Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

MothraAttack posted:

Of course, Hersh says that the White House was kept unaware of Turkey's alleged complicity. This would mean that Turkey 1. tricked an independent UN inquiry and 2. was uncovered by the U.S. intelligence community, which evidently didn't find the idea of a NATO partner gassing Damascus relevant enough to tell the WH.

It doesn't add up. I'm betting, like some other outlets, that Hersh's source is a disgruntled right winger.

I think we're all burying the lede on the real story of Turkey's chemical weapons program since it managed to support the mass manufacture of Sarin and a unique Sarin delivery system. As Turkey is a signatory of the CWC and is not know to have or ever have had a chemical weapons program, this should be huge news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

MothraAttack posted:

I'm betting, like some other outlets, that Hersh's source is a disgruntled right winger.
Apparently it's F Michael Maloof. If true then Hersh is pushing the same crap as an Alex Jones fanboy.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess

cochise posted:

Apparently it's F Michael Maloof. If true then Hersh is pushing the same crap as an Alex Jones fanboy.

... according to?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

King of Hamas posted:

Huh. So on one hand we have Seymour Hersh, the United Nations, and an expert in the field backed by a team from MIT, and on the other hand we have you and a handful of self declared internet munitions experts. Hmm.......

The thing you don't understand is Hersh is flubbing the information he's giving about the UN and MIT report. The MIT report correctly points out that the White House report claimed the frontlines were 6km away, while the rocket range was only 2-2.25km. The problem is for all these people jumping on this as proof the rebels did it is the White House report is wrong, the frontlines were 2km on August 21st, something that's provable by reviewing videos from both sides in the conflict showing troops movements and checkpoint positions. I'm actually in frequent communication with one of the reports authors who has confirmed this is the whole point of the report, and he regularly uses my work in his own reports, so if you want to dismiss my work you should probably also dismiss the MIT report too.

There's more details of why Hersh is wrong in this new piece from EA Worldview.

gunblade posted:

... according to?

EA Worldview is pushing that as supposedly a lot of what Hersh's source is saying matches exactly with what Maloof has been saying for sometime now. Had he been published in the NYT or New Yorker he would have had to have had multiple sources for his claims, as well as fact checking, but Hersh can get around those hurdles by publishing in LRB it seems.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hersh gets played way too loving often and is an insider now. There's no good way to spin his "I haven't seen the blog." Then what the gently caress are you looking at?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hersh really just wants to go back in time to break the Gulf of Tonkin story.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This thread is a lot better when you put King of Hamas and Baby Choom on ignore.

For actual content, a new contender has thrown his hat into the ring for the Egyptian presidency. Meet Mortada Mansour.

quote:

Hopeful presidential candidate Mortada Mansour said he will ban Facebook and Twitter if they threaten the nation's internal security and declare war on Ethiopia should it maintain its stance on the Renaissance dam.
Speaking to TV anchor Amr El-Leithy on the Bewodouh (With Clarity) news show on the privately-owned Al-Hayah TV channel on Monday, Mansour shared his views on protests in Egypt, US aid and the Muslim Brotherhood, among numerous other issues.

The outspoken, controversial lawyer who freely uses expletives against critics in public announced on Sunday his intent to run in Egypt's upcoming presidential elections, becoming the third candidate alongside former army chief Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi and leftist political figure Hamdeen Sabahi.

He had also intended to contend for the post in the 2011 presidential race, but was disqualified for "unknown reasons," as he claims.

Elected head of the Zamalek sports club for the third time on 28 March, Mansour has been a controversial figure in Egyptian society since the 1990s, notorious for his rather fiery public statements, as well as a resume replete with contentious lawsuits.

Mansour said during the Monday interview he would cut off US aid if he became president, in order for Egyptians to start working and producing, adding that the aid supports the Camp David peace treaty, which he believes is no longer applicable.

"Israel does not respect the treaty anymore. Weapons have been smuggled lately from Israel into the Egyptian border, which contradicts with articles in the agreement," he said.

Mansour said he would ban alcohol retail shops in accordance with Islamic law limiting consumption to foreigners in hotels.

