up. A sun/asteroid/pulsar has more chances to wipe out your volley progress because of how long you're exposed to the environment.

An alpha-heavy weapon system (flak) represents much greater overall safety because you can damage their weapons with the first volley. Even with a pre-ignitor, the vulcan still won't manage to land a hit on a weapon systems for 20s past when the first flak volley cripples them. After playing with both a flak-heavy ship and a double-vulcan ship, I'd say the flak definitely takes the cake for the "probably overpowered".

This happened to me the first time I found the Vulcan. Didn't realize how much time I actually needed and just before it fired off, I got dunked with a big-rear end-missle to the weapon system. There was no recovering. Seems up until you start hitting ships with consistent drone cover or heavy shielding, you're better off using something fast and dirty.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Jibo posted:

Also, holy gently caress I just got creamed on what I thought would be a perfect run by some random Rebel with Flak 1 and a Vulcan along with three shields in sector four.

Jesus gently caress that's terrifying

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Verr posted:

This happened to me the first time I found the Vulcan. Didn't realize how much time I actually needed and just before it fired off, I got dunked with a big-rear end-missle to the weapon system. There was no recovering. Seems up until you start hitting ships with consistent drone cover or heavy shielding, you're better off using something fast and dirty.

Yeah, I mean it's not a one-button solution to every problem in the game, but when the dev said that I think he was talking about the fact that it could take out the boss ship all by itself, and quite quickly to boot. In that respect, it probably does qualify as overpowered. But it's just overpowered enough, not completely game-shattering. So they left it in because that kind of thing is fun sometimes too.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Verr posted:

This is the key problem with any powerful weapon system in the early game. Temptation is to sell a bunch of stuff if you see a good weapon in the store, but then starts the death of a thousand papercuts where you take more and more damage waiting for the thing to charge up.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Finally beat this game (on easy). It got hairy at the end when my engines guy got mind controlled and then they sent in a teleporter team to help with destroying my engines and then my rockman died trying to help when they attacked the mind controlled guy and not the hostile crewmembers. But in the end I managed to prevail and win.

I'm going to spend some time unlocking ships before making the switch to normal. Using the Kestrel I had the burst laser II, flak I, and a chain laser. At sector 7 I bought a halberd beam that wound up being the best buy. Burst Laser and Flak I to drop their shields so the halberd beam can tear through some compartments before starting anew. Weapon pre-igniter is almost loving key to making the fight winnable if you have an average or so setup. Hacking level 2 is nice, and hacking their piloting to drop their evasion to poo poo to make my shots land is beautiful. I had level 3 shields and about...40 or 45 evasion. Gold ranked guys also too.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Maybe I'm just unlucky but both versions of the Flak gun seem to miss way more than they hit for me and by the time I could have spooled up a Vulcan I've done maybe one or two damage to their weapon system with a flak weapon.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Every once in a while there's that one encounter where you hit a ship that's a pretty good counter to your own and is quite a bit more powerful than the rest in the sector, and naturally, you have a wonderful string of missed shots

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

And their missile hits the engine and the pilot and then everything is on fire and oh god

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
I had a very interesting run (can't remember ship sadly) in which I picked up two of the 4-shot Laser Charger and one of the 2-shot variety. 10 laser shots every 20 seconds (or 8 every 15 seconds) devastates anything and everything you come across. Even the Flagship was no challenge at all!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Matrim posted:

Speaking of Pre-Igniters, the weapons that can hold multiple charges do not start battles with full charges, swarm missiles, Chain Lasers etc

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Verr posted:

Dual Vulcans are overrated for the opportunity cost. Just go with two Laser Mk.3 and that's six hits every 12 seconds for much cheaper. I'm doing a Normal Advanced run with the Kestrel B (Red-Tail) and it starts with 4x Mk.1 lasers. That's money you can spend on shields and engines. I'm in sector 7 right now and I have 300 minerals, a swarm missile launcher, and 4 shields. I also got the locations of both stores in the sector from a merc ship. :getin:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

jm20 posted:

Speaking of Pre-Igniters, the weapons that can hold multiple charges do not start battles with full charges, swarm missiles, Chain Lasers etc

Yep. But the pre-ignitor lets you start the weapon off at +1 volley by firing it immediately when the fight starts, so it's still nice for chain/vulcan - though not nearly as nice as a pre-ignited flak II.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

