Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Well, this just made two thousand pounds in about ten minutes.

I don't know what's more hilarious, that or the fact that it's paid in pounds, but if you want a hardcopy book delivered to the UK (or anywhere other than the US) it's £20 extra, bringing the total cost up to £60. That's a hundred loving dollars for a single softcover book.

Edit: Three thousand pounds. Holy gently caress.

Gau fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Timett posted:

Fair enough. I guess that gets to the bottom of that mystery. Now if I could just ensure they would avoid different versions of games they've already played (Star Trek Catan, TTR: Europe) and poo poo like Fortune and Glory it might almost be worth supporting.

Looks like it's going to fund without trouble though so it wont need my support.

That was my only complaint about Season 2, episodes that were essentially the same as previous ones just with a slightly different version of the game. Otherwise I like watching it, it's a quick way to get the gist of a game's rules and the production value is much higher than most YouTube gaming videos so it's easier to tell what's going on.

For folks complaining about the amount he's asking, Wheaton has also mentioned they have to get a production space and build a set, so there's a decent-sized chunk of his money right there. And I would guess that they pay the guests that come on as well, which I don't believe has been brought up yet either.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gau posted:

Well, this just made two thousand pounds in about ten minutes.

I don't know what's more hilarious, that or the fact that it's paid in pounds, but if you want a hardcopy book delivered to the UK (or anywhere other than the US) it's £20 extra, bringing the total cost up to £60. That's a hundred loving dollars for a single softcover book.
From what I understand it's done that way because Russ doesn't have a US bank account, and that's how Kickstarter does things. Not his choice on using £.

The system, near as I can tell, uses dice similar to Ghostbusters - bunch of d6's, add together, one die is "special." I've done no thorough analysis, but the math there gives me pause. As does scaling upwards to d8's, d10's, and d12's.

Good on him it's available for preview, but I just... Well, between ENworld's terrible tardiness on other kickstarters and that it's both crunchy and the man's first game... I'm keeping away from it.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

From what I understand it's done that way because Russ doesn't have a US bank account, and that's how Kickstarter does things. Not his choice on using £.

The system, near as I can tell, uses dice similar to Ghostbusters - bunch of d6's, add together, one die is "special." I've done no thorough analysis, but the math there gives me pause. As does scaling upwards to d8's, d10's, and d12's.

Good on him it's available for preview, but I just... Well, between ENworld's terrible tardiness on other kickstarters and that it's both crunchy and the man's first game... I'm keeping away from it.

I checked this out for nostalgic purposes (I used to lurk a lot on the old ENWorld forums and picked up one or two of their products). The central mechanic seems ok but its very crunchy. That put me off before I realised how astoundingly expensive it is. I mean seriously, its £100 if you want both softcovers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

EdBlackadder posted:

I checked this out for nostalgic purposes (I used to lurk a lot on the old ENWorld forums and picked up one or two of their products). The central mechanic seems ok but its very crunchy. That put me off before I realised how astoundingly expensive it is. I mean seriously, its £100 if you want both softcovers.

Well, it's backed now. I'm mostly just disappointed they aren't Kickstarting a hardcover collector's premium limited deluxe editon of E.N.Arsenal - Spiked Chain.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I haven't read the crunch all that in-depth as of yet myself, but the central feeling I get from N.E.W. in particular is "man, wasn't Traveller great?"

I'm not reallllly sure I agree.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Adept Nightingale posted:

I haven't read the crunch all that in-depth as of yet myself, but the central feeling I get from N.E.W. in particular is "man, wasn't Traveller great?"

I'm not reallllly sure I agree.

…and if you did, wouldn't the (kickstarted) Traveller 5 be a better option anyway? :D

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
edit: nevermind found what I was looking for

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 8, 2014

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I am seriously hyped about Storium, which just launched: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stlhood/storium-the-online-storytelling-game

It's a web-based online project that's looking to turn collaborative writing into a game, and Chuck Wendig's helping with development.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013

I am seriously hyped about Storium, which just launched: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stlhood/storium-the-online-storytelling-game

It's a web-based online project that's looking to turn collaborative writing into a game, and Chuck Wendig's helping with development.

