Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

That's not it either. He's saying (and I disagree with him) that a big chunk of metal glorifies evil and that it can be a moral disease. It isn't so much against metal, but rather against the way in which the scene has been shaped.

This is like seeing that Gaahl "...Satan" video and not cracking up. Some people just take the schtick too seriously.

There are some hosed up people in metal, but I really don't think the "evil" imagery is the root of that.

hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

IRQ posted:

This is like seeing that Gaahl "...Satan" video and not cracking up. Some people just take the schtick too seriously.

There are some hosed up people in metal, but I really don't think the "evil" imagery is the root of that.

hail satan

Hail Satan, friend.

:nws: just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQVVS0pFn0

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

m-o-o-n posted:

Speaking of has-beens, here's the turnout for Metal All Stars in Helsinki, Finland last night

An entire indoor arena was booked for this thing.
Haha, the promoter didn't cancel this after it became obvious that they were only gonna sell a hundred tickets?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

m-o-o-n posted:

Speaking of has-beens, here's the turnout for Metal All Stars in Helsinki, Finland last night

An entire indoor arena was booked for this thing.
heh, never heard about this before.. but it doesn't seem like a surprise that this failed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

m-o-o-n posted:

Holy moly he's literally mr. Mackey

whoever this dingus is posted:

I am a non-denominational Christian who believes in Good, God, Christ and the Spirit

And that's our cue that this dude's an idiot who has no clue what he's talking about.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Insomnium has their 3rd new song up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZ5SLJmfdw

Unfffffffffff, can't wait for the new album.

e: Apologies if this is a repost.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 7, 2014

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

FYI, the new Triptykon leaked. It's loving bleak, but I expect nothing less of Tom G. Warrior.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Friends Are Evil posted:

FYI, the new Triptykon leaked. It's loving bleak, but I expect nothing less of Tom G. Warrior.

I'm exceedingly excited to hear that album.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
I'm jealous of people who live in Brooklyn. St. Vitus Bar seems to have the best one-off shows of any venue around since NYC is home to so much experimental black and death metal (in addition to tour stops)...Pyrrhon just played with Kayo Dot, and on 5/19, they'll be playing with Castevet, Artificial Brain, and Thantifaxath, which is one of the better lineups I've seen in a while. Oh, and right before that:
Negura Bunget 5/9
Ulcerate 5/10
Solstafir 5/16
And the days after:
Coffins 5/20
Cripple Bastards/Hooded Menace/Maruta 5/21
Excruciating Terror/Unholy Grave/Birdflesh 5/22
And that's just at one venue. Fuckers. Raleigh is awful. Actually I guess I should be glad I don't live there since I'd probably spend 25% of each paycheck going to shows.

On an unrelated note, the new Triptykon album is killer. So is Gojira's live album Les Enfants Sauvages.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Negura Bunget is coming to Charlotte at least. So is Ghost. So is Behemoth/1349/Inquisition.

Man, Charlotte is the new Raleigh now isn't? That's a sad thought.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

QPZIL posted:

Negura Bunget is coming to Charlotte at least. So is Ghost. So is Behemoth/1349/Inquisition.

Man, Charlotte is the new Raleigh now isn't? That's a sad thought.

It is indeed. Raleigh has some decent venues that occasionally book major metal shows (The Maywood (previously Volume 11), Lincoln Theatre (nicest venue), Kings (best sound)), but almost every tour skips us and goes from N. VA to Charlotte to Atlanta instead these days. Seemed to start happening more and more when Volume 11 closed, even though it reopened...not that I'd expect any different considering the layout now. I think the last good major metal show I went to was Vader/Vital Remains at Kings, and that was back in October.

edit: perhaps I was wrong...coming up in the next two weeks at The Maywood, we've got Master on the 15th and Midnight on the 19th. That's not too bad.

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 8, 2014

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I think that Ghost Reveries was Opeth's best album (even over Blackwater Park). I felt like it was the perfect fusion of Mikael's death metal and prog rock tendencies and it also had the best production values of any album, especially in the drum department.

I wish they would do another death metal album, but if they're not writing the songs to be in a death metal vein, then I'd rather they stick with prog rock instead of trying to write something forced. I don't think that Opeth is a spent entity or anything, but we're starting to feel the impact of losing Lopez and Lindgren. Mikael may have been the principal songwriter, but Martin and Peter definitely left their marks on the albums that they were on.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All this Opeth talk raises a question: are there any bands who got noticeably heavier or more aggressive over the course of their careers? I guess Opeth's most purely death metal album came six albums in, but then they went in the opposite direction. Otherwise the only example I can think of is, uh...Dream Theater.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Henchman of Santa posted:

All this Opeth talk raises a question: are there any bands who got noticeably heavier or more aggressive over the course of their careers? I guess Opeth's most purely death metal album came six albums in, but then they went in the opposite direction. Otherwise the only example I can think of is, uh...Dream Theater.

