Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Doltos posted:

Haven't coached in a year but apparently all you need for parents to trust you around their impressionable teenagers is up to date CPR and a clean drug test.

Most places dont even require this. If you've never been arrested, you're good to hang out with kids all day long.

Tony Pauline posted:

Last week sources told me they expect an offensive tackle heavy draft from the Seattle Seahawks next month. The hope is to select a versatile edge blocker as protection in case the team cannot resign Russell Okung when his contract is up in two years.

Couple people are floating Joel Bitonio at the bottom of the first if none of the receivers they like are available. So far they've worked out Brandin Cooks (who is going to play for the loving 49ers I just know it. All my favorites end up with the Steelers or 49ers) and Cody Lattimer. I'm not sure why they'd fear getting a deal done with Okung unless he has an absolutely monster, injury-free season (lol) but the line could obviously use more depth and it seems like the consensus is that the WR class is deep enough this year that waiting until the second wouldn't be the worst idea.

Also, this was a cool article I saw linked on Field Gulls. No idea if it's been posted here yet, but I didnt see it!!!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1981056-let-the-games-begin-the-nfl-front-office-lying-season-is-just-getting-started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I don't think you can really treat that as that big of a negative, the decision to draft a guy and the decision to re-sign them after their rookie contract should be evaluated differently. The decision to draft Mario Williams and to not out-complete Buffalo for his services as a free agent were the right thing to do.

You look back at that draft, and how many guys were both worth their original pick and still play for their original team? Like a dozen or so in the entire draft?

I was just being wistful and sad is all

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Schwack posted:

Most places dont even require this. If you've never been arrested, you're good to hang out with kids all day long.

Couple people are floating Joel Bitonio at the bottom of the first if none of the receivers they like are available. So far they've worked out Brandin Cooks (who is going to play for the loving 49ers I just know it. All my favorites end up with the Steelers or 49ers) and Cody Lattimer. I'm not sure why they'd fear getting a deal done with Okung unless he has an absolutely monster, injury-free season (lol) but the line could obviously use more depth and it seems like the consensus is that the WR class is deep enough this year that waiting until the second wouldn't be the worst idea.

Also, this was a cool article I saw linked on Field Gulls. No idea if it's been posted here yet, but I didnt see it!!!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1981056-let-the-games-begin-the-nfl-front-office-lying-season-is-just-getting-started

Our line is so barren that I would be ok with an all tackle and guard draft. Unger is just fine, but Okung misses too many games and everyone else is poo poo.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Damnit. Bitonio was supposed to be a secret that Baltimore could take advantage of in the third.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Chichevache posted:

Our line is so barren that I would be ok with an all tackle and guard draft. Unger is just fine, but Okung misses too many games and everyone else is poo poo.

I guess I have more faith in Bowie and Bailey than most people. Bowie did a reasonable job in spot duty and should see some improvement if he's working with starters full-time. Bailey seems like he's a decent depth guy at least and the package that included both of them in the Super Bowl was pretty effective.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Geno Smith (J E T S JETS JETS JETS), 2013 Soon to be backup

He's backing up Vick though, which means he'll be starting again by October.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Hmm.

Ernie Sims Cowboys
Daniel Bullocks Out of football
Brian Calhoun Out of football
Jonathan Scott Bears by way of Lions by way of Steelers by way of Bills by way of Lions
Dee McCann Out of football
Fred Matua Out of life. Literally dead.
Anthony Cannon Out of football

5 done with football, 1 of whom is literally not breathing.

it's crazy that johnathan scott is still in football. he was beyond atrocious on the steelers and i assume the same everywhere else

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Fun fact, the last time the Browns had the 4th and 26th pick they had just become the Ravens, Drafting Johnathan Ogden 4th and Ray Lewis 26th.