"We do not want people walking around drunk in the streets," he told El-Leithy.

Speaking of the Brotherhood, Mansour said the government should refrain from the generalisation of labelling the entire group a terrorist one.

However, he also stressed that, should he be elected the country's next president, he would firmly counter terrorism and all those sponsoring it in Egypt.

"There are two types of Brotherhood members: the first are not violent, not involved in political events and merely want to worship," Mansour said, adding that those members recently involved in violent clashes belong to the second type, and should face legal investigation.

"I will suspend all protests, sit-ins and strikes for the upcoming year if I become Egypt's next president, because the country's economic situation cannot withstand any further deterioration," he said, directing his speech to the Doctors' Syndicate strike.

Doctors and other health professionals employed in government hospitals have been holding a partial, open-ended strike since last week, demanding higher wages and increased government spending on healthcare.

He then said he understood that different sectors have their particular demands, but proceeded to add that the country's economy cannot currently afford to solve their problems.

About the Ethiopian dam under construction, Mansour said he would seek the help of international organisations to resolve the contentious issue. Should Ethiopia insist on building the dam, he added, reducing Egypt's share of Nile water, he would be willing to declare war against it.

"Nile water is the source of life in Egypt and I will not allow anyone to diminish our share of it," the lawyer stated.

The Renaissance Dam project has been a source of concern for the Egyptian government since last May, when images of the dam's construction stirred public anxiety about its possible effects on Egypt's share of Nile water.

Attempting to allay Egyptian fears that the dam will reduce its annual share of Nile water, the project manager stated the dam's turbines do not consume water and that the dam's reservoir will on the contrary provide more water to Egypt due to its projected role in decreasing evaporation levels.

As the televised interview concluded, Mansour invited the two other candidates for a public debate.

Mansour was among several 21 figures from ousted president Hosni Mubarak's era who were accused of orchestrating the Battle of the Camel, in which pro-Mubarak thugs rode camels and horses into Tahrir Square on 2 February, at the height of the 2011 revolution , and attacked protesters, killing 11 and injuring several hundred. The court acquitted all defendants in tthe case in 2013.

This guy stands at the intersection of a three-way Venn diagram: felool, the same kind of cultural authoritarianism that the Brotherhood was reviled for, and the dick-swinging macho foreign policy that doesn't stand a chance of actually succeeding. Almost enough to make Sisi look preferable, and maybe that's his purpose.

As far as the Ethiopian Grand Renaissance Dam Project goes- the Egyptian media has really been fired up about this. When I was last there a few weeks ago, the bumper clips between segments showed footage of the Nile thundering downstream, stock footage of Egyptian farmers tilling their fields, and other footage of Sisi in uniform making thundering pronouncements and shaking hands with other dudes in uniforms and whatnot.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

SedanChair posted:

Hersh gets played way too loving often and is an insider now. There's no good way to spin his "I haven't seen the blog." Then what the gently caress are you looking at?

It should also be noted I emailed Hersh all the information on Volcano rockets on the day of his first article, in reply to an email he sent me on Vile Rat's death in Benghazi. I guess he didn't read that or my article. Here's more on Hershshit

https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/commentaryanalysis/542509-hersh-and-the-red-herring
http://guests.armscontrolwonk.com/archive/4329/turkeys-syria-policy-why-seymour-hersh-got-it-wrong

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

gunblade posted:

... according to?

I'm an asshat. Sorry I could have sworn I linked the article about that when I posted it last night.