The only other band I can think of is Pantera.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Does Agalloch count? They definitely got way heavier and less "mellow folky doom" after Aesop Dekker joined. Even The Mantle to Ashes Against the Grain is a pretty big jump, and they've put out a lot since then.

On a much more obscure note, and with a much shorter career so far, Plebeian Grandstand might qualify, as they've started to sound less like Converge and a little bit more like Dodecahedron (I've posted the second video before, or at least a song from the same album):
2010https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLudNgrU7yk
2014https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCoQ-RM4ZZ0

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 8, 2014

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

YOB and Celtic Frost both come to mind. Also, High on Fire's newest album is their heaviest yet, but that could just be part of getting Kurt Ballou to produce it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I think High On Fire are about as consistent as a band can get in terms of style. Ballou just makes things hit like a truck.

And Celtic Frost changed from thrash to doom over the course of things but I consider the relative "heaviness" about equal. Of course, having Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis in the middle of all that makes their late career look much much heavier.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

I just looked through my entire library and the only other band I see that fits that description is Symphony X. Their last two releases are much heavier and aggressive/straightforward than anything before, and unfortunately it doesn't really suit their style and results in them not being as memorable either (much like Dream Theater's recent output).

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Optimum Gulps posted:

It is indeed. Raleigh has some decent venues that occasionally book major metal shows (The Maywood (previously Volume 11), Lincoln Theatre (nicest venue), Kings (best sound)), but almost every tour skips us and goes from N. VA to Charlotte to Atlanta instead these days. Seemed to start happening more and more when Volume 11 closed, even though it reopened...not that I'd expect any different considering the layout now. I think the last good major metal show I went to was Vader/Vital Remains at Kings, and that was back in October.

Not just limited to metal but there's still way too many venues around Raleigh for the size of the area, so any given show will draw like half what it would anywhere else because there's like 10 other things going on the same night, which splits the potential crowd.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

hopterque posted:

Insomnium has their 3rd new song up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZ5SLJmfdw

Unfffffffffff, can't wait for the new album.

e: Apologies if this is a repost.

Amazing. I want to thank this thread for introducing me to this band that is quickly becoming one of my favorites. They remind me a bit of a cross between old school Amorphis and Sentenced, which were my favorite bands in high school. Can anyone give me some recommendations on similar music from the last decade, if they're a band from the 90s, chances are I'm already into them. I've also gotten into Wintersun and Ominum Gatherum thanks to the thread, who are also incredible.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Optimum Gulps posted:

edit: perhaps I was wrong...coming up in the next two weeks at The Maywood, we've got Master on the 15th and Midnight on the 19th. That's not too bad.

I didn't know Volume 11 reopened! I saw so many great shows there... an unbelievable number of great shows there honestly.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

Ballou just makes things hit like a truck.

Totally. Pretty much every band that signs on with Ballou gets markedly heavier. That last Skeletonwitch album ripped harder than even Permafrost imo.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

QPZIL posted:

I didn't know Volume 11 reopened! I saw so many great shows there... an unbelievable number of great shows there honestly.

It reopened as The Maywood sometime around a year ago, but it's no longer a great music venue. Having been there many times, you probably remember the layout. Well, it's reversed now. The huge open space that used to house the stage and standing room now has six pool tables and a few stools around the perimeter, and the stage is where the entrance used to be, at the end of the narrow section next to the bar and bathrooms. It's also barely a foot tall, so if you aren't >6'2" you can't see the band very well unless you stand on the couch against the wall.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That just seems like a terrible business plan. Nobody wants to sip single barrel Elijah Craig while some lovely metalcore band transplanted straight from 2006 bleats 50 feet away on stage.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Traditional thrash / climatic thrash metal / blackened death thrash

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

sleepingbuddha posted:

Amazing. I want to thank this thread for introducing me to this band that is quickly becoming one of my favorites. They remind me a bit of a cross between old school Amorphis and Sentenced, which were my favorite bands in high school. Can anyone give me some recommendations on similar music from the last decade, if they're a band from the 90s, chances are I'm already into them. I've also gotten into Wintersun and Ominum Gatherum thanks to the thread, who are also incredible.

