Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm still laughing at "unionizing might hurt the Wildcats in their goal of winning the Big Ten"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern is only 14 years removed from their last Big Ten title, and they won a bowl game once, you jerks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yes, a corporation will be willing to pay US dollars to license the likeness of Northwestern football players.

It's not like their market value would be in the hundreds of millions. poo poo, a handful of mcchickens would probably cover it. More than the cut of the profits they get now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd rather EA just make up names of Northwestern football players and sees if anyone notices. Here are some suggestions:

Cornelius Touchdownbilt III
Phil MCAT
Barry Schwartz
Pete Campbell
The Fifth Baron Saxeburg-Goethe
Steve Urkell
Trevor Siemian

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I got Jesus Boehner as an auto-generated name one time in an NHL game. I would've let him walk in free agency if he had a normal name, but instead I paid his rear end and made him a fixture for a decade, even though he was like the 4th best player on my roster at RW.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm still laughing at "unionizing might hurt the Wildcats in their goal of winning the Big Ten"

It'll put them at a huge competitive disadvantage against The Ohio State University:
https://twitter.com/sganim/status/453527959458938880/photo/1

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hahaha loving politicians.

You'd think they'd realize paying players would actually benefit a program like Ohio State who can outspend small schools

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

oldskool posted:

It'll put them at a huge competitive disadvantage against The Ohio State University:

Seems legit.

Well, I guess we're done here boys.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

oldskool posted:

I can tell it's a big deal because Sara Ganim is throwing her hat in the ring.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Volkerball posted:

Madden pulls a profit. Even smaller sports manage to get their likenesses secured while still providing quality games. It's absolutely petty. We'll ruin the sanctity of the game played by student athletes just out there having fun if we let them be in video games! :qq:

Madden is one of, if not the, top selling game franchise. NCAA was... Somewhat less.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Isn't NCAAF a skin of Madden? How much extra expense is that to create?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
When the NCAA is finally smashed or whatever happens, I wonder if the age-limit on players will have to go to. There is no reason not to have 25 year olds on the team if it isn't attached to a university. I kinda like that to be honest, Eric Crouch could still be playing.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Sash! posted:

Madden is one of, if not the, top selling game franchise. NCAA was... Somewhat less.

Fifa sells more than it just in terms of sports franchises. I'm sure Call of Duty and other heavy hitters sell more as well.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Femur posted:

Isn't NCAAF a skin of Madden? How much extra expense is that to create?

Skin 4x the stadiums & uniforms, plus the code to randomly yet competently regenerate 20% of the game's roster base every season and being able to create schedules based on a handful of parameters because you can shuffle conference affiliations, all while being the guinea pig for Madden innovations because it releases a month earlier.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

vaginal culture posted:

When the NCAA is finally smashed or whatever happens, I wonder if the age-limit on players will have to go to. There is no reason not to have 25 year olds on the team if it isn't attached to a university. I kinda like that to be honest, Eric Crouch could still be playing.

This is the exact reason I want the NCAA gone. I want a massive, unregulated system of minor league teams with entire rosters of, not good enough for NFL, but still talented and fun players.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NCAAF14 owns but the biggest problem is that the uniform update packs cost like a dollar each after the first one which is bullshit

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oldskool posted:

Doesn't this just mean that they could unionize as private employees?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

computer parts posted:

Doesn't this just mean that they could unionize as private employees?

Who would be their private employer? Everybody else at a state university is a public employee.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sash! posted:

NHL is even less than that, but they still secure the rights to players in every minor league you can possibly think of, all over the world. It's got to be a similar amount of teams as all of FBS football.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
NCAAF would be a better game if it was just a skin on Madden. At least up until the last time I paid attention, NCAAF was its own engine and lagged about 2 years behind Madden.

Would be interesting if they just combined them into one giant game, allowing you to play both levels.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
One of the NW players (a kicker?) on espn yesterday said their first vote was just to file to make unionization possible for any ncaa player. He said support for them actually forming a union there might be a bit lower (not to mention all the political coercing going on now).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

effectual posted:

One of the NW players (a kicker?) on espn yesterday said their first vote was just to file to make unionization possible for any ncaa player. He said support for them actually forming a union there might be a bit lower (not to mention all the political coercing going on now).

A whole lot of NW football players are going to have incredible internships this summer.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

FizFashizzle posted:

A whole lot of NW football players are going to have incredible internships this summer.

