Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

CellBlock posted:

True, I guess people in favor of gay marriage should have voted for McCain or Romney. Oh, wait...
Yeah, seriously. I wasn't thrilled with Obama's initial stance on gay marriage, but it was part of a long, long list of things where he was the lesser evil. Obama changed his mind, whereas I'm pretty sure Romney and McCain haven't, and I wouldn't be surprised if both of them went to the grave still being against gay marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Guilty Spork posted:

I wasn't thrilled with Obama's initial stance on gay marriage

It was pretty obviously a purely political stance and not a personal belief of his, IMO. He didn't so much "change his mind" as "decide he could drop the bullshit without hurting his or his party's electoral chances." Not the most honorable thing to do, but that's a sad reality of politics.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Obama's cynical waffling is not commendable by any means, but at no point was he actively campaigning to roll back gay rights.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

One might think that Obama has apologized for this wrongheaded stance, Eich refused to say he made a mistake or wouldn't donate to anti-gay groups again, and Americans' attitudes towards gay rights in 2008 is quite different than today (which is quite surprising, actually). One might think that, but then one would be injecting nuance and that would be wrong when we're trying to defend the rights of anti-gay bigots and get our Obama bashing for the day in :suicide:

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot that you aren't allowed to change your mind.

If you change your mind that means you are worthless and weak and can't stand behind your strong opinion. Intelligence has nothing to do with it of course.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Emron posted:

It's going to be "don't you want to ban knives now???" and almost certainly at least one parody image of an "assault knife." Book it.
It's like you're a goddamn psychic.

I'm Claire Innet.

Even more infuriating than the unlettered gun rights bullshit is the "pussification of America" crap. Do these assholes really think that everyone in school that day was just too weak to stand up to this kid?

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

JohnClark posted:

It's like you're a goddamn psychic.

I'm Claire Innet.

Even more infuriating than the unlettered gun rights bullshit is the "pussification of America" crap. Do these assholes really think that everyone in school that day was just too weak to stand up to this kid?

These people don't seem to realize just how much people don't want to get stabbed. I am not going to get close enough to hit a person with a knife, cause I don't want to take a knife to the giblets. Nobody wins in a knife fight,

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

JohnClark posted:

Yep, they should go lecture the victims about how they just need to man up and not get stabbed.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
In some martial arts classes to demonstrate how dangerous knives are they'll do a fake knife fight or a fake knife disarm except with markers. If you can get through it without getting any marker on you you win, and very few people can.

We did gun disarms in krav maga as well and the instructor basically said "this lesson is just for fun/knowledge, if someone is pointing a gun at you just do whatever they tell you to do. you can try this as a last resort if you're 100% certain that you're going to get shot, but if it reaches that point you're probably dead already." All these tough guys with their "I would have just" bullshit don't know what they're talking about.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

prom candy posted:

In some martial arts classes to demonstrate how dangerous knives are they'll do a fake knife fight or a fake knife disarm except with markers. If you can get through it without getting any marker on you you win, and very few people can.

We did gun disarms in krav maga as well and the instructor basically said "this lesson is just for fun/knowledge, if someone is pointing a gun at you just do whatever they tell you to do. you can try this as a last resort if you're 100% certain that you're going to get shot, but if it reaches that point you're probably dead already." All these tough guys with their "I would have just" bullshit don't know what they're talking about.

My martial arts/self defense classes were the same way. The instructors were all "If the guy has a gun pointed at you and demands your wallet, give it to him. It's not worth it. Don't even attempt the stuff we're teaching you in these situations unless you have no other choice."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dyz posted:

If you change your mind that means you are worthless and weak and can't stand behind your strong opinion. Intelligence has nothing to do with it of course.

Now let me tell you why you should vote for Mitt Romney, who has shown all the opposite views to the ones he said he held in the GOP primary.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jackpot posted:

There's an argument against raising the minimum wage that says something like 95% of all people already earn over the minimum anyway, and most of that 5% is high school kids working fast food, besides. There's a counterpoint, though, that says that's horseshit because those making $7.25 an hour won't be the only ones to have their wages increased (rising tide, etc) ... I just don't have the right words to say it. Anybody got a link?

