Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Bung it in the toaster, take it out, on with butter and cheese, under the grill for all of a minute :effort:

If you need some quick energy to keep you going through this lengthy and arduous process, I guess you could always open a bag of crisps :btroll:

This is the correct way to make cheese on toast. Both sides of the bread need to be toasted before the cheese happens.

I'm not sure about the buttering of the toast, but its not such a huge issue that needs to split the consensus of both sides toasted.

Edited for history snipe-

1917- despite the ww1 history fest going on about the our brave boys being slaughtered by the thousands in the trenches for king and country, things like this happened

http://libcom.org/history/1917-the-etaples-mutiny

General China fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Croydon!

For fucks sake, what is it about this borough? Why's there never a good story about Croydon?

Eswin
Feb 21, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I assume using those little toastie bags that go in a toaster, and cutting the bread diagonally also fall under this?

I use toastie bags, it's ok, I'll shown myself off to the gulag :ohdear:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Here's something that's awesome in a toaster - potato waffles. Take 5 minutes rather than 20. Just turn the timer on full-whack.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

General China posted:

Its more a question of making decent cheese on toast than the fire risk. You need to toast your bread on both sides before you add the cheese.

I think you need a new butler this is terrible.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
And Maria Miller has gone

Kind of saddens me, as it was fun seeing everybody struggling to defend her, but then again, gently caress her. Here's her letter.

quote:

Dear Prime Minister,

It is with great regret that I have decided that I should tender my resignation as a member of the Cabinet.

I am very grateful to you for your personal support but it has become clear to me that the present situation has become a distraction from the vital work this Government is doing to turn our country around.

I have been a member of the Conservative Party for more than 30 years. As a working mother, educated at a South Wales comprehensive school, I know that it is our party that understands the importance of giving everyone the opportunity to succeed regardless of where they come from.

I am immensely proud of what my team have been able to achieve during my time in Government: ensuring that our arts and cultural institutions receive the rightful recognition that they deserve in making Britain Great; putting women front and centre of every aspect of DCMS's work; putting in place the legislation to enable all couples to have the opportunity to marry regardless of their sexuality.

Of course, implementing the recommendations made by Lord Justice Leveson on the future of media regulation, following the phone hacking scandals, would always be controversial for the press. Working together with you, I believe we struck the right balance between protecting the freedom of the press and ensuring fairness, particularly for victims of press intrusion to have a clear right of redress.

I will continue to support you and the work of the Government as you move forward. Ensuring the best future for the people of Basingstoke has been my priority throughout the last nine years. Whether on the front or back benches of the House of Commons I will continue this work.

The only reason I was able to become an MP and indeed a government minister and cabinet minister is because of the unstinting support of my husband, my mother, my father and my three children. I owe them all a great deal.

Maria Miller

I enjoy how she thanks her family for letting her become an MP and not her consituents. I hope they continually tell her to piss off in future.

Edit: gently caress, I forgot about the PMQs. I was really excited for them, now I have to listen to 'I showed strong leadership by standing by my cabinet and then letting them go, WEAK MILLIBAND WEAK'.

Fingerless Gloves fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 9, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

My mate did this, but he was trying to make beans on toast. Went about as well as you'd expect.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Are we allowed to use the c word in these special circumstance?

You know when you have a couple of hundred quid in the bank, dont own any property and hear about some ... person scamming the system for fifty thousand quid it does tick you off a bit.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 9, 2014

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Remind me never to read Telegraph comments again. What is important about this story, is that it was probably an asylum seeker who did it and should therefore be robbed and murdered.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Seaside Loafer posted:

Are we allowed to use the c word in this special circumstance?

Conservative? Yes, I think that fits well enough to be allowed for once.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Kind of saddens me, as it was fun seeing everybody struggling to defend her, but then again, gently caress her. Here's her letter.

I enjoy how she thanks her family for letting her become an MP and not her consituents. I hope they continually tell her to piss off in future.

Edit: gently caress, I forgot about the PMQs. I was really excited for them, now I have to listen to 'I showed strong leadership by standing by my cabinet and then letting them go, WEAK MILLIBAND WEAK'.

I like how their resignation letters sound exactly like their press releases

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Maria Miller is despicable filth who showed the lowest most absolute lack of morals and decency by not only stealing with both hands in a very well paid public position but also mendaciously grasping victim status while trying to slime her way out of the mildest consequences for her considerable crimes.