Here: http://eaworldview.com/2014/04/syria-hersh-chemical-weapons-conspiracy-insurgents/

King of Hamas
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

Brown Moses posted:

It should also be noted I emailed Hersh all the information on Volcano rockets on the day of his first article, in reply to an email he sent me on Vile Rat's death in Benghazi. I guess he didn't read that or my article. Here's more on Hershshit

https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/commentaryanalysis/542509-hersh-and-the-red-herring
http://guests.armscontrolwonk.com/archive/4329/turkeys-syria-policy-why-seymour-hersh-got-it-wrong

You are so mad that you got called out by an actual journalist haha

hey guys backing brown moses without any reason beyond believing that he is an expert, perhaps you should trust the side that is backed by people with decades of real life experience in the field and have repeatedly put their reputations on the line to expose the truth rather than some guy that watched youtubes for a few years and put on his expert hat made of construction paper and yarn

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

King of Hamas fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 8, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sucrose posted:

Can anyone explain to me why exactly the United States is in prisoner exchange negotiations with Israel, an ally and beneficiary of no-strings attached foreign aid? I mean, what the gently caress, this is supposed to be negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians, why is the United States of all countries offering anything to the Israelis during it?

Because Israel isn't interested in negotiating. So if we want them to come to the table, we need to offer incentives to do so; and for political reasons we always use the carrot and never the stick.

Phlegmish posted:

I find the relationship between the United States and Israel to be completely baffling.

Small but vocal minorities with money to spare have disproportionate influence in US politics, since most people don't give a poo poo. Also, American society is incredibly receptive to Israel's cries of "help, our wealthy first-world suburbia is under attack from suicide bombers and other foreign Arab terrorists, just because we oppressed and exploited them a bit!" since that's basically the same song the US has been singing for a couple of decades too. We're just way more familiar with and sympathetic to the plight of the oppressor and the way the mean old oppressed peoples torment them with terrorism; the suffering of people locked up in an economic hellhole getting their farms burned by settlers and their homes bulldozed by a foreign army, by contrast, is utterly foreign to us, and we're inclined to think they deserve oppression for being such an uppity underclass anyway. As a people who mostly had no problem invading and occupying two countries over a single terrorist attack, I'm betting we'd be taking Israel's side even without the influence of a powerful Israeli lobby.

King of Hamas
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

Main Paineframe posted:

Because Israel isn't interested in negotiating. So if we want them to come to the table, we need to offer incentives to do so; and for political reasons we always use the carrot and never the stick.

We're just way more familiar with and sympathetic to the plight of the oppressor and the way the mean old oppressed peoples torment them with terrorism; the suffering of people locked up in an economic hellhole getting their farms burned by settlers and their homes bulldozed by a foreign army, by contrast, is utterly foreign to us, and we're inclined to think they deserve oppression for being such an uppity underclass anyway. As a people who mostly had no problem invading and occupying two countries over a single terrorist attack, I'm betting we'd be taking Israel's side even without the influence of a powerful Israeli lobby.

This is a Good Post about Israel. Palestinians and Native Americans have a lot in common.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

But it's the weapons experts like Dan Kaszeta with decades of experience that are lining up against Hersh., not the other way around.

Your obnoxious trolling would be more interesting if you actually acknowledged that the UN report and Kaszeta's findings discredit Hersh's allegations.

Edit: treating Hersh as the ultimate authority based on his decades of reporting is like saying Lyndon LaRouche is best qualified to be President on account of his decades of political activism.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Funny enough the Syrian Electronic Army linked people to a LaRouche page when they hijacked some News Network twitter accounts. Wake up Sheeple!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

suboptimal posted:

Edit: treating Hersh as the ultimate authority based on his decades of reporting is like saying Lyndon LaRouche is best qualified to be President on account of his decades of political activism.

I'm fairly certain that Hersh got blacklisted out of inside sources following abu Ghraib (or perhaps Obama took office, since they knew of him and his effect), so all he has are contrarian sources like Alex Jones and the RT crowd or someone selling bogus info for quick cash.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

McDowell posted:

Funny enough the Syrian Electronic Army linked people to a LaRouche page when they hijacked some News Network twitter accounts. Wake up Sheeple!

My biggest Twitter troll is a LaRouche but as well.

A Times journalist just Tweeted Porton Down has said Hersh's claim Porton Down said the Sarin was "kitchen Sarin" was totally untrue.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Hersh has had his reputation of being something of an uncritical mouthpiece for at least a couple of decades now.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The-Mole posted:

Hersh has had his reputation of being something of an uncritical mouthpiece for at least a couple of decades now.