Dual Vulcans are overrated for the opportunity cost. Just go with two Laser Mk.3 and that's six hits every 12 seconds for much cheaper. I'm doing a Normal Advanced run with the Kestrel B (Red-Tail) and it starts with 4x Mk.1 lasers. That's money you can spend on shields and engines. I'm in sector 7 right now and I have 300 minerals, a swarm missile launcher, and 4 shields. I also got the locations of both stores in the sector from a merc ship. :getin:

Four Laser Mk2s are even better. :frogc00l:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Matrim posted:

Yep. But the pre-ignitor lets you start the weapon off at +1 volley by firing it immediately when the fight starts, so it's still nice for chain/vulcan - though not nearly as nice as a pre-ignited flak II.

Yeah seeing as how the Vulcan starts off so slow having that fully charged is really nice

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I have a question. Do I need to be in the ship that comes before the next ship to be unlocked? Example: Do I need to be running an engi ship in order to unlock the mantis ship, and the mantis ship for the next one in line, and so on?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Blackray Jack posted:

I have a question. Do I need to be in the ship that comes before the next ship to be unlocked? Example: Do I need to be running an engi ship in order to unlock the mantis ship, and the mantis ship for the next one in line, and so on?

If you're unlocking via beating the game, I believe this is the case. However all "a-type" ships have an unlock quest you can get at any time, so you can unlock everything with the Kestrel.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
No, you can be in any ship. Some ships might require certain crew or equipment (to unlock mantis you need a mantis crewmember, level 2 medbay and teleporter. To unlock slug I think you need level 2 sensors.

Crystal ship is easier to unlock with Rock but that's because they get a blue option to prevent damage exploring asteroids.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Panfilo posted:

No, you can be in any ship. Some ships might require certain crew or equipment (to unlock mantis you need a mantis crewmember, level 2 medbay and teleporter. To unlock slug I think you need level 2 sensors.

Crystal ship is easier to unlock with Rock but that's because they get a blue option to prevent damage exploring asteroids.

Also since Rock A sucks, use Rock B ship for it.

However I have still not unlocked the crystal ship.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I unlocked the Crystal ship randomly on my third run of the game I think.

Still haven't actually unlocked anything else but the Engi ship.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

boredsatellite posted:

Also since Rock A sucks, use Rock B ship for it.

However I have still not unlocked the crystal ship.

Actually use Rock C because it starts with a Crystal guy so you can skip almost the entire quest, most of which is about getting a crystal guy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I hate that "dock with refueling station" event. Every time it's screwed me over- taking 5 damage from sabotage and or forced to fight a pirate. What's sadistic is all 3 seem to have independent chances of happening:

Dock and find a shop or not.
Dock and take 5 dmg
Don't dock and run into a pirate.

Also noticed now when you take hull damage from events your systems now get damaged and you can end up with colossally inconvenient breaches and fires plus a pirate encounter :stare:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just go this, I'm currently playing without the advanced features enabled. Would it be better to get used to the vanilla game for a while, or go ahead and activate the advanced stuff?

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I hate that "dock with refueling station" event. Every time it's screwed me over- taking 5 damage from sabotage and or forced to fight a pirate. What's sadistic is all 3 seem to have independent chances of happening:

Dock and find a shop or not.
Dock and take 5 dmg
Don't dock and run into a pirate.

Also noticed now when you take hull damage from events your systems now get damaged and you can end up with colossally inconvenient breaches and fires plus a pirate encounter :stare:

I've only gotten that event once and I had a blue option from upgraded doors that just had the pirates look around confused while I refueled and flew away.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Tracula posted:

The best part about Engi B is, as I previous posted, the first random even of the game can game over you with bad enough luck.
Hey man don't blame you trying to gather six-legged horses to sell screwing you over on bad luck that was all you :colbert:

(as far as I know there's no positive outcome to trying to pick them up to sell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Insert name here posted:

Hey man don't blame you trying to gather six-legged horses to sell screwing you over on bad luck that was all you :colbert:

(as far as I know there's no positive outcome to trying to pick them up to sell)

Always try and communicate, you have a chance at getting a free engi. If you have a slug you get a blue option on that encounter.

• Locked thread