Last page but everybody keeps forgetting that it's not just people who currently make minimum wage who will directly benefit from raising it, but everyone who makes less than the new minimum wage. And that's a lot more than 5%, it's closer to 1 in 4: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/07/24/573671/one-in-four-private-sector-workers-earn-less-than-10-an-hour/

Link to the study: http://nelp.3cdn.net/24befb45b36b626a7a_v2m6iirxb.pdf

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LunarShadow posted:

These people don't seem to realize just how much people don't want to get stabbed. I am not going to get close enough to hit a person with a knife, cause I don't want to take a knife to the giblets. Nobody wins in a knife fight,

Are you saying you're not trying to die in no ghetto?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SedanChair posted:

Only if my head gets cut off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFr30p0aZl0

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 10, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

prom candy posted:

The same analogy is used in one of my favorite Pen&Paper RPGs:

I don't want to say that it's a 'realistic' RPG, but it has some interesting mechanics that make combat an unpleasant experience where no one really wins.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Out of curiosity, did this really gain much traction in the US media? All I ever heard from it was an open letter from another employee basically asking people not to judge the entire company for the CEO's decision. It seemed like the whole deal was over before it even really began.

It's also cute to euphemistically call Prop 8 a "traditional marriage cause" when it was nothing less than a concerted attempt to specifically outlaw gay marriage.

There was a miner kerfluffle as the dating site OK Cupid did a thing where if you visited their site with Firefox you were directed to a page talking about the CEO and asking you to please use a different browser to visit their site.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

There was a miner kerfluffle as the dating site OK Cupid did a thing where if you visited their site with Firefox you were directed to a page talking about the CEO and asking you to please use a different browser to visit their site.

Which is exactly the kind of free market action that makes discrimination unattractive for businesses that Republicans claim to support, but imagine that, when it's used to help a group they support discrimination against suddenly it's bad.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

prom candy posted:

Maybe this is just me talking outta my rear end, but couldn't you just whack the guy in the forearm with a chair? You keep your own flesh an adequate distance from the blade, and you hit with enough impact to cause him to drop the knife.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Fulchrum posted:

Maybe this is just me talking outta my rear end, but couldn't you just whack the guy in the forearm with a chair? You keep your own flesh an adequate distance from the blade, and you hit with enough impact to cause him to drop the knife.

Get close enough with a chair that you can hit a guy, wind up enough that it's gonna hurt, and you're exposing yourself to a significant risk of getting cut.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Just walkin' down the street, carrying a chair as I am wont to do, when suddenly, a knife-wielding maniac appears! I thank my lucky stars that, like so many others, I carry a folding steel chair with me on most occasions.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Swan Oat posted:

Just walkin' down the street, carrying a chair as I am wont to do, when suddenly, a knife-wielding maniac appears! I thank my lucky stars that, like so many others, I carry a folding steel chair with me on most occasions.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

I also carry a folding chair with me at all times, for emergency sit-downs and knife attacks.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

prom candy posted:

Get close enough with a chair that you can hit a guy, wind up enough that it's gonna hurt, and you're exposing yourself to a significant risk of getting cut.

Throw chairs or anything else handy like feces. He's got an advantage close up so you probably shouldn't play into that. Better thing to do is run like hell unless he's got a bunch of children cornered or something in which case you might consider taking one for the team :/

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

Sometimes you just need to do a run-in.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

SedanChair posted:

gently caress, I forgot about that video....

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Well, now I get to be pissed off. For reasons that will become obvious, I take bullshit about the ACA very personally. I am "Patty Whack" in this conversation. Barry is my favorite sharer, the science teacher who doesn't believe in evolution.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot to hit the "see more" button, so it cut out "Shondra's" infuriating post:

"If it weren't so sad it would be a joke. Everything about the Affordable Care Act is as bad as the name. More people have lost their insurance than gained and nearly everyone signing up for it is paying more than they were to get services they don't need or want, all the while penalizing those who refuse to pay for the immoral acts of others. All this while the democrats sing and dance an unbelievable tune, "it's working, it's working". It makes Alice's Adventures in Wonderland seem like a documentary."

"immoral acts..." yeah, that's one hell of a dogwhistle.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 10, 2014

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

JohnClark posted:

Cracked actually had a pretty interesting article explaining that, in fact, our culture viewed bullying as a positive trend until fairly recently: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-manly-things-that-are-going-away-forever/

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Isn't a $12k deductible the maximum limit for family coverage? Which is only available as an exception for employer-sponsored plans in the small group market? Because I think the chances of him actually knowing someone forced into such a ridiculous situation is minuscule and he is parroting something he heard.