...whose mouthpiece?

edit: nevermind, I think this is a stupid thing to say regardless. He helped break Abu Ghraib, I don't know whose mouthpiece that would make him, but its good by me.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Count Roland posted:

...whose mouthpiece?

edit: nevermind, I think this is a stupid thing to say regardless. He helped break Abu Ghraib, I don't know whose mouthpiece that would make him, but its good by me.

I think the implication is that he's publish any source without necessarily checking the facts which gets the right and wrong but loses him credibility.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

King of Hamas posted:

hey guys backing brown moses without any reason beyond believing that he is an expert, perhaps you should trust the side that is backed by people with decades of real life experience in the field and have repeatedly put their reputations on the line to expose the truth rather than some guy that watched youtubes for a few years and put on his expert hat made of construction paper and yarn

It's your guy here, Hersh, who is the outlier. If you remove Brown Moses entirely from the equation it's still Hersh saying things contrary to the UN and the general credible consensus. Hersh, the man who also insisted the U.S. was definitely, positively, for certain about to invade Iran several years ago, and other top hits.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's a possibility a group strongly linked to the Supreme Military Council has started receiving US TOW ATGMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd-iUXTK9Qw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVuPrIuYDAI

There's a chance they could be from Hezbollah, old 1970 era models from Iran, or these are new supplies coming into the north of the country.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They look modernish/in good enough condition (to not be 70ies models), but I'm no TOW expert.

If it's any of the TOW 2 (1983+) variants they can punch a pretty big hole in pretty much any tank Assad got, even defeating ERA if it's the -E/-2A-model (and 900 mm penetration).

Apparently Iran is manufacturing their own versions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toophan

Might be interesting if you can catch any writing on the launcher or see any missiles handled to figure out where they come from.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 8, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

King of Hamas posted:

As an expert in certain fields with decades of experience in real life myself, I can assure you Brown Moses knows what he's talking about. Since you love experts so much, you will now clearly change your opinion on him totally. :smug:

In other news, Assad is convinced he has already won, the country would need however at least 30 years of reconstruction to reach the economic level of 2010, even if the war ended right now.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

That right there is depressing as gently caress. I wonder if there's a tipping point in time after which a large portion of the refugees who left the country won't return and Syria will have to deal with mass brain drain.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

cafel posted:

That right there is depressing as gently caress. I wonder if there's a tipping point in time after which a large portion of the refugees who left the country won't return and Syria will have to deal with mass brain drain.

A lot of them probably aren't going to come back anyway because of the secret police. The refugee camps are a major source of rebel recruitment, and given that the Assad regime's threshold for tolerating anti-regime activities is pretty goddamn low, each and every person in the camps has a significantly non-zero chance of being tortured and murdered if they ever go back to Syria.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 8, 2014

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Kerry's pointing to new Israeli settlement plans in the West Bank as a reason for the breakdown of the talks in recent days.

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-kerry-israel-settlements-20140408,0,1817844.story#axzz2yLBe2oyE

He says he still hopes the talks can be revived and come to a successful conclusion. I doubt that will happen anytime soon. I can't see Netanyahu ever accepting any Palestinian offer except one that amounts to an almost total surrender to Israelis desires on the West Bank.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Dusseldorf posted:

I think the implication is that he's publish any source without necessarily checking the facts which gets the right and wrong but loses him credibility.

The sad thing is that because the mainstream media is so obeisant, there are true and shocking stories only someone like Hersh will listen to. But then there are also untrue and shocking stories, like the invasion of Iran. Remember that Mulder believed things that weren't even true in the X-Files universe.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eSports Chaebol posted:

Remember that Mulder believed things that weren't even true in the X-Files universe.

I think there was a whole season where the conspiracy convinced him aliens weren't real and the whole thing was a cover for freaky MIC experiments.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

eSports Chaebol posted:

The sad thing is that because the mainstream media is so obeisant, there are true and shocking stories only someone like Hersh will listen to. But then there are also untrue and shocking stories, like the invasion of Iran. Remember that Mulder believed things that weren't even true in the X-Files universe.

