Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

now imagine I just posted 20 pictures where Tannehill over/under threw Wallace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Wallace wasn't great last year but we also left a ton of big plays on the field with horrible under throws. Some of them were inexcusable.

Tannehill said after the season that they almost never went deep in practice and probably averaged one go route attempt per game.

I'm hoping a real OC can help them connect because the problem is not arm strength and Tanny has shown quality touch on other routes as well. I'm not real optimistic though, Dolphins football and all that.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

SlipUp posted:

Josh Wilson was actually good in Baltimore as of three seasons ago.

Dammit Washington, fix your field.

It's fixed. Wilson got beat like a drum all year last year. It was pretty bad. I think he had a decent two years in DC.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'll go out on a limb here and say the 2014 Miami Dolphins look pretty good sometimes, but at other times they will look bad.

oh my god I just google image searched 7-9 and I swear this image was on the fourth row

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Parlett316 posted:

It's fixed. Wilson got beat like a drum all year last year. It was pretty bad. I think he had a decent two years in DC.

Wilson had a lot of choice company, the entire Redskins secondary besides possibly Hall got torched on the regular. E: Living in Redskins TV market is the worst. Between them and the Packers, I saw a lot of really terrible secondary play last year.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ehud posted:

now imagine I just posted 20 pictures where Tannehill over/under threw Wallace.

If you can find one where Tannehill overthrew him, I'd be impressed. And I'm not saying Wallace was the only problem. Tannehill hits Clay and Hartline in stride, but not the one guy he needs to.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

There are several in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNLTdNxhFvw

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

Tannehill said after the season that they almost never went deep in practice and probably averaged one go route attempt per game.

There's absolutely no reasonable explanation for that. Who was the OC?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

John Brown posted:

Mike Sherman

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

John Brown posted:

A completely useless fuckwad.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

well that's convenient

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I don't know what's worse; Mike Wallace throwing up his hands at Tannehill like a child when he gets over-thrown, or the DB's who look pleased with themselves for stopping an under-thrown ball.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

So many of those would have gone for touchdowns if he had been on target, geez.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Chilichimp posted:

I don't know what's worse; Mike Wallace throwing up his hands at Tannehill like a child when he gets over-thrown, or the DB's who look pleased with themselves for stopping an under-thrown ball.

Well I would also be pretty annoyed if my qb couldn't throw a deep ball well when it is the only thing I can do

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Brannock posted:

So many of those would have gone for touchdowns if he had been on target, geez.

All but the first one as far as I could tell

e: and maybe even the first if he throws over the outside shoulder

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 9, 2014

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

For some context compare Wallace w/ the Steelers vs Wallace w/ the Dolphins. Bruce Arians loved the deep ball in Pittsburgh but it's not like Wallace caught them all, his game didn't really explode until 2010 when he started getting huge catch-and-runs. Speed is the best part of his game, not just the deep ball.

In 2010-2011 he averaged about 6.5 YAC (they also tried to give him end-arounds and poo poo; for example he scored a rushing TD in the Tebow playoff game). He dropped to 4.3 YAC in 2012 after Arians left and, for whatever reason, Haley's system favored Antonio Brown; in 2013 w/ the Dolphins he averaged 3.9 YAC. Bruce Arians had the key to his roller-skates, Haley and Sherman haven't gotten the same production.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 9, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's important to keep in mind that hooking up on the deep ball is one of the harder things to do in football. Hitting a dude in stride 50 yards away is pretty amazing and really needs QB and WR to be at their best.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

A fun game is to guess as he releases the ball whether it'll be over or under thrown.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If Tannehill had a good deep ball, we would have made the playoffs and there would be little question as to his future because his numbers would actually be pretty good; probably something like 28-30TD, 17INT, and 4300ish yards.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

If Tannehill had a good deep ball, we would have made the playoffs and there would be little question as to his future because his numbers would actually be pretty good; probably something like 28-30TD, 17INT, and 4300ish yards.

So about the same as Andy Dalton?

onomatopizza
Dec 12, 2004

A word that sounds like pizza.

Eifert Posting posted:

Except for interceptions in the mid-20s.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Catfish Noodlin posted:

He didn't have problems throwing deep the year before, or to anyone else other than Wallace. Everyone on the team who had a deep attempt thrown to them over the past two years besides Marlon Moore(and only in 2013) had at worst double the success rate on deep passes as Wallace. The year before Wallace got here Tannehill was top 10 in completion % on those throws, this year he dropped to 32 of 40.

That's so rear end-backwards it isn't funny.

Yeah he missed hartline deep multiple times in 2012 actually, most notably in the Arizona game.

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

It's easier to get a deep ball to A.J. Green than to Mike Wallace. That being said, yes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

onomatopizza posted:

Except for interceptions in the mid-20s.

34 TDs 20 INTs.

Edit: Looking at the game logs, Dalton threw 4 of his INTs week 17. :stare: Imagine how different the dialog would be if he had sat week 17.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 9, 2014

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Febreeze posted:

Every Cardinals fan I've ever met has been like "eh, whatever, i don't really care about them but i'll watch games from time to time"

I've never met a hardcore Cards fan.

gently caress you, bro.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

TheBizness posted:

Maybe just "go" routes, but Wallace had a load of deep targets. PFF has him at third most in the league this year, and the most in his career. It's just his success rate sucked.

Again, Wallace's work ethic blows. He won't warm-up with Tannehill before games, he can't be bothered to show up to pre-OTA QB/WR workouts, which would really be an ideal time for them to fix the deep ball issue. You know, when he can focus on that without worrying if he'll get exhausted during practice or pre-game running long routes over and over.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Yeah he missed hartline deep multiple times in 2012 actually, most notably in the Arizona game.