That's a pretty scary thought.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Bills draft!(2006 edition)
8 - SS Donte Whitner : Good, though not great safety. Has been a starter his whole career, first in Buffalo and San Fran and likely again this year for the Browns. A bit underwhelming for such a high pick though.
26(from Bears) - DT John McCargo : An injury-riddled player who was also very, very bad. Played with the Colts briefly(after voiding a trade there by failing the physical) and sucked there. Out of football.
70 - CB Ashton Youboty : The invisible man. Seriously, can anyone even confirm his existence?
105 - FS Ko Simpson : Wasn't very good at playing safety. Got cut, went to Detroit, where lovely safeties go to die. Out of football.
134 - DT Kyle Williams : Multiple Pro-Bowler, still cutting through blocks like a knife through liquefied butter in a Bills uniform. One of seven players surnamed Williams currently on the roster.
143 - RT Brad Butler : A decent right tackle who retired in 2010 to pursue a career in politics. Out of football.
178 - LB Keith Ellison : Reasonable reserve linebacker forced into a starting role. Last seen being trucked into oblivion by a scat-back.
216 - OT Terrance Pennington : Lasted two years, before getting cut. Never caught on elsewhere. Out of football.
248 - G/C Aaron Merz : Like Pennington, except shittier. Out of football.

So, two players still in the NFL. One of them still with the Bills. First draft of the Levy-Jauron era, and it certainly set the tone.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
The 2006 St. Louis Rams Draft, ladies and gentlemen:

1. Tye Hill CB
2. Joe Klopfenstein TE
3. Claude Wroten DT
3. Jon Alston OLB
3. Dominique Byrd TE
4. Victor Adeyanju DE
5. Marques Hagans WR
7. Tim McGarigle ILB
7. Mark Setterstrom OG
7. Tony Palmer OG

Tye Hill was fast, but tiny and awfullllllllllll. Actually awful works for almost everyone in this draft. Claude Wroten couldn't quit smoking pot and never played anyway. Adeyanju was a mediocre to bad pass rusher. I think Tim McGarigle was a decent special teamer, but I can't really remember. If you couldn't guess, none of them are in the NFL now. RAMS.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Jesus, the Redskins only had one pick before the 5th round in 2006. Makes the RG3 era drafts look like a haul.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Patriots in 2006 drafted Maroney and Chad Jackson and a few guys who only did scrub work for ex-Patriots employees. Oh, and a kicker, yay kickers.

shiksa posted:

Jesus, the Redskins only had one pick before the 5th round in 2006. Makes the RG3 era drafts look like a haul.

And two of those picks turned into Brandon Marshall and Manny Lawson, eesh.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

shiksa posted:

They are a laughably bad organization. I guess they've been getting better for sure. Cerrato left an awful mess behind him playing at GM.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The Hawks drafted six players total, two of the picks were in the 7th round. We took a fullback and a punter as well.

:geno:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

The Notorious ZSB posted:

They are a laughably bad organization. I guess they've been getting better for sure. Cerrato left an awful mess behind him playing at GM.

Hey, one of em was a starter last year!

R-...Reed Dought-*puke*

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Chichevache posted:

The Hawks drafted six players total, two of the picks were in the 7th round. We took a fullback and a punter as well.

Kelly Jennings was hot loving garbage. And that draft wouldn't be the first time Ruskell drafted a fullback in the 5th round.

gently caress Tim Ruskell.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

2006 Ravens draft in order

Haloti Ngata (still around)
Chris Chester (now on Washington [only member of their 2011 O-line to start and play every game at the same position)
David Pittman (CFL free agent [signed by 8 teams combined in both leagues between '06 and '12])
Demetrius Williams (free agent, last played in 2012 United Football League)
PJ Daniels (free agent, no games played professionally [didn't play in '06, IR'd in '07, released in '08, picked up never])
Dawan Landry (now on Jets)
Quinn Sypniewski (free agent [tore ACL bumping into teammate in '08, IR'd, waived after failing physical in '10, picked up never])
Sam Koch (still around)
Derrick Martin (now on Bears)
Ryan LaCasse (got Super Bowl ring on Colts, retired, now grad asst coach for Syracuse)

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Bill Parcells final draft as Cowboys coach.