Not that calling him a liar is the way to proceed, but if he was genuinely concerned about his girlfriend's health care costs he should be looking at the better plans available instead of complaining that she went for the one with the cheapest premium and *surprise* the deductible is high. Does she buy cars from a dealership at sticker price, too?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Swan Oat posted:

I was talking about in the loving school. You're gonna tell me you don't think they have chairs there?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

I was talking about in the loving school. You're gonna tell me you don't think they have chairs there?

Look, we all believe that you are a tough man and you would take out the knife-wielding maniac with a chair before he is able to hurt anyone weaker than you.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Fulchrum posted:

Do go on about how you would manfully defeat the knife-wielding maniac :bigtran:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I mean look, Clint Eastwood knows he could have to defend himself from knife wielding thugs at any time:

He even gives his chair a name and talks to it and stuff, which seems a bit odd to me but hey, self-defense is self-defense. :3:

Anyway knives are dangerous and taking on a weapon with another weapon still puts you at risk. There we can move on now.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 10, 2014

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, but speculating about this is almost as dumb as the people who fantasize about using their gun to take down a bad guy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Funny thing about a knife fight, it actually happens way faster than typing out a post and you can't go back and edit your fight once it's happened. So, could you do a super wrist lock and put on sunglasses and kiss the girl? Sure. But did you?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:stare:

In crazy political emails world, I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about Minnesota's upcoming min wage increase and indexing it to inflation. Usually it brings the pseudo-econ101 types out of the woodwork whenever the subject comes up.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

SedanChair posted:

Funny thing about a knife fight, it actually happens way faster than typing out a post and you can't go back and edit your fight once it's happened. So, could you do a super wrist lock and put on sunglasses and kiss the girl? Sure. But did you?

Paramedics have a saying about knife fights: The loser of a knife fight dies at the scene. The winner dies six hours later at the hospital.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Knight posted:

Isn't a $12k deductible the maximum limit for family coverage? Which is only available as an exception for employer-sponsored plans in the small group market? Because I think the chances of him actually knowing someone forced into such a ridiculous situation is minuscule and he is parroting something he heard.

Not that calling him a liar is the way to proceed, but if he was genuinely concerned about his girlfriend's health care costs he should be looking at the better plans available instead of complaining that she went for the one with the cheapest premium and *surprise* the deductible is high. Does she buy cars from a dealership at sticker price, too?

Yeah the average deductible for a bronze level individual plan is about $5,000. Family plans tend to go more toward $10,000 because--surprise, surprise--it costs more to cover 2+ people then it does to cover 1. I'm assuming this guy's girlfriend has a kid or else was reading the plans incorrectly.

I haven't heard of anyone who was out and out unable to afford a decent plan from the Obamacare website when accounting for subsidies unless they were being deliberately obtuse and only looking at the most expensive plans. Almost everything I've heard about high deductibles, excessive premiums, or other problems have been from people who have insurance through an employer but claim to know someone who had this problem.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Last page but everybody keeps forgetting that it's not just people who currently make minimum wage who will directly benefit from raising it, but everyone who makes less than the new minimum wage. And that's a lot more than 5%, it's closer to 1 in 4: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/07/24/573671/one-in-four-private-sector-workers-earn-less-than-10-an-hour/

Link to the study: http://nelp.3cdn.net/24befb45b36b626a7a_v2m6iirxb.pdf

They aren't forgetting, they are intentionally ignoring it to make their case look bigger in order to save large corporations money, we had several people do this in the minimum wage thread ignoring the evidence each time. It is depressing that our culture has gotten to the point where people actively defend a companies right to make billions more profits on the backs of the starving poor that only survive based on welfare/benefits paid by tax dollars that most corporations do everything in their power not to pay, I understand why the rich would support this but the fact that way too many poor/middle class people support it as well is sickening.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The same analogy is used in one of my favorite Pen&Paper RPGs:

I don't want to say that it's a 'realistic' RPG, but it has some interesting mechanics that make combat an unpleasant experience where no one really wins.

What game is this from? I might steal this for all my games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fulchrum posted:

Actually I thought integrated desk-chair combo sets that weigh like 30 pounds were the standard nowadays. Which is even funnier to imagine some nerd lifting over his head in a blaze of futile glory.