I'm a little confused after reading through the whole thing. It's like a client for free-form roleplaying with story seeds from major authors? Or is there something else there going on, haven't had a chance to watch the video yet so maybe I'm missing something.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

The KS for Catacombs has done really well, and there's now tiers that include the expansion (Caverns of Soloth), as well as add-ons and tons of stretch goals met and generally just lots of Kickstartery stuff.

I don't think I'll spring for the expansion yet (I'll see if I like the game first; at this point I'm pretty sure it'll make its way to retail), but if you are more confident there's certainly a lot of options and stuff to look at now (and some of it will be KS exclusive).

VVV: Yeah, I was all ready to click, but balked at the price too. $110 for the game and expansion (or $145 for everything), plus shipping, is getting to be a lot of money. I actually lowered my pledge when they posted this - I was going to be completist, but now that that's off the table I'm just getting the base game. Still, it does look like good material they're adding - and I'm still really excited about the game.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 8, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of The Doom That Came To Atlantic City, it looks the game's actually gone out to the kickstarter backers.

quote:

Thanks to Cryptozoic, the story of The Doom that Came to Atlantic City has turned from a Kickstarter cautionary tale to a full-blown beautiful boardgame success. Cryptozoic has sent a copy of the new boardgame to everyone who backed the original Kickstarter, despite the fact that none of that money went to Cryptozoic.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

It seems very similar to Dramasystem (hillfolk) but with an actual web interface to facilitate moderation. I like it! Who are all these people that are working on the project and why should I be excited about them, though?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

aldantefax posted:

Who are all these people that are working on the project and why should I be excited about them, though?

There are some amazing writers involved, many of whom are also gamers themselves. Stephen Blackmoore has a Spirit of the Century novel, which I haven't read yet, and two of his own that are loving great; if Jim Butcher is supernatural Raymond Chandler, Blackmoore is supernatural James Ellroy. Saladin Ahmed only has one full length novel, Throne of the Crescent Kingdom but it's one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read because it's genuinely non-European instead of being just D&D Arabia.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jmzero posted:

The KS for Catacombs has done really well, and there's now tiers that include the expansion (Caverns of Soloth), as well as add-ons and tons of stretch goals met and generally just lots of Kickstartery stuff.

I don't think I'll spring for the expansion yet (I'll see if I like the game first; at this point I'm pretty sure it'll make its way to retail), but if you are more confident there's certainly a lot of options and stuff to look at now (and some of it will be KS exclusive).

$145 for the full thing is too pricy for me (I'm in at $55, plus $15 for postage), but the art and a few friends recommending the first edition are seriously making me consider going all-in. :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

This is unbelievable and I hope gets them tons of press. What a great move.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

rantmo posted:

There are some amazing writers involved, many of whom are also gamers themselves. Stephen Blackmoore has a Spirit of the Century novel, which I haven't read yet, and two of his own that are loving great; if Jim Butcher is supernatural Raymond Chandler, Blackmoore is supernatural James Ellroy. Saladin Ahmed only has one full length novel, Throne of the Crescent Kingdom but it's one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read because it's genuinely non-European instead of being just D&D Arabia.
Khan of Mars was really good; I should check out some of his other stuff.

Actually, all the SotC novels are good, except maybe King Khan, which was kinda meh. Too many characters and ideas jammed in, but it did have a luchadore.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

rantmo posted:

Saladin Ahmed only has one full length novel, Throne of the Crescent Kingdom but it's one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read because it's genuinely non-European instead of being just D&D Arabia.