1. Bobby Carpenter - Ugh.
2. Anthony Fasano - Currently with the Cheifs. Not the first Tight End to escape the shadow of Jason Witten.
3. Jason Hatcher - Pretty decent player who broke out when Dallas switched to the 4-3. Now with the Redskins.
4. Skyler Green - I think he was a WR/KR and was a loving bust. I think he was cut before the season started. Currently playing for the New Orleans VooDoo.
5. Pat Watkins - A 6'4" Saftey that was supposed to be the guy to help out Roy Williams in coverage. He couldn't beat out Keith loving Davis for playing time. Currently in the CFL.
6. Montavious Stanley - Practice Squad guy from what I remember.
7. Pat McQuistan -
7. E. J. Whitley - Was on the Cowboys roster in 2006 and played in the CFL in 2008. Currently retired I guess.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Packers started strong in 2006 anyway. After round 2 the best guy just got out of prison.

code:
1	5	A.J. Hawk	OLB - still starting
2	47	Daryn Colledge	G   - 5 year starter, now starting in Arizona
2	52	Greg Jennings	WR  - owns
3	67	Abdul Hodge	LB  - bounced around a couple years, out of football
3	75	Jason Spitz	G   - started a couple years, now backup C in Seattle
4	104	Cory Rodgers	WR  - cut in camp, out of football
4	115	Will Blackmon	CB  - part time starter for the Jags now
5	148	Ingle Martin	QB  - out of football
5	165	Tony Moll	G   - bounced around a few years, out of football
6	183	Johnny Jolly	DT  - loves the purple drank
6	185	Tyrone Culver	DB  - cut, spent 5 unexciting years on the Dolphins
7	253	Dave Tollefson	DE  - cut, was a backup for the raiders

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Bengals 2005 draft:

code:
1 	17(17)   	David Pollack 	  DE 	Georgia          Career ender in week 2 of his second season.
2 	16(48) 	        Odell Thurman 	  ILB 	Georgia		Suspended for full year in '06, suspension became indefinite.
3 	19(83) 	        Chris Henry 	  WR 	West Virginia   Yeah, RIP.
4 	18(119) 	Eric Ghiaciuc 	  C 	Central Mich.   Cincinnati Bengals, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers, Cleveland Browns, Florida Tuskers, New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins.
5 	17(153) 	Adam Kieft 	  OT 	Central Mich.   Injured knee in THE loving ROOKIE MOCK GAME, never recovered.
6 	16(190) 	Tab Perry 	  WR 	UCLA            Kick returner for one year, then blew up knee.
7 	19(233) 	Jonathan Fanene   DE 	Utah		Role player for 4 years with multiple nagging injuries.
All pro talent, Prof Moriarty level commitment to law, and a million injuries. The most hilarious draft in NFL history.

4 of these players made UFL appearances.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 10, 2014

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

So what I'm getting is drafts suck.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Sort of looks like it. Something to console ourselves with come May.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Chichevache posted:

I forgot how bad that draft was

1 - Kelly Jennings - hot trash
2 - Darryl Tapp - JAG, did manage to trade him for Chris Clemons though
4 - Rob Sims - Think he's playing for Detriot?
5 - David Kirtman - terrible fullback who played in like 5 games before retiring
7 - Ryan Plackemeier - punter that played for us for 2 seasons
7 - Ben Obomanu - hey, good pick! Decent receiver for a few years, good value in the 7th round

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
If somebody could teach Donte Moncrief how to stop body catching and highpoint the ball he could be another Josh Gordon. Ideal size, top teir athleticism, combined with that fluid deceptive speed could make any QB happy if he would just lift his hands above his head to catch the ball.

What are some examples of college players who successfully dropped pointless body catching habits at the next level?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Can we marvel at the 2004 and 2005 drafts instead, those loving ruled

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Can we marvel at the 2004 and 2005 drafts instead, those loving ruled

Ugh.

