Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So barring anything insane like the Tea Party weirdos going even more crazy and splitting away from the GOP into their own party or something this is life for like another decade at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Joementum posted:

Of course, the reason that the pattern is mirrored in the Senate is because the polarization was not (chiefly) caused by redistricting.

Actually the reason is very obvious to any red-blooded american:

Clinton Did It!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Monkey Fracas posted:

So barring anything insane like the Tea Party weirdos going even more crazy and splitting away from the GOP into their own party or something this is life for like another decade at least.

Nah, I think if we can make it through to 2016 we have a good chance of long-term Democratic control again after that. 2014-2016 looks to be a slough of despond though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Monkey Fracas posted:

Well, six years really. The next House redistricting is in 2020, and that's a Presidential Election year, one in which a Democrat could be up for a second term. If the Democrats do well in local elections, we may see the end to a number of the supermajorities the Republicans have in some state legislatures and thus an end to some of the blatant House District gerrymandering some states see as a result.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nah, I think if we can make it through to 2016 we have a good chance of long-term Democratic control again after that. 2014-2016 looks to be a slough of despond though.
Term one of the next President, if it's a Democrat, will be more or less status quo unless a conservative judge on the Supreme Court gets replaced.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

axeil posted:

It'll probably end conservatives screaming that Colbert isn't a parody he really is saying all that stuff and is meta-trolling liberals or whatever the hell their argument was.

I too wonder how conservatives are reacting to this announcement. Let's go to the tape!
http://mediamatters.org/mobile/video/2014/04/10/rush-cbs-has-just-declared-war-on-the-heartland/198837

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

I too wonder how conservatives are reacting to this announcement. Let's go to the tape!
http://mediamatters.org/mobile/video/2014/04/10/rush-cbs-has-just-declared-war-on-the-heartland/198837

Ah the culture war :allears:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Won't that make her reelection more difficult with lower enthusiasm? What if a Republican won in 2016, extremely narrowly, enough that people could remember how lovely they are while Dems still manage to hold the senate til 2020 as a safety measure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Won't that make her reelection more difficult with lower enthusiasm? What if a Republican won in 2016, extremely narrowly, enough that people could remember how lovely they are while Dems still manage to hold the senate til 2020 as a safety measure.

People can't remember that the GOP were shitheads 2 weeks later, I don't "reminding people how lovely they are" is in anyway a viable political strategy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think you could more or less objectively prove that the GOP has become more radical (or at least has more radical elements present in it) than in recent times but I tend to dismiss any notions that the Democratic party has also become more radical as truth-in-the-middle horseshit. I attribute the lack of conservative voting among D lawmakers to an unwillingness to compromise due to a history of the R side just being extremely untrustworthy during almost any and all negotiations.
The Blue Dog sorts seem to have either switched sides or been run out in favor of a Tea Party death commando, so if the Democrats have gotten 'more extreme' it's in the sense that they've lost some moderates.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

greatn posted:

If the Republicans win the Presidency in 2016, it will be merely the end result of a series of events going terribly wrong. In the event of that, the Republicans will surely have won the Senate in 2014, and hold it in 2016, and I may have killed myself.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

So I have a story to share about my local area. We have two army depots, Red River and Lone Star ammo. Besides the tire plant and paper mills, they are a major contributor to jobs and our local economy. In high school, the two depots were threatened to be shut down completely. There was a large public outrage to keep the two opened, which we won. However, it's been threatened again by BRAC.

So, what the hell is BRAC? Does this have something to do with the military it's mentioned in the OP?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Base Realignment and Closure, it's the process by which the federal government determines which bases and facilities to keep open, close, change missions, personnel etc.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

People can't remember that the GOP were shitheads 2 weeks later, I don't "reminding people how lovely they are" is in anyway a viable political strategy.