See, no need to use the c word while going on a cathartic rant. :)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

quote:

The only reason I was able to become an MP and indeed a government minister and cabinet minister is because of the unstinting support of my husband, my mother, my father and my three children. I owe them all a great deal.

Wow.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe she's trying to get them investigated for rigging the election?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Basingstoke, a constituency of 7 people.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 9, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Setting a precedent where a Tory Front Bencher has to resign due to massive amounts of obvious corruption can't be good for the Tories.

Or Labour, for that matter.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Unless you are IDS who seems teflon coated.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
An odd thing is that whenever Tories are in trouble they try to connect it to homophobia. David Laws stole tens of thousands of pounds due to 'being gay', in spite of pretty much every other gay person who faced prejudice getting by without doing so. Cameron deflected suspicions of Lord MacAlpine being a pedo by saying he didn't want a gay witch hunt and on Sunday IDS tried to claim the main reason people wanted Miller to go was her vote on gay marriage. Oh! Liam Fox tried to stay on after allowing private companies to influence MoD policy because of rumours he might be gay.

It is such an odd move each time, has it ever been even slightly effective?

Trickjaw posted:

Osborne obviously wants him gone but my guess would be Cameron is keeping him around to fall on the sword when some final catastrophe befalls the welfare state.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

...when some final catastrophe befalls the welfare state.

You mean when they achieve their goals?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

KKKlean Energy posted:

You mean when they achieve their goals?

Indeed, there will be crocodile tears and IDS dismissed then a few days later talk about how this was inevitable and we have to be realistic about what help the government can provide sustainably.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Indeed, there will be crocodile tears and IDS dismissed then a few days later talk about how this was inevitable and we have to be realistic about what help the government can provide sustainably.

IDS is a darling of the dry Tories, and having him in the cabinet - particularly in a place where he can do maximum harm to the welfare state - is one of the things keeping Cameron from being consumed by his own party. He's loving bulletproof for the foreseeable future.

(c.f. Gove and to a lesser extent Hague)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah, Gideon has moaned about IDS being thick. Really, the best thing you can say about the Conservatives is that they are so devious and self-serving they will always pick at the fabric of the party and wilfully throw anyone of their colleagues under the bus if it serves their purpose.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

Or Jeremy Hunt, who got moved to being Health Secretary.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Or Shapps, or whatever name he is going under these days. Just saw him on the news trying to make this all sunshine and lollipops, with his soulless eyes staring into the camera. They never do well trying to be nice about anyone or anything, beyond DO NOT CRITICISE THE PM!

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Can you predict some lottery numbers for me please?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

I just watched it for the first time in absolutely ages, is it always like that? All the terrible gurning and exaggerated facial expressions and people yelling and booing completely innocuous statements. It looked more like some scripted panel show/pantomime than democracy in action or whatever the hell it's meant to be.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I just watched it for the first time in absolutely ages, is it always like that? All the terrible gurning and exaggerated facial expressions and people yelling and booing completely innocuous statements. It looked more like some scripted panel show/pantomime than democracy in action or whatever the hell it's meant to be.

This is what happens when you let a bunch of public school boys run parliament like its another one of their Model United Nations clubs.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

ReV VAdAUL posted:

An odd thing is that whenever Tories are in trouble they try to connect it to homophobia. David Laws stole tens of thousands of pounds due to 'being gay', in spite of pretty much every other gay person who faced prejudice getting by without doing so. Cameron deflected suspicions of Lord MacAlpine being a pedo by saying he didn't want a gay witch hunt and on Sunday IDS tried to claim the main reason people wanted Miller to go was her vote on gay marriage. Oh! Liam Fox tried to stay on after allowing private companies to influence MoD policy because of rumours he might be gay.

I dunno, I do imagine that a fair bit of the backlash from within her own party towards her is founded on that existing resentment. Tebbit was the leading voice calling for her to be sacked.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I don't watch PMQs or any Westminster stuff on the basis that it's consistently like that; you can't hear anything and folks are rarely given the floor entirely to speak their mind. I know the Scottish Parliament isn't anything like that and I don't think the NI or Welsh Assemblies are either.