Sure, but he was still in the top 10 for completion percentage on deep throws.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

34 TDs 20 INTs.

Edit: Looking at the game logs, Dalton threw 4 of his INTs week 17. :stare: Imagine how different the dialog would be if he had sat week 17.

It would probably still be about how he can't win a playoff game because he doesn't have *it*.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
If *it* happens to be a strong arm and good decision making, then yes.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Haha gently caress this is frustrating to watch. The majority of these should have been touchdowns but instead... :flaccid:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SlipUp posted:

It means playing for someone other than the Bengals, Lions, Chiefs, Browns or Bills I think.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SlipUp posted:

Of course you'd think that, Dalton threw 40% of his INTs last year to the Ravens. Actual stats argue otherwise:

PFF posted:

2. Dalton is a quality decision-maker.

One of my favorite stats in the PFF Signature Stat portfolio is Time in Pocket for quarterbacks. Watching any NFL telecast, you’re likely to hear a lot about how important it is for the quarterback to make swift decisions and get the ball out quickly. I’m going to examine this concept in more detail later in the offseason, but right now I’m going to ask you to take it on faith that this is one area where the conventional wisdom gets it right. For pocket passers, getting rid of the ball quickly is hugely valuable. In 2013 Peyton Manning led the NFL in Time to Throw at 2.36 seconds. Dalton finished second at 2.43. Tom Brady was fourth at 2.46. Dalton led the NFL in percentage of passes thrown in 2.5 seconds or less.

It’s not enough to get rid of the ball quickly, however. You must also do it successfully. Dalton is obviously not anywhere near Manning’s insane 121.4 passer rating in such situations, but his 91.7 is very solid. Brady finished at 98.3. Matthew Stafford, another quarterback who receives scant recognition for getting rid of the ball quickly, was at 93.1. (Unlike Brady and Stafford, Dalton’s passer rating didn’t crater on passes released after 2.5 seconds.)

3. Andy Dalton is an elite deep passer.

If there’s one thing about Dalton no one disputes, it’s this: he finds himself in possession of a lousy arm. Fortunately, having a howitzer isn’t the key component in attacking a defense deep. Accuracy, anticipation, and a willingness to let it rip are all more important.

Ignoring small sample passers, only Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, and Peyton Manning were meaningfully more accurate than Dalton on deep balls in 2013. Only Manning and Drew Brees – who was less accurate than Dalton – threw for more yardage on balls that traveled at least 20 yards in the air. Neither of them attacked deep as frequently as Dalton, who threw long on 14.7% of his attempts. Then there’s this. Manning and Brees saw their receivers drop four deep passes combined. Dalton’s receivers dropped seven all by themselves, the highest number of deep drops in the NFL.

Dalton is weird as gently caress and I honestly don't know what to think about him. The more I read and watch the more confused I get. I wouldn't argue he's good, I wouldn't argue he's bad. He could be both. At any rate the Bengals would be fools to not extend him. His perceived value is far, far, below his actual value.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Eifert Posting posted:

Of course you'd think that, Dalton threw 40% of his INTs last year to the Ravens. Actual stats argue otherwise:

Dalton is weird as gently caress and I honestly don't know what to think about him. The more I read and watch the more confused I get. I wouldn't argue he's good, I wouldn't argue he's bad. He could be both. At any rate the Bengals would be fools to not extend him. His perceived value is far, far, below his actual value.

Can't he just be "an alright QB"?

Not everyone is going to be amazing or bad. Some guys will be average, above average, work well in some situations, be below average, etc. Dalton is clearly above average, but also clearly not by a lot.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Eifert Posting posted:

Of course you'd think that, Dalton threw 40% of his INTs last year to the Ravens.

Originally I figured it was Reed that was loving him up so bad but nah. Seems like purple just isn't Andy's color. I'm still mad that our o-line threw week 17 away after all the chances the defense provided

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Originally I figured it was Reed that was loving him up so bad but nah. Seems like purple just isn't Andy's color. I'm still mad that our o-line threw week 17 away after all the chances the defense provided

Not just purple, he seems to think Joe Haden plays for the Bengals.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Intercepting Dalton is like riding a bike. Once you learn you can always do it again.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dalton may end up getting a lot of praise this coming season for his "improvement" even though the key will be that he threw about 490 passes instead of 590. He may also lob up like 30 interceptions though. Either way I'm really looking forward to the next swift death of all hope and joy.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Eifert Posting posted:

I fundamentally disagree with the assertion that Dalton is a good decision maker. Good decisions makers aren't as hugely inconsistent in their decision making as Dalton is.

Also, while I thought it was a good article overall, I got a laugh out of point seven when the author goes "High variance? what? statistical noise! LALALA" But the answer he's looking for as to why Dalton turns in really good games against bad teams and poo poo games against good teams is that Dalton can follow a basic script well enough but when challenged and has to improvise on the fly or make a great throw to put the defense on it's heels, he can't. Dalton is a low ceiling, average starter.

As for his deep ball, I'll have to look into it more but I don't buy that the problems with the Cinci offense are Jay Gruden and AJ Green.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dalton doesn't necessarily turn in good vs bad and bad vs good, it just looks like he sucks inside his own division exclusively. 120.3 QB rating in 4 games against the NFC North, 90.7 QB rating in 4 games against the AFC East, 66.4 rating in-division.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
So he's just really easy to read. Divison games when the other teams know him best and playoff games when the other teams have the most to lose are when Dalton is at his worst. I agree with Slipup. The guy is serviceable but once you figure him out he is terrible at adjusting his game to suit the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He pretty much kept Miami in that game after Lamar miller worked so hard to throw it away

• Locked thread