Well that's largely because our news commentary is heavily invested in the idea that the republicans are the sensible adults in the room and the serious ones (so they latch on things that promote that eg Ryan as anything but a fraud) and there is a lot of money and power pushing that. Plus (and on further consideration this may be the main thing) GOP failures are slammed as individual fuckups (eg Akin) whereas Democrat failures are slammed as failures of ideology

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Barack Really Abhors the Corps

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

greatn posted:

The GOP almost caused a debt default for fun and shut down the government for nearly a month and everyone has already forgotten about it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Swan Oat posted:

Barack Really Abhors the Corpse

More like BaRACk Obama

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Joementum posted:

Here's a chart for that:

So, this chart is saying that Republicans were conservative and Democrats were liberal in 1879? How does it decide what counts as conservative and liberal? Back then it was the Democrats who were racist southerners trying to shut down the federal government.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

The Blue Dog sorts seem to have either switched sides or been run out in favor of a Tea Party death commando, so if the Democrats have gotten 'more extreme' it's in the sense that they've lost some moderates.
I'm curious how well Hillary Clinton (assuming she's the nominee) will be able to pull in votes from some of the more southern/suburban white/Blue Dog Democratic areas since that black guy Obama won't be running again. Or course, you're trading racism for misogyny, but that's a bit of a tougher road to walk since more than half of the population is female, and the Republicans have also shown they really, really can't keep their mouths shut about rape abortion equal pay birth control every single women's issue ever, and that's before we get to their burning hatred of Hillary Clinton.

richardfun posted:

I don't mean to be 'that guy', but Libya is not in the Middle East. It's in Africa...
Sub-Saharan Africa isn't part of the Middle East, but Northern Africa has ties to both Africa and the Middle East, and Libya's kind of on the border of both; given that the Libyan Civil War was part of the "Arab Spring" I sort of group it more with the Middle East than Africa.

TL;DR: "Middle East" is a really vague term.

badatom
Dec 10, 2011

Joementum posted:

Here's a chart for that:

Oh, good, something else we can blame Reagan for!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

badatom posted:

Oh, good, something else we can blame Reagan for!

Actually that one is :newt: as a freshman he and his challenges really pushed the voting lockstep and radicalism.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Yessod posted:

So, this chart is saying that Republicans were conservative and Democrats were liberal in 1879? How does it decide what counts as conservative and liberal? Back then it was the Democrats who were racist southerners trying to shut down the federal government.

Research has shown that there are basically two dimensions that can be used to explain Congressional voting: one based on a liberal-conservative economic spectrum and the other on non-economic social issues. That chart, and basically anything you see that tries to show political polarization in Congress, uses the DW-NOMINATE scores from the first dimension.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Most Medicaid funding is tied up in long-term health care costs -- nursing homes, assisted living facilities, etc. -- so those would likely be the first cuts to be made. If you have a family member or relative in a Medicaid-funded nursing home bed, under the Ryan budget, that relative is likely either moving into your house or getting abandoned on the street. Think of the savings!

Look man I don't like this any more than you do but we need to make some tough calls and Obamacare is a failure.

See, making that debt graph shrink is way better than caring for the elderly. They'll be fine, they've got retirement savings and pensions and dishwashers and all sorts of other first world amenities. It's practically too easy to keep alive nowadays as a 70+ year old person.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

How... Responsible! :swoon:

Paul Ryan is my kind of serious politician, not like that fiscally irresponsible House Progressive Caucus...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The constant banging on the Austerity Drum by the GOP might carry a bit more weight if it actually worked.

Like if it killed a bunch of elderly people and cursed the poor to never leave their socioeconomic class buuuuut actually helped us become strong economically as a country it would at least be a choice. A lovely choice, but a choice.

As is it's the plan where we enact sociopathic policies that do not actually provide any benefit to us.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Monkey Fracas posted:

The constant banging on the Austerity Drum by the GOP might carry a bit more weight if it actually worked.

Like if it killed a bunch of elderly people and cursed the poor to never leave their socioeconomic class buuuuut actually helped us become strong economically as a country it would at least be a choice. A lovely choice, but a choice.

As is it's the plan where we enact sociopathic policies that do not actually provide any benefit to us.
Depends who you mean by "us." The program sure works out great if you're an investor! :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Austerity is lovely, but for countries that have to depend on outsiders to finance their debt it's an option they sometimes have to consider, especially if their debt is rising out of control.

The United States is of course not one of those countries and so austerity is ridiculous in our context.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
For people claiming to see the GOP's lies a lot of people here seem to fall for their propaganda pretty easily.