2004 St. Louis Rams Draft
1 Steven Jackson RB - AMAZING.
3 Anthony Hargrove DE - JAG
4 Brandon Chillar LB - Bad
5 Jason Shivers DB - I don't know who this is.
6 Jeff Smoker QB - Never played
7 Erik Jensen TE - Who?
7 Larry Turner OT - Who?

2005 St. Louis Rams Draft
1 Alex Barron OT - Was an okay RT with a billion false starts; garbage fire at LT. Hilariously lost the Cowboys a game once
2 Ronald Bartell DB - Decent
3 Oshiomogho Atogwe DB - Pretty good
3 Richie Incognito - Good when not being a total shithead
4 Jerome Carter DB - Bad
4 Claude Terrell OG - Bad/shithead
5 Jerome Collins TE - Dunno who this is
6 Dante Ridgeway WR - Dunno this dude
6 Reggie Hodges P - Draft pick on a punter, what?
7 Ryan Fitzpatrick QB - Beat the Texans in a cool way once, reps Harvard hard
7 Madison Hedgecock RB - Cut by Rams, went to Giants and actually got used more

Woo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
2 CB 37 Atlanta Falcons Jimmy F. Williams - Started five games rookie year, suspended for MJ posession year 2, cut, never landed with another team.
3 RB 79 Atlanta Falcons Jerious Norwood - loving owned, played for the Rams in 2011, might still be on a practice squad in the CFL somewhere.
5 OT 139 Atlanta Falcons Quinn Ojinnaka - Quality back-up, got arrested for simple battery for spitting on his wife in 2009, got traded... bounced around, never stuck.
6 WR 184 Atlanta Falcons Adam Jennings - caught 6 balls in 2 years, got cut in 2008. Never caught on with another club.
7 WB 223 Atlanta Falcons D. J. Shockley - 3rd string QB, eventually went on to be a 2nd string back-up... in the UFL.

UDFA CB Atlanta Falcons Brent Grimes - Ball-hawking Pro-bowler. Earned the nickname "Optimus Grimes" after his showing against Calvin Johnson in the 2011 season. Most notably for this play:

I don't know how a 5 foot CB out jump-balled Calvin Johnson, but gently caress if he didn't. It was a thing to behold.

An achilles tear in first game of 2012, was allowed to walk to the Dolphins on a prove-it contract, and gently caress IF HE DIDN'T...

PrinceRandom posted:

So what I'm getting is drafts suck.

Yeah, they completely suck. The best Falcons player from the 2006 draft wasn't even loving drafted. All 32 teams passed him up and Atlanta was just plain lucky to get him for the short time they did.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 10, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've been meaning to set up a thread about which draft would field the best team from the last expansion to 2011 (Allowing three years for evaluation as per norm) but :effort:

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
2006 Dolphins Draft:

Overall, kinda a weird draft. None of the players played well for the Dolphins, or even really particularly well, but almost all of them stuck around in the league until shockingly recently.

1st round CB/S Jason Allen- Switched between cornerback and safety multiple times over his career(and even within a single season), never particularly good at either. Marginal starter for three teams over 6 seasons.

3rd round WR Derek Hagan- Never really made a notable impact in Miami even with a dire need for wide receiver, I was actually under the impression he was out of the league after the Dolphins but apparently he played for the Giants, Raiders, Bills, and Raiders again until 2012. Huh.

4th round OT Joe Toledo- Injury prone converted tight end. I don't think ever played a snap in Miami, but shockingly was still in the league until 2011.

7th round DT Fred Evans- Looked like a promising young player until he got arrested for I believe marijuana, then Cam Cameron released him. He's been a pretty good rotational player in Minnesota for years.

7th round DT Rodrique Wright- Was supposed to be a high-round draft pick that fell to the 7th round, and then played like a 7th round pick.