There's going to be an SMU-style slush fund to bribe the players to not form a union, and when the NCAA finds out it'll be glorious

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'd rather EA just make up names of Northwestern football players and sees if anyone notices. Here are some suggestions:

Cornelius Touchdownbilt III
Phil MCAT
Barry Schwartz
Pete Campbell
The Fifth Baron Saxeburg-Goethe
Steve Urkell
Trevor Siemian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1nGjGM2p8

I dont know if anyone posted this yet, but its pretty good.

edit: Fudge.

edit2: Working as a teacher, white people do some hosed up names too. But you can bloo-bloo all you want about a joke I guess idk.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 9, 2014

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Man black people sure have zany names.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FizFashizzle posted:

Man black people sure have zany names.

To be fair they are both half black and half white so they are half allowed to make fun of black people names.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

football player names are, unironically, way better than regular names. they're just on a way higher level that most people can't really comprehend so they just look at them and go "haha oh black people"

Seriously, football player names are like old school Gundam names of the new world

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nebraska Cornhuskers star Quarterback, Quattro Bajeena

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Alouicious posted:

football player names are, unironically, way better than regular names. they're just on a way higher level that most people can't really comprehend so they just look at them and go "haha oh black people"

Seriously, football player names are like old school Gundam names of the new world

Jadeveon Clowney
Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Bishop Sankey
Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

This draft has some unreal name talent.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I got a lot of texts asking "What is that Alabama safety's real name?". I mean technically it's Ha'Sean but he's been going as Ha-Ha forever.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Aaron Donald. :effort:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Now we have players against players.

ESPN posted:

Northwestern's Trevor Siemian said Wednesday it was wrong for former quarterback Kain Colter and other players to explore unionization without first taking their concerns to their coach and administrators.

The school's football players are scheduled to vote later this month on whether to form a union to possibly bargain over better compensation, health insurance and work conditions. Siemian, a quarterback who will be a senior this fall, said during a conference call with reporters that players should have taken their concerns to coach Pat Fitzgerald and athletic director James Phillips before setting out to unionize.

"I'm treated far better than I deserve here," Siemian said. "Introducing a third party or somebody else, especially when our main goals when this began ... there were issues with the NCAA that we thought we could address, and (unionizing) was one of the ways to do it. Nothing had been exhausted from within the school. Myself included, nobody ever addressed Fitz or Dr. Phillips about these issues.

"Two of these guys that all of us have come here and trusted so much -- I've known coach Fitz five or six years now -- to say I don't trust you enough to help us out addressing these changes isn't the right way to go."

A regional director for the National Labor Relations Board announced on March 26 that Northwestern's football players meet the definition of employees under federal law and are allowed to unionize. The players are set to vote by secret ballot April 25 on whether to form a union.

Northwestern on Wednesday asked the full NLRB to review and overturn the recent ruling by the NLRB Chicago Regional Director that the school's scholarship football players are employees and may be represented by a union.

Calling the decision by the regional director "unprecedented," Northwestern's brief states that the director overlooked or ignored key evidence that Northwestern presented showing that its student-athletes are primarily students, not employees. The appeal was filed Wednesday with the NLRB in Washington, DC.

"Northwestern presented overwhelming evidence establishing that its athletic program is fully integrated with its academic mission, and that it treats its athletes as students first," the brief states. "Based on the testimony of a single player, the Regional Director described Northwestern's football program in a way that is unrecognizable from the evidence actually presented at the hearing."
I'm sure the NCAA would be thrilled to know how exactly Northwestern treats Siemian "far better than he deserves", it's practically begging for an investigation.

Also, what. Take it to the coach? What's he going to do about people asking for medical coverage?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
The same dude who thinks "unionizing might hurt the Wildcats in their goal of winning the Big Ten."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
He's probably just a good ol' christian boy who thinks he doesn't deserve anything until he proves his worth (And as a corrolary, disabled/old people shouldn't get gov' assistance). There are a lot of young people now who have had "bootstraps" fed to them by their reaganite parents and mass media.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Instead of turning this into a terrible D&D thread can we please just laugh at "unionizing might hurt the Wildcats in their goal of winning the Big Ten."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm glad someone else is finally on board with laughing at that sentence.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

effectual posted:

He's probably just a good ol' christian boy who thinks he doesn't deserve anything until he proves his worth (And as a corrolary, disabled/old people shouldn't get gov' assistance). There are a lot of young people now who have had "bootstraps" fed to them by their reaganite parents and mass media.

Nah its seems to be a simple "I am friends with the coach and you don't go over friends heads" Which is hilarious but common thought among college athletes.

Bro no matter how much you may think it, they are not your friends.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 9, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Other things that may hurt Northwestern's chances of winning the Big Ten:

• Being Northwestern

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Friends don't let friends play with a serious concussion.

Football: not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Other things that may hurt Northwestern's chances of winning the Big Ten:

• Being Northwestern

Ohio State?
Having less B1G wins than NIU?

• Locked thread