An attack or invasion of Iran wasn't some wingnut theory, most major media outlets were openly speculating about it for months on end. Threats were made, carrier groups put into position, vitriol spewed by politicians, etc. I responded to almost this identical statement a few pages ago: reporting on US plans to attack Iran was not limited to Hersh, BBC was covering it. It didn't happen: welcome to predicting the future. Doesn't make the plans or threats any less real.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

At the time many were saying it might happen, but Hersh said definitively "it will happen, and here is the timetable." His entire career, for good and for ill, has been him finding great sources, and then believing them entirely. I would bet the Iran piece came down to someone in the Bush administration wanting to scare the piss out of Iran, and leaking to Hersh knowing he would run with it in full.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Did Hersh ever clarify his comments on the Bin Laden raid?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

There's a possibility a group strongly linked to the Supreme Military Council has started receiving US TOW ATGMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd-iUXTK9Qw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVuPrIuYDAI

There's a chance they could be from Hezbollah, old 1970 era models from Iran, or these are new supplies coming into the north of the country.

I'm having a hard time finding any good clear pics of Iranian Toophan (TOW) missiles so it's hard to tell if there are any small differences between Toophan and US made TOWS that would definitely point to what these fighters are using in the vid. Also I think TOWs were exported to quite a few countries including ones that would possibly give them to the rebels like Saudi Arabia and Turkey. I wonder how much training is needed to use a TOW and whos training these rebels?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I know Konkurs have the explosion packs that steer the missile in guidance. What do TOWs use and are they basically the same (wire guided large AT missiles) or is there a big advantage to one system or the other?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
TOWs have a sustained booster and four wings to stabilize it in flight.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hersh was interviewed in the Turkish press, and asked about my work, which he was extremely dismissive about, as well as the work of Dan Kaszeta, which he didn't even attempt to address, just did his "who is this guy?" bit. I've read the yet unreleased English version, where he comes across as pretty annoyed about the whole thing. I've responded to some of the latest statements he's made in my piece, The Knowledge Gap - Seymour's Hersh Of Cards.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Have you revealed the ridiculous reason he originally emailed you yet?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Brown Moses posted:

Hersh was interviewed in the Turkish press, and asked about my work, which he was extremely dismissive about, as well as the work of Dan Kaszeta, which he didn't even attempt to address, just did his "who is this guy?" bit. I've read the yet unreleased English version, where he comes across as pretty annoyed about the whole thing. I've responded to some of the latest statements he's made in my piece, [url=http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/the-knowledge-gap-seymours-hersh-of.html]The Knowledge Gap - Seymour's Hersh Of Cards

let's not forget that this is the guy who uncovered the u.s. Biggest war crimes in Vietnam and Iraq and was a key factor in turning the tide of public opinion against both those conflicts. While he has his faults he's in a different league and category than you. And he doesn't have the luxury of being 'invited to meet important people' to gather his info because he's made an enemy out of those establishments.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

let's not forget that this is the guy who uncovered the u.s. Biggest war crimes in Vietnam and Iraq and was a key factor in turning the tide of public opinion against both those conflicts. While he has his faults he's in a different league and category than you. And he doesn't have the luxury of being 'invited to meet important people' to gather his info because he's made an enemy out of those establishments.

Judging by the numbers of journalists contacting me saying he's out of touch and my work clearly demonstrates he's wrong, I'm not too worried if he decides to come down to my level.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Best Friends posted:

At the time many were saying it might happen, but Hersh said definitively "it will happen, and here is the timetable." His entire career, for good and for ill, has been him finding great sources, and then believing them entirely. I would bet the Iran piece came down to someone in the Bush administration wanting to scare the piss out of Iran, and leaking to Hersh knowing he would run with it in full.

Happen to have a link to that article? The one I saw a short time ago didn't mention things so specific as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Radio Prune posted:

Did Hersh ever clarify his comments on the Bin Laden raid?

He said that to promote his "alternative history of the war on terror" book, which is coming out at some unspecified future date.

• Locked thread