I really like him a lot-- but his shorts are even better than his novel. He's got a free kindle collection of them. But yeah that bumped me up higher than a 'vague curiosity' tier.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So SDE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1257458293/super-dungeon-explore-forgotten-king/posts just announced the last update you have to buy. I think it's like... 300 bucks for everything? The remaining items will be free loot.
They also worked out a deal with Europe I guess? Which is pretty cool.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yet another MDF Scifi-building/terrain kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/941796898/cat-6-multi-plex-28mm-miniature-tabletop-terrain

The catch? The buildings are Pre-painted and still relatively cheap.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

That's the hook, not the catch. Still pretty pricey considering you could spray your own mdf buildings with some cheap spray paint but hey lazy people.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

dishwasherlove posted:

That's the hook, not the catch. Still pretty pricey considering you could spray your own mdf buildings with some cheap spray paint but hey lazy people.

Spraying monocolor buildings is easy, but he seems to be first one to offer 2-color buildings.

Basically the blue-parts and white parts are from different sprues. Hopefully designing buildings for easy spraying like that catches on even in non-pre-painted buildings.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 9, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

adhuin posted:

Spraying monocolor buildings is easy, but he seems to be first one to offer 2-color buildings.

Basically the blue-parts and white parts are from different sprues. Hopefully designing buildings for easy spraying like that catches on even in non-pre-painted buildings.

It's such a simple thing, I'm surprised nobody thought of it before.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Yup. I got mine a few weeks back. Very solid production values and including all (core game) stretch goals, even. I posted some impressions over in the boardgame thread but I don't think anyone paid attention.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Apologies in advance for this wall of quote - it's the Wrath of Kings update #73. They're giving away a free eBook of the novel to anyone who wants it, and I didn't want to leave out the part that explains how this is OK and not filez.

Wrath of Kings posted:

Ahoy, folks, I'm Eric Kelley, the head writer for Wrath of Kings. It is my great pleasure to present you with the electronic edition of the Wrath of Kings novel.

We're doing something different that most games in how we present the background. Most books provide expository sections for factions, units, and setting with just a few narrative pieces for flavor. With Wrath we're going the other direction. This novel represents about three fifths of the rulebook. There will be rules (naturally) and brief unit entries, but everything else is presented in a narrative format, and we're pleased to bring this to you today.
There are three file types to choose from.
MOBI – Used by Kindles and other Amazon readers: http://wrathofkings.com/ks/downloads/WOK-Novel.mobi
EPUB – Used by Nooks, Kobo, and everything else: http://wrathofkings.com/ks/downloads/WOK-Novel.epub
PDF – Tried & true. Use this if you don't have a dedicated device or want to read it on your computer: http://wrathofkings.com/ks/downloads/WOK-Novel.pdf
One note regarding the map: We tested for compatibility on as many devices as we could find, and the map is legible most of the time, but not always. Images don't always convey well in EPUB or MOBI format. So, here's a high res JPG for you to download: http://wrathofkings.com/ks/downloads/WOK-map.jpg
Also, note that we're not putting security on this. We're giving you the raw links. It's completely free to anyone that wants to download it for a limited time. So, if you're seeing this post on a forum, TGN, or through an email from a friend, please feel free to download the book and give it a read.
Please let me express my extreme appreciation of your support. Your patronage has given us the opportunity to build a beautiful game and story. I can't thank you enough! Thanks very much for reading!
--Eric

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

jmzero posted:

VVV: Yeah, I was all ready to click, but balked at the price too. $110 for the game and expansion (or $145 for everything), plus shipping, is getting to be a lot of money. I actually lowered my pledge when they posted this - I was going to be completist, but now that that's off the table I'm just getting the base game. Still, it does look like good material they're adding - and I'm still really excited about the game.

I did the same thing. They made being a completionist on the kickstarter so much more expensive, that I downgraded my pledge to just the basic game. It seems to be working well for them, though, as there was a noticeable spike in pledges after the expansion announcement.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
Hello! I've talked about HeroSheets before in the Pathfinder thread, but it's my application for building & leveling Pathfinder characters. Think TurboTax, but for PFRPG. It's extremely beginner friendly and very easy to use. You can build a level one character in about 3 minutes!

I've gotten a lot of requests to add functionality for GMs - namely NPC creation - to HeroSheets. Since I have so many regular features I need to work on for PCs, I thought that a small amount of fundraising was in order.