UDFA QB Marcus Vick- Signed as a Slash type guy after he went undrafted, didn't do anything and got cut

7th round WR Devin Aromashodu- Cut in pre-season, but bounced around the league until last pre-season, and played like a solid depth receiver at times for a couple teams.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I remember Jason Allen being a solid cornerback for the Texans. Of course, that's when we were rolling out Kareem Jackson as our #1 as a rookie so just seeing someone competent may have made it seem like he was good.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

JRizzle posted:

Ugh.

2004 St. Louis Rams Draft
1 Steven Jackson RB - AMAZING.
3 Anthony Hargrove DE - JAG
4 Brandon Chillar LB - Bad
5 Jason Shivers DB - I don't know who this is.
6 Jeff Smoker QB - Never played
7 Erik Jensen TE - Who?
7 Larry Turner OT - Who?

2005 St. Louis Rams Draft
1 Alex Barron OT - Was an okay RT with a billion false starts; garbage fire at LT. Hilariously lost the Cowboys a game once
2 Ronald Bartell DB - Decent
3 Oshiomogho Atogwe DB - Pretty good
3 Richie Incognito - Good when not being a total shithead
4 Jerome Carter DB - Bad
4 Claude Terrell OG - Bad/shithead
5 Jerome Collins TE - Dunno who this is
6 Dante Ridgeway WR - Dunno this dude
6 Reggie Hodges P - Draft pick on a punter, what?
7 Ryan Fitzpatrick QB - Beat the Texans in a cool way once, reps Harvard hard
7 Madison Hedgecock RB - Cut by Rams, went to Giants and actually got used more

Woo.

2004 San Diego Chargers:

1. Eli Manning - Flipped for Philip Rivers, perennial pro bowl and top 5 NFL QB
2. Igor Olshansky - Solid starter on the DL for years
3. Nate Kaeding - Pro Bowl kicker for nearly a decade
3. Nick Hardwick - Very good center, still on the team
4. Shaun Phillips - Bookend OLB opposite Shawne Merriman for years. Developed into a very solid starter and team leader
5. Dave Ball - Solid backup, in the league until 2012
5. Michael Turner - Got this pick in exchange for Junior Seau. Solid backup to LdT, became a solid starter in Atlanta for a number of years
6. Ryan Krause - Garbage
6. Ryon Bingham - Garbage
7. Shane Olivea - Solid backup for a few years
7. Carlos Joseph - Never made the cut

2005 San Diego Chargers:

1. Shawne Merriman - Absolute monster for a few short seasons, got his knee taken out by Jeff Fisher's goons and never had surgery to properly recover
1. Luis Castillo - Solid starter on the DL for years
2. Vincent Jackson - Developed into Philip Rivers' #1 WR, now a #1 WR on the Bucs
4. Darren Sproles - Matchup nightmare, made the pro bowl as a returner, was incredibly productive on both the Chargers and Saints
5. Wesley Britt - Trash
6. Wes Sims - Trash
7. Scott Mruczkowski - Backup center for more than half a decade

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's almost like if they weren't head coached by Norv Turner they would have won a Super Bowl or two!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Not really.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
It's Thursday, Philip Rivers is a top 5 quarterback. Check back in 5 days when he is utter trash that should be traded for boiled peanuts.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kirios posted:

I remember Jason Allen being a solid cornerback for the Texans.
You do? He wasn't.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DangerKat posted:

Not really.

They went 14-2 with Marty at the helm and then they shitcanned him for having bad luck and getting on AJ Smith's bad side, I would think that they would have been in contention if they had kept that core together

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

No Safe Word posted:

You do? He wasn't.

I was going to say something but I figured let him have his way of things in the ol memory banks

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

No Safe Word posted:

You do? He wasn't.

Also Kareem was't the #1 corner, Glover Quinn was

e: The Texans have a contest where the winner gets to announce the 4th round pick. Yes, a lucky fan could announce the first day 3 pick! Assuming it isn't traded! Woo! :geno:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 10, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

...did you guys ignore my second sentence or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It's Thursday, Philip Rivers is a top 5 quarterback. Check back in 5 days when he is utter trash that should be traded for boiled peanuts.

He was talking about Eli

• Locked thread