If you like Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum, there's no real possible way you won't also like Be'lakor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJs1E6NVzQ

Then there's Whispered. I've been listening to their second album Shogunate Macabre a whole drat lot lately, and it's definitely one of the better melodeath albums to come out in recent years. They have this Japan-gimmick, but it's just a superficial flavour (a cool one though) and makes me think more Kurosawa and less weeaboo anime bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WNdYVM0rRA

I cannot loving get enough of that guitar hook in that song.

FartGhost
Mar 7, 2013

sleepingbuddha posted:

You should check out Noumena, they sound a lot like Insomnium.

Barren Earth has a bunch of guys that used to be in Amorphis in it.

Hanging Garden are also really good.

And Eternal Tears of Sorrow too but they were around in the 90's so you might know them already.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Father_Johann posted:

Totally. Pretty much every band that signs on with Ballou gets markedly heavier. That last Skeletonwitch album ripped harder than even Permafrost imo.

That Today Is The Day album he produced went in the opposite direction, but that was probably intentional.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Not strictly metal, but it got close: Porcupine Tree got a LOT heavier with their last two releases (Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident), but it being PT, they still had a lot of very mellow songs scattered in there. And yeah, someone mentioned Pantera which was probably the most extreme example.

Alcest was kinda doing this until suddenly Shelter happened, which was a very sharp 180.

One could also make an argument for Behemoth. His current sound is definitely heavier sounding than his old black metal days.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 8, 2014

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Motorhead

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Testament, ya dinguses.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Blut aus Nord too, if by "heavier" you mean more hosed-up and abstract.

Same with Gorguts and DsO.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Nordick posted:

If you like Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum, there's no real possible way you won't also like Be'lakor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJs1E6NVzQ

Then there's Whispered. I've been listening to their second album Shogunate Macabre a whole drat lot lately, and it's definitely one of the better melodeath albums to come out in recent years. They have this Japan-gimmick, but it's just a superficial flavour (a cool one though) and makes me think more Kurosawa and less weeaboo anime bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WNdYVM0rRA

I cannot loving get enough of that guitar hook in that song.

FartGhost posted:

You should check out Noumena, they sound a lot like Insomnium.

Barren Earth has a bunch of guys that used to be in Amorphis in it.

Hanging Garden are also really good.

And Eternal Tears of Sorrow too but they were around in the 90's so you might know them already.

Thanks, I now have a ton of new stuff to listen to. I'd never heard of any of these bands.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
A lot of Symphonic Metal bands get progressively harder as their careers go on. Epica, Nightwish, Sirenia and Amorphis all got substantially harder over their careers.

Actually Dark Tranquility is a good example. They started out as pretty generic melodeath/Cradle of Filth stuff and ended up in a more black metal influenced place. There new stuff sounds more like Amon Amarth than anything. It's true that their earlier stuff was more heavy too, but it was pretty light on guitars.

Circa 2002 "boring In Flames soundalike era":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU-ra1ffmTE

Circa 2013 "still boring but less lovely era":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTkwuyb_PLc

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

A lot of Symphonic Metal bands get progressively harder as their careers go on. Epica, Nightwish, Sirenia and Amorphis all got substantially harder over their careers.

Amorphis is a really bad example because The Karelian Isthmus was a normal-ish death metal album, then they sorta softened up and made melodic prog metal starting with Elegy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was gonna say, Amorphis went from death metal to cheesy prog with some Gothenburg poo poo going on.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

They had a phase where they released a decent heavy rock album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvy6zF3a6ms

Then they switched singers and decided full-on girlfriend metal is what they love playing

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

m-o-o-n posted:

Then they switched singers and decided full-on girlfriend metal is what they love playing

It doesn't help that the guy can't sing at all.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Divinity is an awesome song. They got more stoner rock after that, then had some heavier songs with the new singer, but a lot of it is pretty forgettable. I was super excited to finally get to see them a few years ago at a small club. Samael was opening and half the crowd didn't even bother to stick around for Amorphis. It was a really good show, they primarily played stuff from Tales and Elegy. It was their first US tour, and I'd be surprised if they ever came back to the States after such a low turnout.

sleepingbuddha fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just noticed the Metal Alliance Tour is at House of Blues in Dallas this Friday. Behemoth, GoatWhore and 1349? Yes please. I'm not familiar with the other 2 acts, but going by the promo photos, Inquisition is grimdark frounyface early-Immortal worship, and Black Crown Initiate will be beardariffic stoner rock. I'm at work and they block streaming radio type stuff, how close am I?