Check out the project:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herosheets/herosheets

Fellow goon Levi Gilbert is doing some custom artwork at the higher reward levels. His work is excellent!

I appreciate your support in advance!

Crudeboy
Jun 1, 2010
If superhero wargaming is your thing, SuperSystem 4th edition went up yesterday. Scott Pyle is trying to fund an actual print run this time around instead of solely PDF releases like the previous editions. $40 will get you a hard copy of the book and a PDF. Backers can also immediately download a draft of the rules that to my understanding is pretty much final.

I've got the last two editions and dig it quite a bit. The system's pretty simple and solid, and the ability to build your own teams with an a la carte list of abilities and powers was the initial draw for me. There is a basic setting and small line of miniatures for that, but you can do anything you want with it. I've seen Marvel and DC games with repainted HeroClix, some Hellboy and TMNT, and for a while I was trying to track down old GWAR Rumble in Antarctica miniatures to use as well.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

adhuin posted:

Yet another MDF Scifi-building/terrain kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/941796898/cat-6-multi-plex-28mm-miniature-tabletop-terrain

The catch? The buildings are Pre-painted and still relatively cheap.

I actually went ahead and asked this guy whether that :krad: monorail would be made available, and if the KS goes well it will be an addon.

So waiting for that to happen.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Crudeboy posted:

If superhero wargaming is your thing, SuperSystem 4th edition went up yesterday. Scott Pyle is trying to fund an actual print run this time around instead of solely PDF releases like the previous editions. $40 will get you a hard copy of the book and a PDF. Backers can also immediately download a draft of the rules that to my understanding is pretty much final.

I've got the last two editions and dig it quite a bit. The system's pretty simple and solid, and the ability to build your own teams with an a la carte list of abilities and powers was the initial draw for me. There is a basic setting and small line of miniatures for that, but you can do anything you want with it. I've seen Marvel and DC games with repainted HeroClix, some Hellboy and TMNT, and for a while I was trying to track down old GWAR Rumble in Antarctica miniatures to use as well.

I'd never heard of this before but now I really want to try out the 3rd edition. Hmm.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

malkav11 posted:

Yup. I got mine a few weeks back. Very solid production values and including all (core game) stretch goals, even. I posted some impressions over in the boardgame thread but I don't think anyone paid attention.

Repost/link to them here, I'd be interested in knowing how the game turned out just for curiosity's sake.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I actually went ahead and asked this guy whether that :krad: monorail would be made available, and if the KS goes well it will be an addon.

So waiting for that to happen.

Is that clear perspex windows in the building to the left of the monorail? Future stretch goal?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tuscany is 10 hours away from finishing and < 40k away from its final gameplay related stretch goal. Is it going to make it? :ohdear:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Tuscany is 10 hours away from finishing and < 40k away from its final gameplay related stretch goal. Is it going to make it? :ohdear:

It's gained 7k in the last hour, so quite possibly.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jedit posted:

It's gained 7k in the last hour, so quite possibly.

A hell of a photo finish. Tuscany ended at 450,333.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Apparently the AW Superhero hack World in Peril has the KS up now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/63676387/worlds-in-peril

I'm not super familiar with it at all, anyone have any input?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Repost/link to them here, I'd be interested in knowing how the game turned out just for curiosity's sake.

It's kind of long so I'll just link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493657&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=657#post427193450

That was based on one game and I haven't gotten to play it again since, so grain of salt.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

malkav11 posted:

It's kind of long so I'll just link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493657&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=657#post427193450

That was based on one game and I haven't gotten to play it again since, so grain of salt.

Thanks! From what you mentioned, it doesn't seem terrible.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks! From what you mentioned, it doesn't seem terrible.

I don't regret getting it, certainly. (I was going to say I don't regret backing, but...well...I don't know about -that-...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

protomexican
May 1, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/m3d/the-micro-the-first-truly-consumer-3d-printer

$299 for a 3D printer. This would be great for custom-built terrain and props. Are there any pitfalls I'm not seeing?

• Locked thread