No, Americans don't forget who the GOP is. If they did, 2012 wouldn't have happened.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

loquacius posted:

Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia are reading this post and laughing diabolically somewhere right now.

Clarence Thomas never laughs about legal matters.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

True he snores. :v:

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
Kathleen Sebelius is resigning.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The real giveaway is that the words "Clarence Thomas" and "reading" appeared in the same sentence.

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp

Why?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Makes sense. She was toast after last fall, but hitting the signup target lets her and the administration save face.

The confirmation hearings for her replacement will be a circus.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The #BENGHAZI coverup claims another victim.

She will be missed.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

quote:

President Barack Obama intends to nominate Sylvia Burwell, current director of the Office of Management and Budget, to replace Sebelius, according to the official.
Why Sylvia Burwell. I'm not knocking her; I'm looking for what ya'll think of her nomination.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Because she can retire in dignity knowing that she accomplished A Thing, versus all of the Republicans who have been yelling and vilifying her for the past 5 years.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Radish posted:

I highly doubt it. Half the country has totally bought into their idea that the government is inherently worse than the private sector for anything so there's no push from the populace to solve this deadlock one way or the other. It feels to me that the future of the country is coasting on whatever we can drag out of congress while social programs are slowly starved and replaced with whatever scam someone who wants to earn a quick buck creates in its absence. Congress doesn't seem like it's going to change anytime soon and the senate seems like a 50-50 coin flip as well.

I'm more curious as to what caused this whole deadlock in the first place. My gut* tells me that a combination of factors like 9-11 and the rapid advancement of technology in media especially is causing us all to just stare at the shiny thing on the ground without actually picking it up and doing anything with it.

*: "My gut" translates to "having no evidence for this whatsoever"

JT Jag posted:

If the Republicans win the Presidency in 2016, it will be merely the end result of a series of events going terribly wrong. In the event of that, the Republicans will surely have won the Senate in 2014, and hold it in 2016, and I may have killed myself.

I am so with you on this point.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 11, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Is this the one where they also did not even try to hide the fact that they were increasing defense spending?

Decades of the same ol' bullshit.

Yeah there is no way Late Nite Colbert is going to be anywhere near as entertaining as Fake Conservative Blowhard Colbert.

Late Night with Fake Conservative Blowhard Colbert (Report) should be a given though? I mean if CBS is hiring him but don't want him bringing along the persona that's made him popular in the first place then CBS has a terminal case of the stupids.

greatn posted:

If the GOP holds the House and White House you know full well enough Dems will bend knee to get the GOP votes when they want to pass something, and if the GOP gets the senate then they will immediately go full nuclear if the Democrats don't agree to do as they're told.

anonumos posted:

Why Sylvia Burwell. I'm not knocking her; I'm looking for what ya'll think of her nomination.

"Burwell, 48, was confirmed to her current Cabinet-rank position in April 2013. She came to the White House from her spot atop the Walmart Foundation."

Sounds legit. I know when I think of HHS leadership I think of Walmart! :buddy:

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp

Evil Fluffy posted:

If the GOP holds the House and White House you know full well enough Dems will bend knee to get the GOP votes when they want to pass something, and if the GOP gets the senate then they will immediately go full nuclear if the Democrats don't agree to do as they're told.

Calm the gently caress down both of you the only reason the Republicans will have any chance at the senate in 2014 and 2016 is because of partisan redistricting. The GOP are extinct based on demographic shifts that were put into motion years ago that no one can stop. Even if magically one of the horrible picks from the runners of the GOP primary won the presidency in 2016 against HILLARY going into 2020 they would inherit a nation where 49% of the voting population were millenials, and 35% were minorities. By that point in time 88% of the us population will live in urban areas and the political shift and backlash against them if they won in 2016 and had free reign to enact policies for 4 years would be worse than if they had lost.

There is no way in hell Republicans have any chance in the future. They are a dying party. Stop clutching for defeat from the hands of victory you worrywarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Looks like Burwell will get at least one Republican vote for confirmation. Also, I decided to include some of the replies.

• Locked thread