QuantumCrayons fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 9, 2014

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I used to watch it semi regularly when Blair was PM and I don't remember it being that bad.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Is it me or this Miller incident would make a brilliant Thick of It episode?
It's like the first season in essence.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

QuantumCrayons posted:

I refuse to watch PMQs or any Westminster stuff on the basis that it's consistently like that; you can't hear anything and folks are rarely given the floor entirely to speak their mind. I know the Scottish Parliament isn't anything like that and I don't think the NI or Welsh Assemblies are either.

You're doing yourself an injustice. PMQs is a show put on for the public and has all the theatrics associated with it. Its entire premise is to hold the PM to account, and considering that he generally gets a good battering in there, I'd say it's doing a good job of it. I actually enjoy watching it, once you accept it for what it is- basically just weekly mudslinging at the PM, and a platform for MPs to publicly show their constituents that yes, they are part of the political process and they do represent them (" would the pm commend the efforts of my constituent(s) who......"). I'd love to actually get in the public gallery to see it one of these days.

Nothing substantial gets done in there, it's literally a half hour window given to the public to see the PM get a good reaming.

If you watch any commons (or dareisay, lords) debates, then you'd be surprised at the level of debate and respect in there, it's worlds apart from PMQs.

Metrication posted:

I used to watch it semi regularly when Blair was PM and I don't remember it being that bad.

It's been like it as long as I can remember (~8 years).

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 9, 2014

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

IDS isn't Teflon coated. As a human pile of poo poo, other poo poo doesn't stick to him, it just gets absorbed into the ever growing morass of fetid waste that accretes around all members of the cabinet of the damned.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

happyhippy posted:

Is it me or this Miller incident would make a brilliant Thick of It episode?
It's like the first season in essence.
The coalition has long passed the point of actually being more absurdist and more contemptible than The Thick of It could ever hope to be. You routinely hear about former script writers avowing that they would never have written politics to be so hosed up as it is at that given moment.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

There was that Bingo & Beer poster put out that had a Thick Of It writer saying on twitter that if someone had brought that up in a script meeting it would have been rejected for being unrealistic.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Apparently Nadine Dorries has weighed in saying that this Miller business shows that MP expenses should be abolished and the right for MP recall implemented IMMEDIATELY.

Which is pretty loving ironic given that:

1) She hosed off on Im A Celebrity instead of doing her job as an MP.

2) She has employed at least two of her daughters to do work for her at salaries "up to" £40k a year - including when one of said daughters was at university/living 100 miles away.

3) Didnt register the amount of money she was making through media appearances with the HoC register of interests as she was using a shell company to hide it, about £130k in autumn last year.

4) Has been in the news for funnelling about £50k to one of her closest friends' advertising firm.

She is pretty high up on my list of people for the wall when the revolution comes.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Osborne obviously wants him gone but my guess would be Cameron is keeping him around to fall on the sword when some final catastrophe befalls the welfare state.

david laws isn't a tory, and that's not even the most inaccurate part of your summary there

jynxed
Sep 30, 2013

Lysdexia FWT!
(In other words, I'm dyslexic)

David Cameron said he hoped Mrs Miller would return to the cabinet "in due course". (Sorce)

So basically as soon as people forget. Miller says: "I hoped that I could stay" I bet she did - a job where she could take £45k with without having to be fired (still an MP), only paying back a fraction of the amount she took and doesnt even have to talk to the cops never mind face prosecution like the rest of us.

I like the fact that further down the BBC article I linked Cameron accuses Milliband of :"playing politics" ....So yeah he is the opposition leader isnt that what he is supposed to do? (rhetorical question ofc). He maybe be a pretty rubbish opposition leader but not even he could have let his one slide even if he wanted to.

jynxed fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 9, 2014

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

People loving hate Maria miller more so because her "apology" was literally her agreeing that she should apologize as per the committee's recommendation, she never actually apologized for defrauding the taxpayer of 45 grand or even acknowledging it even happened in her "speech".

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jynxed
Sep 30, 2013

Lysdexia FWT!
(In other words, I'm dyslexic)

Drone_Fragger posted:

People loving hate Maria miller more so because her "apology" was literally her agreeing that she should apologize as per the committee's recommendation, she never actually apologized for defrauding the taxpayer of 45 grand or even acknowledging it in her "speech".

tbh the shear entitlement she has shown through out this and Davyboy standing by her side shows the arrogance some of the political class have.

• Locked thread